As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Hearthstone] Wizzing Toys for Everyone

• fortyforty Registered User regular
    Grobian wrote: »
    forty wrote: »
    Armor is back in BGs.

Also a new hero (bad) and some minion changes (good-ish?)

Tidehunter (Token Murloc at tier 1) was replaced with a 1/4 that grows in attack, which is kinda good.
    Tidehunter removal is a deceptively huge change, because a lot of high level play with certain heroes revolved around either abusing token generation to hit multiple triples for T5/T6 minions (now will only be possible with the cat). And in general for a lot of heroes, players want to get a token start for the economy and how it lets them curve out their tier ups. Now there are only two T1 token minions (cat and Sellemental).

• I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    bnl9qnfj0e4n.png

y'all want some mech mage?

...what do you mean no?

(arms are 2/3s with rush)

liEt3nH.png
  • The JudgeThe Judge The Terwilliger CurvesRegistered User regular
    Any mechs for Mages should really lean into it and fire wands instead of rockets.

Last pint: Turmoil CDA / Barley Brown's - Untappd: TheJudge_PDX
  • The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    It's impressive how bad they managed to make Mercenaries. The desire to not play it overrode my compulsion to complete every quest in my tray and actually got me to close the game entirely to do something else.

That takes a lot to manage.

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    The Judge wrote: »
    Any mechs for Mages should really lean into it and fire wands instead of rockets.

Bippity Boppity Boom!

• KafkaAUKafkaAU Western AustraliaRegistered User regular
    It's impressive how bad they managed to make Mercenaries. The desire to not play it overrode my compulsion to complete every quest in my tray and actually got me to close the game entirely to do something else.

That takes a lot to manage.

Yea I stopped playing mercs a while ago and that quest just reinforced the decision. Trying to do the duels quest and sat in a queue for 10 minutes, then had to close the game cause I didn’t have time.

steam_sig.png
    Origin: KafkaAU B-Net: Kafka#1778
    edited March 2022
    I queued for my first Duel earlier and it was quick, but then I had to head out. Hopefully my next 2 are quick as well. I'll probably just AFK them because Duels are crap.

forty on
  • AlphagaiaAlphagaia Registered User regular
    bnl9qnfj0e4n.png

y'all want some mech mage?

...what do you mean no?

(arms are 2/3s with rush)

I'm kinda obligated to play this, right?

Wanna try my Mario Maker levels?

Shoot m to BITS (hold Y) [hard] C109-0000-014D-4E09
    P-POWER Switch Palace 3838-0000-0122-9359
    Raiding the Serpents Tomb 1A04-0000-0098-C11E
    I like to move it, move it FCE2-0000-00D7-9048

See my profile here!
    edited March 2022
    Fuck Shaman. Fuck Freeze.

I like how my pocket meta is always whatever hard counters me.

forty on
    edited March 2022
    Beasteh wrote: »
    Messing around with shadow priest because allegedly it beats ramp druid but now it fucking doesn't because they all run double feral rage and moontouched amulet on top of solar cenarion ward

Absolute horse shit

e: folds to beast druid as well like it's not even close, they have a stranglehold on the board and endless refill

ee: i'm not even sure what this deck does beat, i'm 0-9 and i consider myself a fairly decent player most of the time
    I am having the exact same experience. Trying to play Shadow Priest to beat druids (I did win my first match against a druid), then have been running into a bunch of non-druids that have no trouble against the deck.

Edit: I guess not the exact same since I have been faring well against the (now conveniently) sparse Druid population.

Edit2: It is unfuckingfathomable by mortal minds how often I draw both Benedictus and Smite by turn 4. Team 5 hates certain accounts. Ahhh, there's the bullshit unwinnable Druid game, just as I dare to hit a win streak. Did the class really need a 14 spreadable damage board clear they can easily play by turn 5 or earlier?

forty on
    ej1t0a82qumg.png

well that sure is a card that says Summon and not Play

liEt3nH.png
  • The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    edited March 2022
    dude what are these quest lines. the hunter played a 5 mana 7/7 on turn 7 that gave them full unnerfed raza shadow anduin combo with zero chance at interaction

The Escape Goat on
    9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • BeastehBeasteh THAT WOULD NOT KILL DRACULARegistered User regular
    edited March 2022
    Yes that's quest hunter alright

The trick is to kill them before they go off

e: jesus fucking christ iwiks1j1jdzv.png

Beasteh on
  • ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    I already hate that card

• YiliasYilias Registered User regular
    Wild VS #31

Surprises for me:
    Caverns (the original quest) Rogue, I knew it was pretty good but I really thought it's aggro matchups would hold it back a bit more
    Reno Paladin, the article segment seems a bit surprised about this too, and I can't say I've ever seen one on ladder, but I'm sure it'll show up a lot more now as people look for the best option in the archetype

Steam - BNet: Yilias #1224 - Riot: Yilias #moc
    Watching Dog on Twitch you can see some of the craziest Battlegrounds matches. I managed to get a screenshot of his final battle in one of the nuttiest runs I've ever seen:

tA9FCVQ.png

• Marty81Marty81 Registered User regular
    BGs is a dumpster fire right now.

dude what are these quest lines. the hunter played a 5 mana 7/7 on turn 7 that gave them full unnerfed raza shadow anduin combo with zero chance at interaction

Yeah pretty much all of the questlines give permanent nutty buffs to the player once completed. In a way they're kind of fascinating to me because you see how questlines came about. Quests back when they were first made, right, they're a way to try and clearly communicate to the player that your opponent is building towards their Win Condition. 5/7, 6/7, you better close it out! But it didn't really feel like that to players because most quest Win Conditions don't win you the game right there, because in general, Hearthstone wants you to feel like if you almost have them, you've maybe got room in the next turn or two to close it out despite their Win Condition completion. Instead it just felt like the opponent got to do something really unfair for no reason.

Well okay, Hearthstone says, let's split the quest into steps. That'll really make it feel like they're BUILDING UP to something. And then we'll make the win conditions even more powerful, because Hearthstone has been power crept and also to make it even clearer that they completed their deck goal and they won. But of course we'll still give you like, that one turn to sneak it out, if you can!

And instead it just feels like they got to do something even more unfair for no reason. Especially since a lot of questline decks don't even "play Hearthstone" anymore! Quest Mage and Quest Hunter are notorious for basically not playing minions at all for you to interact with and for just playing removal 80% of the game.

liEt3nH.png
    yeah that's a really good way to sum it up

this is a very annoying solution since the thing they want to do is explicitly use as much of their cheap removal on your minions as possible

guess it's time to go back to ol' reliable, burn shaman

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg

this is a very annoying solution since the thing they want to do is explicitly use as much of their cheap removal on your minions as possible

have you heard what the shaman questline does

liEt3nH.png

have you heard what the shaman questline does

I have, I thought it was dumb but not the most broken bc you have to spend so much gas to get there. unless they got strong refill tools printed as well

I thought the priest hero card that leper gnomes you forty times was much dumber as an expensive burn finisher

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
    Just going by the stats though, Questlines currently aren't overperforming or dominating the meta.

unless they got strong refill tools printed as well

mav6aq5h98r7.png
    mq8vbcb5s2wk.png
    bag9c6h0e774.png

(though also burn shaman is generally better than quest shaman because you just have so much now that you don't even need to bother with the quest

liEt3nH.png
    Just going by the stats though, Questlines currently aren't overperforming or dominating the meta.

yeah questlines are generally speaking
    A) too slow for the aggro decks
    B) not fast enough for ramp druid

but if we're going to have a fun time talking about the power level of cards in general we're probably going to talk about them abstractly over the course of their played history, and not just a snapshot of this moment of time shortly after the release of meta-defining new cards

liEt3nH.png
    Well, some of them simply came out overtuned and were subsequently nerfed to a point where they seem to be fine. That applies to some of the old Quests as well.

• rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    Well, some of them simply came out overtuned and were subsequently nerfed to a point where they seem to be fine. That applies to some of the old Quests as well.

How am I supposed to cry about how objectively bad these things are if I have to rely on silly things like facts and stats?

I have made the point several times that I'm not saying these things are broken. I'm talking about the design, something the winrate has no bearing on

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
    personally the thread is slow enough that i welcome any post in a storm

liEt3nH.png
    edited March 2022
    I think you could make the argument that Questlines are better designed than Quests, since the partial rewards along the way allow them to be less binary. The Quests were basically about playing suboptimal cards or bad tempo with a (theoretically) explosive payoff at the end. The progression steps allow there to be assorted mini-spikes along the way, so you can feel like you got some benefit out of playing down a card/turn even if you lose before you finish the Questline.

Edit: I wish they would have shortened the damn animations though.

forty on
    :)

dam546sr8v0f.jpg

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
    Escape Goat pounding those privates. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

the heck is the honor system anyway

I haven't seen any explanation for it anywhere, number just go up

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
    Oh it's just a quest system running during the Alterac Valley season, it'll go away next expansion release. It's just a series of quests that rewards gold copies of several cards, with the framing being the WoW PVP system.

liEt3nH.png
  • GrobianGrobian What's on sale? Pliers!Registered User regular
    Grobian wrote: »
    Armor is back in BGs.

Also a new hero (bad) and some minion changes (good-ish?)

Tidehunter (Token Murloc at tier 1) was replaced with a 1/4 that grows in attack, which is kinda good.
    Tidehunter removal is a deceptively huge change, because a lot of high level play with certain heroes revolved around either abusing token generation to hit multiple triples for T5/T6 minions (now will only be possible with the cat). And in general for a lot of heroes, players want to get a token start for the economy and how it lets them curve out their tier ups. Now there are only two T1 token minions (cat and Sellemental).

The new hero plays way better than I thought.

dhch2ev17ynk.png

It helps that you have a lot of armor and in that game I also had the Brann, which is of course op. But the early game isn't as bad as AFKay (you only lose turn 1, on turn 2 you can often win or tie), especially since the "classic" curve is more common again. I think you have to level aggressively, so it can also crash hard, but the turn you get your buddy is a huge tempo turn more often than not.

92p17hyicn5t.png

liEt3nH.png
    New minion Friend of a Friend has already been removed from Battlegrounds

liEt3nH.png
  • BeastehBeasteh THAT WOULD NOT KILL DRACULARegistered User regular
    edited March 2022
    New minion Friend of a Friend has already been removed from Battlegrounds

huh? i literally just won a game with it 15 seconds ago

MVxm5EZ.png

brann + friend of a friend = all the ice blocks and doggy biscuits

beat a guy who had elementals with 500+ atk/def

Beasteh on
    Pardon me, I mean already being removed from battlegrounds

https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/hearthstone/t/friend-of-a-friend-leaving-battlegrounds/83523

Wednesday

liEt3nH.png
  • GrobianGrobian What's on sale? Pliers!Registered User regular
    It was obviously silly and untested. I'm still surprised they reacted this fast.

edited March 2022
    Marty81 wrote: »
    BGs is a dumpster fire right now.
    Brann and some of the Battlecry buddies/Friend of a Friend can lead to some ridiculous feedback loops. I watched Tyler get a relatively early Golden Brann playing Zephrys today and a couple turns later he was just going ham with Buddies and other generators.

Pardon me, I mean already being removed from battlegrounds

https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/hearthstone/t/friend-of-a-friend-leaving-battlegrounds/83523

Wednesday
    Whoops, better abuse it now while you can!

forty on