As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Hearthstone] Wizzing Toys for Everyone

• The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    ahhh good ol' BGs, easiest first of my life thwarted by 4 worst possible cleave hits

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • bwaniebwanie Posting into the void Registered User regular
    edited April 2022
    Had a very nice Tickatus run. Actually had a gameplan. Go quilboars and set up a neverending stream of gems, powerlevel to Brann, win big prizes. and i actually pulled it off:
    (everything with divine shield + the most right amalgadon has windfury)

thatlldo.png
    And yes, Murlocs were in the game. I lost one round to them before i got my fourth doggysnack and second amalgadon.

bwanie on
    Yh6tI4T.jpg
  • Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    they really need to just get rid of poison; every game I play in the 7500 range winds up with a big poison/murloc board any time they're in the lobby

I know people think it's important to have around as a 'catchup' type of mechanic, but right now it's dumb because poison/shield is just the go-to thing to shoot for anyway

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    edited April 2022
    there's just not enough variety in what you can do in battlegrounds. with the constant addition of heroes and battle buddies, it seems clear that their goal for adding variety is to change the ways you get to the regimented endgame options, rather than adding a great variety of endgame options

I feel like I'm a little mean to Hearthstone about this but it really is somewhere where it shows its limitations compared to other autobattlers, which rebalance faster, have more build options, and shuttle in and out completely different tribes far more frequently. There are times where the best thing going for Battlegrounds is "it's in the client of the other game I'm playing".

I needed anime to post. on
    liEt3nH.png
    edited April 2022
    there's just not enough variety in what you can do in battlegrounds. with the constant addition of heroes and battle buddies, it seems clear that their goal for adding variety is to change the ways you get to the regimented endgame options, rather than adding a great variety of endgame options

I feel like I'm a little mean to Hearthstone about this but it really is somewhere where it shows its limitations compared to other autobattlers, which rebalance faster, have more build options, and shuttle in and out completely different tribes far more frequently. There are times where the best thing going for Battlegrounds is "it's in the client of the other game I'm playing".

and sometimes i don't really want 10.000 options.

bwanie on
    Yh6tI4T.jpg
    edited April 2022
    they really need to just get rid of poison; every game I play in the 7500 range winds up with a big poison/murloc board any time they're in the lobby

I know people think it's important to have around as a 'catchup' type of mechanic, but right now it's dumb because poison/shield is just the go-to thing to shoot for anyway

it's where the ghouls/big cleaves come into play. It's just really hard to get into late game these days.

bwanie on
    Yh6tI4T.jpg
  • RoyallyFlushedRoyallyFlushed Registered User regular
    I'm only around ~6500 range right now but all my recent losses have been to either poisonous murlocs or divine shielded poisonous amalgadons. Honestly it's not even worth going for a tribal build in the endgame imo, it's just a midgame crutch to see if you can live long enough to generate the broken amalgadons or not. On rare occasion you might be able to pop off with a tribe fast enough to beat a lobby before they poison spam you to death otherwise, but those are going to be extremely few and far between.

The balance right now is particularly bad given that murlocs can start rolling hard with triples at tier 4 into discovering Brann, whereas you have other tribes still relying on tier 6 plus further passage of time to do the same (via things like Kalecgos, Famished Felbat, Lil' Rag, etc).

• BeastehBeasteh THAT WOULD NOT KILL DRACULARegistered User regular
    Remove amalgadon imo

• GrobianGrobian What's on sale? Pliers!Registered User regular
    I don't really have a problem with the current meta, but I'd like to see battlegrounds without Brann as an experiment. I think that would be a huge shakeup for a single card. It would need some more adjustments, which blizz is probably not willing to do (i.e. fast balance patches) but I can dream.

• The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    both amalgadon and brann can bite it afaic, toxic as hell play patterns

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg

no it's poison

liEt3nH.png

no it's poison

[bell biv devoe begins playing faintly in the background]

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • fortyforty Registered User regular
    Since it's the beginning of the month and losses don't matter, I decided to play the big spell mage that the autocomplete gave me since it looked fun but not that good. Played 3 games and actually went 2-1 with it (folding to an Arbor Up on turn 5 Druid as expected), including playing against another big spell mage, which was a crazy game of total nonsense.

It's definitely a low agency deck, but it's fun if you aren't running into too many decks that kill you by turn 7 or OTK you before you can cheat too much nonsense out.

• emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    AAAAH!

I was playing as Quest Priest against a dragon Warrior and I completed the quest. I drew The Shard that insta-wins the game. Victory was at hand. We were both at full life, the board was empty, and there was no chance of me losing. I had nine cards in hand and the Warrior played a Spyglass and pulled The Shard and won!

emnmnme wrote: »
    AAAAH!

I was playing as Quest Priest against a dragon Warrior and I completed the quest. I drew The Shard that insta-wins the game. Victory was at hand. We were both at full life, the board was empty, and there was no chance of me losing. I had nine cards in hand and the Warrior played a Spyglass and pulled The Shard and won!
    That has to be the most undeserved win ever.

• DibbyDibby I'll do my best! Registered User regular
    forty wrote: »
    AAAAH!

That has to be the most undeserved win ever.

No that sounds like a normal game of Hearthstone to me

DNiDlnb.png
    Battle.net Tag: Dibby#1582
    I can assure you a person playing Priest and drawing the Purified Shard is far from a normal game of Hearthstone.

• DibbyDibby I'll do my best! Registered User regular
    I can assure you a person playing Priest and drawing the Purified Shard is far from a normal game of Hearthstone.

It's Warrior vs Priest, of course the Priest is gonna draw Shard

DNiDlnb.png
    Battle.net Tag: Dibby#1582
    The Warrior amassed like 20-30 armor and I healed at least 30 damage. Time was on my side.

edited April 2022
    Dibby wrote: »

It's Warrior vs Priest, of course the Priest is gonna draw Shard
    Of course!
    sjqamdbld0xl.png
    yjb5ba8m0oqd.png

forty on
  • RoyallyFlushedRoyallyFlushed Registered User regular
    Most Warrior decks I've seen right now are the anti-minion based control that have almost no way to win at all against opposing control decks. In fact, one of my biggest gripes about the meta Hearthstone has created right now is that playing dudes on board has never been worse. Not only is a lot of removal insanely efficient (Hysteria can still be nuts and Full-Blown Evil destroys almost any board single handedly), but lots of removal directly helps your opponent with their own win conditions. By doing things like progressing their questlines, giving them a big threat (Snowfall Guardian and Abominable Lieutenant), drawing them cards (Windchill and Mortal Coil), gaining them life (Drain Soul), taxing your spells (Frostbite), etc etc.

So it boils down the minion-based game into one of "play aggro or bust" because trying to stick a dude for the long term is just a laughable dream. You can't use minions right now to play a board-based control game against these spell heavy decks since it's nigh impossible to create a board that dodges removal options, so you've gotta go face and have some fast close out options to try to pull the rug out asap.

Not incidentally, my new season climb got a lot easier when I quit trying to play Paladin and went back to Quest Mage. So many games where I'd usually be getting blown out by removal are now free wins since I get to solitaire my spells and burn them out with inevitability.

small indie developer etc etc

1bay2ud6x9gz.png

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
    I hate it when the bad rumors are true.

Oh geez, Wild Pyro + Equality for 4 mana is back.

And power creeped Azure Drake!

• BeastehBeasteh THAT WOULD NOT KILL DRACULARegistered User regular
    1 mana execute

reno

ughhh

who was wishing on the monkey's paw to slow the game down

liEt3nH.png
    edited April 2022
    Oh and heads up anyone still playing constructed:
    Some balance changes over the years were made because cards were too powerful in Standard, even if they were not necessarily too powerful in Wild. The following cards will have their balance changes reverted on April 5 before they rotate into Wild with the launch of Voyage to the Sunken City on April 12:

Apotheosis
    Imprisoned Scrap Imp
    Blackjack Stunner
    Scavenger’s Ingenuity
    Kael’thas Sunstrider
    Corsair Cache
    Crabrider
    Mo’arg Artificer
    Il’gynoth
    Deck of Lunacy
    Boggspine Knuckles
    Dreadlord’s Bite
    Shardshatter Mystic
    Solarian Prime (generated by Astromancer Solarian)
    Guardian Animals
    Bloodboil Brute
    Imprisoned Antaen
    Jandice Barov
    High Abess Alura
    Lorekeeper Polkelt
    Evocation
    Priestess of Fury
    Kayn Sunfury
    Cabal Acolyte

Broken shit is back for a week.

In case anyone still cares, this is your one week warning for the "Honor system" rewards, so grind away if you haven't already finished the climb and you want any of the golden cards. Nope, guess not.

forty on
    In case anyone still cares, this is your one week warning for the "Honor system" rewards, so grind away if you haven't already finished the climb and you want any of the golden cards.

no it's over

liEt3nH.png
    Whoops. Oh well.

A Mage without Water Elemental feels wrong in the traditional sense. Water Elemental was the Mage hero's bread and butter skill in Warcraft 3.

• The JudgeThe Judge The Terwilliger CurvesRegistered User regular
    Whoops. Oh well.

I still cannot believe the Honor setup worked out so that the winning side had to grind their ass off to get the same legend results as the losing side.

Last pint: Turmoil CDA / Barley Brown's - Untappd: TheJudge_PDX
  • rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    A Mage without Water Elemental feels wrong in the traditional sense. Water Elemental was the Mage hero's bread and butter skill in Warcraft 3.

Yes but so does a Water elemental freezing everything.

The Judge wrote: »
    Whoops. Oh well.

I still cannot believe the Honor setup worked out so that the winning side had to grind their ass off to get the same legend results as the losing side.
    That's what they get for picking Alliance.

• The JudgeThe Judge The Terwilliger CurvesRegistered User regular
    The Judge wrote: »
    Whoops. Oh well.

That's what they get for picking Alliance.

Haha, yeah. 'They'. Those guys. Yep.

Last pint: Turmoil CDA / Barley Brown's - Untappd: TheJudge_PDX
  • YiliasYilias Registered User regular
    Those reverts are fine. Literally the only Wild playable one on that list is Crabrider.

Steam - BNet: Yilias #1224 - Riot: Yilias #moc
  • ronzoronzo Registered User regular
    In case anyone still cares, this is your one week warning for the "Honor system" rewards, so grind away if you haven't already finished the climb and you want any of the golden cards.

no it's over

Fuck me I was 200 away from finishing the stupid thing.

Goddamnit blizzard you can pop up a warning that you’re doing maintenance every Tuesday, or that there’s a sale that never includes hearthstone, but you can’t earn me that I need to finish that quest up?

Yilias wrote: »
    Those reverts are fine. Literally the only Wild playable one on that list is Crabrider.
    I should have specified Standard constructed.

who was wishing on the monkey's paw to slow the game down
    (Every finger on the paw but the middle one curls down, with the back of the paw facing me:)
    3syvf8by53e7.jpg

• GrobianGrobian What's on sale? Pliers!Registered User regular
    edited April 2022
    There is also a new BG hero. Hero power looks fine (get a random mech whenever 9 friendly minions have died), but not great and the buddy looks kinda weak (it's a mech that grows whenever you play a mech), because there isn't really a good payoff to have a single huge mech.

Also Varden's heropower was buffed, it now copies the highest tier minion instead of a random one.

/edit: oh god, there is a bug with Tickatus. If you pick "the good stuff" (all tavern minions have +2 health), then every minion spawns in separately, so refreshing the tavern takes ages every time. Literally unplayable.

Grobian on