As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Gonna buy me some Wii games, need opinions

PheezerPheezer Registered User, ClubPA regular
edited February 2008 in Games and Technology
There's birthday money to be spent and let's face it, some of it's gonna get spent on videogames.

Okay so I'm definitely getting Geometry Wars Galaxies. That's a done deal.

I'm also looking at picking up a second title though. No More Heroes looks very enticing and has positive reviews all around. I've also looked at that Fire Emblem game, but everyone seems to agree that there's no point in buying it because it's the gamecube version minus decent writing and plus absurd difficulty. That seems... less awesome.

So has anyone played the Fire Emblem game on the Wii? Is it really that bad? The one thing about GC games is that I HATE having the cord stretched across the room and I imagine wavebirds aren't too easy to find right now. So I don't know.

How good is No More Heroes anyhow? Can someone give me a compelling game play description here to seal the deal? I really like turn based strategy but not being able to fucking point at the screen on a wii title is frustrating to a special degree and really bad voice overs make me angry.

Also is there a third runner in this race that I'm not paying attention to? I already have Super Mario Galaxy, Super Paper Mario and RE 4.

IT'S GOT ME REACHING IN MY POCKET IT'S GOT ME FORKING OVER CASH
CUZ THERE'S SOMETHING IN THE MIDDLE AND IT'S GIVING ME A RASH
Pheezer on

• malkothmalkoth Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    As a owner of No More Heroes I cant recommend the game enough. If you enjoy the idea of killing people with a beam katana(light saber), watching them split and two while money and blood gush out then this game is for you. Add on top of that interesting characters, excellent music, and a game that pays homage to us (video game fans), you cant really go wrong. I am kinda biased but YMMV :P

malkoth on
    "Be who you are, and say what you feel because those who mind dont matter, and those who matter dont mind." - Dr. Seuss
  • ImprovoloneImprovolone Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Smash is coming out soon

Improvolone on
    Voice actor for hire. My time is free if your project is!
  • RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    The Wii games I've enjoyed most so far are Trauma Center, Resident Evil: Umbrella Chronicles, and Sonic & the Secret Rings.

Trauma Center - Great action game for the whole family. Fun over the top story. One of the best uses of the Wii-mote yet.

Resident Evil: Umbrella Chronicles - Yes, it's a gun game, but it has much more longevity and depth than most gun games. 20+ levels, all of which are fairly long (like 10-15 mins), cool bosses, lots of weapons and secrets. Great fun in both 1-player and 2-player mode.

Sonic & the Secret Rings - The learning curve to this game is rather high, and the game starts out kind of blah, but if you give it a little time, it's a blast. The amount of fun in this game is directly related to how good you are at it; once you get good at it, you can race through the levels with incredible speed & style and it's glorious. The first 3D Sonic game that actually feels like a Sonic game.

RainbowDespair on
  • PheezerPheezer Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2008
    I'm thinking heavily about going to town and picking up Link's Crossbow Training, Ghost Squad, RE:UC, and having an old-fashioned light-gun party at home.

I also want No More Heroes. It looks deliciously at peace with the fact that it's a video game, and I think that's all the endorsement I need.

PS - Hey Pheez. Didn't even realize that was you before I posted.

hey yourself :P

I've got Link's Crossbow Training and I can vouch for two things:
    It's a hell of a lot of fun
    and
    It's a huge pain in the ass to be inserting and removing the wiimote+chuck every time you want to play a gun game vs. a non-gun game. If they made it a little more convenient to switch which wiimote were "player 1" so that you could leave the gun loaded with your second set and only have to worry about removing it all when you're going to play a 2 player game, it would be one hell of a lot less annoying.

Also I've heard that Sonic & the Secret Rings can be good if you get into it but I want a game that is good when I buy it. I'm picky like that.

Pheezer on
  • tarnoktarnok Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    While we're on the subject, what about NiGHTS? Everyone was gushing and then the game came out and I haven't heard anything. Should I go look for it?

tarnok on
    Wii Code:
    0431-6094-6446-7088
  • maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    You...you've played Twilight Princess right?

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • shyguyshyguy Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    No More Heroes is, like, 25% really awesome and 75% complete and utter shit. You spend a lot of time doing boring crap in a horrible overworld just so you can spend ten minutes in the good parts of the game. Frankly, I think it's really overrated.

Sonic and the Secret Rings is awesome.

shyguy on
  • PicardathonPicardathon Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    You...you've played Twilight Princess right?

Zelda
    Mario
    Is there a metroid out yet? If so, get that.

Picardathon on
  • RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    tarnok wrote: »
    While we're on the subject, what about NiGHTS? Everyone was gushing and then the game came out and I haven't heard anything. Should I go look for it?

I think the general consensus on Nights was that it was inconsistent. When it's doing what it does best (being a flying version of Sonic the Hedgehog) it's supposedly a ton of fun, however the developers saw fit to include some mediocre land based platforming segments and some boring unskippable cutscenes which drag the whole thing down.

I'm still planning on picking it up when it gets cheaper simply because I loved the first game, but my earlier enthusiasm for the title has waned.

RainbowDespair on
  • Mai-KeroMai-Kero Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Metroid Prime 3 is the best game ever.

Mario Galaxy is also the best game ever.

Twilight Princess is hardcore awesome.

Elebits is fun with science!

Umbrella Chronicles is pretty sweet, and has a ton of unlockable stuff. Plus, you get to play as Wesker.

Mai-Kero on
  • starmanbrandstarmanbrand Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I know a lot of people didn't like it, but I really liked SSX Blur. I'm not an SSX fan by any means, but I was in a snowboard game mood when it came out and I just love it.

Also, just save some of the money for smash.

starmanbrand on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Big DookieBig Dookie Smells great! Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    shyguy wrote: »
    No More Heroes is, like, 25% really awesome and 75% complete and utter shit. You spend a lot of time doing boring crap in a horrible overworld just so you can spend ten minutes in the good parts of the game. Frankly, I think it's really overrated.

Don't listen! Well, except maybe about Sonic, because it is pretty good, but otherwise his post is heresy! The amount of good in NMH FAR, FAR outweighs the bad.

I mean, seriously... if this doesn't convince you to get the game, I don't know what will.

Big Dookie on
    Steam | Twitch
    Oculus: TheBigDookie | XBL: Dook | NNID: BigDookie
  • SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Pheezer wrote: »
    It's a huge pain in the ass to be inserting and removing the wiimote+chuck every time you want to play a gun game vs. a non-gun game. If they made it a little more convenient to switch which wiimote were "player 1" so that you could leave the gun loaded with your second set and only have to worry about removing it all when you're going to play a 2 player game, it would be one hell of a lot less annoying.

I'm pretty sure that it defaults player 1 to whichever one you press buttons on first. One of my wiimotes hasn't left the GH controller since it's even more of a pain to change around.

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • KuratosuKuratosu Registered User regular
    edited February 2008

No you're overrated.

In all honesty, yes the overworld can have moments where it bogs down the game a bit but it was never a major detriment to the whole experience for me. Once I got into it I started enjoying the part-time jobs, the assassination side missions, and dressing up Travis like my personal dolly. In fact, I got so into it at some points that I had the money ready for the next two or three ranked assassinations. So it never felt like a grind to get LBs.

And I'm one of the few that actually like riding around on the bike. Once I got the hang of drifting, I was getting where I needed to go in no time.

Combat is so fun and visceral, Suda really struck a perfect balance by including waggle where it absolutely needs to be rather than with every single slash. Finishers really give it an extra oomph so it never gets old.

So yeah pretty much what Dookie said, the amount of good does indeed far outweigh the bad. I'd say it's a must have for the Wii.

As for other suggestions:

RE: UC is good. Very fun with a friend.

Endless Ocean if you're looking for something laid back where you can move at your own pace.

I'll say NiGHTs, but only if you can get it on the cheap somewhere. I never played the Saturn NiGHTs so I can't really compare it, but I definitely had fun with the flying segments.

Twilight Princess is awesome too.

Zack and Wiki is a great point and click adventure.

I've been thinking of picking up Sonic myself, but the views on this game are so vastly split that I might give it a rent sometime.

Kuratosu on
    Click spoiler for Backloggery, and gamer info:
    sig.gif
    Gamer Tag: LeeWay0
    PSN: Leeway0
  • shyguyshyguy Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Big Dookie wrote: »
    I mean, seriously... if this doesn't convince you to get the game, I don't know what will.

I'd have to disagree with that.

It doesn't show you all the time you spend riding around a shitty overworld in a clunky bike doing retarded part-time jobs that make no sense so that you can unlock boring assassination missions and basically grind until you can enter the next level.

And I hate to say it, but... the graphics are terrible. Great art direction on everything except the overworld, of course.

It could have been an amazing game if they had cut out all that stuff and just give you a straight-up level-by-level progression.

I'd probably still recommend it as a rental (the combat system is cool, and the game oozes charm), but I think the praise it's garnering is overboard.

shyguy on
  • MegaManMegaMan The Blue Shooty Guy Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Get Zack & Wiki. It's a fantastic game that deserves better sales. I also agree with those who mentioned Elebits and Twilight Princess.

MegaMan on
    "Any fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction."
    - Albert Einstein
  • Tonberry KingTonberry King Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Mai-Kero wrote: »
    Metroid Prime 3 is the best game ever.
    Didn't even read the rest of the post.

BUY THIS GAME BUY THIS GAME BUY THIS GAME BUY THIS GAME

Tonberry King on
  • bruinbruin Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    No More Heroes is the second best Wii game (SMG) and should definitely be the next you buy. If you want convincing read these four articles.

bruin on
  • KuratosuKuratosu Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Shyguy, the overworld stuff is nowhere near as bad as you're making it out to be. While I was playing there was no point where I felt like I had to grind, I usually had enough to cover the next UAA ranked fight, so I could usually just proceed. In fact I chose to spend time in the overworld to do missions and j-o-b's for fun. The progression wasn't seamless but it was never as irritating as you say it was.

I found the bike quite fun to drive too. Once you figure out how to drift and do wheelies control becomes a cake walk.

Kuratosu on
    Click spoiler for Backloggery, and gamer info:
    sig.gif
    Gamer Tag: LeeWay0
    PSN: Leeway0
  • JebralJebral The guy nobody pays attention to Down South in the land of free thinkingRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Metroid Prime 3 = more or less the best controls in any console FPS ever.

No More Heroes: They don't tell you that you can turn at a 90 degree angle on your bike by tilting the remote whichever way you want to turn and pressing B. It seriously improves the game, as it cuts down on your travel time. It should never take more than a minute max to get to where you want to be. That said, the side missions seem like they should be tedious, but I don't find them to be bad. They don't go on for long, and they reward you well enough that you can go on to other, better things (like the assassination missions.... How many CEOs does Pizza But have?) without the grinding some people like to complain about. Unless you like to keep Travis well dressed.

Jebral on
    steam_sig.png
  • BarrakkethBarrakketh Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Metroid Prime 3 is a must-have game. It was good enough that I forgave Retro for Echoes. Backtracking was painless thanks to your ship, and the "fetch quest" they insist on adding is basically nonexistent unless you manage to not pay attention to the environment. You'll get most of the pieces simply by progressing through the game, and you don't have to collect all of them unless you want to 100% your save (for the extended ending).

Barrakketh on
    Rollers are red, chargers are blue....omae wa mou shindeiru
  • Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I'm also looking at picking up a second title though. No More Heroes looks very enticing and has positive reviews all around. I've also looked at that Fire Emblem game, but everyone seems to agree that there's no point in buying it because it's the gamecube version minus decent writing and plus absurd difficulty. That seems... less awesome.

So has anyone played the Fire Emblem game on the Wii? Is it really that bad? The one thing about GC games is that I HATE having the cord stretched across the room and I imagine wavebirds aren't too easy to find right now. So I don't know.

This is how the average reviewer appears to have approached Fire Emblem:

"Okay, did the prologue, onto the first real mission . . . this is hard . . . this next one is also hard . . . it's still hard . . . abloobloobloo, I'll just write a review based on the first eighth of the game."

The first part of the game is tough for a while, then it eases up after about 5 missions or so. Still challenging since you're saddled with a few sucky characters still, but doable if you don't rush. Then it becomes like any other FE game we've seen stateside in terms of challenge about halfway through as you use developed characters.

It's not a game I recommend to beginners to the series, but much like the GC game there are systems in place that someone with an understanding of the game mechanics can use to almost break the game. The change to bonus exp level ups means that characters don't get so easily screwed over by bad levels and I enjoyed being able to use whatever character I wanted towards the end instead of having to stick to the one with optimal stat growths.

My only real complaints are that the game jumps around too much between different groups. It has a much broader story to tell, but you don't get to spend as much time with some characters you might like.

Also, Volke joins too damn late. Criminal considering how awesome he is.

All the other things people have recommended in this thread are good too though. I just wanted to counter the reviews of FE out there.

Steel Angel on
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Kuribo's ShoeKuribo's Shoe Kuribo's Stocking North PoleRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Sonic is terrible and you should not buy it. Just don't.

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
  • CervetusCervetus Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Mai-Kero wrote: »
    Umbrella Chronicles is pretty sweet, and has a ton of unlockable stuff. Plus, you get to play as Wesker.

Screw that, it's all about
    HUNK.

Also, No More Heroes is totally awesome. If it takes you longer than a minute and a half to get from one end of town to the opposite end you're doing something wrong, and how can assassination missions be boring? It's killing people by chopping their lousy, stinkin' heads off, which is exactly what the game is supposed to be. Well, unless you decide to wrassle them. My biggest complaints are that it seems you will for the most part end up doing the same three wrestling moves over and over, you can't go Dark Side in the assassination and free kill missions, and that the free kill missions can be pretty frustrating. But there's no reason you even have to do the free kill missions at all, so that's a pretty minor one.

Cervetus on
    edited February 2008

Lies.

Barrakketh on
  • CulverCulver Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Here is what i'm going to recommend (granted some of these will be repeated but here goes)

-Metroid Prime 3
    -Nights: Journey of Dreams
    -Super Mario Galaxy
    -No More Heros
    -Sonic and the Secret Rings
    -Zelda: Twilight Princess (if you don't have it for GC already)

Also, Super Smash Brothers Brawl is coming out..and yeah...get that ASAP

Culver on
    Brawl FC: 3050-7350-3428
    360 GamerTag: Culver42
    Sc2 Beta ID : Culver. Culver
  • jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Sonic is a good game, you just need to know what you're getting into when you get it, and want that kind of gameplay.

The levels are pretty much just tracks where you're usually constantly running forward, with the ability to jump and strafe (along with a few other tricks). There's very little exploration involved, the goal for a level is usually simply to get to the end of the track, or if you want a good medal for the level (and if you don't want to earn medals, you don't want this game), to reach the end as quickly as possible. While most of the levels can be beaten easily if you take them slowly, the meat of the gameplay is in learning the levels and how to manuver through them without needing to stop.

The game uses an experience-based levelling system, requiring you to beat levels in order to unlock new ablities. Each of those abilities also has a cost to equip, meaning that you won't be able to use every ability you've unlocked at once. As a result of this, Sonic starts out moving fairly slowly (for Sonic, I mean), but by the post-game he'll be moving incredibly fast. Since medals are based on time, it's probably impossible to get golds on most of the levels early on.

In my opinion, the story is essentially just an extended tutorial for the postgame, where you can finally end up just ripping through levels, both the ones you've been through before and the new ones that are unlocked. However, some of the levels will rip through you as well, especially the ones where collecting pearls will make you instantly lose, and you're of course faced with walls of them. The game is one of playing particular levels over and over until you can play through them well, or at least beat them. For the harder levels, those two are often the same thing.

Also, there's unlockable images and music and stuff for beating things and getting tons of medals and stuff. I'm a sucker for that kind of thing.

jothki on
  • Big DookieBig Dookie Smells great! Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008

I'd have to disagree with that.

It doesn't show you all the time you spend riding around a shitty overworld in a clunky bike doing retarded part-time jobs that make no sense so that you can unlock boring assassination missions and basically grind until you can enter the next level.

And I hate to say it, but... the graphics are terrible. Great art direction on everything except the overworld, of course.

It could have been an amazing game if they had cut out all that stuff and just give you a straight-up level-by-level progression.

I'd probably still recommend it as a rental (the combat system is cool, and the game oozes charm), but I think the praise it's garnering is overboard.

You're a terrible person.

Big Dookie on
    Steam | Twitch
    Oculus: TheBigDookie | XBL: Dook | NNID: BigDookie
  • KelorKelor Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Pheezer wrote:

Like Steel Angel said, when people say it is a hard game, it is. But like every other Fire Emblem, the first 10 or so chapters are until your characters start to stabilize and you can tell which ones you'll want to be using through the game. Characters getting screwed over with level ups is sort of one of the charms to the series.

That said, I really recommend playing Path of Radiance first before you get into Radiant Dawn. The tutorials for PoR are very clear and cover pretty much everything you'll need to know, as well as being entirely skippable if you find it straight forward enough. Also, just in case you hadn't read about it, your characters are gone for good when they die and at the end of the game each gets an ending telling you what they end up doing after the game closes. So it makes you care for the characters a lot as well.

No More Heroes....I only just had it arrive on Friday so I'm not all that far into it, but its definately something worth picking up. If you enjoyed Killer 7 on the GC or Psychonauts, games that are quirky but still deliver I'd recommend it to you. It somehow manages to make decapitations and splitting people from head to toe seem very fun and theres at times an almost child like glee when you swing the wiimote at the end of combo to slice of the bad guy's head or suplex him into the grond. The throwing system is really awesome too.

The over world for the first two Acts is not all that interesting, but once you make nine most of the areas open up for you, where you can learn new wrestling moves, buy more geek clothes and customize your sword. Its somewhat like Shadows of the Colossus, what you're really looking forward to is the boss fights and replace climbing trees for fruit and hunting lizards with Sabat kicking trees for coconuts and buying clothes. Ah....and replace praying at shrines with pooping.

Twilight Princess is worth a pick up, its basically the peak of the style of Ocarina of Time gameplay plus you should be able to find it relatively cheap. Its a solid game (I still need to finish, the wolf parts I don't find as interesting as the being able to run around as Link.) with some fun boss fights.

Metroid Prime 3: Buy it, buy it, buy it. In addition to being a great game, it will ruin you as a dual thumb sticks man for the rest of your life. After Wii sports its quite possibly the best use of the Wiimote controls around.

Budget titles I'd give a shout out to as well;

Excite Truck: So much fun. Steer cars with the Wiimote to drive on the side of mountains, off the top of mountains and power sliding through forests dodging trees. These are some of my favourite things. Customizable music if you have an SD card as well.

Elebits: Right up there with MP3 for controls. You're basically looking for these little elebit creatures to enslave in appliances to get the power on in your house. You gradually work your way up from being able to pick up boxes, to chairs, tables, couches, bush, bikes, cars, trees and buildings. Almost criminally fun.

Endless Ocean: Why do all these awesome budget titles start with E? No idea, but if you're looking for something to get your girlfriend, family or someone who has an obsession with fish into playing, this is worth a try. Looks great visually and has customizable music.

Battalion Wars: Think Advance Wars in third person. The single player campaign is somewhat shortish, but it has pretty extensive multiplayer options available online. Bombing the crap out of people with cartoony stealth bombers has never been so fun. Or jumping into a jeep to get the hell away from your opponent's medium tanks so you can track down a helicopter to get wipe him the hell out. Unfortunately no voice options or way to preset taunts to inform your opponent that they've been dropped like a phat beat.

Zack & Wiki: Last one I'll mention as its an excellent point & click adventure , its budget, it has a monkey who flies and really you should just buy it. Deserved better sales than it got. Another great use of Wiimote controls too.

Also, save money from your spending spree for Brawl.

Edit: That was a lot longer than I thought.

Kelor on
    edited February 2008
    I rented Metroid Prime 3. I think they completely fucking ruined the ambience that made every Metroid game prior to it so brilliant. It's no longer about solitary exploration into alien lands, it's about having fucking idiots with terrible writing saying painfully stupid things and xxxxxtreme snowboarding all over the place. The gameplay itself was fine. It has all of the elements of a good game. It's just impossible for me to enjoy.

Excite Truck I was more or less finished with after a two week rental. Zack & Wiki I wasn't really enthralled with. Elebits I don't think has very good controls in fact I think it lacks a lot of finish and suffers for that. Twilight Princess, ehhh, I guess I should get it. I just stopped caring at some point. I don't know, maybe. EB Games still wants like $55 for it USED which is pretty much fucking criminal since new games are now coming out at $50. As for Battalion Wars I don't really care for the idea there. I've never been a fan of RTS games and this is like some kind of hybrid between that and third person action, right? I don't know, not really something that ever caught my eye.

I actually ended up grabbing Front Mission DS because it was cheap and I don't think I'll see it again any time soon. So now I'll probably just get one Wii game, and I think the game is Geometry Wars: Galaxies, unless someone can convince me that there is absolutely a better deal to be had.

For the record, Front Mission DS is so far completely excellent except for the bad dialogue. I seem to recall much more compelling translations offered up by fans in years prior, so I don't fucking get it. But whatever.

Pheezer on
  • Masked_MulletMasked_Mullet Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    If your a sports fan i would suggest madden, It has all the waggle and goodness and stuffs. Then you Have your moh2 heroes that's fun as well.

Masked_Mullet on
  • ShimShamShimSham Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Pheezer? I thought you stopped posting here years ago.

ShimSham on
    QcGKhPm.jpg
  • CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Preorder Brawl.

Couscous on
  • GahazakulGahazakul regular
    edited February 2008
    Someone talked about getting Ghost Squad, don't. My god that was a waste. I want more light gun goodness, but that stuff is horrible. I'm just waiting for the house of the dead collection.

Also how come no one has mentioned Wario Ware? Yes its a collection of mini games but damn its so fun.

And you bought a Wii, you have Wii Sports, that can keep ppl occupied for hours.

Gahazakul on
    edited February 2008
    ShimSham wrote: »
    Pheezer? I thought you stopped posting here years ago.

I believe Pheezer was recently known as DrDizaster.

Barrakketh on
  • Golden LegGolden Leg Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I was in the same predicament you were yesterday, but then I decided to use up a couple gift cards.

Super Mario Galaxy is awesome. I'm about three hours into it, and, so far, the gameplay is fun, the levels are cool, and the audio and visuals are amazing.

Its the perfect game to get if you don't have time to sink a large amount of hours into gaming every day. That, and its the apex of 3D platforming.

Golden Leg on
  • LemmingLemming Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I rented Metroid Prime 3. I think they completely fucking ruined the ambience that made every Metroid game prior to it so brilliant. It's no longer about solitary exploration into alien lands, it's about having fucking idiots with terrible writing saying painfully stupid things and xxxxxtreme snowboarding all over the place. The gameplay itself was fine. It has all of the elements of a good game. It's just impossible for me to enjoy.

How far did you get into it? I can understand what you mean for the first part, while you're on the ship and (small) first planet, but after you get on Bryyo, all that is pretty much done with, except for a few transmissions you get from the aurora unit.

Lemming on
  • slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited February 2008

Boooo.. wrong...

NMH is a great game. I highly recommend. Just play it on Mild the first time, not Sweet.

Also, yes, Secret Rings is awesome if you understand the nature of the game.

Depends on what you're looking for. This is a love it or hate it type game.

Besides NMH, the recommendations I'd make are this:

Trauma Center Second Opinion or New Blood
    Metroid Prime 3
    Zack and Wiki
    Mario Strikers Charged
    Zelda TP
    RE UC or Ghost Squad if you want a good rail shooter; although these two games focus on completely different gameplay aspects
    Metal Slug Anthology
    Guilty Gear Accent Core
    Guitar Hero 3

As far as NMH, if you're expecting anything like Grand Theft Auto you'll be disappointed. It's not meant to be like that at all. The overworld is a hub, not a 'world' per se. But it's a pure action game, with great style and an extremely engaging style all around; visually, audio, voice acting, writing, etc.

slash000 on
    edited February 2008
    Okay, but is NMH a better buy than Geometry Wars

I think that's the real point I'm struggling on right now.

Pheezer on
  • slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Okay, but is NMH a better buy than Geometry Wars

I think that's the real point I'm struggling on right now.

That's a tough choice. Me? I bought both and extremely happy with both games. I achieved Gold Medals on every planet in Galaxies, and managed to pull nearly 800,000 points in Retro Evolved. I love me some Geo Wars Galaxies.

But I also really, really love No More Heroes. It's a game with incredible style and unique characters and a great story to tell. Click on my sig to see an article written about it that rings pretty true.

You can't go wrong with either. I guess it's a question of whether you're looking for an arcade-style shooter that emphasizes reflexes and rewards high score, or if you're looking for a very unique and stylish action game.

slash000 on