As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Borderlands] Wonderlands! I Pull Out My Robe and Wizard Gat.

• SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
    Given how shit like Chocobo GP is being rolled out, being upset about Day 1 announced DLC feels positively nostalgic.

sig.gif
  • DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    The Borderlands 3 season pass 1 still sells for $50, so $20 for four sets of less stuff doesn't sound particularly gouge-y.

(Disclaimer: Season passes are always a crapshoot, you might not feel like you're getting your money's worth, etc.)

Which is why I think it's better to just come out and talk about it before the game's even out. Let people know what to expect before they choose to buy it with the base game.

• LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    Yeah, giving a roadmap of DLC isn't that bad. I still don't like it for the reason stated above. Don't ask me for more money before I've had a chance to evaluate the base product.

But it least it's not like back in the 2008's through 2012's (ish) and has on-disc DLC. Content that is actually there that you have to pay extra money to unlock.

• MasterOfPupetsMasterOfPupets Registered User regular
    So I'm replaying the Escape from Dragons Keep one shot to get in the mood for the game. I forgot how bad early gameplay feels in BL2. I don't remember it being this bad in BL2, but until you get some decent guns BL2 is a SLOG...

XBL = MoP54
    PSN = PessimistMaximus
    camo_sig2.png
  • Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    Just beat the Seer on mayhem 10.

Phew. Was spamming grenades with Moze while unloading with everything I had.

Finally found a boss that wouldn't just melt from my Kaoson, Harold or Flipper.

Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Dr. Chaos wrote: »
    Just beat the Seer on mayhem 10.

Phew. Was spamming grenades with Moze while unloading with everything I had.

Finally found a boss that wouldn't just melt from my Kaoson, Harold or Flipper.

Oh yeah that one is a pain on M10. Takes forever

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    Dirty wrote: »
    Dirty wrote: »
    Except the idea that the title is incomplete without the DLC is just a concept that exists in your head because you feel entitled to it.

It is MEGA weird to me to see this "entitled customers" crap from the early 2000s emerge unquestioned after 20 years of publisher exploitation. What are you DOING, here?

Look, I feel entitled to a game working at launch. I feel entitled to games that don't crash. That's the kind of shit that pisses me off. I think it's very telling that every time this argument comes up, it's always Assassins Creed 2 and Mass Effect 3. If this were really a problem outside of feeling entitled, we'd have more recent examples.

A lot of this feeling comes from Project $10, which was an idea of major publishers like EA/2k Games and a few others to basically include "free" DLC with new copies of a game but charge $10 for it otherwise as a means of interfering with 2nd hand purchases. This has stopped in recent times, but I think the legacy of it hasn't quite left. I've always found the Borderlands DLC to be worthwhile, because BL3 DLC was the only thing with an entertaining story - especially Guns, Love and Tentacles.

But I stick to my previous statement that it's nice to buy a game, play it and not think about needing to spend more money on extra DLC etc. Like I haven't even played the base game to know if I want to have more story DLC or not yet! Or whatever they are doing.

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
    Well, I finished Arms Race once and feeling pretty confident that I have no interest in doing it again.

Kind of boring.

• XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    edited March 2022
    I walked into arms race and then quit and never went back. Losing all your everything is clearly not a game mode I like.

Xeddicus on
  • RonaldoTheGypsyRonaldoTheGypsy Yes, yes Registered User regular
    To this date if I play BL2 I only do Torgue and Tiny Tina. I never did the Lilith one. Or the TK one. Scarlet is meh ... and Hammerlocks is AWFUL.

• The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    Xeddicus wrote: »
    I walked into arms race and then quit and never went back. Losing all your everything is clearly not a game made I like.

I actually really liked the gameplay of it, shockingly enough. I thought I'd hate it too, but there's a weird rush in finding a legendary drop and then being able to bulldoze the rest of the match.

What's truly annoying is trying to farm anything specific in it. Specific chests have a better chance for certain loot, but you're at the complete mercy of the murdercane. If the chest you want to farm is in the southeast and the murdercane is going northwest, you're just SOL. Throw in the RNG of items dropping to begin with, and it's just RNG on top of RNG. Actually 3 levels of RNG: RNG that the murdercane is in the right area. RNG that you get a good enough weapon to handle the fighting. RNG that the chest actually drops the item. It's real fucking annoying.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    edited March 2022
    Even as a means of padding out the piddly amount of gameplay that's in arms race, the randomization just kinda runs out of steam pretty quickly. If you're farming for a specific drop you just quit out immediately if the chest you want isn't in the initial safe zone.

you can get all of the items from it in like an afternoon, and after that there's not much point in running it anymore

Feels like an idea that wasnt fully fleshed out to begin with, so I understand why they cut it, but even in the Director's Cut it seems pretty half baked

Brolo on
    Feels like they were working on some sort of new experimental battle royale PVP mode, couldn't get it to work and just salvaged it as this.

• DacDac Registered User regular
    I like the idea of Arms Race because I felt like the game really shined at the lower levels and during regular progression. I liked the rounds I did, anyway.

Steam: catseye543
    PSN: ShogunGunshow
    Origin: ShogunGunshow
  • King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Xeddicus wrote: »
    I walked into arms race and then quit and never went back. Losing all your everything is clearly not a game made I like.

Its absurdly easy to game the system with the Vault cards and its not fun at all even then. Removing the action skills the entire point of the different characters is the dumbest thing theyve ever thought of so of course Randy Pitchford loved it

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • ZetxZetx 🐧 Registered User regular
    edited March 2022

Wonderlands to have full crossplay on launch, including PS consoles.

[e] Curious that this was announced on a Sunday on Randy's twitter vs the game's official one. Also he has a follow up tweet:

"Please take it easy on us if there are hiccups. This is hard stuff and none of the platforms were designed for this. We’ve done impossible work to make it happen and to try to make it as easy to use as possible, but this is new territory and the wild is not a test environment."

Zetx on
    76561197966849367.png
  • RonaldoTheGypsyRonaldoTheGypsy Yes, yes Registered User regular
    Maybe this time Randy will not take the giant bonus and stiff the developers.

edited March 2022
    To this date if I play BL2 I only do Torgue and Tiny Tina. I never did the Lilith one. Or the TK one. Scarlet is meh ... and Hammerlocks is AWFUL.
    I adore all the big BL2 DLC.

BL2 would go a really long way for a dumb joke and I loved it for it. Scarlett constantly inadvertently implying she's going to betray you and then does, Nakayama being the most pathetic villian in BL history at every turn, etc.

BL3 was just nowhere near as funny.

Dr. Chaos on
  • SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    Lilith is basically all about how incompetent the Raiders actually are against real opponents, and why the VHs are the key to their survival.

And then BL3 takes the mask off and just has the VHs drive the plot and literally nothing else.

sig.gif
  • ED!ED! Registered User regular
    Zetx wrote: »

"Please take it easy on us if there are hiccups. This is hard stuff and none of the platforms were designed for this. We’ve done impossible work to make it happen and to try to make it as easy to use as possible, but this is new territory and the wild is not a test environment."

I don't know anything about game development but. . .how can something that is in even the smallest of games be as difficult as he is making it seem? Are they saying it is new territory - for them? If so, then hire a consultant with crossplay experience. All this tweet tells me is this is perhaps a late addition and that co-op is going to be busted at launch (if it works at all).

"Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
    Even getting a consultant is probably not that simple. This is basically uncharted territory. Sony has famously been very anti-crossplatform, which is why they're making a big deal about specifically saying things like "Including Playstation." Wonderlands isn't the very-first game with PS crossplatform, but I bet you can count the titles that have it on one hand.

And there might be another example of a game with 3 way crossplatform, but I can't think of what it is off the top of my head. I cannot recall a single game that had XBox, PC, and Playstation crossplatform all at the same time. It's usually just two of the three.

Is there local coop in Tiny Tina?

• cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    Even getting a consultant is probably not that simple. This is basically uncharted territory. Sony has famously been very anti-crossplatform, which is why they're making a big deal about specifically saying things like "Including Playstation." Wonderlands isn't the very-first game with PS crossplatform, but I bet you can count the titles that have it on one hand.

And there might be another example of a game with 3 way crossplatform, but I can't think of what it is off the top of my head. I cannot recall a single game that had XBox, PC, and Playstation crossplatform all at the same time. It's usually just two of the three.

Well, Rocket League and a few others. But it's still very new territory, and doing something like Wonderlands might be many degrees more complex than Rocket League.

From what little I know the structures of Xbox and PlayStation online are very different and require a lot of heavy lifting to get them to play nice.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular

Destiny 2, Fortnite, CoD Warzone, Rocket League, Apex Legends, Battlefield 2042, Overcooked All You Can Eat, PUBG... what year is it again? The truth of Gearbox's statement is that they've had to put in extra work to do what should have been done with Borderlands 3 (this was noted at the time of release). And now they're begging forgiveness that even their catching up to the industry work will likely break at launch. Pretty, pretty embarrassing.

• FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Back 4 Blood has it as well

Folks have already tossed out some of the heavyweight titles, but the "small" titles I was thinking about (and that I've played) were DAUNTLESS, OUTRIDERS and most recently R6E.

. . .Gearbox definitely isn't slouching in the cash department (I can't think) and this is a huge game. It is wild that full crossplay wasn't immediately on the books from the start, especially with how long GB is going to support this title (i.e. you want as large as possible a playerbase for your co-op game).

• ZetxZetx 🐧 Registered User regular
    Yeah, the armchair gamedev in me says that once you complete the matchmaking between platforms it would just be some sort of wrapper that translates a network packet of "generic gameplay information" to whatever platform is being used? Something like that? Or maybe it's trickier because Wonderlands is p2p and one of the consoles/PC has to host it and... something about performance? I have no idea at that point.

Is there something about the last gen consoles (or is it current and next gen now? I don't console >_>) that would result in having fewer mobs in multiplayer because of performance? That seems like an "if/else" sort of conditional though... Although I could see it being strange if you were used to playing with more mobs and then because a lower-powered console joined you suddenly got fewer things to shoot at.

76561197966849367.png
  • StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    lol he had to directly kiss Sony’s ass because they were likely the only one that required any kind of prodding

YL9WnCY.png
    Is there a way to stop other players from activating quests in your session?

I think I remember trying to do a first run of a BL (might have even been 3) and kept running into this problem.

Reviews for Wonderlands are generally pretty positive.

I have been liking Skillup's reviews lately.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gXtCZ8raTrg

He reviewed on PC and the takeaways from his review are that the PC port needs more work, there seems to be weird issues where the mouse cursor becomes desync'd from the ingame selection cursor (that a controller would use), which leads to some PC control jank.

He didn't play the console games or make any claims that they are better. But my impression from his PC review is that this is a game that was developed for console-first and the port to PC is a bit sloppy and needs more work.

Otherwise, pretty favorable review. He likes the story, likes the new class, talent, and gameplay changes. Says the game is a much stronger entry in the franchise than BL3 (which is a low bar to clear). But still. Sounds like it will be right up my alley. More Borderlands gameplay formula with some new twists and a story that is better than BL3.

I am hyped.

Game unlocks 11pm my time (U.S. CDT). I'm old and I have to work tomorrow, but I'll at least roll my character and do the opening cinematics and stuff.

• cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Yeah, nearly everyone's saying the story's much better, as long as you don't expect it to be consequential in the least.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
    Tried Guardian Takedown. Yeah, thats bullshit and I'm not doing it.

Maliwan Takedown was pretty good on the other hand with jammin tunes.

cloudeagle wrote: »
    Yeah, nearly everyone's saying the story's much better, as long as you don't expect it to be consequential in the least.

I'll take a story that doesn't advance the universe significantly over insipid and utterly offensively written.

Dr. Chaos wrote: »
    Tried Guardian Takedown. Yeah, thats bullshit and I'm not doing it.

Maliwan Takedown was pretty good on the other hand with jammin tunes.

Guardian Takedown relies way too heavily on zone out deaths/drops as "difficulty", and Borderlands first person platforming has never been good enough to justify its inclusion.

Something that I'm looking forward to with Wonderlands is kind of evidenced by the season pass having the new 'class' - it'll be much easier for them to design and release a single tree that can be swapped in and out than a whole vault hunter. So hopefully we see more as time goes on.

This might be because I'm an ex D&D geek but the first fifteen minutes had me smirk snorting more than the first few hours of BL3.

Dac wrote: »
    This might be because I'm an ex D&D geek but the first fifteen minutes had me smirk snorting more than the first few hours of BL3.

Nothing in BL3 had me laughing. I'm at least amused with what is going on in TTW so far (I don't dislike TT and think she's probably one of the best secondary characters of any franchise).

. . .that said I am stunned that there are no optimization articles about the game or really ANYTHING regarding performance in the dozen or so reviews I've read. For such low "recommended" specs, that I am getting drops into the 40's on not Ultra settings with NOTHING going on in the tutorial zone at 1440P isn't fantastic.

BL3 also had weirdly sluggish performance for a game that... often looked of the same visual quality of Borderlands 2

qF2seLmh.jpg
    tlRrEhwh.jpg

some of the settings in the game can just tank your frame rate, for very little benefit in graphics fidelity

I am very happy to report that all the skeletons in Wonderlands do a bad skeletor impression.

• PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    edited March 2022
    Hrm. Don't know if the download via Epic just messed up or something... but I'm getting like no voices from the PC or enemies. Or audiologs.

Which made the opening scene with the "staying in character" line funny, since they were all sitting around listening to me say absolutely nothing. Trying to run a Verify on the install to see if that helps.

EDIT: Verify didn't seem to fix anything. Weird.

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch