As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Movies]: Violence Edition

BogartBogart Streetwise HerculesRegistered User, Moderator mod
edited October 2022 in Debate and/or Discourse
Will Smith slapped Chris Rock. Select your take.

ElJeffe on

[Movies]: Violence Edition 118 votes

Violence whenever someone says something we don't like is good.
11%
nexuscrawlerMunkus BeaverRear Admiral ChocotyrannusTehSpectreDemonStaceySmaug6101OmnomnomPancakefurlionmysticjuicertinwhiskersdiscriderasofyeun 14 votes
Mocking people with disabilities or conditions is good.
6%
TexiKenPailryderLocal H JayevilthecatlazegamerAbdhyiusdaveNYCKana 8 votes
It was all a conspiracy between Hollywood elites to get people talking about the Oscars.
9%
see317Beyond NormalGyralGnome-InterruptusXandarTicaldfjamcardboard delusionsNosfzepherinMuzzmuzzIlpala 11 votes
I have no take, unlike the rest of you stupid peasants, you disordered rabble, you celebrity-obsessed rubes.
31%
LegacyMulletudeA duck!MulysaSemproniusGimflamebroiledchickenDarklyreVishNubTychoCelchuuuP10shrykejungleroomxTarantioCapt HowdyshorttiminMatevBurnageCristovalmanwiththemachinegunzekebeau 37 votes
I'm not a racist but [racism].
5%
DocZeroCowHonkThawmusSchadenfreudeTenzytile 6 votes
Can't believe people are talking about this while the [bad thing elsewhere] is still ongoing. This makes you trivial and me wise.
14%
AegeriPreacherMagic PinkXeddicusAimZekTcheldorKruiteCoinageBloodySlothKoopahTroopahtzeentchlingDark Raven XTorgaironSnicketysnickDonnictonGiantGeek2020 17 votes
This whole thing just goes to show something I said earlier, and I will now make the convoluted and unconvincing case why.
21%
reVerseDiannaoChongTheBlackWindElJeffemcdermottFANTOMASAbsoluteZeroGoumindongAridholRhesus PositiveA Dabble Of TheloniusBlackDragon480Hahnsoo1SomestickguyKipling217JokermanCptHamiltonOldSlackerRT800Elvenshae 25 votes

• Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    edited March 2022
    why can I only pick one poll option when so many are correct

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    I've turned around and think the whole show was staged. It's the only way to explain Jessica Chastain.

PSN: Honkalot
  • Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    This whole thing just goes to show something I said earlier, and I will now make the convoluted and unconvincing case why.
    This is why I only make fun of people with medical issues behind their backs and the backs of anybody who might love them

It's called empathy, people

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    I just discovered that Snyder fans piled in on the 'public vote' awards and Justice League and his zombie movie won them both. Their absolute devotion to everything he does and the continuing insistence that he is the sole genius of cinema is incredible.

The other day I saw someone insisting that he invented the idea of shooting just someone's legs as they were walking.

• Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    Bogart wrote: »
    I just discovered that Snyder fans piled in on the 'public vote' awards and Justice League and his zombie movie won them both. Their absolute devotion to everything he does and the continuing insistence that he is the sole genius of cinema is incredible.

The other day I saw someone insisting that he invented the idea of shooting just someone's legs as they were walking.

https://twitter.com/afraidofwasps/status /1177301482464526337

Reminds me of that tweet that defended the Potter books as the first time an author tackled the subject of class inequality

• Options
    evilthecatevilthecat Registered User regular
    why does that poll not have the only correct answer as an option?

tip.. tip.. TALLY.. HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
  • Options
    KasynKasyn I'm not saying I don't like our chances. She called me the master.Registered User regular
    Can I write in "lizard person civil war" or does that fall under the Hollywood elites conspiracy selection?

• Options
    Kipling217Kipling217 Registered User regular
    I was waiting for my computer to do a thing. So I decided since I had a bit of time to kill, I should watch the first 10 minutes of Encanto, you know just to get a feel for the movie and see if I wanted to watch it later.

Spoiler: I didn't watch just 10 minutes of Encanto.

The sky was full of stars, every star an exploding ship. One of ours.
  • Options
    RT800RT800 Registered User regular
    This all just goes to show why theaters are shit and should be eliminated.

If there were no theaters, there'd be no Oscars.

Because where would they hold them? IN A BARN? I think not.

• Options
    TheBlackWindTheBlackWind Registered User regular
    I can still see No Way Home at my local AMC and not Everything, Everywhere, All at Once.

Theaters are already dead.

PAD ID - 328,762,218
  • Options
    JokermanJokerman Everything EverywhereRegistered User regular
    We just had a decent theater (The kind with the nice seats) built in town and I'm so excited.

I just can't hide it.

• Options
    JokermanJokerman Everything EverywhereRegistered User regular
    I really missed the experience of the dark room with the big screen and no distractions. It's a premium delight.

• Options
    FANTOMASFANTOMAS Flan ArgentavisRegistered User regular
    I can still see No Way Home at my local AMC and not Everything, Everywhere, All at Once.

Theaters are already dead.

No way home, maybe wasnt the worst spiderman, it was definitely the one that disapointed me the most.

Yes, with a quick verbal "boom." You take a man's peko, you deny him his dab, all that is left is to rise up and tear down the walls of Jericho with a ".....not!" -TexiKen
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    Jokerman wrote: »
    We just had a decent theater (The kind with the nice seats) built in town and I'm so excited.

I just can't hide it.

I think I'm the only person on the planet who hates recliner seats. I miss the old ones.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    For those of you who don’t miss physical media, AppleTV has an ENORMOUS sale on today of $5 movies

Lots of comedies, Edgar Wright, Armando Ianucci, 80s flicks . . . easily over 100 films in this sale. I probably bought 20 or more. It’s nuts.

• Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    Also, Best Animated Feature continues to be a joke as the film that should have won (and won the awards where the people voting actually respect the medium) lost to This Year's Disney/Pixar/DreamWorks Film for the same stupid reason that the Academy continues to allow the full Academy to vote on the award, even when a good portion holds animation in contempt.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    I have a hard time feeling like the Oscars is anything but a bunch of rich people jerking each other off.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    FANTOMASFANTOMAS Flan ArgentavisRegistered User regular
    I have a hard time feeling like the Oscars is anything but a bunch of rich people jerking each other off.

and beating eachother up

Yes, with a quick verbal "boom." You take a man's peko, you deny him his dab, all that is left is to rise up and tear down the walls of Jericho with a ".....not!" -TexiKen
  • Options

The money it brings in goes to fund the Academy's preservation, archival, and education activities, and that's not nothing. But there is a lot of grade A gooseshit that happens with the awards. Best Animated Feature is just one of the most notorious because of how it gets treated.

• Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    Also, Best Animated Feature continues to be a joke as the film that should have won (and won the awards where the people voting actually respect the medium) lost to This Year's Disney/Pixar/DreamWorks Film for the same stupid reason that the Academy continues to allow the full Academy to vote on the award, even when a good portion holds animation in contempt.

What should have won and what did it lose to? I have no desire to ever watch the Oscars or anything, but curious about your thoughts

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    kime wrote: »

What should have won and what did it lose to? I have no desire to ever watch the Oscars or anything, but curious about your thoughts

Encanto won, The Mitchells vs. The Machines should have.

• Options
    I didn't think The Mitchells vs The Machines what that much better than everything else, but I'm apparently in the minority on this.
    I should probably watch it again but I walked away thinking it was kind of a mess and not in the jubilant way it was going for.

I like to ART
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    The real answer is Words Bubble Up Like Soda Pop.

• Options
    Doodmann wrote: »
    I didn't think The Mitchells vs The Machines what that much better than everything else, but I'm apparently in the minority on this.
    I should probably watch it again but I walked away thinking it was kind of a mess and not in the jubilant way it was going for.

To me, it felt like the creators embraced the actual messiness of life, as opposed to the controlled chaos you get in your usual major studio fare.

• Options
    ZavianZavian universal peace sounds better than forever war Registered User regular
    oh god am I actually going to sub to Apple TV just for CODA

damn you steve jobs

• Options
    NosfNosf Registered User regular
    It was all a conspiracy between Hollywood elites to get people talking about the Oscars.
    Everyone loves a 3 to 4 hour self congratulatory advertisement.

I watched John Wick 3 last night and it bugged me that he travels around the world for a thing and loses a finger so he can come back and immediately change his mind about the thing.

Death on the Nile in a day or two on D+, I hear they changed the final act and Armie Hammer devours everyone but chokes to death on Poirot's moustache. I am mainly watching it for said moustache.

• Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    BLGTqtU.jpg

From George Lucas' 50th birthday in '94; Clint Howard's brother, Senor Spielbergo, Marty Score, Brian DePalma, Lucasfilm, Robert Zemeckis, Coppola Winery.

I saw this picture in passing and it got me to thinking if there's any real modern comparison. All these directors, who knew each other beyond just acquaintances, all hitting their strides in a similar time and bringing a variety of films from intimate to blockbusters, and this being right at their prime or just past it before we see real damage like the prequels or Coppola falling off hard.

You've got Taratino, you've got Edgar Wright, Taylor Sheridan maybe?

• Options
    edited March 2022
    George Lucas has only made 6 movies in his entire career.

Doodmann on
    I like to ART
  • Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular

Ah.

Hmmm.

I really liked both of those. Mitchells vs the Machines had a better story and theme. Encanto songs are pretty addicting though :P . But yeah, overall I think I'd agree that Encanto wasn't "Best"

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular

I just can't hide it.

Don't lose control, now.

• Options
    ZavianZavian universal peace sounds better than forever war Registered User regular
    also where's the 'I feel bad for Jada having to deal with this juvenile bullshit' poll option

• Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    I have no take, unlike the rest of you stupid peasants, you disordered rabble, you celebrity-obsessed rubes.
    George Lucas has only made 6 movies.

American Graffiti
    THX Bunchofnumbers
    Star Wars
    Empire Strikes Back
    Return of the Jedi

What's the 6th one

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    knitdan wrote: »

American Graffiti
    THX Bunchofnumbers
    Star Wars
    Empire Strikes Back
    Return of the Jedi

What's the 6th one

You fool you absolute fool. Look into the darkness in your heart and know the truth.

I like to ART
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    George Lucas has only made 6 movies in his entire career.

He has only directed six movies in his entire career, but his career is so much more than being a director.

• Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    Lucas didn't direct Empire or rotj.

nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    NosfNosf Registered User regular
    edited March 2022
    He did all the prequels which people were super mad about until Disney said 'Hold my beer...'

Nosf on
  • Options

Ah.

Hmmm.

I really liked both of those. Mitchells vs the Machines had a better story and theme. Encanto songs are pretty addicting though :P . But yeah, overall I think I'd agree that Encanto wasn't "Best"

Oh, the fact that they did a performance for "We Don't Talk About Bruno" (which, remember, wasn't even put up for nomination) was just a sad grasp for relevance.

• Options
    SchadenfreudeSchadenfreude Mean Mister Mustard Registered User regular
    knitdan wrote: »

American Graffiti
    THX Bunchofnumbers
    Star Wars
    Empire Strikes Back
    Return of the Jedi

What's the 6th one

I'm glued to American Graffiti any time I happen upon it. I honestly think it's better than Space Fights.

The toy line was rather short-lived however.

Contemplate this on the Tree of Woe
  • Options
    CptHamiltonCptHamilton Registered User regular
    cj iwakura wrote: »

I just can't hide it.

I think I'm the only person on the planet who hates recliner seats. I miss the old ones.

I don't hate recliner seats but I don't like them for movies. Drinking my beer and/or cocktails is very awkward when reclined. But for people who drink less than I do I can see where reclining would be pleasant.

I saw pictures of some theater (possibly in Asia somewhere?) chain that has beds in the theater. That's just a step too far if you ask me.

PSN,Steam,Live | CptHamiltonian
This discussion has been closed.