As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Battletech] New KS - 23 Mar!

• HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    Went by B&N yesterday, and they had 4 boxes of the Wolf's Dragoon pack, 6 clan salvage boxes, 2 each of the beginner box and core box. Not a huge selection, but nice to see. I picked up the Wolf's box and one salvage (Nova).

• ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Speak to me of storage.

Once you get your 'mechs out of their boxes and painted and stuff, how do y'all store them neatly and accessibly?

• NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    I’m considering a pluck foam case, just need to figure out which company (Battlefoam is probably a bit too expensive for my needs)

• NipsNips He/Him Luxuriating in existential crisis.Registered User regular
    edited March 2022
    Pluck foam is probably the cheapest commercial option. Bonus that you can find whatever case(s) suit your fancy, and fit your foam to it.

Battlefoam, Feldherr and the like will be more pricy, but the quality is good. My Battlefoam P.A.C.K. carriers have served admirably for ten-plus years, but are starting to show undesirable wear (e.g. interior seams coming loose).

As you know by now, I've started to move to bespoke, artisan-crafted solutions.

XzznL2Dl.jpeg

I still need to work on my design technique a bit, however. Not quite satisfied with my work.

Nips on
    JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
  • IanatorIanator Gaze upon my works, ye mighty and facepalm.Registered User regular
    With my 3D printer working again I have decided to start work on a diorama I've had in mind for a while.

Can you guess what it is?

Hint:
    Shadow Hawk, Griffin, Valkyrie and Enforcer.

steam_sig.png
    Twitch | Blizzard: Ianator#1479 | 3DS: Ianator - 1779 2336 5317 | FFXIV: Iana Ateliere (NA Sarg)
    Backlog Challenge List
  • AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    Nips wrote: »
    Pluck foam is probably the cheapest commercial option. Bonus that you can find whatever case(s) suit your fancy, and fit your foam to it.

Battlefoam, Feldherr and the like will be more pricy, but the quality is good. My Battlefoam P.A.C.K. carriers have served admirably for ten-plus years, but are starting to show undesirable wear (e.g. interior seams coming loose).

As you know by now, I've started to move to bespoke, artisan-crafted solutions.

XzznL2Dl.jpeg

I still need to work on my design technique a bit, however. Not quite satisfied with my work.

Some might say you're a Foam to Table kinda guy.

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • NoughtNought Registered User regular
    So, I was snooping on r/battletech to see how much people do with their mech bases.

The common answer seems to be 'What's a base'.

Anyway, there was a thread about Clan Wolverine, that got me thinking.

Would you all agree that at this point it might be best to not reveal anything more about them, kinda like the two lost primarches in w40k?

Some of the ideas people in the thread had made me think that it would be best to leave it as a mystery.

One of the more wild ones was that they had allied with the remains of WoB and The Society and would do a Clan Invasion mrk. 2 sometime in the future.

On fire
    Island. Being on fire.
    After reading many, many discussions on the topic, I'm of the opinion that CGL should leave sleeping ghosts lie. Clan Wolverine is dead, and the Minnesota Tribe left for greener pastures in the absurdly-deep Periphery (probably).

JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
    edited March 2022
    That is one of the things I love about Battletech. The setting is full of weird and unexplained stuff. Things that people in-universe speculate and theorize about in the exact same way people out-of-universe speculate and theorize about. It really helps make the setting feel alive and I am hard pressed to think of another setting that does it in this way. Plenty of settings have their own mysteries, but typically there is enough evidence to point to a singular conclusion for the fandom to piece together even when characters in-universe remain ignorant. Many settings cannot help themselves when it comes to resisting the urge to eventually pull back the curtain and reveal the Real Truth, which generally isn't ever as fun as what fans speculate. Hell, I'd argue that the speculation itself is what truly makes it fun in the first place.

As to the Wolverines and their fate it seems likely that they settled in the Deep Periphery to the galactic SW of the FWL and Magistracy. The Magistracy in particular has apparently long benefitted from trade with a mysterious and secretive trading partner, even post-Clan Invasion. This partner has provided them with advanced tech for a very long time and is speculated to be the reason for the Magistracy's overall level of high development despite being a Periphery Nation. It doesn't sound like they received any kind of military tech however. As to whether the writers would do anything with Clan Wolverine/Minnesota Tribe in a direct way, I kind of doubt it. Most of the writers seem to be of the opinion that the mystery itself is what makes it fun and are very content with simply adding more "evidence" (with heavy quotations) to the Wolverines' ultimate fate.

My current favorite mystery are the Green Ghosts. They operate in and around the former RWR systems. The same systems that have long been erased from Star Charts. They are highly advanced, well disciplined, use cutting edge equipment (IS, ComStar/WoB, Clan), have a WarShip and their JumpShips use Lithium-Fusion batteries which is extraordinarily rare. Even weirder is that they seem to be made up of former ComStar members, Word of Blake agents, Clanners, Periphery folks and even former Lyran soldiers. Their tactics are just as eclectic as the Green Ghosts have been seen using standard IS formations, ComStar/WoB formations, Clan Stars or a mishmash. They seem to have a very strong interest in former RWR sites, Star League sites, LosTech and SLDF caches. They do not communicate with anyone or call for surrender and they kill their own/themselves (typically) instead of being captured. Honestly it sounds like someone, somewhere is doing a lot of brainwashing IMHO. edit- In-universe some have speculated that they may in fact be Clan Wolverine/Minnesota Tribe, but in-universe many think that theory is extremely unlikely.

Axen on
    edited March 2022
    And starting in May people can purchase Salvage Boxes. These are not the ones from the Kickstarter but instead contain 1 of the 93 designs they have made, either IS or Omni. Fortress Miniatures has them listed for $6 USD which is a dangerously justifiable price for me.

Axen on
  • HydroSqueegeeHydroSqueegee ULTRACAT!!!™®© Registered User regular
    Axen wrote: »
    And starting in May people can purchase Salvage Boxes. These are not the ones from the Kickstarter but instead contain 1 of the 93 designs they have made, either IS or Omni. Fortress Miniatures has them listed for $6 USD which is a dangerously justifiable price for me.

I can see it now at an FLGS near you; Everyone pays $50 to enter a bracket style tournament. You're given 6 blind boxes. You assemble the best lance you can with those 6, 2 are in reserve. You can swap in replacement mechs between matches, but damage from each match carries over and cant be repaired. Everyone that participates gets to keep the 6 mechs when they're eliminated. Final man standing at the end gets $XX + 2 more blind boxes to make a full 2 lances.

Terrible idea really, but could be fun, if not time consuming. Maybe add a maximum match time and a chess style clock system. Lots of random luck at the beginning, but you're paying money for a chance at a nice cash prize plus you get 6 mechs if nothing else. Could just to Alpha Strike on hexes too since its way quicker.

kx3klFE.png

I can see it now at an FLGS near you; Everyone pays $50 to enter a bracket style tournament. You're given 6 blind boxes. You assemble the best lance you can with those 6, 2 are in reserve. You can swap in replacement mechs between matches, but damage from each match carries over and cant be repaired. Everyone that participates gets to keep the 6 mechs when they're eliminated. Final man standing at the end gets $XX + 2 more blind boxes to make a full 2 lances.

Terrible idea really, but could be fun, if not time consuming. Maybe add a maximum match time and a chess style clock system. Lots of random luck at the beginning, but you're paying money for a chance at a nice cash prize plus you get 6 mechs if nothing else. Could just to Alpha Strike on hexes too since its way quicker.

It works for Magic: The Gathering.

• IanatorIanator Gaze upon my works, ye mighty and facepalm.Registered User regular
    dpVBW6G.jpg

steam_sig.png
    Twitch | Blizzard: Ianator#1479 | 3DS: Ianator - 1779 2336 5317 | FFXIV: Iana Ateliere (NA Sarg)
    Backlog Challenge List
  • AvalonGuardAvalonGuard Registered User regular
    Elvenshae wrote: »
    Speak to me of storage.

Once you get your 'mechs out of their boxes and painted and stuff, how do y'all store them neatly and accessibly?

Magnets!

Basically, take a scrapbook document box, glue in a layer of sheet metal, then stick a small magnet into a couple of stacked washers glued to the bottom of mini bases. If you’re interested I can grab a couple photos of my current setup when I get home tonight

Funny, I was just piling a bunch of FPG decal sheets into my cart at Fortress today, and this prompted me to look at those and the Force Packs. Those prices are absurd.

I do not need more 'Mechs.
    *hugging knees, rocking back and forth*

• TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    edited March 2022
    Behold

My completed monument to poor decision making, excessive free time, sheer stubbornness, and unchecked obsession.

w59fziakaoed.jpg

Also sweet Kerensky what were they thinking with A Time of War? It's like they let someone really into crunch write an RPG book with no editor

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    Is it Strategic Ops that has the rules for Warship combat & construction?

If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
    edited March 2022
    Yea Strat Ops is warships, aerospace, all that fun stuff.

It's actually kinda neat how they arranged the book series with general ground combat, then "the big book of doing really stupid shit with mechs," "the Comstar guide for turning a planet into a meatgrinder with a forward by Anastasius Focht," "Hippity hoppity I'm orbital striking your property," "Who let the IT guy write an RPG book?," "So you want to commit war crimes?" and finally "Fan Fiction: The Rulebook."

It just scales out and out and out (with a weird detour into RPG land) and you can just go grab what you need when you need it or use it as a GM reference to know how things work in universe for an RPG campaign or whatever. It's a TON of info and crunch tho and I think I'd lose my mind trying to organize a full faction war but you could do it of you were crazy enough and wanted to play a single BT campaign for the rest of your life.

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
    The quietly-hidden but widely-understood secret behind that stack of rules is that at some point, FASA wanted (like many game devs of the 80's and 90's) to have their game be all things to all players. Sell sell sell! So what you end up with is like three or four actually distinct games piled on top of each other, and blended into each other at the edges so much it just looks like a continuation of the same game.

Honestly, that idea is so wild, it's astonishing it holds together even as much as it does.

• AvalonGuardAvalonGuard Registered User regular
    edited March 2022
    I think Battletech’s success is largely around how friendly it is to new players, rules notwithstanding. You don’t even need models; just a map sheet, rules, and a pair of d6s. Catalyst even offers the beginner rules for free on their site. The beginner’s box is $20!

Compare that to 40k and woof. The pinned “40k refugees start here” post on the battletech subreddit is super telling; it’s definitely tongue in cheek, but why does that joke exist in the first place, you know?

And after a few games, the new player might be hungry for more. More stompy robots, rulesets, campaigns, etc. it’s all modular and exactly as deep and wild as you want to go. Battletech has more in common with D&D than MANY other wargames in terms of giving power to the players. I truly think that the people at Catalyst understand this completely. Sell people good minis, worthwhile rule- and sourcebooks, cool-ass map sheets, and let people enjoy the world as they want.

Battletech can even work as a competitive tourney game, with good rules and restrictions in place. Although I think it’s SUPER interesting how more competitive play has no sway over the people I play BT with, nor over any of the spaces I frequent.

Battletech for me boils down to this; it gives me the same sort of fun and fuzzy feelings that my first steps into Magic the Gatheting did. An endless well of possibility and play space. Only this time, I won’t be left in the dust because my friends spent $200 on lands.

AvalonGuard on
    The pinned “40k refugees start here” post on the battletech subreddit is super telling; it’s definitely tongue in cheek, but why does that joke exist in the first place, you know?
    I know this was a bit rhetorical but I was there for that exodus. When Games Workshop decided to fuck fan content creators over to push the god awful 40k streaming/animation that has been largely super shitty it pissed a lot of people off and the BT subreddit got a big influx of 40k refugees. That thread popped up when all that happened out of sheer necessity cause we needed a landing pad for all the newcomers. Not surprisingly a "keep your fucking politics off our subreddit" rule came up shortly soon after, lol.

wWuzwvJ.png
    Battletech is very player/consumer friendly.

If you want to get in to it the game doesn’t break the bank. Base rules are free. You don’t need Mechs, but I think most people would want them. Even in that regard you can 3D print them if you want or buy the official minis. The latter isn’t a particularly expensive option either. Hell, there are rules to make your own completely original Mechs (and everything else)! I cannot think of any other wargame that allows that.

Even when it comes to painting them I’ve demonstrated before that even with no skill or confidence you can just get yourself a rattle can of whatever color of paint you want and a Wash and get something on the table that looks perfectly fine (and in under 10 minutes!). Plus I’ve personally not come across any paint snobs in the BT community. I’m sure there are some out there, but certainly they are a rarity I’d say.

Comparing BT to D&D I’d say is more right than wrong. Base rules are perfectly good and certainly the most common method of play. If you want to really expand shit you have options.

When it comes to building your force you are not limited by anything. No lore, no factions, no rules saying what your force can and can’t contain or must contain. It just has a Battle Value and as long as you and your opponent are roughly equivalent you are good to go. Shit man you can take a purely infantry/mechanized force against your opponent’s Mechs if you wanted!

Whatever the fuck you want Battletech to be there are likely rules to make it so.

• HydroSqueegeeHydroSqueegee ULTRACAT!!!™®© Registered User regular
    stopped by the ol flgs to see if they had those 2 new books (spoiler: they did not). But they had tooooooons of other battletech stuff. Lots of lance packs, books, map sheets. It was kinda nuts to see. Had a nice rack section all to itself. Glad the game is gaining traction.

kx3klFE.png
    zuJXdQh.jpg

steam_sig.png
    Backlog Challenge List
  • IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    Those are amazing @Ianator! Beautiful prints!

(I hope you will reveal the significance of the lance configuration at some point. I did not get the reference.)

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
    It's a bit obscure, I'm sure. I didn't even know I had to do this until I first laid eyes on it.

steam_sig.png
    Backlog Challenge List
    Ianator wrote: »
    It's a bit obscure, I'm sure. I didn't even know I had to do this until I first laid eyes on it.

If there were Mech commercials in the IS (which there probably are) I think the Mechs would have this paint scheme.

edited March 2022
    Don't get me wrong, those prints are immaculate and @Ianator should be proud of the work.

But holy shit do I hate the look of the pieced-together MWO Frankenstein STL that is that Valkyrie. Just, ugh.

I have this same opinion of most of the STLs of MWO-derived and remixed models that aren't actually MWO models.

[Edit] Also, Sweet Kerensky I'm jealous of the crispness of those prints. Mine don't feel like they come out that sharp. What printer and resin are you using?

Nips on
  • BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    edited March 2022

I am glad that I was thinking this was the scene you were trying to replicate. Wasn't positive since it has been a while since I booted that game up.

Edit: I absolutely loved the first game that I bought this one immediately at a computer swap meet. I only did the first part over and over again since I just liked the intro battle.

Edit #2: I hope that those boxes and games were never thrown out. Should look for them the next time I'm at my Mom's place.

Betsuni on
    oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
    Don't get me wrong, those prints are immaculate and @Ianator should be proud of the work.

But holy shit do I hate the look of the pieced-together MWO Frankenstein STL that is that Valkyrie. Just, ugh.

I have this same opinion of most of the STLs of MWO-derived and remixed models that aren't actually MWO models.

[Edit] Also, Sweet Kerensky I'm jealous of the crispness of those prints. Mine don't feel like they come out that sharp. What printer and resin are you using?

Elegoo Mars printer, Anycubic basic grey resin. I think I'm using the stock Chitubox profile?

steam_sig.png
    Backlog Challenge List
    When a man has a job to do he’s got to rely on his 'Mech to show up for work. He needs Fire Power, Heatsinks and Armor and when a man realizes his 'Mech is calling in sick. . . it’s time to think about a Marauder.

In the meantime, I have two more minis which I'm also going to paint in 3028 Crescent Hawks colors. I printed the Wolverine because I forgot it was actually a Griffin in the picture, and added a Phoenix Hawk because I really like Phoenix Hawks.

Right is the WVR with the blue (almost) limited to the center torso like the original. Left is the PXH with the side torsos also painted blue. Which do you think looks better?

Y0jLZUn.jpg

steam_sig.png
    Backlog Challenge List
    Blue shirt or Blue tie? I guess, is it a formal occasion they're dressing up for? 🤣

Tamar Rising:

I'd like to nominate the following for "Best New SLDF Organization":

The Department of Mega Engineering

• H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited March 2022
    In the meantime, I have two more minis which I'm also going to paint in 3028 Crescent Hawks colors. I printed the Wolverine because I forgot it was actually a Griffin in the picture, and added a Phoenix Hawk because I really like Phoenix Hawks.

Right is the WVR with the blue (almost) limited to the center torso like the original. Left is the PXH with the side torsos also painted blue. Which do you think looks better?

Y0jLZUn.jpg

I like the Phoenix Hawk's full-chest color scheme. It reminds me of traditional Gundam color schemes, particularly the typical Earth Federation Forces mobile suits in the old shows.

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
    edited March 2022
    Blue shirt or Blue tie? I guess, is it a formal occasion they're dressing up for? 🤣

Tamar Rising:

I'd like to nominate the following for "Best New SLDF Organization":

The Department of Mega Engineering

Why can't you be more like your Cousin?

I'm an engineer too, Ma!

You're not a Mega-Engineer like Barry! You gotta be more ambitious with your life!

Ma, they're the same thing! We're both just engineers, Barry just works on a bigger scale! We've been through this already!

Axen on
    edited March 2022
    OMG this book is just too good.

The AMLS Gift Horse, a freshly-built Invader-class jumpship:
    The Horses attempt an attack on the Alyina Merchant League star docks at Butler to claim it (and the system, following) but in doing so get caught out so badly that they're routed and beaten back to their jumpship. Which the League then headcaps, leaving the Horses stranded and taken as isorla.

The Horse jumpship's KF drive is removed, and placed in the new League jumpship currently under construction. And thus it is named.

Gift.
    Horse.

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Nips on
  • ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    Okay yeah that's pretty amazing

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • TiglissTigliss Registered User regular
    H3Knuckles wrote: »

Y0jLZUn.jpg

I like the Phoenix Hawk's full-chest color scheme. It reminds me of traditional Gundam color schemes, particularly the typical Earth Federation Forces mobile suits in the old shows.

Does the paint cover the printing line/layers? Because wow, that looks pretty amazing. Always good to see the old Cresent Hawks ride again.

l7n41RV.png
    Tigliss wrote: »
    (quote tree trimmed)

Does the paint cover the printing line/layers? Because wow, that looks pretty amazing. Always good to see the old Cresent Hawks ride again.

There's still layer lines her and there, but most of them blend in after the primer (Rustoleum flat gray) and the actual paint.

steam_sig.png
    Backlog Challenge List