As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

If it's blue, it must be MEGA MAN(-esque)!

• Options
    McMoogleMcMoogle Registered User regular
    Finally, Megaman x FF14.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    edited December 2021
    Ok, how have I never seen the cover of this? This is amazing (click for full image):

Whoever designed that DVD cover has more love for the series than the writers of that cartoon :P

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    The excellent What Happened series took a deep dive into the development of Mega Man Legends 3, and the dark times for the Blue Bomber in 2010-2011 in general. Informative yet depressing.

https://youtu.be/fuLHwfO0xMI

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    At least Mega Man remains influential in indies and projects from smaller companies.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    McMoogleMcMoogle Registered User regular
    Hmm I must've blocked all references to maverick hunter from my memory. Honestly, that game concept seems pretty alright to me these days.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    Warlock82 wrote: »
    Ok, how have I never seen the cover of this? This is amazing (click for full image):

Whoever designed that DVD cover has more love for the series than the writers of that cartoon :P

It's too bad that Mega Man X episode was never anything more than a one-off glimpse at what could have been.

• Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited March 2022
    LBD_Nytetrayn on
    qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    How does an ebay seller have a 'lot of 30' of a 2 year old game? What, did they 'fall of the back of the truck'?

If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    H3Knuckles wrote: »
    How does an ebay seller have a 'lot of 30' of a 2 year old game? What, did they 'fall of the back of the truck'?

Store clearancing out unsold games, guy buys them all up and then resells for profit.

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    edited April 2022
    My latest haul. Now there's only one left to complete the set.

Oh, and Kirby's there, too.

Also:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3icCimtZdLI

LBD_Nytetrayn on
  • Options
    Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    edited April 2022
    Do you still have to "tag" enemies in Azure to fight them?

Combat was really weird in the first game which kind of turned me off Gunvolt despite all the other good MMZ vibes.

Dr. Chaos on
    Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • Options
    edited April 2022
    Dr. Chaos wrote: »

Combat was really weird in the first game which kind of turned me off Gunvolt despite all the other good MMZ vibes.

I'm not sure about the third one or how it works, it looks like you might.

I'm really much more a fan of how Copen's works in Gunvolt 2 and the Gunvolt Chronicles series. It's like the inverse of Mighty No. 9, and it just works so well.

Bonus content for today:

LBD_Nytetrayn on
  • Options
    edited April 2022
    The whole tag>kill loop is kind of the core to Gunvolt, yeah. Copen is a neat variation on it though, since he just wants to kick off an enemy to mark them and then he starts unloading homing bullets (or subweapons, because he does the mega man copy thing too, while Gunvolt just gets new guns instead)

Polaritie on
  • Options
    edited April 2022
    Polaritie wrote: »
    The whole tag>kill loop is kind of the core to Gunvolt, yeah. Copen is a neat variation on it though, since he just wants to kick off an enemy to mark them and then he starts unloading homing bullets (or subweapons, because he does the mega man copy thing too, while Gunvolt just gets new guns instead)
    That sounds a lil less boring for sure.

Copen is the spinoff stuff, right? I have heard those sort of fixed some aspects of the series for some people.

Dr. Chaos on
  • Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    That sounds a lil less boring for sure.

Copen is the spinoff stuff, right? I have heard those sort of fixed some aspects of the series for some people.

iX is directly related to the Gunvolt games, but its exact relation is considered a big spoiler component of iX 1 so you'll want to avoid digging too deep on that until you get to play it. The gameplay though is more like the Copen mode in Gunvolt 2 so if you liked that better than Gunvolt you'll probably enjoy iX more than you will Gunvolt 3.

• Options
    edited April 2022
    Without saying too much, I finished iX 2 earlier, and... starting it was a little rough, but I really got into it by the end. (And there are multiple, it turns out.)

I'm kind of lamenting not pre-ordering it on LRG, as well as the first one.

Oh, and here's your Mega content for the day, from the guy who made "Mega Man 2.5D":

https://youtu.be/dtRL5kZpCF4

LBD_Nytetrayn on
  • Options
    Without saying too much, I finished iX 2 earlier, and... starting it was a little rough, but I really got into it by the end. (And there are multiple, it turns out.)

Oh, and here's your Mega content for the day, from the guy who made "Mega Man 2.5D":

There's two things iX 2 does very, very wrong.

1) Limiting Copen's dashes. He feels very clunky compared to Gunvolt 2 and iX 1
    2) Locking an ending behind hard mode. Which has lives, and forced restarts of the level, and bosses are kind of brutally hard (and you can't buy upgrades, and boss weaknesses are shuffled because fuck you that's why).

• Options
    edited April 2022

2) Locking an ending behind hard mode. Which has lives, and forced restarts of the level, and bosses are kind of brutally hard (and you can't buy upgrades, and boss weaknesses are shuffled because fuck you that's why).

1) Agreed. I'm not a huge fan of that, but as I got further into the game, what is there grew on me more. Not as good as the original, but good in its own right. Kind of like if you wanted an alternate character that shared some traits with the OG while adding something, but not sharing SO much, you know?

2) Not a fan of that, myself, but according to the Azure Striker Wiki, "Version 1.4.0 introduced Assist Mode for Hard Mode, which sets player lives to 200 by default, enables Healing, and activates the ability Medley (can't be turned off). This mode is displayed on all score results screens." I haven't tried it myself yet, but it sounds like that might make it more manageable?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_duUcR3FyGA

LBD_Nytetrayn on
  • Options

Same honestly. This is why I never checked out any games beyond the first one. The mechanic always felt weird to me and I didn't like it.

As a side note:

I should really freaking play Mega Man 11 at some point. It's just been sitting there since launch. I have it but I've been too lazy to put the cart in the system :P

• Options
    edited April 2022
    Story and characters ain' that bad.

Gunvolt himself is abit of a badass without being edgy or emo (so far atleast).

Dr. Chaos on
  • Options
    edited April 2022
    Copen's version feels better generally I think. You have your buster, it shoots ahead and the damage is fine. But if you find an opening to tackle it becomes homing and hits harder. You have your subweapons, which do a thing, and then usually do a variant of the thing aimed right at your target when locked on.

That said, the original game had more of a thing with using accessories to get some extra mobility options, upgrading them to be cheaper on GV's energy pool, etc. And GV doesn't have to be risky with the dash in to tag, he can focus more on pure evasion since he has some really good bullet patterns to tag (and just don't overuse flash field because the slow fall is also used to dodge some stuff).

Polaritie on
  • Options
    edited April 2022
    Dr. Chaos on
  • Options

1) Agreed. I'm not a huge fan of that, but as I got further into the game, what is there grew on me more. Not as good as the original, but good in its own right. Kind of like if you wanted an alternate character that shared some traits with the OG while adding something, but not sharing SO much, you know?

2) Not a fan of that, myself, but according to the Azure Striker Wiki, "Version 1.4.0 introduced Assist Mode for Hard Mode, which sets player lives to 200 by default, enables Healing, and activates the ability Medley (can't be turned off). This mode is displayed on all score results screens." I haven't tried it myself yet, but it sounds like that might make it more manageable?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_duUcR3FyGA

Tried that tonight, and verdict? I have no fucking idea how anyone was expected to beat the final boss without it. It's a slog enough in normal mode, but taking away its weakness entirely (I tried every weapon), and being multiple phases without a checkpoint? That's completely unclearable on 1.0 for 99.9% of people I'd say, especially with the demoralizing slogging back through the final level every three deaths (unless you farmed 1 ups, because that whole system is stupid). But you basically will die in 3 hits, total, across all the phases. And the last bit is a ridiculous slog of way. too. much. HP. with a limited vulnerability window before you have to do a bunch of damage to make it vulnerable again.

I beat the whole bonus boss rush/extra ending on iX 1 without too much difficulty, but the "as intended" on this is stupid. Full stop.

• Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    There is some kind of difficulty fetishist who works at Inti Creates, every time they are given decision making authority, it is a mistake. All of their "regular difficulty" games are much more fun to play.

• Options
    edited April 2022
    Man, that's brutal. D=

I really do hate it when "true" endings are locked up behind that kind of crazy.

Anyway, tough guy, coming through:

LBD_Nytetrayn on
  • Options
    edited April 2022
    Some of those challenge requirements are absolutely nuts. I've done a few for synth materials but no way am I going for some of the advanced stuff like S+. Thats abit beyond me or rather the time I would be willing to invest.

Air hopping and dashing feels great but it feels really unnecessary to make them use up EP, especially a good chunk of it aswell.

Dr. Chaos on
  • Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    Warlock82 wrote: »

Same honestly. This is why I never checked out any games beyond the first one. The mechanic always felt weird to me and I didn't like it.

As a side note:

I should really freaking play Mega Man 11 at some point. It's just been sitting there since launch. I have it but I've been too lazy to put the cart in the system :P

Mega Man 11 is ridiculously fun. The gear system brings in some new neat mechanics. The Robot Masters are all great and have pretty neat designs.

It's funny because Mighty No. 9 was supposed to be the answer to Capcom not doing any Mega Man games. But it turned out awful...like beyond awful. Mega Man 11 comes out and is smartly designed, nice to look at, and super fun. That kinda blew up in Inafune's face there a bit.

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    I really want some more MM11 goodness. Either a proper MM12, or even remakes of the good NES games in the new engine, with the right-stick weapon select. Seriously, that feature had me utilizing my whole arsenal in every level.

• Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    I'm all for a Mega Man 12. I keep hoping it'll happen at some point.

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    Man, that's brutal. D=

I really do hate it when "true" endings are locked up behind that kind of crazy.

Anyway, tough guy, coming through:

Shit Brickhouse Man.

• Options
    edited April 2022
    There is some kind of difficulty fetishist who works at Inti Creates, every time they are given decision making authority, it is a mistake. All of their "regular difficulty" games are much more fun to play.

I thought Mega Man 9 was very well tuned for a difficult game (Inti Creates worked on that). Then Mega Man 10 reverted to using bullshit. To me it's such a delicate balance because a lot of people seem to think frustrating/unfair = good difficulty. It doesn't. You can make stuff difficult without it being cheap or unfair. Mega Man 9 I felt really walked this line well. It's really hard but never unfairly so. Stuff is telegraphed well, there's always patterns and little tricks to tackling stuff. Level design is very good. The fact that game included achievements for beating levels without getting hit is a testament to that I feel. By contrast I felt like Mega Man 10 was a lot of unavoidable hits and shit coming out of nowhere, frustrating level design, etc.

Warlock82 on
  • Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    I think 10 proved that you can't go back to the 8-bit well too often or it runs dry. 9 was so, SO good, the best in the series, hands down. And I think the long gap between 8 and 9 helped that.

• Options
    edited April 2022
    Wasn't really a fan of 11, its alright but its one of the lesser entries for me. MM9 and 10 hit that sweet spot for me.

At the time, I was just happy it existed but my opinion of the game gets lesser over time. Not a bad game by any means though.

Dr. Chaos on
  • Options
    Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular
    I might need to replay it but mm9 absolutely had some fuck you moments. Those bots that flew down and pulled you into spikes come to mind

• Options
    edited April 2022
    Trying Mega Man X Dive for the first time.

Visually it looks better than I was expecting, character models look really solid. Is there a way to turn off auto aim? Its really bumming me out. That and the tiny bite sized stages are my biggest complaint so far but I get it, its designed as a mobile game first.

Sigma and Vile being playable in this along with a Rathlos themed armor set for X means I'm obligated to love it forever.

Dr. Chaos on
  • Options
    I liked Mega Man 10, felt like fewer one-hit deaths to avoid than 9.

Semi-related to topic, for the art fans:

Trying Mega Man X Dive for the first time.

Visually it looks better than I was expecting, character models look really solid. Is there a way to turn off auto aim? Its really bumming me out. That and the tiny bite sized stages are my biggest complaint so far but I get it, its designed as a mobile game first.

Sigma and Vile being playable in this along with a Rathlos themed armor set for X means I'm obligated to love it forever.

I'm pretty sure there's a way to disable auto-lock... but I can't tell you right now, because it's undergoing server maintenance. D=

• Options
    edited April 2022
    I found it. It was in the options but only visible when its pulled up during an actual stage which is kind of weird.

Vile having a giant minigun that shoots red lasers is now a part of my headcanon.

Dr. Chaos on
  • Options
    NitsuaNitsua Gloucester, VARegistered User regular
    Kai_San wrote: »
    I might need to replay it but mm9 absolutely had some fuck you moments. Those bots that flew down and pulled you into spikes come to mind

The elephant with a ball sections can also fuck right off.