As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[NFL] Thread: Totes!

• Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    lazegamer wrote: »
    Both teams have young qbs on favorable contracts, makes a lot of sense for either of them.

Dolphins don't seem convinced that Tua is their long term prospect.

Jets, even if Wilson is their guy, are so far from ready that sending several high picks to KC and paying a significant amount to lock in Hill, seems like a bad move. According to ESPN, the Jets rank in at least the bottom half in ranking of all position groups except Interior Defensive Line (13th), and Safety (13th). They're simply not a couple players away from contention in their own division, let alone playoff bound.

I get teams need to improve to improve. But spending so much on individual players is unlikely to work. Few teams can manage with a few elite talents and the remainder scrubs. Not everyone needs to be elite, but there needs to be a certain competency at most positions. And the Jets don't have that, and taking on Hill may hinder their ability to improve elsewhere.

And as Gregg Rosenthal (NFL Reporter/Analyst) said in a tweet, "the chiefs not wanting to pay Tyreek Hill again is a hell of a red flag not to pay Tyreek Hill again"

Sometimes circumstances force things. Sometimes the cap is an issue. Sometimes the contract is. Sometimes the scheme fit is. But also, sometimes it's the player.

I get crappy teams have to do something. And this might be what one of those two teams needs. But paying a fortune for free agents or trading for players at significant cost, that don't work out, well... that's something both teams have a history of doing.

• Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    Man if not for the racism around the chants and fan base, the Chiefs could be my new team now

• Options
    maraji wrote: »
    C’mon Browns! Go all in on the villain role!
    Oh.
    Wow.

Dolphins got Hill for 5 picks:
    2022 1st 2nd 4th
    2023 4th 6th

Some of this supposedly came from the Niners trade up for Trey Lance .

Damn. I think that 1st is the 29th pick? So it's not as impressive as it might seem. But that's still a lot for one player's final year, and is arguably better than what the Packers got for Adams.

• Options
    Btw for what it’s worth, Tua is slightly above average among all active QBs thru this many passes in their careers (regression of EPA vs CPOE)

Like in Matt Ryan or Stafford range I think

Herbert and Burrow are in the “HoF” zone among comps, so that’s looking like a superb QB class

The 2 classes preceding were p bad through as many passes as Tua has, though Jackson was on his way to winning MVP anyway (Allen’s emergence hadn’t happened yet)

This last year’s class looks so so bad

• Options
    lazegamerlazegamer The magnanimous cyberspaceRegistered User regular
    MorganV wrote: »
    lazegamer wrote: »
    Both teams have young qbs on favorable contracts, makes a lot of sense for either of them.

Dolphins don't seem convinced that Tua is their long term prospect.

Jets, even if Wilson is their guy, are so far from ready that sending several high picks to KC and paying a significant amount to lock in Hill, seems like a bad move. According to ESPN, the Jets rank in at least the bottom half in ranking of all position groups except Interior Defensive Line (13th), and Safety (13th). They're simply not a couple players away from contention in their own division, let alone playoff bound.

I get teams need to improve to improve. But spending so much on individual players is unlikely to work. Few teams can manage with a few elite talents and the remainder scrubs. Not everyone needs to be elite, but there needs to be a certain competency at most positions. And the Jets don't have that, and taking on Hill may hinder their ability to improve elsewhere.

And as Gregg Rosenthal (NFL Reporter/Analyst) said in a tweet, "the chiefs not wanting to pay Tyreek Hill again is a hell of a red flag not to pay Tyreek Hill again"

Sometimes circumstances force things. Sometimes the cap is an issue. Sometimes the contract is. Sometimes the scheme fit is. But also, sometimes it's the player.

I get crappy teams have to do something. And this might be what one of those two teams needs. But paying a fortune for free agents or trading for players at significant cost, that don't work out, well... that's something both teams have a history of doing.

Dolphins are a lot more in on Tua now that Brian Flores is gone, he really wanted to get Deshaun Watson to Miami.

I would download a car.
  • Options
    Tua is probably decent to good anyway!

He’s better than Mayfield/Darnold/DJ/Haskins(lol)/Lawrence/Wilson/Fields at least

• Options
    RocketSauceRocketSauce Registered User regular
    As a Chiefs fan, I don't hate this. He seems like a very talented douche, and should help free up some money. Hope we can do something with those picks too.

• Options
    mcpmcp Registered User regular
    As a Chiefs fan, I don't hate this. He seems like a very talented douche, and should help free up some money. Hope we can do something with those picks too.
    About 20m this year.

From some people on Twitter this is sounding like Hill and KC were so far apart on a new contract, this was their only real option.

• Options
    marajimaraji Registered User regular
    mcp wrote: »
    About 20m this year.

From some people on Twitter this is sounding like Hill and KC were so far apart on a new contract, this was their only real option.

The Dolphins gave him a four year 140m deal too.

• Options
    Atlas in ChainsAtlas in Chains Registered User regular
    Calling Hill a douche is quite the understatement.

• Options
    XantomasXantomas Registered User regular

Hardman is also really fast, so maybe we can hope he can provide some fraction of the same threat?

• Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    Xantomas wrote: »

Hardman is also really fast, so maybe we can hope he can provide some fraction of the same threat?

Mecole needs to work hard on his route running and timing his jumps to meet the ball at its peak the way Tyreek does, but the potential to be the home run threat on every snap is there.

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    Mahomes <.500 next year
    You can book it

AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
    PailryderPailryder Registered User regular
    you think that because other teams are going to be better or the chiefs are going to be worse. i mean kelce didn't go anywhere...

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    No. That's the number of State Farm commercials he will appear in.

• Options
    Just speaking to his on-field abilities, Tyreek Hill is exceptionally athletic. The jumps he makes at 5'9" and his straight-line speed and maneuverability meant he was damn hard to defend. It also lead to defenses playing us differently and taking him out of the play a lot. Hardman is no Hill. He's got great speed, but he's not going to make the kinds of catches Hill can make. He's a lot smaller than Hill in terms of his frame. Maybe no longer being in Hill's shadow will help him step up, who knows.

My hope is we can bring in some talent to spread the field and have several good receivers rather than one great one. When they took away Kelce and Hill, it was a mixed bag.

• Options
    Just speaking to his on-field abilities, Tyreek Hill is exceptionally athletic. The jumps he makes at 5'9" and his straight-line speed and maneuverability meant he was damn hard to defend. It also lead to defenses playing us differently and taking him out of the play a lot. Hardman is no Hill. He's got great speed, but he's not going to make the kinds of catches Hill can make. He's a lot smaller than Hill in terms of his frame. Maybe no longer being in Hill's shadow will help him step up, who knows.

My hope is we can bring in some talent to spread the field and have several good receivers rather than one great one. When they took away Kelce and Hill, it was a mixed bag.

Yup. Better to have three good threats than one exceptional and two mediocre. The latter gets you some good highlight packages (see Giants with OBJ), but unless the opponent's secondary is garbage, they're gonna be able to cover enough that the team won't be able to convert enough to keep advancing the ball.

It's why I'm so interested to watch the Raiders this year. It was a decent enough offense when they had Jacobs, Renfrow and Waller on the field, they were impressive. Add Davonte Adams to that mix, and unless you've got an exceptional defense, or the Raiders O-Line is trash (granted, they weren't great last year), it's gonna be hard to pick your poison on where to cover.

• Options
    The AFC West is stacked. It may take some time to find the chemistry but I think end of the season is going to be great.

• Options
    Bosa + Mack are going to make life very very difficult for all the newly high-powered Raiders/Broncos offenses, and the probably-still-great KC offense (Andy had a high-powered offense with Alex Smith…)

• Options
    edited March 2022
    The AFC West is stacked. It may take some time to find the chemistry but I think end of the season is going to be great.

"derek carr’s gotta be, by a long shot, the best quarterback ever to be the worst quarterback in his division"
    - Jon Bois is a Youtuber who does deep dives on some truly weird shit, like Chart Party.

He's not wrong. If it wasn't for the Bills and Pats being in the same division, and one AFC West team didn't dominate within the division, I could see a real possibility of all four AFC West teams going to the playoffs.

MorganV on
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    Well, the Broncos are already having a hot season:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a-sDnFJVt80

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular

Those poor bastards lost several of their luxury boxes and half the section immediately in front of them.

~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular

Those poor bastards lost several of their luxury boxes and half the section immediately in front of them.

In-Com-Plete!

• Options
    Now that Cleveland has an adult for a QB, Beckham might be interested in returning.

• Options
    edited March 2022
    Now that Cleveland has an adult for a QB, Beckham might be interested in returning.

Stop it

Edit: well good news is he’s also rumored to be signing with every other team

Captain Inertia on
  • Options
    lol MVS out of green bay to the chiefs
    aaron rodgers is quickly running out of people to throw to

AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
    OMG! Ryan Bates signed his offer sheet with the Bears and it looks like the Bills won't match! The fucking highlight of the off-season is a back up guard with 4 career starts, let's go!

• Options
    edited March 2022
    Unfortunately I think you could craft a line that could give Fields 6 seconds per dropback and he’d find at least one play per drive where he holds it for all of them

Dude was the highest-sacked OSU QB ever despite most of their games being roughly this equivalent scenario

Captain Inertia on
  • Options
    Unfortunately I think you could craft a line that could give Fields 6 seconds per dropback and he’d find at least one play per drive where he holds it for all of them

Dude was the highest-sacked OSU QB ever despite most of their games being roughly this equivalent scenario

Yeah, I don't doubt that, but it's a fixable problem. I just wish he had some talent around him. How do you learn the most difficult position in sports in these conditions?

• Options

Yeah, I don't doubt that, but it's a fixable problem. I just wish he had some talent around him. How do you learn the most difficult position in sports in these conditions?

With a 300lbs man that can run a 4.8 40 living in your colon.

~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    And now the chiefs are going to pick up Ronald Jones
    Wtf is anyone else going to pick up any players

AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
    dlinfiniti wrote: »

They're the Commanders now.

And only bad ones. It's their tradition.
    Yes, I know. I always prefered that spelling over WFT.

• Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    edited March 2022
    dlinfiniti wrote: »
    A lot of teams don’t have the cap space.
    There are 9 teams with a lot of cap space, and the rest of the top free agency talent looks injury prone. Torn ACLs for miles. And I bet the players want lots of guaranteed money. While teams are going to be squeamish about someone who hasn’t played a full season in 4 years.

zepherin on
  • Options
    edited March 2022
    So, the sports turd who broke the Brady to Tampa story is now claiming the possibility that he might be traded to Miami. Gotta drop those turds for clicks and views!

Nobody else is bothering to talk about it, so probably as bullshit as you're thinking.

EDIT:

Dale E Arnold tweeted this afternoon he "wouldn't be surprised" if Tom Brady goes to the Miami Dolphins this season

Dale tells us he is hearing the parties are "working on it"

Remember: Dale was the first to report Brady to Tampa was a done deal

Merloni & Fauria and Arnold are Boston area turds.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    marajimaraji Registered User regular
    edited March 2022
    So, the sports turd who broke the Brady to Tampa story is now claiming the possibility that he might be traded to Miami. Gotta drop those turds for clicks and views!

Nobody else is bothering to talk about it, so probably as bullshit as you're thinking.

EDIT:

Dale E Arnold tweeted this afternoon he "wouldn't be surprised" if Tom Brady goes to the Miami Dolphins this season

Dale tells us he is hearing the parties are "working on it"

Remember: Dale was the first to report Brady to Tampa was a done deal

Merloni & Fauria and Arnold are Boston area turds.

Boston sports radio spent a lot of time talking about Brady to Miami last week. Even the turds came to the consensus that it was a made up story.

——— but what if???!?!!??!

maraji on
  • Options
    H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited March 2022
    What, is Brady just going to become a wandering hired gun for various teams?

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    edited March 2022
    (A theoretical) Brady on the Dolphins makes me feel conflicted. Like, I'm not going to stop being a Dolphins fan, but Fuck Brady.

Sorce on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    H3Knuckles wrote: »

Well. I gotta say if there was any way to prove you were the best it would be to just show up and grace some random ass team with a deep playoff run year after year and then leave for the next team.

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    Goumindong wrote: »
    H3Knuckles wrote: »

Well. I gotta say if there was any way to prove you were the best it would be to just show up and grace some random ass team with a deep playoff run year after year and then leave for the next team.

You don't have to go home, but you can't stay here!

• Options
    Miami’s roster is perfectly designed to win 5 games, that’s made up BS