As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Borderlands] Wonderlands! I Pull Out My Robe and Wizard Gat.

• IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    Aegeri wrote: »
    So I am pretty sure I need this game, because it looks funny and I've always enjoyed Borderlands gameplay a lot.

My problem is, I still haven't finished the Western DLC in Borderlands 3 or the last one, Kriegs whatever it is. Will I miss a lot by not bothering with them and just going to Tiny Tina's?

Not unless Borderlands completionism is important to you.

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    Iolo wrote: »
    So I am pretty sure I need this game, because it looks funny and I've always enjoyed Borderlands gameplay a lot.

My problem is, I still haven't finished the Western DLC in Borderlands 3 or the last one, Kriegs whatever it is. Will I miss a lot by not bothering with them and just going to Tiny Tina's?

I really don’t give much of a shit about Borderlands 3 except that I spent money on that content.

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    edited March 2022
    Iolo wrote: »

I really don’t give much of a shit about Borderlands 3 except that I spent money on that content.

I'd say at least do the Krieg's Fustercluck on Normal/non-Mayhem if you liked him in 2 and also were into a little more Maya, whereas Bounty of Blood is quite skipable outside of a couple of top tier legendaries (mainly Unkempt Harold).

BlackDragon480 on
    No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • DacDac Registered User regular
    There's pretty much no connective tissue between those games and TTW other than the fact that Tina is there, and there's nothing stopping you from going back to BL3 at a later date.

Steam: catseye543
    PSN: ShogunGunshow
    Origin: ShogunGunshow
  • King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Wonderlands seems to take place sometime immediately after 2 so it wont ruin anything.

I do wonder where Fret and Valentine went though

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
    The unique guns in this game may be the best since 2.

• Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    edited March 2022
    Fustercluck is some nice character resolution for Kreig if you're a fan of him.

Other than that though, its nothing special. The premise sounds more fun than it actually is as far as the stages and enemy designs go.

Bounty of Blood is probably the best and most interesting of the BL3 DLC set. Its very different in tone and style from the rest of the game and Rose is awesome (even if I wish they had just contrived a way to bring back Nisha instead and give her a better ending).
    I do wonder where Fret and Valentine went though
    I think Frette and Valentine are just some people Tina knows, They're not vault hunters or Crimson Raiders as far as we know.

Dr. Chaos on
    Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Goblin pickaxe may be the bezt lego for a melee build. It gives you gold its fast as shit and its a crit machine. I only stopped using mine a level 22 at 31 because it was finally getting outpaced

I'm legit still using mine as a spore warden just for the amplify shot. Don't even care about damage, it soups up my shooty shoots.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    Hope they work out all the little (and not so little) bugs. Couldn't switch to online play from LAN last night (Network Error), playing over LAN will also disconnect us when their servers hiccup it seems for some reason, tooltips for Hero Stats don't display properly.

Digging the spells, though. Was going to go full Spellshot->Graveborn, but now noticed the Graveborn capstone so will transition over to GB soon as I can and get that instead. At the moment I kind of missed Mage Armor and picked up Glass Cannon first. Whoopsie!

edited March 2022
    Spellshot is busted as hell. Mega powerful stuff almost right from the get go.

Playing on Intense, have a hard time deciding between continuing my Brrzerker or Spellshot. I like the tankiness of Zerker but it feels like it takes a long time for the melee/frost stuff to really come online.

Dr. Chaos on
    Are you ever locked out of side quests? Want to get to the multiclassing, but don't want to lock out any side quests.

edited March 2022
    Xeddicus wrote: »
    Are you ever locked out of side quests? Want to get to the multiclassing, but don't want to lock out any side quests.
    I don't think Borderlands has ever done that, no.

Dr. Chaos on
  • KandenKanden Registered User regular
    edited March 2022
    I think the lucky dies might be based on a world state type deal. I played a lot single player and have like a 2x multiplier on my loot luck from does I've hit, was finally able to get into a co-op game with that same character and all of the dice appear to be back and my multiplier is gone. Seems like that should be on a per character basis

Kanden on
    Got another yellow to replace my pick axe. A torgue sword that has like a zelda beam when you swing it that puts explosives on enemies and it too has amp shot.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    Dac wrote: »
    There's pretty much no connective tissue between those games and TTW other than the fact that Tina is there, and there's nothing stopping you from going back to BL3 at a later date.

The thing stopping me going back to Borderlands 3 is itself Borderlands 3.

I am really excited about Tina's and once my partner and I are finished Divinity 2, I will definitely be getting this to play with her. Plus maybe some of the bugs on PS5 will be fixed by then :D

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
  • MasterOfPupetsMasterOfPupets Registered User regular
    I'm level 15 and still only have 2 gun slots... I think I need to stop doing side missions and actually work on the main quest...

XBL = MoP54
    PSN = PessimistMaximus
    camo_sig2.png
    edited March 2022
    It is so fucking frustrating that lost loot kiosks don't spray the items out in a wider pattern.

Like motherfucker some of that I didn't pick up for a reason. Now I have to pick that fucking shit up just to see the thing I wanted to check. smh

Dry'l is a motherfucker on Chaos. Holy shit that phase 2 where he's constantly healing is fucking annoying.

e: Like okay part of the issue is that I'm a Frost-shivver so melee attacks are kind of my thing and he makes it really hard to do that, but still. Eventually had to swap out my action skill to the spinning buzzsaw to overcome his regeneration.

Dac on
    I'm level 15 and still only have 2 gun slots... I think I need to stop doing side missions and actually work on the main quest...

This was me, like I didn't get my 4th gun slot till I was like level 33?

Also drop rates seem decentish? I hit 40 and did one side quest and got two legendary drops. What helps is leggos can have a lot more random ness so hopefully they use that.

pleasepaypreacher.net
    Unlocks being tied to main story progress and not level is always weird ngl

Especially since level scaling means you can get quite high level without some unlocks. Or maybe just don't have slots locked at all.

Honestly though I'm enjoying Tiny Tina's enough I'll probably not get the next borderlands but I'll get the next tiny tinas, because I know things like character creation, random battles, and the world map etc won't be in the next bl

pleasepaypreacher.net
    TTW is a bunch of spaghetti thrown at the wall, so we'll see what sticks. But yeah, I can say I enjoy the gameplay changes a lot.

• PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    edited March 2022
    Honestly, with Lost Loot Kiosks, I'd be okay with it if instead of spraying the loot on the floor, you interact with it and it brings up a UI element ala a store where you can choose to either take the item into your inventory or just vendor it on the spot.

I wouldn't be surprised if there was some spaghetti code requiring them to vomit on the floor though.

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
    PMAvers wrote: »
    Honestly, with Lost Loot Kiosks, I'd be okay with it if instead of spraying the loot on the floor, you interact with it and it brings up a UI element ala a store where you can choose to either take the item into your inventory or just vendor it on the spot.

I wouldn't be surprised if there was some spaghetti code requiring them to vomit on the floor though.

I noticed the loot spill is more controlled now for a boss. Its like a little arc instead of dropping from a mile up

Preacher wrote: »

This was me, like I didn't get my 4th gun slot till I was like level 33?

Also drop rates seem decentish? I hit 40 and did one side quest and got two legendary drops. What helps is leggos can have a lot more random ness so hopefully they use that.

Yeah. I'm gonna just do main quests until I unlock all the gear slots from here on out, then come back and do side quests. When I detoured into Mount Craw I wasn't expecting a full sized zone of nothing but side quests. Leveled me up a bunch, but the boss was easy and dropped my first legendary, so not a bad time at all.

XBL = MoP54
    PSN = PessimistMaximus
    camo_sig2.png
  • KandenKanden Registered User regular
    Spoilers for when you get the last gear slot unlocked.
    You don't unlock the 2nd ring slot until after completely beating the game.

• ED!ED! Registered User regular
    Beat the game. Cute campaign that they could have done a lot more with (or simply done it better) if this wasn't a "Remote work from home" AAA game release (which they basically confirm in the credits). In terms of narrative, they honestly should have just gone full "Matrix" with how this was implemented. Instead we go the Lego Movie route, which works but isn't the best way to tell this story if you ask me.

Should have been that Tina installs Bunkers & Badasses on the Sanctuary computer system and inside is a rogue AI (the Dragonlord) that essentially follows the main campaign but makes more sense. The AI threatens to crash the ship if Tina and the rest of the crew don't join in and beat the AI. . .within B&B. Basically combine "Advanced Dungeons & Dragons" and "Digital Estate Planning" episodes of COMMUNITY into this game. As is, the meta part of the game just doesn't feel great or fleshed out (which, again, makes sense given this was COVID remote-work developed).

. . .also, this is absolutely the SHORTEST Borderlands campaign by far. Which isn't bad given how by the numbers they did this story, but it definitely feels like stuff was missing.

The Chaos Dungeons (the current end-game) are decent enough, but there's no way I can see this being as good as traditional post-game modes in other Borderlands (Mayhem mode for example). The worst thing about these though is that it is just the open-world encounters with enemies you might not have seen before (I know I'm seeing a few new ones; maybe they were tucked behind the other sidequests). Speaking of enemies, the enemy variety and encounter designs themselves are a decided step back from the mainline games. You were always fighting in arenas with Borderlands, but in TTW this is far more evident. The areas themselves also kind of feel not "alive." Odd word I know but for some reason the worlds of BL1/2/3 felt like things were happening. Here, things only happen on a trigger (enemies are rarely just idling about).

End of the day, decent game that I shouldn't have bought at full price especially with the JV level of bugs that are in the game.

"Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
  • cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    It is, but I kinda like it. Means you can rush for unlocks a bit faster, and helps me push down the feeling that I have to do every sidequest before moving on with the main story.

• LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    Are the Lucky Dice account-wide? If I find most/all of the Lucky dice on my first character/main, will my alts reap the benefit of that +Luck stat? Or will I have to re-find the Lucky Dice on every character. God I only hope I have to do this once. It's a fantastic system to do one time. But it needs to be account-wide.

Quick search suggests that are NOT account wide.

I will say the T rating helps the writing in this. Its less shouting random swear words and more trying to be funny.

pleasepaypreacher.net
    Also spells are fucking awesome, the variety and unique effects are great. I had one unique that was basically a fire and ice tornado that gathered enemies up. But my current favorite is a flame thrower that does high fire damage and then fucking explodes. Bye bye small groups of dick hole enemies.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    My favorite so far is an ice meteor that breaks into smaller meteor chunks on impact. Too bad it's only level 8. I finally replaced it. (I'm 16 now).

• RonaldoTheGypsyRonaldoTheGypsy Yes, yes Registered User regular
    edited March 2022
    Also spells are fucking awesome, the variety and unique effects are great. I had one unique that was basically a fire and ice tornado that gathered enemies up. But my current favorite is a flame thrower that does high fire damage and then fucking explodes. Bye bye small groups of dick hole enemies.

I really love spells over grenades, I do not feel bad about firing them on CD as long as I am in combat because they're a huge asset, and they feel varied enough

man someone needs to take this concept and really go full fantasy with it and not just borderlands pretend fantasy

where's the HOMM coop looter rpg

RonaldoTheGypsy on
    I will say the T rating helps the writing in this. Its less shouting random swear words and more trying to be funny.

I don't mind the rating except in Torgue's case. Their censoring of the dialog was annoying, not funny

XBL = MoP54
    PSN = PessimistMaximus
    camo_sig2.png

I don't mind the rating except in Torgue's case. Their censoring of the dialog was annoying, not funny

It was a little dumb, I think they should have just had him saying safer things not getting blipped.

pleasepaypreacher.net
    I will say after I didn't I'd wait on doing the side quest with "pirate court" (you'll know it when you're on it) because the reward for me has been a god damn work horse even with it being 5 levels under 40.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • RonaldoTheGypsyRonaldoTheGypsy Yes, yes Registered User regular
    I'll say this:

With a 3090 and a 10900k I can surely play this game at whatever settings I want, but:

When I set the custom limit of the fps to 144 the game made my computer pretty hot, a nice 70-something celsius, not unmanageable but I am not used to it going that hard.

When I set the custom limit of the fps to 60 my computer was about as hot as those fries you get when they've been sitting in the heat lamp for a while and they are definitely not fresh.

Welp Ive confirmed my game is bugged I have all the overworld dice. Ive triple checked and its saying Im missing one.
    This is really annoying as Im 40 now

They need to fix all these little bugs. Stuff like that, UI bugs, seems Tina likes announcing shrine pieces too much over and over, gear slots being unlocked but not until you zone, etc.

Mars the otherwise pretty good everything else. Except the T rating in my opinion. It just makes stuff like Torque sound dumb, the writing wouldn't be worse or better because they can't say naughty words.