As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Comic comments gone for good?

I'm wondering if the user comments view in the comic page (built on top of this forum, I believe) is gone for good (or am I just missing something?) I used to find that useful and it seems like an easy thing to have at the bottom of the current hybrid view with the comic+post+tycho/gabe comments (which I love by the way).

• Options
    zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    unknown at this time, but it is not currently integrated the way it was before.

• Options
    MarcinMNMarcinMN Registered User regular
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't the comment box under the comic the only way to generate a comment thread on the forum for each new comic? I was always under the impression that it was the only way since there is no "New Discussion" button in the Penny Arcade Hub section of the forum.

"It's just as I've always said. We are being digested by an amoral universe."

-Tycho Brahe
  • Options
    ATF_GriffATF_Griff Registered User regular
    This is relevant to my interests.

• Options
    dennisdennis aka bingley Registered User regular
    I'm missing the comment threads as well. I dropped an @ to Buland on discord just to check in and see if this is on the to do list somewhere or what.

• Options
    Buland's response:
    Potentially still to do. It's going to be another big project to make the forums match up and fit seamlessly, not to mention work with mobile well (and in an iframe).

• Options
    Might be nice if we had an interim forum for it, with user-created threads.

• Options
    MarcinMNMarcinMN Registered User regular
    dennis wrote: »

I wonder if they could just set up the Dog account to create a thread for each comic when it's published rather than when someone comments.

Or just give us one ongoing thread to use in the interim. :)

"It's just as I've always said. We are being digested by an amoral universe."

-Tycho Brahe
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    MarcinMN wrote: »
    dennis wrote: »

I wonder if they could just set up the Dog account to create a thread for each comic when it's published rather than when someone comments.

Or just give us one ongoing thread to use in the interim. :)

https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/243474/webcomics-what-are-they-worth-to-you#latest

tee hee

• Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    We'll figure something out in the future, the new site architecture isn't fully compatible with the forums in the same way. We're looking into solutions, and we'll keep you posted!

• Options
    DJ Eebs wrote: »
    We'll figure something out in the future, the new site architecture isn't fully compatible with the forums in the same way. We're looking into solutions, and we'll keep you posted!

Personally, I don't really much care if the comments don't show up on the page. If anything, I'd lean towards them not showing up, as posters there tend to be the more drive-by type who don't read the other comments.

I'd just like to have a thread created automatically for each comic.

• Options
    BahamutEosBahamutEos Registered User regular
    I figure the forums don't have a ton of people posting any more but I liked the comic thread. I kinda get the same experience on the Facebook page though.

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    We used to discuss the PA comic in the general webcomics discussion thread in Social Entropy, then when it was decided to make the discussion threads for PA comics have their own subforum that could be hooked into the main site comments sections, it sort of became the every-webcomic-except-PA thread. But at some point we just started discussing PA in the general webcomic thread again anyway. When did that happen? I don't remember. But that's at least a fairly active option on these forums if you want it.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    palidine40palidine40 Registered User regular
    The comments section under every comic proves to any passerby that this is a community, and is somewhat of an inviting way to get new people involved in it. Imo, its needed. If anything, to try to keep the forums more alive and fresh, and also to show feedback to the feedbackers.

• Options
    A community? That wasn't what it looked like to me. It looked like little isolated pockets of comments that didn't in any way connect together. Like any disqus, etc. comments on a random web site you run across. Discoverability of the rest of the PA Forums as a community (at least from the comic comments) was low.

• Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    palidine40 wrote: »
    The comments section under every comic proves to any passerby that this is a community, and is somewhat of an inviting way to get new people involved in it. Imo, its needed. If anything, to try to keep the forums more alive and fresh, and also to show feedback to the feedbackers.
    I can see thinking that if you're used to reading the comments through the forums, but don't forget that that was linked to the comments section below every strip. I expect that the vast majority of people from outside the forums are commenting through that with no idea that there's a forum on the other end.

• Options
    RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    But you need a forum account to comment, so they had to come here at least once

Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    I could swear you could do that from the main site, but it's been years since I made my account so I'm not sure.

• Options
    cB557 wrote: »
    I could swear you could do that from the main site, but it's been years since I made my account so I'm not sure.

That's my memory as well.

• Options
    RatherDashing89RatherDashing89 Registered User regular
    So are we going to end up having somewhere to discuss the comments? I need to make sure everyone knows I got the Importance of Being Earnest joke from weeks ago!

• Options
    MercadeMercade Registered User regular
    A general PA Comic Discussion Thread in the Hub would be a good stop-gap until automagic integration happens again

Switch: SW-1909-0466-9585
  • Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    We should have a solution for this shortly, I'll let everyone know when we've got everything turned on again.

• Options
    edited March 2022
    Really appreciate having the comic threads back!

Edit: And I also really like how the link now it takes you to a page with the comic AND the newspost (if it exists). This is an incredibly handy improvement.

dennis on