As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

One [Elden] Ring to Rule Them All

OghulkOghulk Tinychat JanitorTinychatRegistered User regular
edited April 2022 in Social Entropy++
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AKXiKBnzpBQ

khqvsr94uqiz.png

This is a new thread to discuss Elden Ring.

Mark your spoilers, people get antsy about those things.

e: OP finished game so open spoilers now

Oghulk on

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    edited March 2022
    I am now looking for a rot-type ash to slap on my katana because sure I can kill bosses fast but what if I killed them even faster?

I'd go for blood type but that seems to not scale so well with DEX

Madican on
  • Options
    HawkstoneHawkstone Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things. Somewhere outside of BarstowRegistered User regular
    I give up, no fancy Katana for me. 4 hours and I got a second person once.

Inside of a dog...it's too dark to read.
  • Options
    AngrySquirrelAngrySquirrel Registered User regular
    Hawkstone wrote: »
    I give up, no fancy Katana for me. 4 hours and I got a second person once.

What platform? If you are on PC I'll lend my Katanas in the effort to get yours.

Live/PSN: IronSquirrel ,, Steam: angrysquirrel
    Battle.net: IronSquirrel#1462
  • Options
    HawkstoneHawkstone Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things. Somewhere outside of BarstowRegistered User regular
    PS5, no worries, I will run away and come back over leveled a week from now. It was just wild the luck I had. Naked people, folks running off, half hour waits. Never seen that before,

Inside of a dog...it's too dark to read.
  • Options
    useruser Registered User regular
    About that second pic in the OP ... I can't with the boss of the Sellia Hideaway, its about all I can do to trash the casting element, then my Spirit Ash dies to the other elements and I am quickly eating death to Scarlet Rot, I think this is hardest fight in the game so far.

• Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2022
    Yeah that boss battle was a huge sticking point for me, ended up having to respec to get past it. Spear guy's combo is super predictable but trying to deal with it at the same time as the other two was rage inducing

Houk the Namebringer on
  • Options
    BaidolBaidol I will hold him off Escape while you canRegistered User regular
    If you're not already doing it, get a hammer.

Steam Overwatch: Baidol#1957
  • Options
    Jump attacks! I let my marionettes handle the ring and spear people then kept doing jump attacks on the caster until they staggered, which removes their damage reduction. Critical him, a few more jumps, and he dies. After that marionettes were either dead or close to and I peeled off the spear guy with another jump attack then baited his three combo for more jumps until he also staggered. Critical and clean up. With just ring left it was pretty simple, just had to watch out for some of their moves until they staggered.

• Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    user wrote: »
    About that second pic in the OP ... I can't with the boss of the Sellia Hideaway, its about all I can do to trash the casting element, then my Spirit Ash dies to the other elements and I am quickly eating death to Scarlet Rot, I think this is hardest fight in the game so far.
    i had to summon the mimic for this one because i literally could not get a hit in solo between the spear guy spamming his combo and the ranged guy spamming his projectiles

real dumb fight

• Options
    useruser Registered User regular
    Elendil wrote: »
    i had to summon the mimic for this one because i literally could not get a hit in solo between the spear guy spamming his combo and the ranged guy spamming his projectiles

real dumb fight
    Yeah, this toon is a caster so all this talk about battering them to death after breaking their armor is kinda a non-starter. My best spell for it is the Night Maiden's Mist, but it's tough to get it cast, I've definitely been able to get the caster down reliably but without a distraction against the other two (RIP Ash Summon), I just cant get the spells out.

I think I'm a little early into this area ~just under level 70, so maybe I'll just have to wait until I get sturdier Ash Summons (rn I have a couple Legendaries but only +3) -- come to think of it I haven't gotten a single Ash Summon that does what I think would be Striking Damage so maybe that would be the ticket.

• Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    Elendil wrote: »

real dumb fight
    Yeah, this toon is a caster so all this talk about battering them to death after breaking their armor is kinda a non-starter. My best spell for it is the Night Maiden's Mist, but it's tough to get it cast, I've definitely been able to get the caster down reliably but without a distraction against the other two (RIP Ash Summon), I just cant get the spells out.

I think I'm a little early into this area ~just under level 70, so maybe I'll just have to wait until I get sturdier Ash Summons (rn I have a couple Legendaries but only +3) -- come to think of it I haven't gotten a single Ash Summon that does what I think would be Striking Damage so maybe that would be the ticket.
    tbh you can literally just put on a mace and hit them with it. if you're able to land even a couple jumping R2s with a blunt weapon they'll crumple easily. i had upgraded a mace at this stage specifically for these guys. but the earlier ones, i just put on a +0 mace and did it. (bare fists do not work). it's landing those hits that's difficult.

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    Regression alone reveals secrets

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    Dung Eater question:
    Is the implication that the dude rapes people to death to curse them?

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular

About this:
    I don't know if the implication here is that Marika/Radagon are essentially trans or if they are truly separate people of separate genders inhabiting the same body. Is there something in the game that makes it clear one way or the other or is it left ambiguous?

wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    cursedkingcursedking Registered User regular

About this:
    I don't know if the implication here is that Marika/Radagon are essentially trans or if they are truly separate people of separate genders inhabiting the same body. Is there something in the game that makes it clear one way or the other or is it left ambiguous?
    I mean, marika has a consort, that person leaves, and then radagon joins her instead. Whatever the body situation is, I don’t think it could be clearer that they are separate people. Also one wants to fix the ring and one wants to destroy it.

Types: Boom + Robo | Food: Sweet | Habitat: Plains
  • Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    milski wrote: »
    Dung Eater question:
    I mean, maybe

it could just be he's cursed and does something spooky to them, or him killing them does something to their souls which impacts them when they re-enter the reincarnation cycle or whatever. although its interesting in reading his armor lore that he's not an omen himself, so IDK

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    Naphtali wrote: »
    milski wrote: »
    Dung Eater question:
    I mean, maybe

it could just be he's cursed and does something spooky to them, or him killing them does something to their souls which impacts them when they re-enter the reincarnation cycle or whatever. although its interesting in reading his armor lore that he's not an omen himself, so IDK
    There's a lot of blood around the crotch of most of the seeded corpses

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
    edited March 2022
    cursedking wrote: »

About this:
    I mean, marika has a consort, that person leaves, and then radagon joins her instead. Whatever the body situation is, I don’t think it could be clearer that they are separate people. Also one wants to fix the ring and one wants to destroy it.

Re Radagon/Marika

It seems like a Dragonball situation
    where someone split in two over competing motivations in their psyche but somehow they're still the same person

Platy on
  • Options
    MidniteMidnite Registered User regular

About this:
    During the dialogue with Kenneth Haight he tells you that Godrick hid himself among the women in order to flee the capital. The description of the Mimic's Veil says when Godrick fled it was the only treasure he took. It's also known as "Marika's Mischief".

Coupled with the message that gets displayed when you use the gesture in front of the statue the game is definitely outright saying they're the same person. Why do they seem to have such opposing goals? I mean Marika is a god that is diametrically opposed to the very force giving her godhood. There's a lot of room for reasons: it could be a ruse, maybe the greater will and the fingers don't know they're the same. It could be a genuine second personality. I think it's ambiguous on purpose to fuel speculation.

• Options
    Moth 13Moth 13 Registered User regular
    edited March 2022
    Oh nice, new patch fixed the glitch where Nepheli would just die instead of continuing her quest if you were too far in the game when her story got patched back in.

Moth 13 on
  • Options
    edited March 2022
    Midnite wrote: »

About this:
    During the dialogue with Kenneth Haight he tells you that Godrick hid himself among the women in order to flee the capital. The description of the Mimic's Veil says when Godrick fled it was the only treasure he took. It's also known as "Marika's Mischief".

Coupled with the message that gets displayed when you use the gesture in front of the statue the game is definitely outright saying they're the same person. Why do they seem to have such opposing goals? I mean Marika is a god that is diametrically opposed to the very force giving her godhood. There's a lot of room for reasons: it could be a ruse, maybe the greater will and the fingers don't know they're the same. It could be a genuine second personality. I think it's ambiguous on purpose to fuel speculation.
    They are in separate places at the same time, they cannot be the same person. I think platy is correct that some kind of separation happened, or it’s the reverse and when radagon goes to the capital they are joined.

“Radagon is marika” has so many interpretations that are not just literally the same person

cursedking on
  • Options
    Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular
    Updates of my definitely not Ranni sorcerer lady:

Spoilers but like, nothing past or even inside Stormveil:

First off, through the power of valiantly running past everything I got to Margit. Got him down to 25% on the first try. Which bodes well considering I forgot to use a Golden Seed and so shall have ANOTHER FP bar of nonsense to throw at him.

Other notables: Discovered the forest of bears by the minor Erdtree, decided to leave well enough alone.

Discovered the secret underground hell city with crabs and insta gib lightning orbs. Can't really interact with it but it was pretty to run through on torrentback and loot like four levels of golden runes for free.

Fought the invader who drops a bleed knife and requires you to be rescued by a counter invader NPC. Fun little fight where, once you hear the voice line, you know it's not about winning but about running the clock out.

And yeah, found Patches, spared him. Mostly because that fight becomes comical as a caster due to how long his 'drop shield to blow stuff atcha' animation is.

• Options
    edited March 2022

About this:

They are in separate places at the same time, they cannot be the same person. I think platy is correct that some kind of separation happened, or it’s the reverse and when radagon goes to the capital they are joined.

“Radagon is marika” has so many interpretations that are not just literally the same person
    I really don't think there was ever any bodily separation. Turtle Pope talks about how the conceit of the Radagon Statue that turns into Marika is that a sculptor was called in to carve a Radagon statue, and in the process learned Radagon's secret, which is why the statue also has the secret built in.

In addition, according to the Mask of Confidence, the reason why preceptors like Seluvis and Miriam wear those masks that have sewn mouths is because when Radagon married Rennala, Radagon told them "hey, you might see some things, but you better Shut The Fuck Up".

Moth 13 on
  • Options
    Moth 13 wrote: »

About this:

I really don't think there was ever any bodily separation. Turtle Pope talks about how the conceit of the Radagon Statue that turns into Marika is that a sculptor was called in to carve a Radagon statue, and in the process learned Radagon's secret, which is why the statue also has the secret built in.

In addition, according to the Mask of Confidence, the reason why preceptors like Seluvis and Miriam wear those masks that have sewn mouths is because when Radagon married Rennala, Radagon told them "hey, you might see some things, but you better Shut The Fuck Up".
    But then who is with Godfrey in the capital? Marika is stated to be there with him and then requests radagon when Godfrey is banished.

• Options
    Like I’m fine with the thing conceptually but the story seems to blatantly contradict it several times.

• Options
    Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    edited March 2022
    Re: Radagon/Marika
    1) Radagon was called to the capital, it never says Marika was in the capital

2) i think one of the reasons Marika grew so opposed to the Golden Order and the Greater Will is that it forced her into the feminine role. The Will, The Order, the Tree - it's all about constant, harmonic growth (unlike the Formless Mother which is entropic, the Frenzied Flame which is chaotic, and the Moon which emphasises a progress that allows for both waxing and waning, decay and renewal)[. As a tree must bear fruit so does Marika keep having children, with or without a partner; with or without her consent. Radagon, the masculine emenation/psychic embodiment of them, has no reason to be disloyal to the order, but to Marika this put upon gendered role is a prison she wishes to break

Indie Winter on
    wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    Moth 13 wrote: »

About this:

But then who is with Godfrey in the capital? Marika is stated to be there with him and then requests radagon when Godfrey is banished.
    I can only presume a variety of sitcom-esque hijinks were involved.

• Options
    also consider
    The Golden Order was meant to include Death! It was Marika's decision to remove that rune, she has had no issue meddling with the Will's designs before

why the ruse regarding the second Consort? That's what isn't clear to me. If they truly are the same person, it seems like they found true love with Rennala; why abandon it? And if they are separate, is this a case of Marika being spiteful of Radagon's happiness? She clearly does not need a lord in order to rule, does she?

wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    edited March 2022
    oh

oh

I think I got it
    Only Empyreans can potentially inherit Marika's role, right? It's like asexual reproduction, in fruit as in here: less an offspring and more a copy of the parent, at least in a spiritual sense; one whose soul is similarly capable to house and embody the ring. That's why they had to remove themselves, because despite the earnest love they had for Rennala, ridding themselves of this burdensome, imprisoning duty was more important, and they could not do it if their children were not Empyreans!

and the ruse? To force them to go. If Radagon is officially and publicly called upon by Marika to be her consort, a refusal would be tantamount to treason, a restart of the war. They couldn't refuse without endangering Caria

But the Empyreans are faulty, a result of the curse of the fire giants - not merely abnormal expressions of natural growth (omens/misbegotten) but downright mutations: Malenia and her rot, Miquella and his youth, etc. Marika/Radagon's sense of duty prevented them from passing the Ring to them, and so they remained trapped

Indie Winter on
    wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    also consider
    The Golden Order was meant to include Death! It was Marika's decision to remove that rune, she has had no issue meddling with the Will's designs before

why the ruse regarding the second Consort? That's what isn't clear to me. If they truly are the same person, it seems like they found true love with Rennala; why abandon it? And if they are separate, is this a case of Marika being spiteful of Radagon's happiness? She clearly does not need a lord in order to rule, does she?

Radagon
    They left Rennala to become Elden Lord

Which didn't work out

One is the ring-shatterer and the other one the (attempted) mender

• Options
    MalReynoldsMalReynolds The Hunter S Thompson of incredibly mild medicines Registered User regular
    Could also just be
    a Mimic that you fight at the Caelid festival

"A new take on the epic fantasy genre... Darkly comic, relatable characters... twisted storyline."
    "Readers who prefer tension and romance, Maledictions: The Offering, delivers... As serious YA fiction, I’ll give it five stars out of five. As a novel? Four and a half." - Liz Ellor
    My new novel: Maledictions: The Offering. Now in Paperback!
  • Options
    mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    edited March 2022
    Marika/Radagon
    My guess is the Greater Will was about to chuck humanity into the trash for another option, the same way they'd gotten fickle with the Dragons and the Giants

I believe Marika sensed this and was trying to stop it from happening, and that's why she made off with the Death Rune (to buy the usually short-lived humans more time to figure an out)

Godwyn the Golden was her clear (only viable) successor from her first brood, but he was likely only going to be another blind tool of the Greater Will, so she needed a different option to change things. I believe she had pre-picked Rennala as a consort long before Radagon ever went to war to get her attention, hoping star-touched kids might help find a way to subvert the Greater Will's hold on the planet (and she would've been right: all three find unique ways to operate outside the Greater Will)

I think Radagon is a tulpa of Marika. If you consider Marika like a tree, think of Radagon like a cutting from one of her branches, replanted elsewhere. Yeah, it's of Marika, but a certain part of Marika, an earlier part of her: masculine, a fierce warrior just like her Black Knife brother, and still convinced of the "holy purpose" of Marika's existence and the Elden Ring. It's possible Radagon didn't even really start out knowing what he was, he was simply created and pointed in a direction with a mission for the Golden Order

I believe the Greater Will tarnished Godfrey in part to "get back" at Marika, for trying to break out of the Golden Order. Plus, almost the moment the reign of Giants is ending (by Godfrey's hand), the Greater Will starts "tarnishing" humanity, suggesting they're next on the chopping block, because the Greater Will bores easily

I think at the end of the day, Radagon really loved Rennala, and Marika really loved Godrick, and they resented the circumstances (ie. The Greater Will's meddling) that drove them apart. The only way to end their cycle of servitude was to produce a proper successor, so they kept trying (because what else), but it became apparent that the incestuous union mainly produced spoiled fruit. Miquella and Godwyn were two options that would've at least released Marika from being an avatar for the Greater Will (if not actually releasing humanity or fixing anything long term), but when both of them were removed from the picture, she finally broke down: said fuck it, everything I try makes things worse, someone else can sort this all out, and shattered the ring. Radagon stayed and tried to repair it, because to him the Golden Order can't fail, only be failed

mrpaku on
  • Options
    Deities and related entities having both male and female aspects is something which occurs frequently in polytheistic religions, especially in Asia

• Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    Good fucking lord, I went to a dungeon with a bunch of "dung ahead" and "suffering..." messages and let me tell you folks: yup.
    Gelmir Hero's Grave. It's not that it's that hard, it's just that every single step forward involved "whoop, died again". I eventually just gave up on trying to grab my runes.

Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    Chariot things
    If you have high enough HP (for example through a Great Rune or equipping a medallion), you can get hit and not die

Also Raptor of the Mists lets you phase through chariots

• Options
    Good fucking lord, I went to a dungeon with a bunch of "dung ahead" and "suffering..." messages and let me tell you folks: yup.
    Gelmir Hero's Grave. It's not that it's that hard, it's just that every single step forward involved "whoop, died again". I eventually just gave up on trying to grab my runes.
    Some notes, lava is surprisingly not particularly lethal in Elden Ring, counts as "swamp" terrain for movement, and Quickstep weapon art is your friend.

Also you cannot kill the chariots in this one. But one of them is missing a rider.

• Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    Madican wrote: »
    Some notes, lava is surprisingly not particularly lethal in Elden Ring, counts as "swamp" terrain for movement, and Quickstep weapon art is your friend.

Also you cannot kill the chariots in this one. But one of them is missing a rider.

Oh no, I finished it. But...
    I've got 15 vigor, so lava was unfortunately still extremely lethal to me. I also never got Quickstep. I just did the hop onto the second chariot despite multiple sources saying "Just roll down the lava! There's no way you have 450 health at level 80!" I've also never been to another chariot dungeon so that's interesting...

Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    Madican wrote: »

Oh no, I finished it. But...
    I've got 15 vigor, so lava was unfortunately still extremely lethal to me. I also never got Quickstep. I just did the hop onto the second chariot despite multiple sources saying "Just roll down the lava! There's no way you have 450 health at level 80!" I've also never been to another chariot dungeon so that's interesting...
    Come back when you have more Vigor then. There's more stuff waiting at the bottom of the first lava ramp and the chariot won't follow you into it.

• Options
    They should really have added a physick flask that's just "you are immune to terrain effects"

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Did anyone else do the Sorceress Sellen quest?
    I've been progressing it kind of incidentally and probably out of order, because I'm not a spellcaster so she's not very useful to me.

But I've got it to the final choice seemingly, between her and the Witch Hunter, and well, they both seem pretty bad?