As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Penny Arcade - Comic - Plus Ultra

DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin

Plus Ultra!

Penny Arcade - Comic - Plus Ultra

Videogaming-related online strip by Mike Krahulik and Jerry Holkins. Includes news and commentary.

Read the full story here

• Options
    dennisdennis aka bingley Registered User regular
    I feel like the very last bubble is how a lot of my conversations end. At least in my head.

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    God I hate that when all the tiers are stuff like
    Preferred
    Elite
    Executive
    Gold Plus

How do I rank these!?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    You gotta' call things something.

klgl1jwk4ugq.jpg

This version actually runs Adobe Photoshop!

• Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    My thoughts echo Gabe's question in panel 1.

Are we sure Sony is actually trying to compete with Game Pass? Because this isn't very competitive.

If I'm not subscribing to PS Now already, why would I opt into the more expensive PS+ bundle?

• Options
    GrendusGrendus Registered User regular
    Keeping in mind how lackluster Gamepass was at launch, I'm going to withhold judgement until we see the games that are available via the service on launch. Microsoft has pumped money into Gamepass for a very, very long time now and I remember a very long time when people's standard opinion on Gamepass was "it's a great value for the price" because most of the games on it were either much older or not very good. It's only fair to extend the same courtesy to Sony.

I probably won't get it, but that's more to do with the fact that I can't even keep up with the regular PS+ games I get on the basic tier (and I usually only care about one of the three... I just have no time!).

• Options
    swaylowswaylow Registered User regular
    Stealing something I saw elsewere that more accurately described the levels:

Soft Pass
    Medium Pass
    Hard Pass

Also: thanks to whoever unbugged and/or relinked the comic discussion threads!

• Options
    Grendus wrote: »
    Keeping in mind how lackluster Gamepass was at launch, I'm going to withhold judgement until we see the games that are available via the service on launch. Microsoft has pumped money into Gamepass for a very, very long time now and I remember a very long time when people's standard opinion on Gamepass was "it's a great value for the price" because most of the games on it were either much older or not very good. It's only fair to extend the same courtesy to Sony.

I feel like that comparison might not be fair in a world where Gamepass already exists. Even if Gamepass wasn't great when it came out, it also wasn't markedly inferior to a product you could get from a direct competitor. It's like having a search engine launch that's just so-so and saying "hey, google search wasn't everything it is now when it launched, either."

• Options
    FireballDragonFireballDragon Registered User regular
    If no one else is gonna bring up it, I will.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8TFAGAyLzcg

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    dennis wrote: »

I feel like that comparison might not be fair in a world where Gamepass already exists. Even if Gamepass wasn't great when it came out, it also wasn't markedly inferior to a product you could get from a direct competitor. It's like having a search engine launch that's just so-so and saying "hey, google search wasn't everything it is now when it launched, either."

Yeah like ask Mixer how much leeway they got versus twitch. Or how googles streaming service faired against microsoft and Geforce Now.

Its weird how people want to give Sony all this "look they are trying" but are they though?

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited March 2022
    Preacher wrote: »

Yeah like ask Mixer how much leeway they got versus twitch. Or how googles streaming service faired against microsoft and Geforce Now.

Its weird how people want to give Sony all this "look they are trying" but are they though?

From what I heard Mixer actually had a pretty good feature set relative to Twitch, including some stuff that folks liked even better. But network effects with something like Twitch are lot more difficult to overcome than with PS+ v GamePass where you're competing solely on product and not friends lists.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ArmsForPeace84ArmsForPeace84 Your Partner In Freedom Registered User regular
    God I hate that when all the tiers are stuff like
    Preferred
    Elite
    Executive
    Gold Plus

How do I rank these!?

"We have Tall, Grande, and Venti."
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wic5Mf06SJ0

Nothing personal. It's just business.
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular

From what I heard Mixer actually had a pretty good feature set relative to Twitch, including some stuff that folks liked even better. But network effects with something like Twitch are lot more difficult to overcome than with PS+ v GamePass where you're competing solely on product and not friends lists.

Twitch was also on product though, the streamers people wanted to watch were on twitch. Same with game pass vs ps whatever. Hard to sell your service when day one releases aren't there.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    LttlefootLttlefoot Registered User regular
    The competing service is irrelevant to anyone who only owns a PlayStation

• Options
    Lttlefoot wrote: »
    The competing service is irrelevant to anyone who only owns a PlayStation

It's incredibly relevant to people who are looking to buy either a PS or an Xbox (or a Switch. I guess). It'd be naïve to think these two offerings aren't a big part in selling new systems.

• Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited March 2022
    Gamepass also works on PC.

I'm not a part of the XBox ecosystem. But I do have a gaming PC. So right away Gamepass already wins. And I'm a lucky one who has a PS5...

Lucascraft on
  • Options

Twitch was also on product though, the streamers people wanted to watch were on twitch. Same with game pass vs ps whatever. Hard to sell your service when day one releases aren't there.
    That's network effect. The product is the platform and the audience the streamers bring in. The streamers people wanted were on Twitch, because they were already on Twitch and inertia and network effects kept from moving to Mixer (except for the ones that got a huge deal like Ninja).

steam_sig.png