As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

iOS Games: In-App Purchases

1394041424345»

• Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    What good games exist these days in the vein of Hero Academy? i.e. snappy turn based asynchronous.

I'm looking for stuff to stay connected with my gaming group during the current events and was sad to see HA no longer exists as it would have been perfect.

Hero Academy was the perfect game. I think I put in a few thousand hours into it. To the point that I was a top-100 player for each race. Was so excited for Hero Academy 2 and was letdown to a degree I can't even begin to explain.

But for async games, you could go with Star Realms, Ascension, Uniwar, and Ticket to Ride all come to mind.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    I was sent a code for a free copy of Star Realms. First person to send me a PM gets it! I’m guessing it’s just the base game and not any of the expansions. But hey, free is free and it’s a lot of fun, and especially good for quarantines.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    redfield85redfield85 Registered User regular
    Oh God how I miss Hero Academy. I loved that game.

Anyone play Knighthood? I stumbled upon it a week ago or so and have really been enjoying it. Wish you could sort guilds by ones that are actually active.

bYf6vNQ.png
    Tumblr | Twitter | Twitch | Pinny Arcade Lanyard
    [3DS] 3394-3901-4002 | [Xbox/Steam] Redfield85
  • Options
    FremFrem Registered User regular
    Are people still playing Outwitters? It might scratch that Hero Academy itch.

The Outwitters devs tried to make a spiritual sequel called Hex Gambit a few years ago, but the developer left halfway through. The artist taught themselves how to program and is now trying to make the game happen single handedly, networked multiplayer or not.

• Options
    redfield85 wrote: »

Anyone play Knighthood? I stumbled upon it a week ago or so and have really been enjoying it. Wish you could sort guilds by ones that are actually active.

I think you can still play it on Steam. Haven’t played in a while, so I’m not sure how long it would take games to get going.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    MNC Dover wrote: »

I think you can still play it on Steam. Haven’t played in a while, so I’m not sure how long it would take games to get going.

It's been delisted and the servers are down. I really wish companies would just open source their servers when multiplayer games die like this.

• Options
    Frem wrote: »

It's been delisted and the servers are down. I really wish companies would just open source their servers when multiplayer games die like this.

Really? That sucks. Hero Academy is one of the best asynchronous tactics games I ever played. The sequel is hot garbage, so it’s sad the original isn’t around in some form. If they want money from me, they could create an “old-school” mode in HA2 that is literally the original game Using the current assets and I’d buy it for $10-$15.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    That seems unlikely; HA2 is also dead. It looks like Robot Entertainment laid off a bunch of people and shut down all their live service games a couple years ago.

• Options
    edited May 2020
    Alright, looks like it’s time to start a go fund me to buy RE’s IPs and relaunch HA.

MNC Dover on
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    Knighthood was on PC?! I'd love to have that and Hero Academy on PC.

This is the kind of stuff that gives me those urges to learn to program and just mess around with ideas of games I like that have died and just make one for myself. Haha.

bYf6vNQ.png
  • Options
    KafkaAUKafkaAU Western AustraliaRegistered User regular
    RE are currently making orcs must die 3 so it’s not like they’re gone.

steam_sig.png
    Origin: KafkaAU B-Net: Kafka#1778
  • Options
    Copy/pasting this from the Indie thread. I still play Dream Quest once in a while. Since I’ve been playing it for a long time and have unlocked everything but the final achievement, which is to reduce the final boss to 0hp.

I’ve only defeated the final boss once and that was by cheesing him out with the professor after using the zombie bite to kill him. So while I grind through the game, I wonder if it’s even possible on any given run to beat him or if it’s RNG based?

I just finished a run with the Thief where I had a set-up that would draw my entire deck via action cards, dealing damage via x2 Great Bow and x4 weakness, and generating 82% dodge and a shield for damage done. After turn 1, I had dealt 120 damage and had an 80 health shield. His biggest ability was the “you must or mustn’t play a card with this letter or lose 5 max hp”.

After 5 turns, I got him down to 400ish health with a 400 shield. It was happening! Then he declared, no cards that start with S. Fuck!

Slice, Slice, Skewer, Skewer, Swiftness, Swiftness

The run ended a few turns later as I tried desperately to squeak out the last damage while playing as few S cards as possible. But alas, I died with him down at 200ish health.

In my frustration, I took to the internet to find answers, but only found a few Reddit threads with vague strategies for beating the final boss. Mostly just card lists and hope you get lucky.

Have any of you beaten the final boss? Was it all just luck or is their always a chance?

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    The Romancing Saga Re;Universe gacha just went live. It seems pretty decent so far.

Saga games have a reputation for deep (if obtuse) combat mechanics (something that can be a bit hard to find in f2p mobile games), and the JP release of this game was extremely generous for free players. Folks on reddit are mildly discouraging re-rolls; apparently the game is beatable using the starting party with no pulls.

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    I know they say not to reroll because you don't need to but I did it anyway. Ended up with Monika, Barbara, Ellen, and Urpina which... I can make that work.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    Has anyone here tried Pirate Outlaws yet? I picked it up for $0.99 and gave it a try. It’s very much a Slay the Spire clone with a pirate theme. Looks to be a lot of grinding for gold and fame, which are used to unlock new characters, levels, and items.

I’ll check back in with a more detailed review later as I get more games under my belt.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    The port of SNES cult classic Romancing Saga 2 dropped from like $17 to $3 for the series 30th anniversary. I hear it’s weird and hard, but that’s a lot more palatable at this price than the original one.

• Options
    lwt1973lwt1973 King of Thieves SyndicationRegistered User regular
    Anyone play Crying Suns and is it worth the price?

"He's sulking in his tent like Achilles! It's the Iliad?...from Homer?! READ A BOOK!!" -Handy
  • Options
    djmitchelladjmitchella Registered User regular
    Some interesting stuff coming up in the next round of apple arcade releases:

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/worlds-end-club/id1486537612
    A new type of action-adventure game that fuses a thrilling story with 2D side-scrolling action.
    A "dream team" adventure game with scenario written by Zero Escape series creator, Kotaro Uchikoshi, and Danganronpa's Kazutaka Kodaka as creative director.

I am very curious about this one. Also a new game from the Oxenfree people, the upcoming Samurai Jack game, and a new game from the No Man's Sky folks:

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/samurai-jack-battle-through-time-and-more-big-game/1100-6480632/

• Options
    I am down for all of that.

bYf6vNQ.png
  • Options
    edited March 2022
    So the iOS game the wife and I made isn't seeing a lot of downloads, so we're not gonna keep paying yearly to have it on the app store. So if you want to get it, I'd pick it up soon. Free to play (with ads) or $.99 to remove all the ads.

https://youtu.be/YQ8DnMRTxRM

MNC Dover on
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    hlprmnkyhlprmnky Registered User regular
    So the iOS game the wife and I made isn't seeing a lot of downloads, so we're not gonna keep paying yearly to have it on the app store. So if you want to get it, I'd pick it up soon. Free to play (with ads) or $.99 to remove all the ads.

Not sure how I missed this before, but speaking as a React Native and iOS developer, that’s a really well-made game. Thanks for reminding us about it!

_
    Your Ad Here! Reasonable Rates!
  • Options
    hlprmnky wrote: »

Not sure how I missed this before, but speaking as a React Native and iOS developer, that’s a really well-made game. Thanks for reminding us about it!

Sure, glad you like it. The wife will be extra happy to hear the praise. She had to learn to code in the Apple software using a virtual machine that emulated a Mac. It was quite the doozy.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    Big DookieBig Dookie Smells great! Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    I just downloaded and removed ads, and will give it a shot later. Appreciate you calling this out for us. Sorry it hasn’t gotten more attention!

Steam | Twitch
    Oculus: TheBigDookie | XBL: Dook | NNID: BigDookie
  • Options
    Big Dookie wrote: »
    I just downloaded and removed ads, and will give it a shot later. Appreciate you calling this out for us. Sorry it hasn’t gotten more attention!

It’s all good. It was less about making money and more about just publishing our own game. Had a lot of fun (and stress) making it and proud of what it ended up being. My kids enjoy playing it and get to see their names in the credits, so that’s a win-win.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    Big DookieBig Dookie Smells great! Houston, TXRegistered User regular

It’s all good. It was less about making money and more about just publishing our own game. Had a lot of fun (and stress) making it and proud of what it ended up being. My kids enjoy playing it and get to see their names in the credits, so that’s a win-win.

Yeah, I just tried the first handful of levels and this seems like the kind of game our girls would love. I’ll definitely download it to their iPads later. Seems really well made, you guys should definitely be proud!

Steam | Twitch
    Oculus: TheBigDookie | XBL: Dook | NNID: BigDookie
  • Options

Yeah, I just tried the first handful of levels and this seems like the kind of game our girls would love. I’ll definitely download it to their iPads later. Seems really well made, you guys should definitely be proud!

We are proud of it! I never thought the game I designed in 2012 would become a reality, but there it is. Funnily enough, it was actually going to be a lot bigger. Here's some of the things that got cut:

-The wife wanted a story mode included, so I came up with a story that there were a group of scientists were meddling with an alien energy source and got trapped. You had to jump into these magic realms and complete the puzzles to "right" the energy signature. Note that all the characters were red, blue, or yellow circles. :)

-I wanted to include a "puzzle of the day" option and a randomizer mode in order to give the players extra things to do after beating the main levels.

-There was a vast rewards system in place to customize your experience. You'd use in-game currency (stars, hearts, etc) to unlock a variety of icons, symbols, shapes, and so forth to customize your playfield. Instead of just boring blue circles, you could make them all smiling emoji. Maybe make your red circles into a thumbs-up emoji. There was also gonna be customized frames, backgrounds, sound effects, and music.

The game was incredibly ambitious and features had to get cut for the sake of our sanity. Only two of us with limited time (our daughter was born in late 2015) meant we should just focus on the core gameplay and ship it. If I ever had a bigger budget, those cut items would definitely get added to a sequel. :D

Steam ID
    Twitch Page