As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[The Legend of Zelda] Breath of the Wild sequel in development!

• Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    I've seen people say it was laggy in the misty forest (forgot the name), but I never experienced it, and if I remember correctly they patched performance there after a while to make it less laggy (although still a little bit laggy, allegedly?).

I've never experienced any lag myself, but I've seen lots of people talk about lag in the woods, enough so that it doesn't seem like one-off corner cases or exaggerations. I think "horribly laggy", without any qualifiers, is a bit of hyperbole, though.

• Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    I feel like Lost Woods / Korok Forest was the worst offender for sure. I did definitely experience random fps drops at times (enough to be noticeable) but it was never really enough to bother me personally. I want to say those dragons tended to cause some amount of lag when they flew around. But yeah, Lost Woods was the one that was actually quite bad and bothered me a little, but then there isn't a ton of gameplay in that section so it didn't ruin the experience that much (I mean, it was mostly in front of the Deku Tree so it's basically a town)

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    dipuc4lifedipuc4life ... In my own HeadRegistered User regular
    Ummm ... How far do some people think it's getting delayed? The way people are talking you would expect what was announced was a 2 year delay. They clearly said spring 2023 in that announcement ... and unless my calendar is funky that's only 4-5 months from when most were expecting it in November 2022. In total it's probably one year or so out from today if all the stars align. There is no guarantee that it won't be delayed again so ... there's that.

Also, I doubt that a new system is coming out before then end of 2023 (maybe a revision) so why wouldn't it still be on the Switch again? It's gonna be on the Switch, even if it runs like molasses. I think Nintendo likes money and they would be foolish to not sell this game to the 100M users on the Switch. But you know ... the sky is falling, Nintendo is dhoomed, and Mario kicks puppies ... well I can't vouch for Mario.

NNID: SW-6490-6173-9136
    Playstation: Dipuc4Life
    Warframe_Switch IGN: ONVEBAL
  • Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    Business Spring is later than Calendar Spring, it will be later than March. June 2023 would still be in business Spring.

• Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    re: BotW FPS, personally it's just a reminder that framerate doesn't have to have a major effect on gameplay.

Clearly people disagree, purely from the comments here about how it was "rough", but honestly even though I was fully aware of when fps dipped in BotW, I can't remember once it actually effected the gameplay itself, and I 100%'d the game on normal and master mode.

Yeah, the Switch is underpowered, but again, assuming the game is made well, when I'm actually playing it, vs watching a video or whatever, it is rare that it is bothersome. I only speak for myself, though.

Whether or not there's a new Switch coming, BotW2 is coming to the current one. That isn't a question at this point. Someone can correct me, but I can't think of a time that Nintendo has ever moved a title between generations without at the very least providing a version for the generation it was announced in originally. For sure, there's no doubt when they're internally developing a title, they may bump it to the next system, but not once they've announced it.

And I'm still not convinced we're going to see a new Nintendo system anytime in the next 2-3 years. The OLED kinda put most rumors to rest and indicated that they were expecting minimum, 2-3 years more on the current hardware.

That isn't even getting into production issues that they'd have anytime in the forseeable future, launching new hardware unless they magically don't have to deal with the same supply and production issues the entirety of the world is.

Recently, when I was playing through Horizon, my son decided he wanted to try BotW again, and at first, on the same screen (75in 4k), it was jarring how it looked after having gotten accustomed to the ultra high res/detail visuals of a current gen game, but my brain adjusted real fast to it, and it was only a few minutes before I was noticing how nice (if, again, low rez) BotW looks. It doesn't mean I'm going to toss out my PS5 :lol: but, design can go far.

Also "native res" is becoming increasingly less important than visual design. Mario Odyssey ran at a pretty reliable 60fps, and its use of dynamic res was rarely distracting (to me); though if I'm being honest, Bowsers Fury's use of dynamic res was occasionally distracting. That game felt almost more like a tech demo anyway though.

Could Nintendo benefit from new hardware? Absolutely. Do I think, for price/performance and manufacturing limitations, we're going to see it anytime soon? Nope. Add to it that Nintendo tends to never release hardware that they can't price above costs, and have a specific price point they aim for historically, I don't think a new Switch, in a $300 range, right now (again with manufacturing problems and costs industry wide), would be what anyone wanted.

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    I just kinda figure they're targeting Spring just like they were targeting 2022. Spring lasts until late June. And with Spring '23 being a year away, that's plenty of time for "targeting Spring" to turn into "Holiday 2023".

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    IIRC the rumor was that the OLED Switch was meant to be a Pro style revision with a power increase, but the bottleneck on processor manufacturing meant they had to continue using their existing internal stuff.

If that's anywhere approaching true, I can't imagine we'll see a proper big revision or replacement to the Switch for a while yet.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular
    Warlock82 wrote: »
    I feel like Lost Woods / Korok Forest was the worst offender for sure. I did definitely experience random fps drops at times (enough to be noticeable) but it was never really enough to bother me personally. I want to say those dragons tended to cause some amount of lag when they flew around. But yeah, Lost Woods was the one that was actually quite bad and bothered me a little, but then there isn't a ton of gameplay in that section so it didn't ruin the experience that much (I mean, it was mostly in front of the Deku Tree so it's basically a town)

Large grassy fields generally seem to be framerate killers. I've seen optimized PS5 games that were otherwise immaculate have hitches when there's lots of grass on screen.

XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen
  • Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    And grass is such a completely pointless graphical effect to chug an engine. At least in Zelda you can cut grass, but even so, I’d remove all grass from most areas to spare the engine.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    Raybies666Raybies666 Registered User regular
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    And grass is such a completely pointless graphical effect to chug an engine. At least in Zelda you can cut grass, but even so, I’d remove all grass from most areas to spare the engine.

Just like I spared my lawnmower.

Beat me on Wii U: Raybies
    Beat me on 360: Raybies666

I remember when I had time to be good at games.
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    edited March 2022
    IIRC the rumor was that the OLED Switch was meant to be a Pro style revision with a power increase, but the bottleneck on processor manufacturing meant they had to continue using their existing internal stuff.

If that's anywhere approaching true, I can't imagine we'll see a proper big revision or replacement to the Switch for a while yet.

It could also be that the processing node Nintendo wanted to use was full-up or given very little actual fabrication time over more profitable specs, especially since they're using Nvidia Tegra architecture. Tegra is a massive failure. There's no way it's occupying any good space at fabrication foundries.

If Nintendo goes with AMD (which they absolutely should for the successor) I don't see the same issue.

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular

It could also be that the processing node Nintendo wanted to use was full-up or given very little actual fabrication time over more profitable specs, especially since they're using Nvidia Tegra architecture. Tegra is a massive failure. There's no way it's occupying any good space at fabrication foundries.

If Nintendo goes with AMD (which they absolutely should for the successor) I don't see the same issue.

It's still nuts to me how much NVIDIA has been dropping the ball with that kind of stuff lately. They were supposed to be the king but they're letting AMD swoop in and steal their market space.

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Warlock82 wrote: »

It's still nuts to me how much NVIDIA has been dropping the ball with that kind of stuff lately. They were supposed to be the king but they're letting AMD swoop in and steal their market space.

AMD's mobile chips are incredible, and they have the leg up on Nvidia for the entire SoC since Ryzen is likewise an incredible architecture.

If Nintendo goes with Nvidia again I would question their leaderships capability.

• Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    I know it’s never going to happen but I’d really laugh if the next Switch (or whatever it’s successor ends up being called) had the M1 chip.

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    Mr_Rose wrote: »
    I know it’s never going to happen but I’d really laugh if the next Switch (or whatever it’s successor ends up being called) had the M1 chip.

The licensing horror show this could cause (and the M1’s subpar gaming performance) would make me think twice about even buying it

• Options
    dipuc4lifedipuc4life ... In my own HeadRegistered User regular
    Last I remember Nintendo and Nvidia had a multi-year, multi-console deal. I could however be dead wrong and it's just head-cannon. Also Nintendo only used the Tegra because Nvidia couldn't give them away and Nintendo probably (more than likely) got a great deal on that SOC. That thing punches WAY above its weight.

Sure Nvidia's mobile chips might not be as good as AMD but you bet your ass they want to bring something that slaps. Jensen is a hyper competitive guy and he's probably eyeing the Steam Deck with a raging boner. They want a win here. Nintendo might be the limiting factor because they will prioritize battery life and cost over moar powar. Whatever they bring it will at least be good enough, even if it only gets to PS5/XBS levels. Slap some DLSS on the new dock and we might get something decent.

On Topic, I'm cool with waiting for BOTW2. Just hoping for traditional dungeons and maybe a weapon repair/crafting feature.

NNID: SW-6490-6173-9136
    Playstation: Dipuc4Life
    Warframe_Switch IGN: ONVEBAL
  • Options
    edited March 2022
    dipuc4life wrote: »
    Last I remember Nintendo and Nvidia had a multi-year, multi-console deal. I could however be dead wrong and it's just head-cannon. Also Nintendo only used the Tegra because Nvidia couldn't give them away and Nintendo probably (more than likely) got a great deal on that SOC. That thing punches WAY above its weight.

Sure Nvidia's mobile chips might not be as good as AMD but you bet your ass they want to bring something that slaps. Jensen is a hyper competitive guy and he's probably eyeing the Steam Deck with a raging boner. They want a win here. Nintendo might be the limiting factor because they will prioritize battery life and cost over moar powar. Whatever they bring it will at least be good enough, even if it only gets to PS5/XBS levels. Slap some DLSS on the new dock and we might get something decent.

On Topic, I'm cool with waiting for BOTW2. Just hoping for traditional dungeons and maybe a weapon repair/crafting feature.

I don't think it matters what Nvidia wants. Right now, the demand for fabrication far, far, far outstrips the supply. It's so bad they're building a fab in America.

TSMC isn't going to give up fab space for a failed and/or unproven product from Nvidia, not when there's high profit-margin, shit hot popular architecture like Apple Silicon and AMD, and even Nvidia's own GPU line which is far more profitable than the SoC they gave Nintendo. I think Intel is going to outside fabs to produce their GPU's as well, but I could be mistaken.

I don't see a situation where Nvidia gets the same deal to Nintendo for that silicon, especially since they're starting to show the inability to advance in their own architecture short of stuffing more transistors in.

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular
    BOTW2 is called "Tears of the Kingdom", out May 12, 2023.

https://youtu.be/2SNF4M_v7wc

XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen
  • Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    Stoked. Like literally can't wait. I wish WWHD and TPHD were confirmed for ports to hold us over.

• Options
    BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    I'm so going to mess up the title and call it Breath of the Kingdom. Then my wife will take years to correct me (or beat me).

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • Options
    physi_marcphysi_marc Positron Tracker In a nutshellRegistered User regular
    Is it tears, as in crying, or tears as in tearing apart?

3DS Friend Code: 3952-7043-7606
    Switch Friend Code: 3102-5341-0358
    Nintendo Network ID: PhysiMarc
  • Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    If they remove weapon durability I am 100% in.

If they don't, I probably won't even give it another look. It's that much of a make or break for me.

• Options
    DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    Make or break ...

I see what you did there.

• Options
    TelMarineTelMarine Registered User regular
    Lucascraft wrote: »

If they don't, I probably won't even give it another look. It's that much of a make or break for me.

This has been debated already a bunch, but honestly, I came around on it and I hope they keep it. Perhaps increase the durability of weapons a little bit (since some broke incredibly fast), but it actually does force you to make some decisions and use a variety of weapons. They throw plenty of weapons at you so in reality it really wasn't as much of a problem in the long run.

3ds: 4983-4935-4575
  • Options
    el_vicioel_vicio Registered User regular
    Stoked. Like literally can't wait. I wish WWHD and TPHD were confirmed for ports to hold us over.

I cannot fathom why Nintendo still has not brought those ports. Now, to ostensibly not eat TotK's lunch, we def won't have them before 2024?

ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    edited September 2022
    zffzjvelikv4.png

MMFh. My man looking fly af.

KoopahTroopah on
  • Options
    YoungFreyYoungFrey Registered User regular
    edited September 2022
    TelMarine wrote: »

This has been debated already a bunch, but honestly, I came around on it and I hope they keep it. Perhaps increase the durability of weapons a little bit (since some broke incredibly fast), but it actually does force you to make some decisions and use a variety of weapons. They throw plenty of weapons at you so in reality it really wasn't as much of a problem in the long run.

And most of the weapons that break really quickly are junk like rakes and sticks. Or if you use a sword to break rocks instead of a sledgehammer. They whole game is about experimentation. From the recipes to the weapons to the powers, it's all about having infinite ways to go about things. Having put near 300 hours in this game, my biggest gripe (by far) is when you open a chest if you don't have inventory space it closes and you have to make space then reopen.
    2nd is you can't stable any of the cool rides. If I want to stable bears, skeletons, and The King who are you to stop me? It always felt really weird the game prevents it.
    3rd: I get that rain preventing climbing is to get you to do something else, but I'd like more options for cool things when it raining. Especially since the rain often comes and prevents me reaching some goal I was going for so I'm already feeling thwarted.

YoungFrey on
  • Options
    edited September 2022
    If they remove durability it's a day 1. Only having 1 weapon but having better tuned combat would go a long way to solving my biggest problems with BOTW.

If they don't, I'll buy it when they re-release the remaster on the Switch's successor.

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Please have real dungeons.

Please have real dungeons.

Please feel like a Zelda again. Please-y please.

As much as I hate un-repairable weapons I would take that if they just have some proper Zelda dungeons again.

Add in someway to fix weapons and I'm on cloud 9.

• Options
    rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    If they remove durability it's a day 1.

If they don't, I'll buy it when they re-release the remaster on the Switch's successor.

The way its dated it already looks like it's lining up for some kind of new hardware.

• Options

The way its dated it already looks like it's lining up for some kind of new hardware.

what
    can you explain what you mean by that

ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• Options
    edited September 2022

Yeah, I mean the last 2 Zelda's (minus Skyward Sword because... well) have all coincided with new game console releases, but again if they keep weapon degradation and don't fix the spammy combat, it will make this game far less desirable. I wouldn't have minded it so much if the weapon breakage for the really high tier weapons was far, far higher and the Hylian Shield and Master Sword had no degradation/recharge wait, but that never materialized.

Also, the combat was spammy even for Zelda standards.

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    el_vicio wrote: »

what
    can you explain what you mean by that

6 years from the original Switch

Just about Summer

Both Twilight Princess and BOTW were tiered releases.

• Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    I actually doubt Nintendo feels any pressure to get a new system out anytime soon. I could easily be wrong on that. But they continue to make bank on the Switch. And even though the Switch is roughly 2.5 hardware generations behind, it also doesn't seem to matter. There's no financial pressure to bring something new out. In fact, it might be the opposite. There might be financial pressure to stay exactly the same for as long as they can, until there's a noticeable decline in hardware and software titles on the Switch. Why rush a new product to market when the Switch is still such an amazing cash cow?

• Options
    ani_game_bumani_game_bum Optimistic, Rule-Breaking Nice Guy The Final World/DestinationRegistered User regular
    zffzjvelikv4.png

MMFh. My man looking fly af.

New helper tool on left hip confirm?

steam_sig.pngPSN: ani_game_bum Battle.net ID: Anigamebum#1354 Genshin UID: 660694297 Switch FC: SW-2127-8288-6505 Steam Wishlist
  • Options
    edited September 2022
    I actually doubt Nintendo feels any pressure to get a new system out anytime soon. I could easily be wrong on that. But they continue to make bank on the Switch. And even though the Switch is roughly 2.5 hardware generations behind, it also doesn't seem to matter. There's no financial pressure to bring something new out. In fact, it might be the opposite. There might be financial pressure to stay exactly the same for as long as they can, until there's a noticeable decline in hardware and software titles on the Switch. Why rush a new product to market when the Switch is still such an amazing cash cow?

Sales are flagging, I think there was a 20% drop this year vs last year. Generally once a console has hit a saturation point like the Switch has, I would expect the sales to start falling off faster rather than slower. Considering it's the best-selling console ever, I think that saturation point has been hit.

Plus a new console lets them re-release all of the games people already paid for on the Switch, and people will pay for them again. Which is very on-brand for the big N.

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    Plus a new console lets them re-release all of the games people already paid for on the Switch

No backwards compatibility would be a disgrace

ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• Options
    el_vicio wrote: »
    Plus a new console lets them re-release all of the games people already paid for on the Switch

No backwards compatibility would be a disgrace

Disgrace.

Continuation of 30 years of corporate policy that hasn't stopped people from falling for it multiple times.

Po-tay-to Poh-tah-to.

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    I feel like we'd have heard about a new console if it was releasing in may?

• Options
    Xaquin wrote: »
    I feel like we'd have heard about a new console if it was releasing in may?

The Switch was revealed in October of 2016, and released in March 2017. We've been hearing rumors of the Switch Pro (most assuredly not the name) for a year now, or more.

This discussion has been closed.