As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The little crystal turtle [Pokémon] is pretty cute.

• StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    edited March 2022
    Entei:
    wlcx2ltdbwtd.png

And I liked Ultra Moon. Some nice easy shinies and legendaries, and there are a few Ultrabeasts you can't even have on any other game

Stormwatcher on
    Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • GundiGundi Serious Bismuth Registered User regular
    My pokemon hot take, stunfisk is great actually

• Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    edited March 2022
    Gundi wrote: »
    My pokemon hot take, stunfisk is great actually

I would legit not mind trying it sometime. Recently I've been trying to use a lot of Pokemon I would never have considered before and it's been pretty fun. In Shining Pearl I've been using a Gastrodon and she's been pretty cool :3

(of course, I wish Gen 2 gave me more options... I'm up for using new pokemon but hell if I'm going to use the normal type starting stuff/bugs and that's most of what gen 2 gives for a long time :/)

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • TurambarTurambar Independent Registered User regular
    Gastrodon is a champ

Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
  • EnigmedicEnigmedic Registered User regular
    Gastrodon is a beast.

I've been messing with an offensive ferrothorn in online battles and the thing is a beast. With trick room I've been able to dynamax is, for off a couple max steel spikes and just laugh at their team's damage. Knocking out 3 legendaries with a ferrothorn is insane when those legends are things like zacian, Kyogre, kyurem, regieleki, solgaleo, etc. Also lunala is a crazy trick room setter.

• PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Even with the 4x to fire? Damn.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
    edited March 2022
    Did some more cleanup in Crystal last night. Ho-Oh is caught (in a Dive Ball because swag and literally it was the only Kurt ball I had and I was too lazy to trek all the way down the tower again to get out and wait for more... Dive Ball seems memeish enough in Ho-Oh's case tho. :3 Took a few resets to have it actually work). Finally got my male Scyther so now I'm raising my Paras with False Swipe to be a pokemon catcher :3 Starting to try and clean up some of the missing dex entries but it's really hard to catch anything with my current team since literally every move one-shots these "never go above level 20" wild pokemon. So this Paras (/Parasect eventually) will be useful. My current strategy has been to open up Serebii and go down each Kanto route in order to see if they have anything I don't have :3 The stupid time of day stuff does make it annoying tho (literally nothing but the same exact Pokemon comes out at night and the only time I can play is at night... I don't wanna change the clock *again*... *sigh*)

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
    Polaritie wrote: »
    Even with the 4x to fire? Damn.

Well it's wearing an assault vest and Kyogre is on the team so at least drizzle can help with fire.

edited March 2022
    Managed to catch all the Unown in Crystal last night :3 (was surprisingly fast.. I caught everything I needed really quickly except for M which the game then proceeded to taunt me by giving me a bunch of Ws and Es and I'm like, can't I just flip them over?). Slowly working that dex up. Wonder if I should focus on training for Red or keep cleaning up the stuff I'm missing (not that I can complete the Dex without trading but I'd like to at least catch what I can). Don't know why I spent like 30 mins looking for Crystal's only Yanma spawn at 1% but I did it and I caught it :P Edit: Also debating if I should dump Hypnosis on Poliwrath for Ice Punch now that I have a Parasect for catching things. Hypnosis is a useful move but it'd also be nice to get through Lance faster when money farming the E4 :3 (I'm assuming Poliwrath can learn Ice Punch here... I would be shocked if he couldn't)

Also broke down and ordered Ultra Moon :P It should be coming today. Kind of actually super excited to go back to gen 7 (my favorite gen). Meanwhile Shining Pearl still sits there unfinished.. haha.. I do need to finish that up so I can send it back to Gamefly, though at this point I figure I'm gonna just pay for an extra month beyond my free trial so I don't have to rush it and also so I can get Darkrai (seriously, my trial ends April 1st, the day Darkrai releases.. that's dumb timing :P) But the stuff on 3DS is easier since I can play that while I watch youtube/stream (which I could do with Switch but that's such a pain.. if I can play on the TV I'd rather play on the TV). I do really need to devote some time to Pearl tho, I'm at the last gym... (I seriously think the frustrating design of the berry planting/shaking trees is sort of keeping me from wanting to go back in but I can also just ignore that garbage, especially the trees which is all duplicate crap now anyways)

Edit: BLEH... arrived over lunch and they sent me the fucking "World Version" of Ultra Moon. I specifically paid an extra $10 to get the normal US version because I don't trust a version that lists a bunch of middle eastern countries like Saudia Arabia on the cover to either work with my 3DS's region lock and/or not being weirdly different in some way. It's *probably* fine but I'm returning this, it isn't what I ordered...

Warlock82 on
    Somehow I'm actually managing to fill up almost all of my boxes in Crystal. I booted up the Poke Transporter to move some crap off to bank. Wow, what a pain in the ass. It only moves Box 1 which means I gotta go into gen 2's shitty UI interface and manually copy each pokemon one-by-one over to box 1 :P I got all my Unowns and legendaries moved over now at least. Gonna be a pain when it's time to move everything.

there's always digital

camo_sig2.png
    there's always digital

I don't have very much space left on my 3DS so I didn't really want digital.

Ended up finding a listing on ebay for a new copy for the same price as Amazon. Even messaged the seller and he confirmed it was the US version so I just ordered that :3

As a side note, I think I've now caught almost everything there is to catch in Crystal? I still need Mr. Mime (10% my ass Serebii... I think you added an extra zero in there...) and I need to remember to actually get the damn Lapras that spawns on Fridays tonight. Other than that I think the only thing left are evos which I'm iffy on if I wanna bother. There's also Red I still gotta do. Maybe I should just try him and see how it goes. Everyone's ~52-55 at the moment.

I'd guess a new sd card would be cheaper than a pokemon game :D

camo_sig2.png
    edited March 2022
    I'd guess a new sd card would be cheaper than a pokemon game :D

I mean, it's the 3DS, so why? :P There's no point in getting a bigger one for essentially a dead system :P (also I'm not sure I can go bigger.. I forget what size I have in there but I may have bought the max supported size at the time). Besides, I looked at digital and it was only $10 cheaper than what I paid for physical. So *shrug.* The absolute stupid thing is that I learned Pokemon Center sells all the games on their website, including all the 3DS games, but of course, they are out of both the Ultra games (nothing else, just those :P)

But whatever, this ebay listing seems like it will work out fine. The guy selling it seemed super nice so I feel better about buying it from someone like that anyways :P

Warlock82 on
    Is everything I've ever known a lie? I just had two critical catches fail in Shining Pearl... I thought the point of critical catches was that it was an instant, guaranteed catched... What's the point of a critical catch if it's no different from a normal catch? Or is BDSP just broken? :P

Spent so much time bitching to myself that I was three Pokemon away from getting the national dex and all these new pokemon in battle tower weren't counting etc.. I finally looked, it was literally only the lake trio -_- Kind of crazy how much the spawns change in the underground after getting the national dex (it also makes zero sense but whatever :P). I actually ran out of quick balls from catching so much (except Absol because fuck you Parish Song)

• TurambarTurambar Independent Registered User regular
    Critical captures just mean the ball shakes once instead of three times, so the pokemon only has one chance to break free instead of three

So it increases your catch chance by a lot, but difficult to catch mons can still break free. Something like that

Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
    edited March 2022
    Turambar wrote: »
    Critical captures just mean the ball shakes once instead of three times, so the pokemon only has one chance to break free instead of three

So it increases your catch chance by a lot, but difficult to catch mons can still break free. Something like that

Weird, for whatever reason I always thought it was like a rare chance for an instant catch. I've literally never seen them fail until now (and it even happened twice).

In any case, damn BDSP really opens up after you get the national dex. I spent all weekend playing post game stuff (to the point I kind of didn't sleep on Saturday night :3). Caught most of the legendaries now except for Giratina, Heatran and the Shamyn event (and soon Darkrai). All of them in Luxury Balls despite that being a serious pain in the ass :P (gotta make these fights challenging somehow :D) My Gastrodon pretty much soloed all of them - that thing is nuts. Also, time I learn that Body Slam paralyzes ground types :3 (though seriously, did they have to give almost all of them healing? It's bad enough that I'm effectively throwing normal ass pokeballs at them without having to bait out all the Recovers first...)

Ranamas Park is really weird and I'm really wishing they had explained it better because I spent all of my mystery shards on the Discovery Tablets only to learn those *only* summon the Golems and I now had like 3 that I couldn't actually use or even sell back in any way -_- It was the only thing in the shop so I figured it was just the same item for each Legendary but it's not... *sigh* Much more farming later, at least I never have to do those stupid digging minigames anymore now (seriously, fuck the game when they just give you one full of rocks). From a "lore" perspective that park makes zero sense but I guess it's just one of those hand-wavey things. Also surprised at how little any of this post game stuff is told to the player. How the hell were you supposed to find Cresellia without looking it up? I guess they figure we have the internet for a reason (but still I like the games to at least hint at where to go :P)

Edit: Wow. I finally decided to google why Pokemon Home constantly freezes on me:
    https://support.pokemon.com/hc/en-us/articles/360046765251-Regarding-freezing-or-display-issues-in-the-mobile-device-version-of-Pokémon-HOME-when-using-the-GTS-or-Wonder-Trade-features-or-when-trying-to-view-Pokémon-details-in-Boxes

They are basically blaming hacked Pokemon and saying "Sorry, we aren't going to fix it." I looked at some reddit threads and this claim seems somewhat dubious at best. People who have meticulously been keeping hacked Pokemon out of their collections still have this problem and it sounds like it was introduced in a patch late last year.

But I mean, what a freaking awful response. What are people supposed to do here? If you use trading *at all* in any Pokemon game there is an extremely high chance you'll get hacked pokemon at some point. The GTS is absolutely flooded with them. Are they saying I need to manually scrub through every Pokemon in my collection to make sure that level 40 Charizard doesn't have perfect IVs or like, a water move or something? It's kind of absurd.

Also, I kind of call BS on this excuse. From a programming standpoint it feels extremely unlikely. The list of Pokemon only shows a little icon to represent each one and I think some basic info when you click. You have to click into the Pokemon to get the full details. Outside of including some invalid characters in the Pokemon or OT names or like someone actually getting a Missingno in there (which you'd think would fail import in both cases?), the basic list of Pokemon shouldn't be loading any data that would be "invalid" towards displaying the list. And I guarantee they aren't running anti-cheats against it because that would be nuts slow to run against a list of thousands (that's likely done at import and from what I've heard, it's very basic "Is this pokemon capable of existing in this state, with these moves, OT, ball type, etc. based on in-game or past events." Like if they haven't released a shiny of a specific mythical, that would be considered invalid. Or if they have, only versions with the specific OT and stuff pertaining to the event). So what kind of "defect" in the hacked pokemon would cause the app to freeze? (and why does it only happen if you scroll quickly? -_-) I think they are just trying to cover their asses here for shoddy coding. But man does this kind of explain why they haven't bothered to fix the 3DS GTS which has been broken due to an influx of hacked pokemon with data (where, unlike here, they actually do need to retrieve all the stats and stuff).

Warlock82 on
    Wow, so like all the Pokemon games I ordered arrived last night. Immediately I noticed the Black and Black 2 repro carts are cheap ass flash carts with a microSD card inside which doesn't instill confidence. I put Black in and the 3DS proceeds to display some rando Japanese game as the icon. Good start! I boot it up, game immediately crashes. Tried a few more times, yeah, just flat out doesn't work at all. I tried Black 2, same thing, I get a different game displayed (like Etrian Odyssey or something?). Boot this up, it works, but it takes me to literally an emulator asking me to load a rom. FFS, what a shit show. So I'm returning both. Last time I ordered one of these repro carts for DS Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon, the thing was virtually undistinguishable from a normal game. Boot it up, goes straight into the game, everything works great. Apparently this guy just got lazy -_- This guy better accept the returns - the listing says he does.

Not wanting to deal with this shit again, I'm just paying for legit carts. So fucking $200 later I have both re-ordered. *sigh* At least this time there will be no question on whether these work with Bank and stuff.

But on a good note, Ultra Moon also arrived and that one was not a shit show (because it was the actual game and everything :P). Played it a bunch, gen 7 still fun as hell. My memory is hazy on stuff so it's hard to tell how many of the differences are due to it being Moon vs. being "Ultra" Moon (since I played Sun originally). A lot of the pokemon are obviously different from what I remember (First area Zorua? Sure, I'll take it!). Also wow is everything horribly shut down now. I tried to redeem the codes for all the mega stones that shouldn't expire but, um, nope, Mystery Gift is flat out SHUT DOWN entirely so yeah. Haha. (Doesn't really matter to be honest).

Oh, and side note - was moving more stuff off Crystal into Bank. Leave it to Game Freak to hack detect their own legit Pokemon. It refused to transfer an Igglybuff and I couldn't figure out why. Googled it - yeah, apparently the gen 2 Odd Egg pokemon knows Dizzy Punch which is an illegal move for the babies in Gen 3+ and I guess Game Freak just *forgot* that it was legal in Gen 2. -_- I actually had to go and teach that damn thing a TM to overwrite Dizzy Punch in order to move it. As if the process wasn't tedious enough (so sick of putting pokemon in my party to remove items as it's the only way to do it)

Sorry for the triple post :P So after the mess that was the Black & Black 2 repro carts, as I said I spent like $200 on real carts. They both arrived super super quick (guess that happens when they don't have to ship from China :P) and I've been playing Black since Friday :3 Holy crap this game is so fun! I've literally never played gen 5 and don't even know *that* much about it so it's all pretty fresh to me. The fact that all the Pokemon are basically new (I mean, I recognize a lot of them now from future gens but they haven't brought forward a ton of gen 5 stuff I'm noticing) is kind of refreshing and it's nice to not see like a million Pikachus, Eevees, etc in the first ten minutes.

So far I am up to fake Las Vegas (I assume, I mean it has musicals and rides and is in the middle of a desert.. but no gambling so maybe I'm off.. but it's clearly not New York because I already visited fake New York.. which is located where Texas is supposed to be for some reason...). The feel of this game is so different from any other Pokemon game but I can also see what they were kind of going for here trying to replicate the feel of America (albeit so far mostly hipster/coffee house/grunge/theater America?). I'm still so torn - I was using a Muuna which I was getting really attached to, but I used a little trick to get all the gen 5 events and got a Liberty Pass and ended up replacing Muuna with a Victini. I feel bad using Victini but I mean, he has fire moves and I don't have a fire type :( Also it looked like if I evolved Muuna she would stop learning moves which is bullshit. Hate when Pokemon does that (I literally have a Moon Stone *right here*... don't lock me out of learning Psychic and stuff...). I dunno, I'm torn. On the other hand, I had fun farming for a female Timburr just so I could name her Kesha :P (yes, I do enjoy wasting my time for terrible jokes).

Also so far this game is actually kind of hard. It's a little surprising. I feel like I have to grind just to keep up with the level curve. And this being pre-gen 6 it still has a lot of the less friendly designs like old Exp Share. Speaking of which, holy crap does this feel like proto-gen 6. It's like I can finally feel the development curve here because I originally went from gen 3 to gen 6 and the difference was a bit jarring. But this was really the missing middle step. The whole "you have a bunch of friends who are your rivals but not really because none of them are jerks" thing definitely feels like it started here and gen 6 really expanded on it (and also ruined it because holy crap the gen 6 friends are all awful... thank god the anime redeemed them). A lot of the online stuff that gen 6 would use seems like it kind of originated out of this C-link thing (which no longer really does anything because rip DS internet). It's all very neat.

In any case, looks like I'm putting Ultra Moon on hold for a bit because I'm enjoying this game way too much. I've played Sun before so Ultra Moon is kinda sorta not new unlike this. I booted up Black 2 just to create a save game for moving Dream Radar stuff over (it was $3 so I figured why not?). A little sad, the save on there when I got it had a Genesect but it must have been hacked because PokeTransporter refused to move it. I didn't see anything that looked super unusual about it but it must be something with the OT or where it was met or something that gave it away as hacked. *shrug* Oh, and Pokemon Company, making me input a konami code just to reset save data is kind of ass (I thought this was bullshit when you made me do it to update the clock in Crystal too). I started a new game in Black, it warned me that there was already a save (and I'm like, yeah, I'm replacing it) and when I went to save the first time (so I could reset for female starter, thank god for my stupid pickiness) it literally wouldn't let me. I would have been so pissed if I had gotten further before realizing I had to throw away everything I'd done to return to the title screen and erasing the existing save first. Bleh.

P.S. - started watching an Alpha Sapphire nuzlocke and literally just realized now that Irida from Legends Arceus is based off the female protagonist of gen 3 (May). Knew her design looked familiar...

black and white(and 2) were great games. the spritework is outstanding, and the game isnt completely faceroll easy. the story is kind of interesting, at least more than any of the 3d games. there is also an easy and hard mode you can mess with if you have a save from another b&w game ( i forget exactly how this worked). lots of people trashed on the pokemon in those games but i think they are fine, and its more interesting than just rolling with the same few pokemon in every game. too bad the online stuff doesnt really work anymore. theres also a lot to be said about how quick battles go when the animations are sprites instead of 3d models. sun and moon, and sword and shield are agonizingly slow to play. i pray there is no mega stone or dynamax or something essentially the same in scarlet and violet because they slow things down so much.

edited April 2022
    Enigmedic wrote: »
    black and white(and 2) were great games. the spritework is outstanding, and the game isnt completely faceroll easy. the story is kind of interesting, at least more than any of the 3d games. there is also an easy and hard mode you can mess with if you have a save from another b&w game ( i forget exactly how this worked). lots of people trashed on the pokemon in those games but i think they are fine, and its more interesting than just rolling with the same few pokemon in every game. too bad the online stuff doesnt really work anymore. theres also a lot to be said about how quick battles go when the animations are sprites instead of 3d models. sun and moon, and sword and shield are agonizingly slow to play. i pray there is no mega stone or dynamax or something essentially the same in scarlet and violet because they slow things down so much.

Honestly the graphics are very hit or miss for me, in that despite using sprites it uses EXTENSIVE sprite scaling which brings out the inherent DS ugliness present in practically every DS game (I mean the thing was basically an N64 and the absolute awful texture resolution and lack of anti-aliasing has always kind of made DS games look especially ugly). When they aren't contorting and looking messed up the sprites are good tho :P (seriously though, you could have probably just animated breathing or whatever instead of making the sprite stretch and shrink with big rectangular pixels looking like someone resized the thing to the wrong aspect ratio).

In terms of quickness too, I will say the game takes FOREEEEEEEEEEEEEEVER to save. I don't quite get that one. Like almost a full minute. Don't quite get that one :P But the battles are nice.

But yeah, I very much appreciate the Pokemon designs. I'm not sure if I would have when it originally came out, but that was also a time where I wasn't playing Pokemon at all and kind of thought everything gen 3 onward looked like trash (I have since come to love them, especially the literal garbage pokemon). I've been wanting to try new Pokemon when I'm playing all these games instead of sticking to like, the same gen 1 crap I always pick and this sort of makes my job easy. (I'm even finding I kind of appreciate the stupid elemental monkeys that I hated the first time I saw them in Y... they feel less out of place here than they did there). It's a shame, this very nearly was my first pokemon game back since gen 3. A lot of people were trying to convince me to play it, that it was great, etc. I was always tempted but for whatever reason never jumped in. I almost didn't even jump back in for gen 6 if it weren't for a buy one get one free 3DS sale that kind of made getting Y a no brainer.

And yeah, I was kind of researching all the connectivity stuff. It looks like if you have the opposite game there's some end-game town you can send NPCs over from the other version to and it unlocks stuff (it looked like in Black it unlocks trainer battles and in white it unlocks gen 1-4 Pokemon to catch?). I don't really have a good way to do this (I ain't paying another $100 for White just to use this feature :P) but it doesn't feel like I'm missing out on a ton here. There is some sort of way to connect Black and Black 2 that I want to try at some point (it's supposed to unlock a bunch of stuff in Black 2), but it looks like it doesn't really matter until you beat the game so no sense in messing with it now. I was also reading the absolutely insane way you unlock Zoura in this game and holy shit, no, I think I'll just stick with the ones I can catch in the wild in Ultra Moon, thank you :P It involved having a gen 4 cart, then getting some kind of special GameStop shiny legendaries and trading those a certain way to gen 5 and then that is the only way to that evo line. Absolutely absurd :P (if I had Platinum I could probably still do it with the free Event Pokemon server thing but I ain't paying to get Platinum when I just played through Shining Pearl).

Also, kinda agree on the gimmick thing. I really dislike Dynamax and Mega Evos or Z-moves or whatever were never all that great either. Honestly I kind of like what Legends Arceus did with the Alpha Pokemon. They were just big Pokemon that had some special moves (moves that you could still get if you went to the move trainer but these had them in the wild). They weren't anything super special so they were mostly just a neat but un-intrusive thing. When they inevitably have some new gimmick, I hope it's more something like that. I will say though, I don't know why but my gut is telling me the gimmick might involve type combinations of some kind. Like, if you could make a Fire-Grass type move, or something. I dunno why I think this, maybe it's just the circle of types in the trailer with kind of a swirly rainbow pokeball in the middle.

Edit: Huh, I just noticed Pokemon twitter is still posting generational artwork in order... today's is Sun & Moon:

Last week they posted one for X & Y (also rip Rhyhorn racing which was almost certainly gonna be in Pokemon Z since they were teasing it so much):

Before that, Black & White 2, Black & White (yeah, they did both), Diamond and Pearl, Ruby and Sapphire, and a combo Red/Green + Gold/Silver tweet... At first I thought these were leading up to Pokemon Day since they were originally hash-tagged as such, but they're still doing them after Pokemon Day is over.

I'm wondering, are they leading up to a Gen 9 art reveal? They've only got one more gen to go before they run out of them after all :P Wonder if we'll see something in a few weeks in that regard (I'm assuming next week will be Sword and Shield). It might not be anything too special, but hey, if it's new artwork of the new game, that's still cool. (and who knows, maybe they'll sneak a new Pokemon into it)

Warlock82 on
  • CruorCruor Registered User regular
    I just want them to give us more official Fuecoco art. I'm wild about that little guy.

• TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    Strange, I could have sworn I got a Zoroark in Black and I'm pretty sure I never got those special encounters. Never got Black 2 so I couldn't have gotten one there.

When it comes to Gen 5, I disliked how so many of the new Pokemon were various Legendary and Mythical ones. Gen 4 had a similar problem, and I recall that my least favorite part of competitive was that half the meta was single-encounter Pokemon like Heatran and if you wanted a good one you had to spend countless hours catching and resetting and hoping for a good combination of Nature and IVs. Gen 5 doubled down (almost literally, I think they went from ~8 to ~15 Legendaries and Mythics) on the concept, but they've toned it down since then at least, and they've added the various ways to change those stats if the one you caught is terrible. And all that's aside from not caring for a lot of the Gen 5 Pokemon designs (I still say I hate the genies and they look stupid), because there's some real winners there: Joltik, Litwick, Maractus, Escavalier. I do like a fair few of them, but it also feels like a bit of laziness was setting in, which has been discussed to death so I'm not going to get into it.

Gen 5 was just very forgettable to me.

edited April 2022
    Terrendos wrote: »
    Strange, I could have sworn I got a Zoroark in Black and I'm pretty sure I never got those special encounters. Never got Black 2 so I couldn't have gotten one there.

When it comes to Gen 5, I disliked how so many of the new Pokemon were various Legendary and Mythical ones. Gen 4 had a similar problem, and I recall that my least favorite part of competitive was that half the meta was single-encounter Pokemon like Heatran and if you wanted a good one you had to spend countless hours catching and resetting and hoping for a good combination of Nature and IVs. Gen 5 doubled down (almost literally, I think they went from ~8 to ~15 Legendaries and Mythics) on the concept, but they've toned it down since then at least, and they've added the various ways to change those stats if the one you caught is terrible. And all that's aside from not caring for a lot of the Gen 5 Pokemon designs (I still say I hate the genies and they look stupid), because there's some real winners there: Joltik, Litwick, Maractus, Escavalier. I do like a fair few of them, but it also feels like a bit of laziness was setting in, which has been discussed to death so I'm not going to get into it.

Gen 5 was just very forgettable to me.

As far as I can tell, yeah, this is the *only* way. At least according to Serebii which only lists their location as a "gift" (the location for Zoroark is apparently something that opens when you transfer one of the event shiny legendary dogs):
    https://www.serebii.net/blackwhite/zorua.shtml
    https://www.serebii.net/blackwhite/zoroark.shtml

It seems like Zorua is available in Black & White 2 via just a normal in-game gift though (with no pre-reqs as far as I can tell).

Warlock82 on
    edited April 2022
    Someone at our office has a "Complete Walkthrough" of Emerald on the big TV (my office is cool). This dude literally just caught a level 9 Abra with his master ball. Everyone here is just baffled at how terrible he is at the game. He also seems to have no concept of type matchups (it was fun watching him use a Swellow vs. a Kingdra and watch his HP nearly drop to zero with one ice attack :P

It's here btw:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WAU_Rba3r4E

(edit: I am shocked at how civil and un-harsh the comments on that video are)

Warlock82 on
    But what if it's secretly all calculated? Like they know they are doing the wrong things but are still doing it and getting through the game.

I started playing Arceus recently, and I'm still not sure whether I like it or not. It's definitely way more punishing. Even getting hit by a not effective attack by something 5 levels lower than you takes 50% of your Pokemons health.

I did manage to catch an alpha scyther before I fought cleavor though. Too bad he does his own thing half the time because I'm not 4 star yet. Kinda nice having a 42 when most enemies are like 20 though. It's a super pain to catch alphas though. Even with a back attack they still pop right out of the balls.

I've been working my way through Pokemon Black pretty swiftly. I'm up to 6 gym badges (and I assume I could just get #7 right now.. it doesn't look like the gym is blocked by story this time). This game has been so fun :3 Though I just realized last night that Kesha (formerly a Tiburr :3) is a god damn trade evolution. Luckily it looks like Black & Black 2 can trade between each other so I think I can just trade it to myself and back. I should make sure I grab my old DS from downstairs when I get home (I have another 3DS and a DSi somewhere too but who the hell knows where those are). It sucks tho, I want a bigger team. I want to use Litwick but I already have Victini as Fire/Psychic so it would be like, I'd have to probably replace him. The other slots are just too well filled ATM (had to ditch lightning Zebra for literally someone who could learn Fly.. using fossil bird right now :3), though I wish Serperior would learn some god damn non-grass moves. I still have freaking TACKLE on her for crying out loud because I want at least *one* move of a different type. And it's like my TMs have been a perfect storm of moves that would be garbage on her and/or she can't learn. Grr... One thing I've been realizing about the older gens is that just about everyone has god-awful learnsets. Too many moves shoved off to like, level freaking 80 or whatever, or evolving flat out stopping them from learning any new moves at all...

Side note, Gamefly offered me a free upgrade to two rentals for this month (and then they'd charge me for the two rental price) so I figured, what the hell, I'm cancelling it before the end of the month and decided to just grab Let's Go Pikachu purely to make a save game so I can get fat Pikachu in Shield. Haha. I figured, why not? I don't wanna play it but this is an opportunity to get that save game on my system for free. But speaking of which, still need to devote some time to finishing Shining Pearl so I can return it by the end of the month. I think I'm down to needing Giratina and I guess now Darkrai. But I also wanna get Spiritomb (I swear I must be literally missing one damn kid) and maybe will wanna clean up some other stuff, I'm not sure (I know national dex opens up a bunch of other stuff gen to catch in Safari Zone and that Mansion backyard, plus I probably missed a handful of things in the underground too.. but it's also like, I'm never completing this pokedex anyways so literally this is only for trading off to Pokemon HOME once that gets supported).

• discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    Enigmedic wrote: »
    But what if it's secretly all calculated? Like they know they are doing the wrong things but are still doing it and getting through the game.

I started playing Arceus recently, and I'm still not sure whether I like it or not. It's definitely way more punishing. Even getting hit by a not effective attack by something 5 levels lower than you takes 50% of your Pokemons health.

I did manage to catch an alpha scyther before I fought cleavor though. Too bad he does his own thing half the time because I'm not 4 star yet. Kinda nice having a 42 when most enemies are like 20 though. It's a super pain to catch alphas though. Even with a back attack they still pop right out of the balls.

Yeah, you really need to feed them, then back attack them with a black ball.
    And even then, I've had streaks where the alpha has broken like 20 balls.

Anyway, at this point I'm pretty sure the professor has written me off for dead, as I've never come back from the second map.

I just unlocked the 2nd map in my file. But I did explore a bit of it on my wife's. So looking forward to ghastly and haunter and a few others.

• discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    The second map also unlocks a couple of different things to do while in the different maps.
    Probably want to talk to people in town before you head out for some of that though.

edited April 2022
    Man, I unlocked Spiritomb in Shining Pearl over the weekend. I said to myself "Ok, I'm not going to reset for a shiny but it shouldn't be too bad to reset for good IVs right?" (good IVs being when the camera zooms in on your trainer at the start of the fight). Nope, took forever! At some point I refused to give up because I had already sunk so much time into it. Eventually got the good IVs (honestly at that point was hoping for shiny after that many resets but I'll take what I can get) but man, I guess spiritomb doesn't get auto boosted IVs like all the legendaries do (it was like, maybe 3 resets max to get good IVs with them). I know it's not a legendary but it still feels like a special pokemon :P

I then noticed I could add another odd keystone and proceeded to farm all the damn NPCs to get a second one because I hate myself apparently.

As a side note, up to 7 badges in Pokemon Black. Woo! I assume I'm getting my legendary box Pokemon soon too since I got some glowy orb thing that somehow has a dragon inside it (what, is it like a locked Pokeball?). I have to go to next gym town to do a thing I guess so we'll see.

Also I turned Arceus back on to finally redeem all the BDSP save game bonuses (I swear someone said the clothing was no longer available but thank god that wasn't true) and god damn I have lost all muscle memory for that game. It's getting jarring going between all these different Pokemon games because for whatever reason I swear GameFreak maps things to different buttons in each game (or at least each gen - I think S&S and BDSP are fairly similar? Or at least the menu and save game are mapped to the same buttons).

(also I was watching a nuzlocke of Platinum and god damn I kinda sorta want to buy that game now, even though I technically already just played Shining Pearl and it's like stupid expensive on eBay... bleh.. I have a ton of shit to play so I'll hold off for now)

Edit: Also, I found this over the weekend and it is delightful
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HePvLYiZVko

Warlock82 on
    I went through a very similar journey from 2020 to now. I played Platinum, SoulSilver and all the Switch games that came out during that period.
    I have many anecdotes and feelings, but the most important are: Gen IV sloooow. and Fuck Roamer Legendaries.

camo_sig2.png
    edited April 2022
    Gen IV sloooow. and Fuck Roamer Legendaries.

Yes. I also feel like BDSP inherited some of this because the camera has to make about 20 different pans and then the game has to give you a paragraph about your pokemon's emotional state before you're allowed to enter any inputs in a battle.

Also, I forgot to mention for funsies I cracked open my original Shield save over the weekend. Yuck, wtf is this team? No psychics, no ghosts, no ground types... what was I thinking? Maybe this is why I started getting bored with this game. *When* I get back to this save file (cuz spoiler alert, I finally bought the god damn dlc) I am chucking half this team and also giving everyone nicknames. Seriously, why am I using Boltund and Corviknight? (Corviknight doesn't seem bad but he has garbage ass moves ATM). I'm also tossing Alcremie in a box because she's on my other save file food team and I refuse the use the same crap multiple times :P (also, frankly, she's not great.. pure fairy type is not the most diverse moveset...). I also have Ludicolo on here, because Ludicolo is hilarious and I respect that choice, but also my starter was Grookie so this is fairly redundant (frankly I almost wanna chuck the extra Cinderace on my team that I must have gotten through a random trade but at least he knows fighting moves too). (all that said, man the ghost gym was a joke because this team was about ten levels higher than it, even with literally zero super effective moves besides some very garbage dark type moves on Corviknight... contrast to my food team that was like half ghost and actually not over leveled :P )

Oh also, I finally got my Gurdurr evolved. Fun fact, apparently you can't trade at all until after you beat the first gym. Soooo I had to play through a bunch of Black 2 just to get to a point where I was allowed to trade with myself because trade evos suck (please, I beg you GameFreak, we need the Link Cable item from Legends Arceus in Gen 9!). Also fun fact, you can't trade a Pokemon with HM moves -_- Had to actually use the Move Deleter for once in my life just to trade back and forth to myself.

Warlock82 on
    edited April 2022
    Let's Go Pikachu arrived from Gamefly. Was originally just gonna make a save file and call it good but decided to play instead. Um, I forgot how fun this game was? It probably helps that I was playing undocked where the controls aren't ass but man, this game is much better than I was remembering (honestly, still, this is 100% the art style BDSP should have gone for if they wanted to keep stuff similar to the original in terms of everything being a grid, etc). I then put the switch back in the dock and remembered how much I hate the motion controls (seriously, one joycon upright control is awkward to begin with, but then the throwing motion controls are so finicky... so many pokeballs just swiveling to the right or left). Still tho, gonna see if I can beat this before the end of the month. Kanto is pretty short, I think I can do it.

Edit: Oh, and I cleaned up most everything in Shining Pearl now. Giratina was kind of a PITA but it's done. There's still like, Pokemon I could catch in the Trophy Garden or Safari Zone but I dunno how much I particularly care...

Warlock82 on
  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    Let's Go Pikachu is really damn fun. It was also the entry point for my son's Pokemon addiction haha.

• LucedesLucedes might be real Registered User regular
    Corviknight is Good, Actually

edited April 2022
    Lucedes wrote: »
    Corviknight is Good, Actually

Yeah, mine just had garbage moves (Dark has a lot of awesome moves and a lot that I just find to be trash). Of all the Pokemon on that team (besides starter Grookie third evo whatever the hell that's called) that's one I will likely keep when I pick that saved file back up. I just need to dig through my TMs and see if I can improve his moveset. I may keep Scorbunny third evo too? I dunno... multiple starters feels like cheating in a way. I'd consider keeping Alcremie but I'm using it on my other save file and I'm about to enter magical fairy pony land anyways :P (Bolthound and Ludicolo are definitely going tho) One thing I'm trying to do is not re-use the same pokemans across games as much as is reasonable. Let's Go not giving me a whole lotta choice but I mean, I'm gonna try out Primeape and Hypno I think... I need to stop relying on powerhouse Golem/Gengar/Alakazam/sometimes Machamp squad.. (Arcanine for fire is at least a more interesting choice than "of course Charizard" :P And no way in hell to Magmar, sorry weird fire duck, you are way too late in the game)

Also, eBay, stop trolling me. I put a bid down on Pokemon Platinum for a really nice price but still 3 days to get outbid to hell. Get an email this morning "Pokemon Platinum Version (DS, 2009) is no longer available." I thought the seller de-listed it or something. No, pretty sure this is just another listing I was watching (mine had a *slightly* different title). Gah. I do want to get this game now though. I've seen enough stuff to say it's probably a different enough experience from Diamond/Pearl that it's worth checking out (aside from just I haven't played any *actual* gen 4 games, just the gen 8 version of gen 4 :P So it's neat/interesting from that perspective with the original graphics and everything). It's way down the list of shit to play but if I can get it for a good price, why not jump on now :P (I'm guessing BDSP is driving the price down.. it's not nearly as ridiculously expensive as gen 5)

Warlock82 on
    Randomly saw this on twitter

Making the important choices early :3

More importantly, making the right choices early.

edited April 2022
    That feeling when you see your first shiny of the game.. In seafoam cave... With one ultra ball in your inventory... And like 6 great balls... And then the God damn motion controls screw you a bunch and the thing runs away... *sigh*

It was just a seel, kind of a dumb shiny, but still really pissed off about that. The running mechanic combined with how jank the motion controls of let's go are really sucks. Also I blame the Staryus I was chaining on Route 19 which Serebii assured me would spawn a Lapras, but I got up to like 34 chained with no Lapras spawn before one finally ran. But that ate through all my ultra balls :/

As a side note, I'm now up to Cinnabar Island which is officially way further than I got in let's go eevee (where I kind of rushed to unlock Go Park and lost interest.. Haha). Should be able to easily beat this before the end of the month when I have to send stuff back to gamefly

Edit: I later went and farmed two shiny Caterpies.. holy shit shiny hunting is kind of a joke in this game for certain mons (anything you can actually chain reliably). Just having to sit around afk and wait for a spawn to show up (after a 31 chain) is so much easier :P

Warlock82 on