As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Battletech] New KS - 23 Mar!

• HydroSqueegeeHydroSqueegee ULTRACAT!!!™®© Registered User regular
    edited March 2022
    Made a quick 6 hour detour over to Miniature Market in St Louis and snagged a copy of the new battletech book because I'm too impatient to wait for shipping and I knew they had a copy.

pNM7VNv.jpg[\img]

HydroSqueegee on
    kx3klFE.png
  • NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    Thinking back to storage solutions.

Feldherr has a bag with precut foam they recommend for Battletech. For some reason I have it in my head that the IWM versions tend to be smaller, and that the case was made with those in mind. I'm worried that some of the CGL plastics, which are chonky boys (thinking mainly of the Anni, Stone Rhino, and King Crab here), won't fit as well in the case. Anybody have one and can confirm if the bigger CGL plastics fit okay?

• TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    edited March 2022
    https://www.reddit.com/r/battletech/comments/tq9yrm/so_combined_my_love_of_40k_and_battletech_and

This is amazing and I am 100% gonna find someone to print me one of these
    Made a quick 6 hour detour over to Miniature Market in St Louis and snagged a copy of the new battletech book because I'm too impatient to wait for shipping and I knew they had a copy.

pNM7VNv.jpg[\img]

May your big book of hilarious pranks and war crimes bring you joy

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • NipsNips He/Him Luxuriating in existential crisis.Registered User regular
    TOGSolid wrote: »
    https://www.reddit.com/r/battletech/comments/tq9yrm/so_combined_my_love_of_40k_and_battletech_and

This is hilarious and I am 100% gonna find someone to print me one of these

pNM7VNv.jpg[\img]

May your big book of hilarious pranks and war crimes bring you joy

Funny, I grabbed that STL earlier today. I'll let you know how it prints out. 😀

JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
  • TiglissTigliss Registered User regular
    I was looking for some mechanism to "improve" play around missile grouping because our games slow way down every time we refer to those clustering charts. I've always thought missiles under performed for weight/tonnage and punchy-ness (at least in my 3025 brain). These guys have a pretty neat system not only for clusters but also for chain fire vs. group fire.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-fiylYFzeqU

Basically for group fire:
    Declare your attack
    Roll d6 "Pilot Dice"
    Roll a d6 "Weapon Dice" for each weapon
    add Pilot+Weapon dice and figure out to hit normally

Makes rounds more boom/bust but they did the math and functionally the same odds. I really like the idea, as it speeds up gameplay and the pilot dice adds to the "story" of the round.

Anywho... it was worth the 8mins to me.

l7n41RV.png
  • McGibsMcGibs TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited March 2022
    @Tigliss I never posted this here, but I wrote up some homebrew streamlined rules that seem to have similar goals of cutting some of the roll-chaff. Still a work in progress, but I played a few test games with fun results. Though it's more an alternative ruleset than different dice-rolling.
    https://docs.google.com/document/d/17fV7lXNtcoQP447kQIP7oRIdFqacT1tdRsZ1IYwi-sE/edit?usp=sharing

TLDR: I tried to introduce some mechanics from both MWO and HBS's Battletech pc games, while cutting down on the layers of rolling on tables.
    -HBS style initiative system with lights>mediums>heavies>assault activation orders
    -MWO style "damage splashing" where the defender chooses where to allocate damage across their armour (including cluster hits)
    -A lot of simplified tweaks for to-hit maths and heat guages to speed things up a bit
    -reworking of a lot of special equipment to give tangible effects similar to MWO/HBS games

McGibs on
    website_header.jpg
  • NoughtNought Registered User regular
    Wouldn't the HBS initiative system skrew the value of mechs?

I seem to remember that the PC game has problems with a heavy version of the previous class is better than a light version of the next one?

I know that can be rebalanced with BV, or just ignored if you go more for narrative than competative play.

It just seems to create other problems, while fixing one aspect.

On fire
    Island. Being on fire.
  • McGibsMcGibs TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited March 2022
    Oh, I wasn't trying to keep any semblance of balance. I don't think the current BV is very balanced anyways.
    I just don't particularly like the simultaneous initiative system, as it's quite clunky to keep track of everything.

McGibs on
    website_header.jpg
    How do you feel it's clunky?

I use Mr. Laser's BT dice I got from Etsy and it makes tracking who has done what during the move order pretty easy, then on the shooting I just remove the dice from whoever I've done my stuff with to track who has fired.

wWuzwvJ.png
  • NoughtNought Registered User regular
    edited April 2022
    McGibs wrote: »
    Oh, I wasn't trying to keep any semblance of balance. I don't think the current BV is very balanced anyways.
    I just don't particularly like the simultaneous initiative system, as it's quite clunky to keep track of everything.

Ahh. Okay. Makes sense.

I still havn't sat down and read the actual rules. And the way everybody talks about them makes them seem quite daunting.

Nought on
    On fire
    Island. Being on fire.
    It is once again time to invoke the Old Ways, and therefore it is my pleasure to introduce you all to the next lance of the Oosik Batallion.

Calling @Betsuni @Syngyne @Mortious and @Maijinamuro
    Buckle up, y'all, here's a long one!

"From the Oosik Irregulars Department of Records:

As the Clan Invasion wore on and eventually ended with the Battle of Tukayyid, work for mercenaries was never in higher demand in the Inner Sphere. Despite decades of setbacks and a general decline in operational ability following the Succession Wars, the Clans inadvertently threw the Oosik Irregulars a lifeline: steady employment against a clear-and-present opponent.

Even more fortuitous, the Oosik's base of operations on Talisker lent it to deployments to a number of Clan-House borders, ranging from the Lyran-Falcon corridor anti-spinward of Tukayyid to the Combine-Bear-Nova Cat-Jaguar borders in the spinward reach. The everpresent threat of further Clan incursions led to contracts filling the Oosik's coffers rapidly, and the outfit's recruitment drive spending the influx of money nearly as quickly. By the time the ink had dried on the piles of contracts, Oosiks could be found along a number of Clan-held borders acting in garrison and second-line defensive formations.

YsWZM9gh.jpeg

The Golf lance of Third Company was one such Oosik formation, specializing in and most often tasked with "Dense Terrain Defense". It was this operational specialty that led to Golf's four pilots to refitting their 'Mechs largely for close-in work in urban and heavily obscured terrain.

hoISSP5h.jpeg

Leading the lance, and anchoring the formation by sheer dint of weight, Mechwarrior Syngyne's Johnny Gatlas is built for absolute close-range domination. Sporting a burst-fire AC/20, four Medium Pulse Lasers, and an explosive payload of twenty SRM tubes in five racks, the Gatlas was equipped to obliterate any 'Mech that crossed its path. With Clan salvage eventually trickling down following the Invasion and further skirmishes, Syngyne would be given the opportunity to replace the Gatlas's stock AC/20 with a Clan-spec Ultra AC/20. To deal with the added heat load of the rapid-fire weapon, the Irregular's Requisition Department sourced a pair of experimental Coolant Pods to equip to the 'Mech's heat sink system.

52XUeWGh.jpeg

Typically shadowing Syngyne's 'Mech was the UrbanMech of Mechwarrior Betsuni. Though most would scoff at a "trash can" being included in most Lances, Betsuni drove his chassis to results frequently outstripping its poor reputation. Once afforded the opportunity to customize the 'Mech, it was extensively reworked: replacing the main gun with a freshly-manufactured Rotary Autocannon-5, the backup laser with an ER Small Laser, and finding room to add a MASC system. Though the addition of the signal circuitry didn't add much raw speed to the chassis, the sudden bursts of agility it provided allowed Betsuni to surprise his targets. When Clan salvage became available, the weapons were upgraded again: with a minor bit of armor reconfiguration, the ER Small Laser was upgraded to a Clan ER Medium, and the Rotary cannon replaced by a Clanspec Ultra Autocannon-10. Though the main gun had potentially less overall damage capability, its hole-punching ability found great use against the heavily armored Clan 'mechs the Lance would face.

1Hn2HrTh.jpeg

Taking the third position in the Lance was Mechwarrior Mortious in his Blackjack. An import from the General Motors factory on the FedSuns planet of Talcott, its distant remove from its birthplace made upgrading the chassis difficult at first for the Irregulars. Mortious prized the 'Mech more for its maneuverability and jump jets over its armament, and its stock paired AC/2 configuration did little to contribute to the Lance's overall mission aside from rapid-fire plinking. With the addition of salvaged Clantech Mortious was afforded more tactical flexibility; the Clan LB 2-X cannons replacing the Inner Sphere models gave Mortious a crit-seeking tool, and the upgrade of two of the lasers to Pulse models added additional high fire-rate salvos.

5ckPpkgh.jpeg

The fourth slot in the lance was manned by Mechwarrior Maijinamuro in a highly-specialized Raven. Designed to provide sophisticated electronic warfare capabilities MaijinAmuro's position in the Lance's formation most often placed the 'Mech in the rear, which suited its Mechwarrior just fine. A pair of ER Large Lasers easily closed any range gaps the rear-guard position required. When Clan salvage became available, the 'Mech was flagged for a priority upgrade to replace its lasers with Clan equivalents. Boasting better specs, and more importantly lighter weight, this afforded more space for Heat Sinks for a better overall heat curve. This allowed Maijinamuro to stay in protracted exchanges longer, and thus provide more comprehensive coverage with the 'Mech's EW suite.

Golf Lance would perform admirably in the years leading up to and into the FedCom Civil War, helping to keep the Oosik Irregulars in regular contract payouts."

So the warriors of Golf decided to make me do the Phranken camo, and honestly I feel pretty good about it. A few more glamor shots, because I can:

Ht4GIhjh.jpeg

Really wanted to get clean shots of the cockpit-side artwork on the BJ. Fucking pain in the ass, it was!

Ygww9Qvh.jpeg

JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
  • BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    edited April 2022
    That has to be the most beautiful paint jobs I have ever seen. Ok, so I'm a bit biased since one of them is my ride.

Thank you for the great job on my Urbanmech and the rest of the lance. I love the detail you gave every single one of them, and the Blackjack's sides are a thing of beauty.

Edit: I also love the backstory as well. Just too perfect.

Betsuni on
    oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
    I am incredibly jealous of how good that orange looks over the blue and the Phra Ken detail. I've never managed to get orange to not look like shit (until I got an airbrush and can just cheat, lol)

wWuzwvJ.png
    edited April 2022
    That's Will Smith slapping Chris Rock isn't it, lol

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • AvalonGuardAvalonGuard Registered User regular
    Can recommend Pseudotech; it's only $3 and is a good forty-ish pages of outlandish video-gamey ideas to spice up a standard deathmatch lance fight. There are even rules for accommodating achievements into campaigns.

• BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    edited April 2022
    If I'm reading this right, it is going to be $3 for the PDF and probably more for a printed copy right? I'm actually tempted to get a printed copy just for the laughs.

Edit: Oh I see, the Print on Demand will include a PDF as well. So they're telling people to wait for that combo if you want the print version and digital version.

Betsuni on
    oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    I both love and appreciate that PseudoTech is just an in-universe Table Top version of a popular arcade game.

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
    Oh I am absolutely getting and doing a Pseudotech match

wWuzwvJ.png
    There's a nonzero chance I'm proposing a PseudoTech match on Solaris VII maps. Maximum gameification, please.

I’m picking up a Beginner’s Box today, for both the minis, the map, and terrain bits. It’s also for having ready-to-go noob level infrastructure a moments notice. Which may prove useful! There’s a chance we’ll be teaching some new players next week.

I understand that the Box comes with truncated record sheets for a few mechs that survive the transition to the quick start rules well; 100% heat efficiency or near enough to it, no or very little minimum range to worry about (no missile boats), succession wars era, no lostech, etc. Are there any suggestions for mechs that might be great for beginners to play as/against, that aren’t used in the box? I want to make sure we have minis for every mech on the field for maximum impact!

• IanatorIanator Gaze upon my works, ye mighty and facepalm.Registered User regular
    edited April 2022
    Next Sunday's game is gonna be a PseudoTech Urbie-off!
    I’m picking up a Beginner’s Box today, for both the minis, the map, and terrain bits. It’s also for having ready-to-go noob level infrastructure a moments notice. Which may prove useful! There’s a chance we’ll be teaching some new players next week.

I understand that the Box comes with truncated record sheets for a few mechs that survive the transition to the quick start rules well; 100% heat efficiency or near enough to it, no or very little minimum range to worry about (no missile boats), succession wars era, no lostech, etc. Are there any suggestions for mechs that might be great for beginners to play as/against, that aren’t used in the box? I want to make sure we have minis for every mech on the field for maximum impact!

In addition to the two plastic minis there are also a number of card standee 'Mechs and record sheets for them, giving you a bit more variety out of the box.

Ianator on
    steam_sig.png
    Twitch | Blizzard: Ianator#1479 | 3DS: Ianator - 1779 2336 5317 | FFXIV: Iana Ateliere (NA Sarg)
    Backlog Challenge List
    Ianator wrote: »

In addition to the two plastic minis there are also a number of card standee 'Mechs and record sheets for them, giving you a bit more variety out of the box.

True! I was thinking about trying to open the mech pool to other mechs in the event that the other players who were vets could have a bit more choice of what to play. For example, yeah, the token mechs include a Thunderbolt, but none of us own a Thunderbolt mini I’m sure. Not actually a problem, just wanted the first time to include actual minis. For the cool factor, you know?

• H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited April 2022
    You kids and your fancy plastic battlemech minis today, why in my day the starter box only had cardboard standees, and if you insisted on minis you had to buy metal ones from Ral Partha, who had only just stopped using lead a few years before! ;)

Now if you really know the history of tabletop Battletech you can probably place when I picked it up to the year, lol.

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
    edited April 2022
    Ianator wrote: »

True! I was thinking about trying to open the mech pool to other mechs in the event that the other players who were vets could have a bit more choice of what to play. For example, yeah, the token mechs include a Thunderbolt, but none of us own a Thunderbolt mini I’m sure. Not actually a problem, just wanted the first time to include actual minis. For the cool factor, you know?

The Battletech: A Game of Armored Combat box set comes with two Lances worth of mechs which are fairly well balanced. Two assaults, heavies, mediums and lights. Along with more maps and such. It is very much intended for new players. It is pretty common for people to start there or to go from Beginner's Box to this box set.

Axen on
  • ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    H3Knuckles wrote: »
    You kids and your fancy plastic battlemech minis today, why in my day the starter box only had cardboard standees, and if you insisted on minis you had to buy metal ones from Ral Partha, who had only just stopped using lead a few years before! ;)

Now if you really know the history of tabletop Battletech you can probably place when I picked it up to the year, lol.

4th edition, the box with the Atlas on the cover?

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited April 2022
    The year it came out, no less (1996). Any later would be more than 'a few years' after RP began switching to lead-free pewter.

I still really like some of the standee art from that edition (it doesn't compare to what's getting used these days, but it still looked cool), and it tends to be what I picture when thinking of certain mechs.
    bvvrdjoq2li4.jpg
    Also there's a really cool picture of the Dragon on the back of one of the books in it, which is why I always forget it has an elbow joint on the gun arm.
    dspjfsvcuzaj.jpg

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • IanatorIanator Gaze upon my works, ye mighty and facepalm.Registered User regular
    Qu2GeHT.jpg

Test models for my Crescent Hawks livery. Just need to figure out what kind of terrain I want the bases to be.

steam_sig.png
    Twitch | Blizzard: Ianator#1479 | 3DS: Ianator - 1779 2336 5317 | FFXIV: Iana Ateliere (NA Sarg)
    Backlog Challenge List
    Maybe Lunar for the base?

edited April 2022
    If I hadn't started another Jaguar star, I'd start my C.Hawks lance so we could compare notes. 😀

As for the base, I'd say something that contrasts the blue and grey paint job, or something muted that doesn't distract from it.

Nips on
  • ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    Yeah I remember really liking that Vindicator.

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
    edited April 2022
    When it comes to paint schemes for Mechs (and associated vehicles) I take a lot of inspiration from the fighter planes of the world. They are a fucking gold mine of ideas! From modern fighter jet camo schemes to the paint jobs on Trainers to planes of the past bedecked in almost medieval heraldry it is an endless fountain! That's not even including the squadron decals and kill counters and all the other "accessories" that go on em!

In fact having thought about all this far more than any sane person should I would strongly argue that the Mechs of BattleTech have much more in common with modern jet fighters than they do modern battle tanks. Despite the fact that "walking tanks" is a pretty common descriptor when people talk about BattleTech's Mechs. Even the "rock star" status of a fighter pilot is very similar to how MechWarriors are often seen by the public within the setting.

edit- I should add that yes I am aware that early BattleTech took heavily from Macross/RoboTech which itself was very much inspired by fighter jets. I am just uncertain if the BT creators knowingly ran with the theme or just accidentally'd themselves.

Axen on
  • HydroSqueegeeHydroSqueegee ULTRACAT!!!™®© Registered User regular
    Axen wrote: »
    When it comes to paint schemes for Mechs (and associated vehicles) I take a lot of inspiration from the fighter planes of the world. They are a fucking gold mine of ideas! From modern fighter jet camo schemes to the paint jobs on Trainers to planes of the past bedecked in almost medieval heraldry it is an endless fountain! That's not even including the squadron decals and kill counters and all the other "accessories" that go on em!

In fact having thought about all this far more than any sane person should I would strongly argue that the Mechs of BattleTech have much more in common with modern jet fighters than they do modern battle tanks. Despite the fact that "walking tanks" is a pretty common descriptor when people talk about BattleTech's Mechs. Even the "rock star" status of a fighter pilot is very similar to how MechWarriors are often seen by the public within the setting.

It takes a certain swaggering dick kind of confidence and personality to be a fighter pilot. Makes sense it would translate to Mech jocks as well.

Old house standards and colors from the old days work well too for schemes.

kx3klFE.png
    Axen wrote: »

It takes a certain swaggering dick kind of confidence and personality to be a fighter pilot. Makes sense it would translate to Mech jocks as well.

Old house standards and colors from the old days work well too for schemes.

That is one of the fun things about BattleTech, when it comes to painting stuff you can take inspiration from anything and it works. Hell, I did several Lances in a paint scheme inspired by early Italian renaissance fashion! There is no right or wrong answer, there is no "standard" when it comes to painting stuff in BattleTech. You wanna do a Lance in psychedelic tie-dye? Friggin go ahead! You can say they are a MechWarriors that want to be seen on the battlefield. Even that has some basis in history. The dressing to be noticed part, not so much the tie-dye part.

And then there's me, who paints everything in industrial greys nearly indistinguishable from the plastic or resin underneath. And also blues because I like blue.

steam_sig.png
    Backlog Challenge List
    edited April 2022
    And then there's me who, outside of Oosiks, is painting virtually his whole collection in canon schemes and colors.

So many schemes and colors.

Also apparently I hate myself because I keep picking the grey ones to work on.

Nips on
  • NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    I mean, I was looking at gray schemes for my Clan (Smoke Jaguars) and IS (Genyosha) mechs.

Still considering other IS units, but the only other really strikingly different color scheme is Sword of Light and painting that much red is…woof.

I painted a Jaguars star and a Ryuken lance concurrently, then the Oosiks lance above, and now I'm over to working on another Jaguar lance alongside some Grey Death units.

Like I said, grey and hating myself.

Nobody wrote: »
    I mean, I was looking at gray schemes for my Clan (Smoke Jaguars) and IS (Genyosha) mechs.

Still considering other IS units, but the only other really strikingly different color scheme is Sword of Light and painting that much red is…woof.

To save your sanity I'd prime them in Red to start. With a rattle can if that is an option for you.

ii7tYXQ.jpg

Meet the lance proper! Now I get to wait a week before I can visit my woodworker friend start painting all my other minis >.>

steam_sig.png
    Backlog Challenge List