As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Board Games] Pandemic in a Pandemic

19495969798100»

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Friend just invited me over to figure out the new Dark Tower game on Sunday. I am very excited to check out this giant mass of boxes!

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    ironzergironzerg Registered User regular
    edited April 2022
    That's awesome. It's really not hard to learn. I hope you have fun!

Also. RE: Kickstarters...I got sent this by another friend who was addicted to KS and has way too many games he doesn't play.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bpRtC_apXGU&ab_channel=Actualol

There's some good advice in there. It's already saved me a few hundred bucks since I watched it :smiley:

Number 8: Starts at about 13:25.

ironzerg on
  • Options
    TertieeTertiee Registered User regular
    Athenor wrote: »
    I just saw that the Terraforming Mars card game, Ares Expedition, has its expansions up on Kickstarter... along with a big box option.

I really needed to evaluate my life last night when looking at a big box for Dungeon Drop. I just.. I just have to walk away.

Can you recommend Terraforming Mars Ares Expedition? From a glance it looked like the original board game, minus the board, and an added RftG-like phase selection mechanic.

• Options
    PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular
    Tertiee wrote: »
    I just saw that the Terraforming Mars card game, Ares Expedition, has its expansions up on Kickstarter... along with a big box option.

I really needed to evaluate my life last night when looking at a big box for Dungeon Drop. I just.. I just have to walk away.

Can you recommend Terraforming Mars Ares Expedition? From a glance it looked like the original board game, minus the board, and an added RftG-like phase selection mechanic.

That's exactly what it is. It's quite difficult to track accidental or intentional cheating even in 1v1, and it's not very interactive, but we were happy enough with it

sig.gif
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    I haven't played Ares Expedition, hence the fighting off urges to buy the KS stuff. I honestly have enough deckbuilders.

Speaking of, FFG just announced their next Marvel Champions pack!

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2022/4/1/hamming-it-up/

mc30_article-box.png

mc30_cardfan.png

Soooo.... yeah! There's enough signs and detail here that this is a real product, sorta like Barkham Horror became. As evidenced by the... regular cards!

mc30_cardfan_2.png

Also, as is usual he leaked in some online places earlier, so it has been verified as real. And supposedly means whatever is coming next is gonna be really, really exciting.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    GnizmoGnizmo Registered User regular
    The Marvel Champions stuff gets leaked way early due to retailer listings and as far as I know are always solid. The rest of the wave has the heroes are out there for those interested. The next wave is what I am really dying for, but as with everything it depends a lot on if that section of Marvel's catalogue really does it for you. It also depends on who they use as none of the heroes are leaked yet I think.

• Options
    DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    Gnizmo wrote: »
    The Marvel Champions stuff gets leaked way early due to retailer listings and as far as I know are always solid. The rest of the wave has the heroes are out there for those interested. The next wave is what I am really dying for, but as with everything it depends a lot on if that section of Marvel's catalogue really does it for you. It also depends on who they use as none of the heroes are leaked yet I think.

I've been googling and checking out the regular sites (Hall of Heroes) and I can't find leaks past Spider Ham. Can you point me in the right direction? Champions dragon craves leaks!

Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Same. After 10 years of putting up with FFG's BS, I'm kind of.. over it? I mean.. I still support designers and folks there, but I've seen and heard so many things in recent years. It's not full on boycott level, but I've never agreed with their design philosophies or long times to turnaround, and I have absolutely no love for Asmodee as a parent company anymore.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    GnizmoGnizmo Registered User regular
    edited April 2022
    It is from a Discord channel. I am bad at Discord so hopefully this will work. https://discord.gg/zMcS2jTD They have a leaks channel that gets spammed in weird chat, but has useful pins.

In case it doesn't work I will just spoil here the next things known.
    Sp//Dr is the last hero of this wave. I know a lot of people are pumped for this, but I am not a huge Spider-fan. She will at least be an interesting hero. The next expansion is the real win. Mutant Genesis. I have been waiting for this since I first heard of the game.

That takes it into the later parts of this year so plenty of lead time still. All the same I am dying to know more myself.

Gnizmo on
  • Options
    Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular

It's okay. I think it's a lot better than the original boardgame, mainly because it's a lot faster. It isn't fast enough to really be a favorite for me, and the phase selection is nowhere near as interesting here as it is in RFTG (you almost always choose the thing that you really need and sometimes get a bonus from what other people choose, there's hardly any actual way to play against what other people are doing), and it's largely just who draws stuff that combos wins (much like the original game). The solo is fun, and it's pleasant overall, and it's cheap enough to be worth a shot if you like that kind of thing.

The expansions seem wildly miscalculated to me, as they cost double what the base game costs. The base game already fits in a tiny corner of the base game box, so offering a bigger box with the expansions just makes me go what? If you have the retail version of the bar game the expansions also come with stuff that won't match. It's just a big whatever. I'll pick it up retail eventually if it's cheap.

• Options
    DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    Ah_Pook wrote: »

It's okay. I think it's a lot better than the original boardgame, mainly because it's a lot faster. It isn't fast enough to really be a favorite for me, and the phase selection is nowhere near as interesting here as it is in RFTG (you almost always choose the thing that you really need and sometimes get a bonus from what other people choose, there's hardly any actual way to play against what other people are doing), and it's largely just who draws stuff that combos wins (much like the original game). The solo is fun, and it's pleasant overall, and it's cheap enough to be worth a shot if you like that kind of thing.

The expansions seem wildly miscalculated to me, as they cost double what the base game costs. The base game already fits in a tiny corner of the base game box, so offering a bigger box with the expansions just makes me go what? If you have the retail version of the bar game the expansions also come with stuff that won't match. It's just a big whatever. I'll pick it up retail eventually if it's cheap.

Yeah, I thought it was just okay, too. It's by no means a bad game, but I'm having a harder time fitting it into my large collection. I did like the action selection, though, and it is significantly faster than the original game.

I may prefer the grander nature of the original, however. I like its broader area control mechanism. Yes, Ares Expedition takes much less time to play, but does that matter if I don't engage with the puzzle nearly as much?

Tangentially related, I put my name down for a copy of Ark Nova. I keep seeing/reading lots of opinions that it kills Terraforming Mars for them. I might keep that order if/when it comes into my FLGS. (I'm also waiting on Return to Dark Tower. You are all bad influences.)

Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • Options
    JonBobJonBob Registered User regular
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    I'm absolutely thrilled that Nemesis is both digitizing and getting an FPS game based on it.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    I was going through storage and apparently I have the dark souls board game with every single expansion from the original Kickstarter all in the shrink wrap.

This stuff worth anything?

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    Dizzy DDizzy D NetherlandsRegistered User regular
    This is the old thread. Look 2 posts up for the new thread.

Steam/Origin: davydizzy
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    MegaMan001 wrote: »
    I was going through storage and apparently I have the dark souls board game with every single expansion from the original Kickstarter all in the shrink wrap.

@MegaMan001 The KS exclusive stuff may be but otherwise not really

• Options
    TimFijiTimFiji Beast Lord Halfway2AnywhereRegistered User regular
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    MegaMan001 wrote: »

@MegaMan001 The KS exclusive stuff may be but otherwise not really

I don't know. I had the base game. I opened it, but never opened the sealed cards and stuff. A year later and never playing it I was still able to ebay it for double the asking price.

Switch: SW-2322-2047-3148 Steam: Archpriest
      Selling Board Games for Medical Bills