As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Blood Bowl] Triple Skulls Every Time

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    edited March 2022
    Nobility thrower is 75k for 6/3+/3+/9+, pass, running pass, so for 20k the valk would get 2 skills and exchange 1 movement for 1 armour.

100k would feel better, I think, just because dauntless, Strip Ball is already a pretty good skill combination and movement is better than the armour I would say. Also the valk has an agility skill, a passing skill, two general skills. I don't think a spread like that over 3 categories is a common thing in BB.

A old world alliance thrower looks even worse in comparison.

Other rumours are that the boar has snotling stats and has a special skill that lets nearby players get up faster, and that at least the linemen have drunkard negatrait that gives -1 to Rush.

Feels like quite the departure of BB rules writing style and a bit nuGW to pile custom skills on a team instead of working with the universal skills and traits from the rulebook.

honovere on
  • Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    Curious. He seems to be a Secret Weapon kind of player, only it’s a one-shot and he doesn’t actually get sent off for it. I wonder how good his stats are otherwise?
    That said a 3+ to knock down a Troll from three squares away with no retaliation is quite tempting… especially for an ogre-less human team.

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    At least he can't move beforehand.

• Options
    honovere wrote: »

Yeah but this is the kind of thing you set up for at the beginning of the drive. I wonder if people would avoid sticking big guys nearby if you placed him first?

• Options
    Mr_Rose wrote: »

Yeah but this is the kind of thing you set up for at the beginning of the drive. I wonder if people would avoid sticking big guys nearby if you placed him first?

Prime target for a waaagh drummer.
    Speaking of, I might actually get some inducements for my next two games. First against elves, it's either a bribe, bomber Dribblesnot, or a drummer, I think. Bribe is probably the most useful, but Dribblesnot looks like fun...

• Options
    Dribblesnot is fantastic!
    First bomb killed a lineelf and badly hurt a thrower. Also 2 KOs and a stunned blackorc.

Won 3:1 after a turn 16 throw team mate otd on defense. Kickoff landed in the corner of the pitch, elves couldn't reach it and the little bruiser was thrown halfway there, stuck the landing, dodged through 4 tackle zones, rushed into the endzone and managed to pick up the ball in a tackle zone. Without using any rerolls.

I think my opponent had enough after that game.

• Options
    edited April 2022
    cy47STOOYi77FeM8.jpg
    Strong, fast, and agile, Eriksson is the complete package. He’s a dashing Blitzer who can Block, Tackle, and Guard, adding crucial punch and muscle to the Norscans’ already mighty front line. And with his infectious grin and flowing blonde locks, he’s perhaps one of the more aesthetically pleasing star players to grace Nuffle’s sacred gridiron.*

96AtUQ4X0FRdQkQu.jpg

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2022/04/04/blood-bowl-fans-meet-ivar-eriksson-norscas-less-dressed-answer-to-griff-oberwald/

edit: ugh, triple post. sorry

gah, the position of the chest scar in combination with the piercing is making me squirm.

honovere on
  • Options
    Block, tackle, guard is mean. He’s basically a dwarf at that point.

Slightly perplexed by his special rule though; if he has to choose an Open player and they only move one square, isn’t ignoring tackle zones redundant? Open players are by definition not in a TZ and you don’t have to test for anything to move into a TZ, just to leave, and moving one square from outside a TZ can’t get you into then out of a TZ under any circumstances?

• Options
    tzeentchlingtzeentchling Doctor of Rocks OaklandRegistered User regular
    It is odd, but maybe there will be a Skill in the future that causes a check when entering a tackle zone. It's a weird way of future proofing it, in an optimistic sense.

• Options
    Dann, there's even a third star player! And it's a hipster yhetee
    16H1VWpJqHpLvzW3.jpg

He carries his beard grooming kit with him
    https://www.warhammer-community.com/2022/04/10/sunday-preview-beer-brutality-and-blood-bowl/

And one of the balls is Thor's goddamn Hammer.

Pre-order next week.

• Options
    [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    How else was he going to maintain that fabulous beard?

Sic transit gloria mundi.
  • Options
    I want to mod him to be taking a selfie.

• Options
    edited April 2022
    Rumbelow Sheepskin has been spotted!

925dnbs7jmq3.jpeg
    Took long enough.

Mr_Rose on
  • Options
    [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    How did they get that helmet on the ram's head?

• Options
    edited April 2022
    https://www.warhammer-community.com/2022/04/12/raid-the-blood-bowl-pitch-with-the-boozy-new-norse-team-rules/?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=blood-bowl&utm_content=norse-team

linemen get -1 to rush but also thick skull
    valkyries have pass, catch, dauntless, strip ball
    beer boar:
    rpjkYOfloIQ7Webf.jpg

considering that that fits with this post on fumbbl from last week, I guess the rest of the info in there is also correct:
    So what we know of the new Norse team right now:

0-16 Linemen/Linewomen: 50k 6, 3, 3+, 4+, 8+ Block, Drunkard, Thick Skull. G/SPA

0-2 Beer Boars 20k 5, 3, 3+, -, 6+ Dodge, No Hands, Pick Me Up, Stunty, Titchy. No Primary access/A

0-2 Ulfwerners 105k 6, 4, 4+, -, 9+ Frenzy. GS/A

0-2 Norse Berserkers 90k 6, 3, 3+, 5+, 8+ Block, Frenzy, Jump Up. GS/AP

0-2 Valkyrie 95k 7, 3, 3+,3+, 8+ Catch, Dauntless, Pass, Strip Ball. AGP/S

0-1 Yheti 140k 5, 5, 4+, -, 9+ Claws, Disturbing Presence, Loner(4+) , Frenzy, Unchanneled Fury. S/AG

Old World Classic and Favoured of either Khorne or Chaos Undivided, can have apoth, Rerolls 60k.

Drunkard seems to mean -1 on Rushes.

The valks seem pretty damn good for that cost! Absolute nightmare for teams that don't have sure hands ball carriers.
    Like, for 10k more than a human blitzer, they are +1 passing, 1-armour, +3 skills. And those skills and skill access cover 3 skill trees! And they pretty good skills, not niche like grab and brawler on a BO for example.

Nobility Blitzer is 10k more, doesn't get primary P access and has 2 skills fewer (less?). Seems like the rules writers cost block a level above every other skill. Like most starting skills get priced at 5k, while block between is 10k and 20k.

(For a 4-skills player that costs 95k there's the troll slayer. with -2 movement, -1 agility, -4 passing, +1 armour.)

honovere on
  • Options
    Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    I wasn't particularly interested in the Norse Team but the Yhetee (the regular one, not that I don't love the star player too) is such a cool model IMO.

I really hope Chaos Dwarfs are next.

Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • Options
    Just found a copy of Blitz Bowl at my local Barnes & Noble for 75% off! Why yes I'll take 12 minis, dice, board, and cards for $12.50.

• Options
    R-demR-dem Registered User regular
    Oh crap a Blood Bowl thread! I love Blood Bowl. I love Blood Bowl so much that I have sitting before me an assembled and primed Kroxigor, who U have decided is named Roxie, whom the team affectionately calles Big Roo, who when she fails her Bone-Head check it's because she's picking dandelions.

Blood Bowl is the best.

• Options
    Oh yeah, Rumbelow Sheepskin went on preorder yesterday, so go get ‘im!

• Options
    Just won my leagues' inaugural championship! 4-1 victory for my Dark Elves over my opponent's High Elves. Also caused an insane 6 casualties in the game, 4 of which came from a single Blitzer!

• Options
    Hypothetical question time:

I'm preparing for a 1200 TV tournament with my Dark Elves. 4 Blitzers, 2 Witch Elves, a Runner, 5 Linemen, and 2 rerolls comes to 1150. I can either take a third reroll, an apothecary, or a permanent Bloodweiser Babe with the last 50k.

This is an "eternal" tournament so deaths and injuries are reset after each match. I also get to add skills to players to start (two with 3 primary, two with 2 primary, and two with 1 primary) and will add skills as the tournament goes on. Given this, what is the best thing to spend that last 50k on?

Like, eventually I can give a runner Leader for the 3rd reroll, so I may not need to buy it at the start, but that's a skill that could be Kick or Sneaky Git on a lineman, which is where I would prefer to put single skills as the tournament goes on. Obviously the Blitzers/Witch Elves are getting the first 6 skills, most of which will be some combination of Block/Wrestle (WE) or Dodge (B) but also things like Tackle, Strip Ball, or Sidestep, maybe a cheeky Dauntless. But Av9+ isn't unbreakable, let alone the 8+ on the Runner/WE, so something that helps players get back could be really valuable too, and Elves are usually capable of dealing fine with only two rerolls.

• Options
    jakobaggerjakobagger LO THY DREAD EMPIRE CHAOS IS RESTORED Registered User regular
    Hypothetical question time:

I'm preparing for a 1200 TV tournament with my Dark Elves. 4 Blitzers, 2 Witch Elves, a Runner, 5 Linemen, and 2 rerolls comes to 1150. I can either take a third reroll, an apothecary, or a permanent Bloodweiser Babe with the last 50k.

This is an "eternal" tournament so deaths and injuries are reset after each match. I also get to add skills to players to start (two with 3 primary, two with 2 primary, and two with 1 primary) and will add skills as the tournament goes on. Given this, what is the best thing to spend that last 50k on?

Like, eventually I can give a runner Leader for the 3rd reroll, so I may not need to buy it at the start, but that's a skill that could be Kick or Sneaky Git on a lineman, which is where I would prefer to put single skills as the tournament goes on. Obviously the Blitzers/Witch Elves are getting the first 6 skills, most of which will be some combination of Block/Wrestle (WE) or Dodge (B) but also things like Tackle, Strip Ball, or Sidestep, maybe a cheeky Dauntless. But Av9+ isn't unbreakable, let alone the 8+ on the Runner/WE, so something that helps players get back could be really valuable too, and Elves are usually capable of dealing fine with only two rerolls.

I vote re-roll.

• Options
    edited May 2022
    With the ability to use several rerolls in single turn in the 2020 rules, an extra reroll got more useful to pull off those nasty elf stuff turns.

Unrelated, we should be getting the next FAQ next week. Probably not as much new stuff as the last one I would guess. Maybe more for dungeon bowl, maybe even how for example Norse fit into the different teams.

honovere on
  • Options
    TastyfishTastyfish Registered User regular
    That's in their Spike. Beer Boars and Ulfenweres are Beasts, linemen, berserker and Valkyrie are in Heavens.

Pigs are a nice cheap choice for a pricy team with beasts and Heavens is really grateful for all that Block

• Options
    Lost my Playoff game. One of those games where nothing really works, while your opponent succeeds with every single dodge role.
    Exception: my troll caught a kick off and wandered into the endzone. Still lost 3:1 but that was fun

• Options
    edited May 2022
    New Errata is up

https://www.warhammer-community.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/11/MnBHGU164Kn1dSer.pdf

Thrown player that lands in a occupied square now causes a turnover. Facepalm what?

All mages are now played at the end of either player's turn.

Barik finally gets cannoneer instead of strong arm.

A bunch of clarifications what rerolls can be used for.

Edit: that ttm turnover thing is a big and inconsistent nerf for stunty teams

honovere on
  • Options
    The errata for Scyla also has him able to use the non-existent “Fury” skill.

• Options
    Errata needs an errata.

Probably mixed up fury and frenzy?

• Options
    EspantaPajaroEspantaPajaro Registered User regular
    Why would you make black orcs chucking goblins even worse….

• Options
    edited May 2022
    Yeah. That sucks. And should at least be an actual errata and not an FAQ. It's a rule change.

The change to wizards is a big nerf for the firebelly I think. No more obliterating the line of scrimmage at the start of a drive

Edit
    Haha, the reactions to the ttm thing are pretty one-sided, just taking a quick look at #bloodbowl on the Twitter

honovere on
  • Options
    Is it a rule change though? Falling over is a turnover per p.27 and I don’t see where TTM says otherwise?

• Options
    edited May 2022
    Doesn't it say active player?

Edit:
    Page 27 says falling over can only happen with a player during its own activation. It is also a turnover.

Page 54, landing says the player falls over like on page 27 and a turnover is caused if the player has the ball, otherwise not.

Page 54, landing in an occupied square says the player falls over like p27 but doesn't mention turnover at all.

So far everyone I know interpreted page 27 and 54 so that falling over only happens when the player is falling over during its activation.

Maybe GW then should say the player is knocked down instead, because p27 knocked down says a turn over happens anytime a player on the active team is knocked down.

Or GW should say that a player that doesn't make its landing is placed prone and makes an armour roll. Like with bombs.

Or GW should delete the sentence on page 27 that falling over can only happen during a player's activation.

Either way would get the same result and would be internally consistent. With the FAQ like it is know it's just confusing what falling over means generally for turnovers.

They chose the worst way to answer the question. It's inconsistent and also needs mostly weak teams.

honovere on
  • Options
    I see what you mean. The thrown player can’t be the active one. Of course that means they can’t fall over either so TTM has just never worked, RAW.

• Options
    edited May 2022
    I think we'll just house rule it to be the way it was pre-FAQ.

Edit: The TTM thing.

[Expletive deleted] on
  • Options
    The change to wizards is a big nerf for the firebelly I think. No more obliterating the line of scrimmage at the start of a drive

This one is probably a good thing at least. That particular spell (was there a lightning version too? Skaven Guy? Whatever) was just busted when you could consistently hit 5-6 players with zero risk to your own where most spells hit 1-2 or risked accidentally hitting your own team.

• Options
    Yeah, firebelly was way better than a normal wizard

• Options
    If a player uses the Pile Driver skill, do they risk getting Sent Off?

(I would think, so, but the wording is slightly ambiguous.)

• Options
    Pile driver basically just allows you to make a foul action after a block action, so yes. I wish it was an additional foul action instead of the one you're allowed per turn.

I wish the skills in particular could get a bit of a review and rework someday. Some are just way better than the rest (looking at you, Block) while others are just so bad. Passing skills in particular need a major overhaul I think.

• Options
    Pile driver basically just allows you to make a foul action after a block action, so yes. I wish it was an additional foul action instead of the one you're allowed per turn.

I wish the skills in particular could get a bit of a review and rework someday. Some are just way better than the rest (looking at you, Block) while others are just so bad. Passing skills in particular need a major overhaul I think.

Personally, I'm pissed off about Strong Arm, which as far as I can tell does next to nothing. (+1 to Pass test when throwing a team mate is pretty pointless since the little bugger's gonna go sailing through the air on anything other than a natural 1, anyway. The slightly better chance at landing alive seems negligible.)