As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Borderlands] Wonderlands! I Pull Out My Robe and Wizard Gat.

• Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited March 2022
    Dr. Chaos wrote: »
    I am very happy to report that all the skeletons in Wonderlands do a bad skeletor impression.
    Over and over and over again.

Stuff talks too much given the limited pool of responses. In one hour of play I swear I’ve heard every skeleton line 50 times already. And my character (Strange personality) has said the map joke many times already. I imagine the enemy lines won’t be so bad once variety ramps up.

Performance-wise, never saw it drop under 60 fps except the video cutscenes which were recorded at 30 fps for…some reason? Usually at 70-90 fps during combat on Ultra settings, although at 1080p.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    But most importantly, have they put any guns in their stash?
    I will never forget that you have your stash Aloy from Horizon Forbidden West

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Tried Guardian Takedown. Yeah, thats bullshit and I'm not doing it.

Maliwan Takedown was pretty good on the other hand with jammin tunes.

Nothing in guardian is worth it anyway. They really screwed it up something feirce

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    Okay, so the audio problem is a bit weirder. I thought I was going crazy and mentally filling in their lines via the subtitles... but it *was* playing the audio, the source on it is just... waaaaaaaaay off in the distance for some reason so it's barely audible. There's some definite weirdness there that's more noticeable when it's a NPC talking, since you might not be able to hear them properly if you walk away from them or aren't near them and it switches to the... talking head view in the corner?

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    The text blurbs describing the backgrounds are amazing. Even though I'm rolling a non-binary spellslinger, the lure to choose Villiage Idiot is strong, just so I can say:
    I'm made in the image of Bellothion, God of Himbos!

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    Don’t feel too bad; the other day I asked “what would call a lady himbo?” and felt real stupid.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    edited March 2022
    Dear god, this game is stupid in all the right ways.

Level 11ish quest: (getting the boat blessed)
    If you're going to make a joke about Magic Missile, you gotta go big. That was *perfect.*

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    RonaldoTheGypsyRonaldoTheGypsy Yes, yes Registered User regular
    I'm having decent fun though the connection is exploding it's always telling me I am online

offline online offline online offline online offline

but the mechanics of the game are great so far and I haven't had issues in the few hours I played

• Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    Sterica wrote: »
    Don’t feel too bad; the other day I asked “what would call a lady himbo?” and felt real stupid.

You mean it's not a herbo?

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    DacDac Registered User regular
    I am very amused about the context of some choices and the game reacting to it
    If you try to Intimidate the powerful evil wizard, and then later Seduce the goblin, Frette calls you out on it. Just amusing.

I was originally regretting Berserker, because that first action skill has an awful first impression, but now that I have a big stonking sword it's all coming together.

Those goblin tinkerer assholes that dogpile you with rocket jumps are motherfuckers, though.

Steam: catseye543
    PSN: ShogunGunshow
    Origin: ShogunGunshow
  • Options
    I am very happy to report that all the skeletons in Wonderlands do a bad skeletor impression.
    Over and over and over again.

Stuff talks too much given the limited pool of responses. In one hour of play I swear I’ve heard every skeleton line 50 times already. And my character (Strange personality) has said the map joke many times already. I imagine the enemy lines won’t be so bad once variety ramps up.

Yeah, it would be nice to have a 'Vocalization Frequency' slider.

• Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular

• Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    Brolo wrote: »
    Tried Guardian Takedown. Yeah, thats bullshit and I'm not doing it.

Maliwan Takedown was pretty good on the other hand with jammin tunes.

Guardian Takedown relies way too heavily on zone out deaths/drops as "difficulty", and Borderlands first person platforming has never been good enough to justify its inclusion.
    "I hate jumping puzzles." - Mordecai, also everyone who's ever played any Borderlands game.

Maliwan is so much better, but even that needs a third New-U outside the boss arena.

sig.gif
  • Options
    MasterOfPupetsMasterOfPupets Registered User regular
    Only played an hour or so last night. Probably won't get to really do in until Monday.

That said, what I played is great. Borderlands feel for the combat, but the new world gives it so much more freedom to do crazy things.

XBL = MoP54
    PSN = PessimistMaximus
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular

That's an interesting question, though, because himbo and bimbo have different connotations, so if you want to maintain the positive connotations of the himbo you need to continue the evolution into a shimbo

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    so what happened to the writing in borderlands? i remember 1 and 2 being pretty funny, pre-sequal being meh, 3 being not and this new one is just horribly forced. am i imagining things?

• Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    so what happened to the writing in borderlands? i remember 1 and 2 being pretty funny, pre-sequal being meh, 3 being not and this new one is just horribly forced. am i imagining things?
    Well, they had a different writer after 2, so...

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    ED!ED! Registered User regular
    Refunded and picked the game up on console. PC version just wasn't where it should be given the system requirements. None of the issues I had on PC are evident in the console version (though the HDR looks crazy off in the game; like everything is darker even with everything cranked up; non-HDR mode also has some weird contrast issues).

. . .that said, this was 100% DLC for BL3 at one point. The complete lack of effort in bringing guns into a fantasy environment really exposes this. As ACG mentioned in their review, you're just slapping a crossbow on to a pistol and calling it a day. Also, I can see the "random encounters" getting obnoxious after awhile, but they seem like a good break in the beginning for some mindless grinding.

So far, it is definitely a 7 to 8 game.

"Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
  • Options
    edited March 2022
    I'm having a lot of fun with it but yeah there's some weird tech glitches. they don't detract at all for me personally but i'm sure they'll get fixed

like why are the loading screens at 480p? why does the game consider me loading into a new area as me dying and then charging me a rez fee?

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    Also it would have been nice on picking your subclass to be able to see the tree. You get a look at the feat and class skills, but the actual talent trees are arguably more important. Especially since swapping your subclass around doesn't happen until later.

• Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    When do you unlock the class feat? It oddly doesn't tell you like it does the 2nd class skill.

• Options
    Xeddicus wrote: »
    When do you unlock the class feat? It oddly doesn't tell you like it does the 2nd class skill.

Level 5

• Options
    IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    ED! wrote: »
    Also, I can see the "random encounters" getting obnoxious after awhile, but they seem like a good break in the beginning for some mindless grinding.

You can smack random encounters w/ a melee attack to skip them.

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • Options
    That feel when you find the perfect grenade....

At level 10.

:'(

• Options
    is there no way to level items up?

• Options
    That is generally not a thing, no.

I wish more games would do it like Destiny.

• Options
    Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    is there no way to level items up?
    Borderlands doesn't do that.

The constant search for bigger and better loot is a core part of the loop.

Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    Is "Myth Rank" at level 40 this game's version of Badass Rank?

• Options
    edited March 2022
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    Is "Myth Rank" at level 40 this game's version of Badass Rank?

I don't think so; the reviews I read said that the character stats is the Baddass replacement.
    "Myth Rank is an End Game leveling progression that lets you further enhance your Fatemaker’s powers. You will unlock Myth Rank once you reached LVL 40 in Tiny Tina’s Wonderlands. This is the max level you can reach with your character at the launch of the game. However, once you reached this milestone, you can continue to gather experience points but instead of leveling up your character level, you will level up your Myth Rank. Each time you fill-up the progression bar, you will be rewarded with a point which you can spend on your Myth Rank.

Myth Rank is divided over 4 constellations and each one represents a mastery. Each time you level up your Myth Rank, you’ll move to the next constellation in a clockwise motion. This means you will be diversifying your points across all four constellations so you won’t be able to focus solely on one. For each constellation, you’ll need to decide if you want to move further along the path of connected nodes, unlocking them one by one, or invest your Myth Points into nodes you’ve already unlocked. Each constellation has 7 nodes to spend your points on."

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    I mean that sure sounds like the badass system where you couldn't just dump all your points into one stat and you had to go through a rotation of stats before re-arriving at the one you wanted

• Options
    Dac wrote: »
    I mean that sure sounds like the badass system where you couldn't just dump all your points into one stat and you had to go through a rotation of stats before re-arriving at the one you wanted

I guess it depends on what's on the various trees. Some of the Badass rank bonuses are deffo the character stats now but certainly not all.

• Options
    Hmm, the brrz has a Frost nova talent.

Now we play the game of 'has Gearbox onboarded any lessons from BL3 at all' about scaling things like novas and pets with whatever endgame difficulty settings there are.

The answer to 'did we learn anything from previous releases' has been mostly 'no' for their previous games, but here's hoping.

• Options
    a lot of the characters seem to just have a nova as their ability

• Options
    You are ten years older and realizing Borderlands 2 was never that funny. Hell, Will Arnett is basically doing the same “chatty villain with casual banter” shtick in Wonderlands, and they somehow think Butt Stallion is uproariously funny three games later.

Borderlands writing peaked with Knoxx, as he only gets more relatable as we descend further into an farcical corporate hellscape.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    You are ten years older and realizing Borderlands 2 was never that funny. Hell, Will Arnett is basically doing the same “chatty villain with casual banter” shtick in Wonderlands, and they somehow think Butt Stallion is uproariously funny three games later.

Borderlands writing peaked with Knoxx, as he only gets more relatable as we descend further into an farcical corporate hellscape.

nah i legit think some of the writing in the first 2 is still pretty funny

not like knee slappers or anything but at least i'm not painfully eye rolling at stuff like in wonderlands

• Options
    MadpoetMadpoet Registered User regular
    Welp, game hard lock my buddy's PC every 10 minutes or so. And after a few rounds of that we found that the game has the same problem that BL3 launched with where a hard lock can delete your character. Glad we found it early.

• Options
    Madpoet wrote: »
    Welp, game hard lock my buddy's PC every 10 minutes or so. And after a few rounds of that we found that the game has the same problem that BL3 launched with where a hard lock can delete your character. Glad we found it early.

yowzers that is trash on a biscuit

• Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    Due to pesky things like sleep and work getting in the way, I only have maybe 3(ish) hours logged on the game so far, but I'm loving it.

It's a bit odd, because everything feels familiar, and yet different. I think the world map (so far) adds a lot. That's the one defining feature that is decidedly not-Borderlands and wholly a Wonderlands thing. I also did not mind the 3 or 4 random encounters I got. Maybe my tune will change after sinking a bunch more hours into the game. But the fact that each random encounter ends with a loot piñata, it seems fine to me. (Again, my opinion might change after dozens more hours, but the first impression is good).

I went Spellshot as my class and just hit 7 and unlocked the second class ability, which for Spellshot turns my class ability into a second spell slot. I'll have to experiment with various spells to find a good combo I like.

Being able to sheep feels like a less-good version of the Siren phaselock ability, since the sheep flies around and is a harder target to hit. Even so, control is always very powerful. I'm gonna try double spell slots for a while, but being able to lock down a badass as a flying sheep will pretty much always be useful, even if the sheep is harder to hit than in previous games, so if the double spells don't work out, I've got a solid Plan-B to fall back on.

Lastly for first impressions, I love the Golden Dice collectibles. Having a tangible reward tied to finding the collectibles is great. Each Golden Dice you find adds to your Luck stat, which is this game's version of Magic Find. So exploration and discovery lead to better loot generation. Seems like a good reward structure and I approve.

Regarding the Golden Dice, I found 12/15 in the Queensbridge area. I'm assuming one is in a locked off place that I can't get to, so that leaves two that I missed somewhere.

Spoilers for the locked off place:
    On the island that you catapult yourself to, there are two gates that are both closed, and they lead to a hallway/side area that I can't access. I'm assuming there's a Golden Dice back there, but since I haven't found my way into the locked off area, I can't confirm that.

If anyone finds a way to open those gates and get back into that hallway, I'd appreciate a tip.

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    Due to pesky things like sleep and work getting in the way, I only have maybe 3(ish) hours logged on the game so far, but I'm loving it.

It's a bit odd, because everything feels familiar, and yet different. I think the world map (so far) adds a lot. That's the one defining feature that is decidedly not-Borderlands and wholly a Wonderlands thing. I also did not mind the 3 or 4 random encounters I got. Maybe my tune will change after sinking a bunch more hours into the game. But the fact that each random encounter ends with a loot piñata, it seems fine to me. (Again, my opinion might change after dozens more hours, but the first impression is good).

I went Spellshot as my class and just hit 7 and unlocked the second class ability, which for Spellshot turns my class ability into a second spell slot. I'll have to experiment with various spells to find a good combo I like.

Being able to sheep feels like a less-good version of the Siren phaselock ability, since the sheep flies around and is a harder target to hit. Even so, control is always very powerful. I'm gonna try double spell slots for a while, but being able to lock down a badass as a flying sheep will pretty much always be useful, even if the sheep is harder to hit than in previous games, so if the double spells don't work out, I've got a solid Plan-B to fall back on.

Lastly for first impressions, I love the Golden Dice collectibles. Having a tangible reward tied to finding the collectibles is great. Each Golden Dice you find adds to your Luck stat, which is this game's version of Magic Find. So exploration and discovery lead to better loot generation. Seems like a good reward structure and I approve.

Regarding the Golden Dice, I found 12/15 in the Queensbridge area. I'm assuming one is in a locked off place that I can't get to, so that leaves two that I missed somewhere.

Spoilers for the locked off place:
    On the island that you catapult yourself to, there are two gates that are both closed, and they lead to a hallway/side area that I can't access. I'm assuming there's a Golden Dice back there, but since I haven't found my way into the locked off area, I can't confirm that.

If anyone finds a way to open those gates and get back into that hallway, I'd appreciate a tip.

To your spoiler there is a quest that leads you back there, but I don't think a golden dice was in that area.

I've been enjoying it so far, the broken up map is a little hard to get used to, but it also makes fights more bite sized so you don't have to play for hours at a time to feel like you could have some fun.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    I will say even on console there are some weird bugs. Like it seems most of the time when I zone into a new area I get charged for a death for zoning in? And my past as a spore warden will sometimes be dead on my hud but very much alive?

Feels like they rushed release.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net