As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The [Job] thread brought to you by WAP.

HefflingHeffling No PicEverRegistered User regular
edited April 2022 in Social Entropy++
Going through some networking refresher videos to prep for my next cert test, and this perfectly pleasant, slightly rotund middle-aged white dude is talking about wireless access points, and is spending a lot of time mentioning how flexible and useful WAPs are, and the best way to position your WAP, and how to maximize WAP strength, and I just cannot stop giggling like a schoolboy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tKr7kPjzdFM

*edit* Updating OP with good news, everyone!
Well, the middle-age white dude talking about WAP did his job, passed my cert exam and since it'll take a couple days for my next class to be available, think I'm gonna have some drinks to celebrate!

Thank you, dorky IT instructor who made an alarming number of South Park and Austin Powers jokes in his videos!

Heffling on

• Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    Based on the conversation in the last thread, I didn't see anyone post that they have a job in finance in some capacity. I would be curious of people's perspectives (feel free to DM if you don't want to publicly post about it) if anyone else here has a similar finance/analyst role (I'm seeing more "financial operations" roles when I look around).

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    edited April 2022
    I'll be honest... The most prominent former I can think of who worked in finance/ the stock market has been banned from the forums for a long time now.

Edited to fix the really stupid typo from phone posting.

Athenor on
    He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    stimtokolosstimtokolos Registered User regular
    edited April 2022
    Was it kako(modeus)?
    I think they were a software engineer doing stick market shit.
    I've also done stick market software shit for ~9 years.

Right now I'm just about to spin back up from 1 day a week to 3 days.
    I'm currently working remote for a job I had in Sydney from Melbourne (both before and after this ramp up).

Keeping my original Sydney salary pro-rata with 0% expectation for me to ever return to the office is making it pretty hard for me to want to search for a new job.
    My heart is not massively in finance or whatever but then I enumerate what getting a new job looks like:
    - I would have to interview. A lot of interviews are shit.
    - Lots of other jobs have toxic work environments, this one is pretty relaxed for me these days
    - I would have to work 60% extra hours for the same or worse pay
    - I would probably have to go to the office which even more hours and limits where I can live comfortably.
    - My dog would be lonely when I'm at work.
    - The thought of proving myself to a whole new set of engineers is not appealing.

So I think I'll keep my current job and try get my shit together enough to do something meaningful with the extra time off I have.
    I might idly browse just in case something truly amazing shows up.

stimtokolos on
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    Athenor wrote: »
    I'll be honest... The most prominent former I can think of who worked in finance/ the stock market has been banned from the forums for a long time now.

Pretty sure I know who you're talking about and wasn't he a very high end tax planner (/lawyer)? Which of course, means he was heavily involved and knowledgeable about various finance vehicles and stock stuff.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    Oghulk wrote: »
    Based on the conversation in the last thread, I didn't see anyone post that they have a job in finance in some capacity. I would be curious of people's perspectives (feel free to DM if you don't want to publicly post about it) if anyone else here has a similar finance/analyst role (I'm seeing more "financial operations" roles when I look around).

I work with a bunch of em. What are you specifically curious about? Depending on the area, it can be anything from accounting+ to dedicated fishing expeditions in financial data to company due diligence and everything in between.
    Analyst and financial analyst job classifications are overused in industry so if you have some sample positions there may be more help.

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular

Pretty sure I know who you're talking about and wasn't he a very high end tax planner (/lawyer)? Which of course, means he was heavily involved and knowledgeable about various finance vehicles and stock stuff.

SKFM? I think that's right.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    Anesthesia has become an even more mobile and flexible job, where if you're willing to travel you can make hundreds of thousands of dollars more a year than you would in an urban area.

As a result, my hospital has launched into a series of "Stay Interviews" to find out why people work at this particular brand / location.

The opening question was "What brings you to work every day?" And when I said "Money." it really sucked the air out of the room. But that's what I planned to do. I feel like management believes people should be proud to work for <REDACTED> and I think that's ridiculous. It's a billion dollar corporation, they don't love is or anything.

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    Yeah I had a similar moment in my 1 on 1 with my manager a couple months ago when he asked what I most looked forward to at work every day and I said 5 o'clock.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    My aunt is a highly experienced NICU nurse and she's currently tooling around the US in a mobile home racking up crazy bonus multipliers on the salary she'd be making if she stuck with one hospital the way she did for the last thirty years.

She's been asked (most recently by her sister's shitty new husband last Thanksgiving) how she can justify extorting hospitals to take care of critically ill infants. Her answer is that there are sick babies everywhere and the real question is why are so many hospitals driving out their staff and paying mercenary wages for visiting nurses instead.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    Sometimes it makes an amount of sense, like a lot of rural regional hospitals in places where a lot of nurses don't actually want to live long term, but will gladly live there for 3 months and fat paycheck.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Sales/Marketing: We want all these fancy amazingly cool third-party tools that load their javascript stuff on our site!

Also Sales/Marketing: Users are complaining that the site is loading slowly!

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Jedoc wrote: »
    My aunt is a highly experienced NICU nurse and she's currently tooling around the US in a mobile home racking up crazy bonus multipliers on the salary she'd be making if she stuck with one hospital the way she did for the last thirty years.

She's been asked (most recently by her sister's shitty new husband last Thanksgiving) how she can justify extorting hospitals to take care of critically ill infants. Her answer is that there are sick babies everywhere and the real question is why are so many hospitals driving out their staff and paying mercenary wages for visiting nurses instead.

Also nurses and teachers should get goddamn paid.

• Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    Goddamned Monday again, what the hell

• Options
    ElaroElaro Apologetic Registered User regular

No one can stop the march* of time!

I know, I tried!

: April of time, as of last friday...

Children's rights are human rights.
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    It's amazing how much a 9AM doctor's appointment takes away your will to work for the 15-25 minutes prior to heading out to get prepped.

If I were not WFH today I'd have just come in late, but.. eh. :)

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    KadithKadith Registered User regular
    it's a good thing that the department that handles comms both internally and externally sent me a meeting invite for our update briefing for the line crew
    considering that it was an hour earlier than my normal starting time, caught the reminder just in time to show up on time

not so good is that department person not showing up to the meeting???

zkHcp.jpg
  • Options
    TayaTaya Registered User regular
    Turn on my work phone, quickly check my voicemail, turn phone off again. Not dealing with phone calls today.

• Options
    TurksonTurkson Near the mountains of ColoradoRegistered User regular
    Monday reminder!

Don't talk to the cops.

Signed,
    A cop

oh h*ck
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular

yeah who's fucking idea was this

• Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    Magic Pink wrote: »

When I find out whose fault it is, they're gonna pay.

• Options
    QuantumTurkQuantumTurk Registered User regular
    Turkson wrote: »
    Monday reminder!

Don't talk to the cops.

Signed,
    A cop

You a cop? If you are you have to....wait. ok.

• Options
    TynnanTynnan seldom correct, never unsure Registered User regular
    Turkson wrote: »
    Monday reminder!

Don't talk to the cops.

Signed,
    A cop

You a cop? If you are you have to....wait. ok.

Sounds like the kind of thing a Business Man would say…

• Options
    ElaroElaro Apologetic Registered User regular
    Orca wrote: »

When I find out whose fault it is, they're gonna pay.

Presumably Neolithic humans?

Children's rights are human rights.
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    I got one more WW1 lesson again today and I am done for the year. Go to get my flashdrive with everything on it. Not in my office. Huh. Must have accidentally taken it home. No problem. The flashdrive was the hard backup I made from Onedrive just in case anything happened to Onedrive.

Go open the folder on the Onedrive. Oh. When I made the flashdrive, instead of copying the files like I asked, Onedrive apparently just moved them all and deleted the originals. Cool. Now that lost flashdrive has the only copy.

Cool cool.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    KadithKadith Registered User regular
    I got one more WW1 lesson again today and I am done for the year. Go to get my flashdrive with everything on it. Not in my office. Huh. Must have accidentally taken it home. No problem. The flashdrive was the hard backup I made from Onedrive just in case anything happened to Onedrive.

Go open the folder on the Onedrive. Oh. When I made the flashdrive, instead of copying the files like I asked, Onedrive apparently just moved them all and deleted the originals. Cool. Now that lost flashdrive has the only copy.

Cool cool.

You might be able to find it in the Recycle bin if you access Onedrive from the web portal.

zkHcp.jpg
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Kadith wrote: »

Cool cool.

You might be able to find it in the Recycle bin if you access Onedrive from the web portal.

Oh I moved it last school year.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    I just got an email from HR about donating to the "Sick leave bank" - a place where you can donate a day of your sick leave hours to a general pool that anyone can use for medical emergencies when their usual sick days run out.

And I'm just like.. damnit I hate my country that this has to be a thing.

• Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    I just got an email from HR about donating to the "Sick leave bank" - a place where you can donate a day of your sick leave hours to a general pool that anyone can use for medical emergencies when their usual sick days run out.

And I'm just like.. damnit I hate my country that this has to be a thing.

Yeah, when I heard about that my reaction was just "couldn't you...give them time paid time off?"

• Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    My workplace is fairly generous with PTO, but you know, and even has separate PTO bank if you're medically unable to work, but that one pays like 60% of one's typical salary, so they also have the PTO donation things

It is super gross

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    The real danger of such a system is what if you donate to the pool and then it all gets used up by Kevin who is always microwaving leftover tuna casserole in the break room?

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    edited April 2022
    Hello one worker (conservative) told another worker (liberal) who is home sholling that he doesn't want her kind in his town and now we're trying to explain to a very confused and naive new dutch hire while HR frantically flips through binders.

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    Hello one worker (conservative) told another worker (liberal) who is home shopling that he doesn't want her kind in his town and now we're trying to explain to a very confused and naive new dutch hire while HR frantically flips through binders.

A Dutch kid who doesn't understand identity politics? Then they weren't paying attention to Dutch politics either.

• Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    Guess I should actually post it in the NEW thread:

Spent 90 minutes on a three way call between an 85 year old doctor and American Express trying to help her file a dispute after she gave a phone scammer $9000 over the phone.

None of this is in any way related to work, and honestly probably should be her grandkids’ job, but whatever. I’ll earn those brownie points for the IT department.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Hello one worker (conservative) told another worker (liberal) who is home shopling that he doesn't want her kind in his town and now we're trying to explain to a very confused and naive new dutch hire while HR frantically flips through binders.

The new hire doesn't understand how that's racist or

• Options
    DarkPrimus wrote: »

what exactly is home shopling

• Options
    FlarneFlarne Registered User regular

I think it’s a small sentient mushroom that runs a store inside your house

• Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular

A typo for home shopping.

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    I assume from the context that Sammich mistyped "home shopping"

• Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    My thoughts are too big for any mere keyboard

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    so why was he talking to a worker that was at home shopping? and how did it end up in racist dialogue territory?