As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[MTG] One Ring Four Mana

ZeroCowZeroCow Registered User regular
edited March 2023 in Social Entropy++
Magic: The Gathering is a fantasy trading card game from Wizards of the Coast that has been in continuous production for over 25 years. You can check out the official website for more information on the franchise as a whole, including articles on game design, strategy, and lore.

The game is played in a variety of formats, from those that can include nearly every card ever printed, to formats that only use sealed product for deck building, to formats that only use common cards. You can find information about all of the official formats here, and both a quick-start guide and the comprehensive rules here.
Here’s a quick rundown of the supported formats:
Vintage – You can play nearly any card ever made, supes expensive
Legacy – You can play most cards ever made, supes expensive
Modern – Play cards from 8th edition and the first robot set, just kind of expensive
Historic - Arena only, not actually mentioned on Wizards website as a format
Pioneer – Play cards from Ravnica (Return to) forward
Standard – Type 2
Brawl – Standard and Commander bumped uglies and made this
Commander – A format of dragons and highlanders
Pauper – Format of the commons

There are also tons of unofficial formats that are supported by communities both online and at your local gaming store.

Arena is the latest digital version of the game, utilizing a free-to-play model and currently supporting the Standard, Historic, and Brawl format and current limited formats, as well as some occasional digital-only formats/oddballs. You can download the game here.

Magic Online is the original digital Magic platform and is still the primary official way to play non-Standard constructed formats online. They also run cube and chaos drafts on MTGO. It looks like an orcs butt, but it gives you the Magic experience. You can download the client here.

If you're interested in competitive play, you can find information on the various levels of paper competitive play here. In addition to Wizards' own high-level tournaments, Star City Games runs their own national tournament series with large monetary prizes and Invitational, you can find information on their tournaments here.

The most recent set is Adventures in Forgotten Realms. It introduces dungeons (non-sex) to the game. AFR replaces the core set release.

Some other resources:
TCGPlayer.com can help you find the market values of cards before you make a purchase or trade. They also have an iPhone/Android app that allows you to scan cards and find their value/catalog them.
MTG Goldfish also has a price tracker feature with graphs, as well as articles on the game.
Gatherer is the official card search engine from WotC, featuring up-to-date oracle text, errata, format legality, and important rulings for every elk in the game.
Channel Fireball has a lot of articles on magic, but you have to pay for them.
[/quote]

PSN ID - Buckeye_Bert
Magic Online - Bertro
Whippy on

• MatevMatev Cero Miedo Registered User regular
    edited April 2022
    Continuing from last thread:
    KalTorak wrote: »
    couriersbriefcase.jpg
    the Briefcase has cool flavor and also fits nicely into my Path to the World Tree deck. Also nice to see another non-token Treasure.

mysteriouslimousine.jpg
    Cool effect that I'm not quite sure how to best take advantage of. At worst it's an expensive O-Ring that can attack, could be good.

wiretapping.jpg
    Not sure if this is powerful enough, but it could work in a control shell to easily play a finisher while holding counterspells.

Limo can Pac-Man tokens. Otherwise, selectively deploy to pick up problem pieces from an opponent's board to cause dysfunction in their gameplan? Like, I don't understand how by itself it could snag multiple creatures that it would clown car them out after.

Oh, I suppose you could use it to delayed flicker your own creatures as well to trigger ETBs, re-up Shield counters, etc.

Matev on
    "Go down, kick ass, and set yourselves up as gods, that's our Prime Directive!"
    Hail Hydra
  • I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    i'm gonna say limo is just a thematic effect that's rare for limited, and will not be constructed playable

liEt3nH.png
  • PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Yeah, the limo is neat for what it can do with your own ETB stuff I guess. Sadly, the way the trigger works means no Isshin shenanigans really.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    corpseexaminer.jpg
    Corpse Examiner
    UBR
    Creature - Vampire Rogue
    When Corpse Examiner enters the battlefield, exile up to one target creature card from the graveyard. If you put a card into exile this way, look at the top three cards of your library, put one of them into your hand, and the rest into your graveyard.

looks like a cycle of uncommon 2-for-1 creatures, with these guys. So far they all seem like strong draft picks.
    disciplinedduelist.jpgnimblelarcenist.jpg

• PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    The Bant guy is no Rhox War Monk but I'm not sure he ever could be. Though he does beat one in a fight!

• Ivan HungerIvan Hunger Registered User regular
    Never thought I'd see a coroner using Aquaman's aquatic telepathy.

• I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    rk6tqco9hp8x.png

can pretty confidently guess that this'll be a cycle. odd one tho

liEt3nH.png
  • turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    That seems fairly decent for pauper

X22wmuF.jpg
  • UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    Unlicensed Dispatch
    3BB
    Sorcery - Uncommon
    Casualty 3 (As you cast this spell, you may sacrifice a creature with power 3 or greater. When you do, copy this spell and you may choose a new target for the copy.)

Search your library for a card, put that card into your hand, then shuffle.

5 mana and a creature to grab both pieces of a combo at once?

• VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    turtleant wrote: »

It's an interesting competition with the Panoramas, which can tap for 1 on their own but require 1 to fetch.

nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
    AC:NH Chris from Glosta SW-5173-3598-2899 DA-4749-1014-4697 @vyolynce@mastodon.social
  • milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular

It's a nearly strictly worse evolving wilds.

The 2-color drawlands, though, *those* are pauper playable.

I ate an engineer
  • milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    On that note, I genuinely love when they make bad manalith or land variants just to signal "hey, these are the color combos for this set. Play em, dummy."

I ate an engineer
  • ZeroCowZeroCow Registered User regular
    Limited will be interesting with the lands. Allows for color fixing with untapped lands and filters out lands from your deck. Do they replace the land slot?

PSN ID - Buckeye_Bert
    Magic Online - Bertro
  • RawrBearRawrBear Registered User regular
    It’s not actually good but you can do some cute stuff with urborg with that land to get mana before it swaps out.

• KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    maestrosascendancy.jpg
    Maestros Ascendancy
    UBR
    Enchantment
    Once during each of your turns, you may cast an instant or sorcery spell from your graveyard by sacrificing a creature in addition to paying its other costs. If a spell cast this way would be put into your graveyard, exile it instead.

• UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    here's the "five mana costs, using existing mana symbols, that we’ve never used before" from MaRo's teaser - primary color symbol flanked by primary/ally color hybrid symbols
    6l0kr207afzb.png

edited April 2022
    milski wrote: »

It's a nearly strictly worse evolving wilds.

The 2-color drawlands, though, *those* are pauper playable.

Yeah... its clearly to be compared to the panoramas, but... Those are real nice for being able to just be untapped colorless mana late game.

Polaritie on
    arcanebombardment.jpg
    pewpewpewpewpewpewpewpewpew

arcanebombardment.jpg

Oh hell yes. This seems like a lot of fun for the right deck.

here's the "five mana costs, using existing mana symbols, that we’ve never used before" from MaRo's teaser - primary color symbol flanked by primary/ally color hybrid symbols
    6l0kr207afzb.png

I'll take partial credit on this!
    Unique mana costs? Oh please let's mix up hybrids here, like (w/u)(u/b) and so on. They did hybrid/regular in Alara Reborn but never double-hybrid.

nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
    AC:NH Chris from Glosta SW-5173-3598-2899 DA-4749-1014-4697 @vyolynce@mastodon.social
  • TynnanTynnan seldom correct, never unsure Registered User regular
    We all knew that Magic needed more uWu mana costs

• MatevMatev Cero Miedo Registered User regular
    arcanebombardment.jpg

Now that’s some spell-slinging.

"Go down, kick ass, and set yourselves up as gods, that's our Prime Directive!"
    Hail Hydra
    professionalfacebreaker.jpg

put that on your W-2

they should have another card called "Professional-Face Breaker" and it's a creature that taps to kill public speakers, models, and influencers

• ElaroElaro Apologetic Registered User regular

put that on your W-2

I'm getting big Lackadaisy Cats vibes from this art. Like a humanified gender-swapped version of one of the characters...

Children's rights are human rights.
    maestrosinitiate.jpg
    just begging to be a Casualty

edited April 2022

put that on your W-2

"Did you break any faces this week?"

"No."

"Did you try to break faces this week?"

"Yes."

"Ok. Here's your unemployment payment."

Vyolynce on
    nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
  • DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    arcanebombardment.jpg

extra turn extra turn extra turn ...

Oh my god, that would let you recast spells that normally exile themselves. Imagine what you could do with Time Stop on that with a bunch of dumb 1 mana instants. Or Teferi's Protection.

Make Disappear 1U
    Instant - Common
    Casualty 1
    Counter target spell unless its controller pays 2.

https://youtu.be/503zQMW2BCA

nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »
    Oh my god, that would let you recast spells that normally exile themselves. Imagine what you could do with Time Stop on that with a bunch of dumb 1 mana instants. Or Teferi's Protection.

Need to do some graveyard manipulation to set some of those up, but yes. Also, it's pretty trivial to end up with infinite turns nonsense off of it if you just pitch one to the yard.

Getting Teferi's under it, and maybe an Isochron or something in play to trigger it repeatedly is gross. I mean, it just requires instant speed enchantment kill, but...

Oh for some reason I thought Teferi's Protection had split second. Yeah I guess it's not as hard to disrupt as I thought.

• DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    Polaritie wrote: »

Need to do some graveyard manipulation to set some of those up, but yes. Also, it's pretty trivial to end up with infinite turns nonsense off of it if you just pitch one to the yard.

Getting Teferi's under it, and maybe an Isochron or something in play to trigger it repeatedly is gross. I mean, it just requires instant speed enchantment kill, but...

So with something that has discard a card as casting cost, would the "when you cast" trigger after you've discarded? in which case one Tormenting Voice, discard something like Karn's Temporal Sundering, then Arcane Bombardment triggers, exiles Sundering and the copy for free. Rinse & repeat.

edited April 2022
    DanHibiki wrote: »
    Polaritie wrote: »

So with something that has discard a card as casting cost, would the "when you cast" trigger after you've discarded? in which case one Tormenting Voice, discard something like Karn's Temporal Sundering, then Arcane Bombardment triggers, exiles Sundering and the copy for free. Rinse & repeat.

Yes. A spell is not considered "cast" until all costs are paid (which comes after selecting modes, targets, etc.).

EDIT: Although KTS is probably not the best example if opponents can keep you off legendary creatures/PWs.

Vyolynce on
    nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
    Oh for some reason I thought Teferi's Protection had split second. Yeah I guess it's not as hard to disrupt as I thought.

Ahaha. God no, that would be so fucking stupid. Card's annoying enough as is.

I do really like split second removal options for commander though. I should snag myself a few copies of Sudden Substitution, come to think of it...

• Kevin CristKevin Crist I make the devil hit his knees and say the 'our father'Registered User regular

Codes for cardbacks on Arena.
    InformationIsPower – Obscura
    CrimeIsAnArtForm – Maestros
    AlwaysFinishTheJob – Ribeteers
    FunIsntFree – Cabaretti
    ReadTheFinePrint – Brokers

acpRlGW.jpg
    Steam: YOU FACE JARAXXUS| Twitch.tv: CainLoveless
    securityrhox.jpg
    lucky for me, I brought my security papers

Spicy if you can get him early.

This discussion has been closed.