As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Borderlands] Wonderlands! I Pull Out My Robe and Wizard Gat.

• ED!ED! Registered User regular
    So I'm kinda agreeing with some reviewers who critiqued the game for not going far enough with the D&D bit. Once you get past the character development screen. . .this is just more Borderlands. Which we knew we were going to get, but I wanted a bit more from this. The game is fun and I'm sure the endgame grind rooms will be interesting but there just seems to be so much they could have wrung out of this premise other than just slapping a bit of D&D paint on the game.
    Sterica wrote: »
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    so what happened to the writing in borderlands? i remember 1 and 2 being pretty funny, pre-sequal being meh, 3 being not and this new one is just horribly forced. am i imagining things?
    You are ten years older and realizing Borderlands 2 was never that funny. Hell, Will Arnett is basically doing the same “chatty villain with casual banter” shtick in Wonderlands, and they somehow think Butt Stallion is uproariously funny three games later.

Borderlands writing peaked with Knoxx, as he only gets more relatable as we descend further into an farcical corporate hellscape.

Handsome Jack's "spoon story" remains some of the best shit-post writing in AAA-budget game development. I also played BL2 at an age when I should have "Known better" and it absolutely is still funny to me; in the same way ACE VENTURA (a movie that wouldn't be touched with a ten-thousand foot pole these days and I'm legit shocked you can rent it from major streamers) is still funny with it's bottom of the barrel juvenile humor.

"Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
  • AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    So I didn’t enjoy Borderlands 3 very much - would I enjoy this? What’s peoples thoughts so far on the writing and humour?

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited March 2022
    Aegeri wrote: »
    So I didn’t enjoy Borderlands 3 very much - would I enjoy this? What’s peoples thoughts so far on the writing and humour?

What didn't you like about borderlands 3?

Humor wise this is not full on borderlands 2 or 3 as far as going all in on jokey jokersons.

I will say as someone who grew tired of Tiny Tina's schtick she's more muted in this and I appreciate that.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • KandenKanden Registered User regular
    I do appreciate any game that hides a secret behind a waterfall.

• StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    Game is unplayable tonight as SHIFT died. Also the ps5 version has random freeze-ups which can’t be performance related given they can happen in combat or just while chilling in the overworld.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    edited March 2022
    They need to give the guy who does the Strange B Fatemaker voice a raise.

A wizard on cocaine. Keeps me cracking up.

Dr. Chaos on
    Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • MasterOfPupetsMasterOfPupets Registered User regular
    edited March 2022
    So I'm about 5 hours in (and I'm moving slow with a combination of taking my time and being bad at games in general)

So far I'm really enjoying it. The writing is good and funny to my taste (it's borderlands, but a little less crude than before... Not many jokes about debauchery, etc) but even though I'm enjoying the writing it's not very memorable so far. I can remember laughing at some things, but I can't remember what most of the things I was laughing at were... It's a weird situation...

Gameplay is the same great Borderlands play you got in BL3. It feels great, and spells are fun. The only issues I have there are my usual issues I have with Borderlands, namely the game takes too long to unlock all your gear (I still only have 2 weapon slots) and some guns which on paper should be good just feel bad when using them. Those are expected issues for me though, so all in all I would easily recommend it.

MasterOfPupets on
    XBL = MoP54
    PSN = PessimistMaximus
    camo_sig2.png
    So I'm about 5 hours in (and I'm moving slow with a combination of taking my time and being bad at games in general)

So far I'm really enjoying it. The writing is good and funny to my taste (it's borderlands, but a little less crude than before... Not many jokes about debauchery, etc) but even though I'm enjoying the writing it's not very memorable so far. I can remember laughing at some things, but I can't remember what most of the things I was laughing at were... It's a weird situation...

Gameplay is the same great Borderlands play you got in BL3. It feels great, and spells are fun. The only issues I have there are my usual issues I have with Borderlands, namely the game takes too long to unlock all your gear (I still only have 2 weapon slots) and some guns which on paper should be good just feel bad when using them. Those are expected issues for me though, so all in all I would easily recommend it.

yeah I keep unlocking like gear slots but not a third damn gun.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    I'm having a lot of fun with it but yeah there's some weird tech glitches. they don't detract at all for me personally but i'm sure they'll get fixed

like why are the loading screens at 480p? why does the game consider me loading into a new area as me dying and then charging me a rez fee?

Theres all sorts of weird audio and visual bugs. I had a death defied text stay on screen for 15 minutes.

Also theres a quest gun thats absurdly useful and Im sad I got it so early

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
    Jesus H. Christmas this game is buggy.

ED! wrote: »
    Jesus H. Christmas this game is buggy.

I cant finish the alchemist quest. One rock didnt spawn
    It will haunt me forever

• DacDac Registered User regular
    On PC it's frustrating to try and see your stats. Because there is a pop-up window when I hover over crit to display gun, melee, spell crit, etc., but it's only visible for, like, a frame before disappearing.

Currently level 23. Brrz/Stabbo go brrrrr.

Steam: catseye543
    PSN: ShogunGunshow
    Origin: ShogunGunshow
    Preacher wrote: »

yeah I keep unlocking like gear slots but not a third damn gun.

I randomly got a third at some point but the game never said anything.

Game certainly makes some interesting choices about when you can unlock things.

Class feat should be available the moment you get your first action skill.

Dr. Chaos wrote: »
    Game certainly makes some interesting choices about when you can unlock things.

Class feat should be available the moment you get your first action skill.

Yeah. I actually thought the game was bugged since my lich wasn't following me around.

XBL = MoP54
    PSN = PessimistMaximus
    camo_sig2.png
    Don't even get me started on the third gun slot.

On the upside of things, they start you with a shitload of inventory space compared to past games.

On the other side they fill it with constant cosmetic drops that need to be clicked away.

Dac wrote: »
    On the other side they fill it with constant cosmetic drops that need to be clicked away.

Yep... I swear every fight I think "ooo, maybe I got a decent purple" only to find out it's almost always a cosmetic

XBL = MoP54
    PSN = PessimistMaximus
    camo_sig2.png
    edited March 2022
    I don't mind now but probably going to be an issue later on account of how many cosmetics drop in this compared to past games and how they still drop even if you already unlocked them.

They raised the cash value of them but eh, money is never really an issue in BL.

Dr. Chaos on
    On PC it's frustrating to try and see your stats. Because there is a pop-up window when I hover over crit to display gun, melee, spell crit, etc., but it's only visible for, like, a frame before disappearing.

Currently level 23. Brrz/Stabbo go brrrrr.

Same on console. If you keep trying it'll stick so you can read it. . .but it's random. And the unlocks are wild with some tied to story progression and others to levels. I've been receiving amulets for the past few hours/levels and still haven't unlocked them. I get prompts for a "Right Ring" despite that being unavailable.

The bugs I am getting aren't game breaking, but they are of the "hair in my soup" variety where it just really sours you in the moment.

. . .on the bright side, duping skelly keys still works so if - like me - you like the shooting more than the grinding, you can get yourself a number of keys (just do like I do and be sure to use them all before endgame and do it online so it updates your inventory).

• IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    Are skeleton keys being given out through out of game tweets and such again?

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
    Iolo wrote: »
    Are skeleton keys being given out through out of game tweets and such again?

Yup. Or their discord I guess? Always reposted on Reddit. The two so far:

JBRTT-BZH6F-CC3W5-3TTTB-XB9HH
    B36T3-KSZ6F-K5TKK-JJ3B3-B6B3J

• KandenKanden Registered User regular
    edited March 2022
    I love the pushpin style crossbow pistols on spellshot, 1 shot before reload, but they basically reload as quickly as a normal one would be ready to fire again, just constantly at max spellweave stacks, plus they're pretty powerful in their own rights, 1-3 headshots tend to kill any normal enemy

Kanden on
    Got a legendary.
    A Bradd themed legendary

It uh does things

Specifically it gives you a random staus damage every 8 seconds for a loot increase

Also in more fun news the fucking loot dice? Not account wide. You have to find 256 for every character if you want the full benefits

• StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    Is wonderlands supposed to be on steam as well?

PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
  • Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    nah it's an Epic joint, it won't be on Steam for like a year probably

• BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    edited March 2022
    Stragint wrote: »
    Is wonderlands supposed to be on steam as well?

Not yet. Epic Store exclusive for an unknown timeframe.

They've confirmed it'll come to Steam, but no timetable yet. Previous 2K releases have been 4-6 months minimum.

BlackDragon480 on
    No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
    I will say it was amusing to me story spoiler post the "bard" section.

Mr Torgue literally blows up the ocean.

pleasepaypreacher.net
    Preacher wrote: »
    I will say it was amusing to me story spoiler post the "bard" section.

Mr Torgue literally blows up the ocean.

That was a great moment, yeah.

VIIIIIIBE CHEEEEECK

They've for sure nuked the drop rate on legendaries, however I still have looted a good few. I'm using a COV/Skullduggery assault-rifle with flame elemental that, once it overheats, repairs and fires out three fire wyverns with homing. It is absolutely sweet and I can't see myself replacing git for awhile. I got it from a lootsplosion (Ballad Of Bones - Chapter 6):
    There is a quest to recover some pearls from Chumberlee, the Sea Jerk and commander of a bunch of Seaward's and at the end you get the chance to decide who to return the pearls to. Giving them to Chumberlee causes a boss fight with the quest giver and a subsequent lootsplosion. The alternative just gives the XP and monies.

. . .it also appears they are hotfixing the game pretty quick. The "resurection" fee, not getting the tooltips in menus, etc.

I will also say that the game is the SLOWEST early-game of all the BL games. I was not having fun in the beginning. Once you get to dualclassing though and are actually getting more blues and purples than greens and commons the class and weapon synergy starts to shine. This might be obvious, but I felt more class identity sooner in a regular Borderlands with fixed classes than I have here with its class system.

Got that legendary shotty that fires rain of arrows

It uses 7 ammo per shot.

It kills everything.

Flying enemies continue to annoy the shit out of me.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • akjakakjak Thera Spooky GymRegistered User regular
    How did someone not me change the thread title?

I’m not complaining but, what? Are y’all wizards?!

Switch: SW-4133-1546-2720 (Thera)
    Twitch: akThera
    Steam: Thera
    edited March 2022
    akjak wrote: »
    How did someone not me change the thread title?

I’m not complaining but, what? Are y’all wizards?!

Mods powers are absolute - much like a dungeon master.

I feel @Sterica might know something about this.

Aegeri on
    edited March 2022
    Mother. Juggler. I just hit level 30 and forgot you could teleport back and forth with the "town portal".

ED! on
    edited March 2022
    Raining dual meteors down on the earth.

I have become the red chocobo, destroyer of worlds.

Dr. Chaos on
    So in post game now. Not bothering with chaos runs til I have all the dice and hit the cap but it looks promising.

• RonaldoTheGypsyRonaldoTheGypsy Yes, yes Registered User regular
    I found an orange spell and it just hurls out a gelatinous cube that leaves poison everywhere that explodes. It's pretty great.

I'm spore/wyvern and I have to say wyvern seems a much more effective pet simply because it flies around and attacks and spore has some bad pathing but when he does get out front everything just runs up to him and I just fire explosive weapons into the general area and it all dies. Feels pretty good. Also the capstone skill for the spore tree is just chefs kiss delicious bullet ricochet town.

Melee still seems to be really viable and I want to make a brr-zerker at some point so I can just get a big two hander and baseball bat swing enemies out of the map. Those ice sharks when crit with a melee weapon just cartwheel 50 feet into the sky and I was laughing nonstop at that.

Goblin pickaxe may be the bezt lego for a melee build. It gives you gold its fast as shit and its a crit machine. I only stopped using mine a level 22 at 31 because it was finally getting outpaced

So I am pretty sure I need this game, because it looks funny and I've always enjoyed Borderlands gameplay a lot.

My problem is, I still haven't finished the Western DLC in Borderlands 3 or the last one, Kriegs whatever it is. Will I miss a lot by not bothering with them and just going to Tiny Tina's?