As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

One [Elden] Ring to Rule Them All

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    I've done Sellen's quest to completion if you have questions

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Madican wrote: »

I guess not really concrete ones, to be fair. Less questions and more indecision on who to side with.

• Options
    Moth 13Moth 13 Registered User regular
    I'd say the payoff to Sellen's is more interesting.

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    small bugfix patch
    Fixed a bug that sometime prevented players from advancing NPC Nepheli Loux’s questline
    Fixed a bug that causes the playable character to die when trying to descend from a spot near Bestial Sanctum
    Fixed a bug that prevented Ash of War, Endure from taking effect
    Fixed a bug in multiplayer that allowed players to teleport others to incorrect map coordinates

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    If you want ethics
    Sellen's field of research has involved sacrificing hundreds of other mages in the pursuit of primeval glintstone sorcery. Jerren was a wandering sellsword until Radahn convinced him to serve as his right hand.

If you want rewards
    Siding with Sellen grants you Jerren's armor set and Sellen's head piece. Sellen also remains a vendor, technically. Siding with Jerren grants you Sellen's head piece and Sellen dies.

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Ended up going with ethics
    For such a powerful sorcerer, she was incredibly easy to kill

• Options
    Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular
    Margit down in four attempts.

Also they really just listened to the Rocky Horror bit of "Anticip..............ation" on repeat while designing boss moves this time around huh?

• Options
    "I'm gonna hit ya! Get ready! Any second now! Are you rolling yet? Did you roll too soo-bonk you're dead"

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    When I met her she was chained to a wall speaking nonsense

Is the quest already over?

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    edited March 2022
    I know I am alone on liking the delayed hits more than the non-stop spammy ones, at least in this game (the non-stop spammies were awesome in Sekiro).

Just looking for minor cues in their movement that are tells for when you should roll, jump, or parry.

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    Honestly I don't mind the delays so much.

It's just kinda hilarious as the solution to "aha, this is how we'll beat multiple games of our animation's muscle memory!"

• Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    MegaMan001 wrote: »

Short answer, no
    Vague spoilers:
    You have come across one of the later steps in the questline, sounds like. I don't believe you've found the starting point. Remember that place, though.

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular

Short answer, no
    Vague spoilers:
    You have come across one of the later steps in the questline, sounds like. I don't believe you've found the starting point. Remember that place, though.

megaman, to start the questline you have to find sellen
    at waypoint ruins in limgrave

that is her in weeping peninsula, but, well, you'll get back to that eventually

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    DeansDeans Registered User regular
    Pretty annoying how you can easily find her there near the beginning of your playthrough, and can't do anything about that situation until probably dozens of hours later.

• Options
    Margit down in four attempts.

Also they really just listened to the Rocky Horror bit of "Anticip..............ation" on repeat while designing boss moves this time around huh?

Yes and no. He's literally waiting to see what your input is going to be and reacts to it. If you try attacking him he'll immediately counterattack as soon as you press the button, but if you back off without rolling he'll sometimes lower the weapon and move into a new pattern.

Crucible Knights will do the same thing and end combos early if you're not in sufficient range while using some moves in direct response to you, like healing provoking the charging thrust.

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    edited March 2022
    Honestly I don't mind the delays so much.

It's just kinda hilarious as the solution to "aha, this is how we'll beat multiple games of our animation's muscle memory!"

Pretty damn effective tho lol

Who among us hasn't rolled 3 times waiting for those big AsmongoldsMisbegotten dudes in Mourne to just fucking swipe your fucking axe already jesus

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    Deans wrote: »
    Pretty annoying how you can easily find her there near the beginning of your playthrough, and can't do anything about that situation until probably dozens of hours later.

it kind of tricks you into trying attacking her since nothing else seems to work too

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular

it kind of tricks you into trying attacking her since nothing else seems to work too

Are there other NPCs that are easy to accidentally piss off or can I use this as a reminder to hit up Turtle Pope? I think that's the only NPC I've accidentally attacked.

Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options

If you attack an NPC for any reason you kinda had it coming unless they specifically tell you to spank them on the bottom with your heaviest weapon or something.

• Options

She seemed pitiful enough so I didn't attack her. Ever since I found my first turtle I've actually waited for something to attack me first.

Fuck those undead bones that cower at first then stab you with a torch.

• Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited March 2022
    I know I am alone on liking the delayed hits more than the non-stop spammy ones, at least in this game (the non-stop spammies were awesome in Sekiro).

Just looking for minor cues in their movement that are tells for when you should roll, jump, or parry.

I get mad at the animations sometimes because I did a lot of sword fighting so I’ll fight some boss with a rapier and they will chamber their arm all the way back before thrusting and I will be like “you fool! You absolute donkey! You are telegraphing and slowing your attack and getting nothing for it! Extend only!”

And then I realize I am thinking this about an enemy that also inflates and rolls at you for an attack and laugh and go back to playing.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    BaidolBaidol I will hold him off Escape while you canRegistered User regular
    edited March 2022

Are there other NPCs that are easy to accidentally piss off or can I use this as a reminder to hit up Turtle Pope? I think that's the only NPC I've accidentally attacked.

This isn't a case of me attacking the NPC, but I had a fight with a big bear that damaged an NPC incidentally and so I had to go ask for absolution before continuing that quest line.

Baidol on
    Steam Overwatch: Baidol#1957
  • Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Inquisitor wrote: »

I get mad at the animations sometimes because I did a lot of sword fighting so I’ll fight some boss with a rapier and they will chamber their arm all the way back before thrusting and I will be like “you fool! You absolute donkey! You are telegraphing and slowing your attack and getting nothing for it! Extend only!”

And then I realize I am thinking this about an enemy that also inflates and rolls at you for an attack and laugh and go back to playing.

Technically(ignoring the whole downside of telegraphing) it would still be stronger yea?

Which from a fencing viewpoint i imagine would be useless. But thats point fighting. Damage caused isn't the goal being fast is.

Coming from a fighting background where actual damage caused is part of the consideration there is certaintly a difference between the strength of a big windup overhand and a quick jab. I imagine that strength would carry over to a weapon!

• Options

Technically(ignoring the whole downside of telegraphing) it would still be stronger yea?

Which from a fencing viewpoint i imagine would be useless. But thats point fighting. Damage caused isn't the goal being fast is.

Coming from a fighting background where actual damage caused is part of the consideration there is certaintly a difference between the strength of a big windup overhand and a quick jab. I imagine that strength would carry over to a weapon!

So a rapier is sharp enough that if you extend and lock your arm and just let gravity lean you into your opponent you will impale them. So, you should basically never draw your weapon back to then strike forward (there are exceptions with some disengages, etc) for reasons of power, as you already have plenty. Pulling your weapon back also reduces its ability to protect you. So, for a rapier you are much more “only extend forward to attack, then recover.”

Now, with a weapon where you are actually delivering cuts. You are right, there is a difference between a big overhead chop and a quick flick from the wrists. With such a weapon though, like a longsword, you typically have your weapon held up and back to start with. That way you only need to go forward and can move directly into said overhead chop. You basically want to avoid accelerating a weapon in one direction (backwards) only to have to accelerate it again in the opposite direction (forwards) when you can as it is slower, telegraphs your intentions, etc.

• Options

So a rapier is sharp enough that if you extend and lock your arm and just let gravity lean you into your opponent you will impale them. So, you should basically never draw your weapon back to then strike forward (there are exceptions with some disengages, etc) for reasons of power, as you already have plenty. Pulling your weapon back also reduces its ability to protect you. So, for a rapier you are much more “only extend forward to attack, then recover.”

Now, with a weapon where you are actually delivering cuts. You are right, there is a difference between a big overhead chop and a quick flick from the wrists. With such a weapon though, like a longsword, you typically have your weapon held up and back to start with. That way you only need to go forward and can move directly into said overhead chop. You basically want to avoid accelerating a weapon in one direction (backwards) only to have to accelerate it again in the opposite direction (forwards) when you can as it is slower, telegraphs your intentions, etc.

Yeah the issue is that Magrit is so stat boosted he can do that.

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    edited March 2022

Yea that makes sense. When you account for the super-powered beings and stuff power can start making sense again.

We aren't dealing with normal human bodies here!

As long as it could generate more power than there is still a line of in world logic that you can follow that just doesn't apply to real life.

DemonStacey on
  • Options
    Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    What triggers the Sellen quest advancement? I completed all the steps with her, but the Witch Hunter doesn't appear snd there isn't anything new in the academy

wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    BaidolBaidol I will hold him off Escape while you canRegistered User regular
    What triggers the Sellen quest advancement? I completed all the steps with her, but the Witch Hunter doesn't appear snd there isn't anything new in the academy

The hunter holds to an oath that must be fulfilled before he becomes available. The oath involves one of the demigods.
    Kill Radahn. The hunter is Radahn's buddy.

Steam Overwatch: Baidol#1957
  • Options
    MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    In a sort of "only Nixon could go to China" kind of moment, a relatively popular youtuber makes a controversial claim:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D1H4o4FW-wA

game too hard

• Options
    Just saw a build that can best be summed up as Holy Bomberman. It involves chugging a flask with two cracked tears, some equipment, buffs, and then exploding for massive damage.

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Me: Enters Caelid for the first time on this character then looks at the push-up challenge log.

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuccccckkkkk.

Quits the game for the day 20 minutes later.

Holy shit I just did so many push-ups. Ow my arms.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    MrMonroe wrote: »
    In a sort of "only Nixon could go to China" kind of moment, a relatively popular youtuber makes a controversial claim:

game too hard

I think he is right that the game has terrible balance. I would not say it’s just too hard though. I would say sometimes it is too easy. It rarely hits a good difficulty sweet spot.

• Options

game too hard

I think he is right that the game has terrible balance. I would not say it’s just too hard though. I would say sometimes it is too easy. It rarely hits a good difficulty sweet spot.

Are there any games with this massive size and scope? So many weapons, abilities, builds and then you can tackle most of the game in any order. Balancing must have been a nightmare and some places are flat out easier or harder depending on your play.

• Options

game too hard

Are there any games with this massive size and scope? So many weapons, abilities, builds and then you can tackle most of the game in any order. Balancing must have been a nightmare and some places are flat out easier or harder depending on your play.

Only ones that use level scaling, but that negates all progress you do and makes leveling feel like you're pressing a lot of buttons just to push up a difficulty slider.

• Options

game too hard

For sure! Not saying it’s surprising the game has terrible balance, just that it does. Personally I’d prefer a smaller game with better balance but that’s also why I don’t like open world games so, a bit of stating the obvious from me.

• Options

game too hard

For sure! Not saying it’s surprising the game has terrible balance, just that it does. Personally I’d prefer a smaller game with better balance but that’s also why I don’t like open world games so, a bit of stating the obvious from me.

The only game I could see being great for open world is Monster Hunter.

I kind of really want an open world one of those, the mechanics would be perfect for an open world game. Tracking, marking, resource gathering, no real leveling.

• Options
    DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    man this fight in Redmane is mean.

• Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    Elden Ring being called too hard is...interesting to me.

In fact I would say it's maybe the easiest game From Soft has put out yet

• Options
    Oghulk wrote: »
    Elden Ring being called too hard is...interesting to me.

In fact I would say it's maybe the easiest game From Soft has put out yet

Your build determines difficulty, in ER more than any other Souls before it. It's not really a controversial thing to say that if you use mainly magic yeah the game will definitely be easier than if you're trying to melee only.

• Options
    Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
    Honestly the difficulty is just due to the amount of damage shit does

Like the fights would be reasonable if 2 hits want death. There is barely a point to bringing health potions

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg