As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Audiophilia: Headphones, Amps, DAPs, and Empty Wallets

• initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    edited February 2022
    I think I have angered the audiophiles - I just bought a suitcase record player after not having a functioning player my entire life. but I saved my parents old records from getting tossed out 15 years ago and I was tired of waiting to "have space for a dream set up" whatever that meant. Like I can see the well enough to know it's deep from here, but honestly it's just so much fun to dust these off and see if they still are in working condition

initiatefailure on
  • MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    I think I have angered the audiophiles - I just bought a suitcase record player after not having a functioning player my entire life. but I saved my parents old records from getting tossed out 15 years ago and I was tired of waiting to "have space for a dream set up" whatever that meant. Like I can see the well enough to know it's deep from here, but honestly it's just so much fun to dust these off and see if they still are in working condition

Grab a record cleaner if you can to rehab that old vinyl.

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    edited March 2022
    I didn’t know this was a thing - I had just been wiping everything gently with a microfiber cloth from my glasses because some of the old stuff had not been stored great. Now I’m seeing what our there

But the good news is that only one album so far was damaged, with a big crack in KC & the sunshine band

initiatefailure on
  • an_altan_alt Registered User regular
    I started a new job at the start of the pandemic and they're finally making me go into the office next month. Unfortunately, this job doesn't give me my own office and I have to do *sigh* hot desking. I can use my regular music/gaming setup of Brainwavz HM5s and a Modmic for meetings and blocking out ambient sound. However, this could be the excuse to get something that plays nicely with an iPhone as well so I don't have the ridiculous headphones/Modmic/Lightening adapter setup.

Are there any decent options for Bluetooth, closed back headphones with a mic? If not, any suggestions for fun closed back Bluetooth cans that switch somewhat easily between devices? The Pandas are quite expensive and seem to have high failure rates. The Audio-Technica ATH-M50xBT seem decent, but are apparently a pain to switch between different sources.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Pony wrote:
    I think that the internet has been for years on the path to creating what is essentially an electronic Necronomicon: A collection of blasphemous unrealities so perverse that to even glimpse at its contents, if but for a moment, is to irrevocably forfeit a portion of your sanity.
    Xbox - PearlBlueS0ul, Steam
    If you ever need to talk to someone, feel free to message me. Yes, that includes you.
  • DixonDixon Screwed...possibly doomed CanadaRegistered User regular
    I actually have Panda’s but I typically use my Qudelix 5k over them for music when out and about.

The Pandas are just too uncomfortable for long periods of time.

That doesn’t really help out with the mic part though as you still need cans with a mic.

• NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    an_alt wrote: »
    Are there any decent options for Bluetooth, closed back headphones with a mic?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Yes, but mostly no

Mic setups over bluetooth are going to always be terrible due to how bluetooth works. if you're in the apple ecosystem there's the incredibly expensive airpod maxes I suppose, but even I've heard it can have issues doing the dynamic switching between devices. pandas aren't really an option since it seems like drop's basically stopped making them + the quality issues (full disclosure I had to go through 3 pairs to get a non-defective one)

what about an external bluetooth dac like a fiio btr5, and turn a decent closed back headphone into something wireless with mic

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • an_altan_alt Registered User regular
    I've been thinking about this since the 19th, but not really sure what to do. Okay, answers to all my headphone questions can't be solved with one set. Can't decide if I want to get some decentish closed back gaming headphones like the PC37X or some Bluetooth headphones for work and use the laptop mic.

Thanks for the recommendations for the btr5 and Qudelix 5k. I hadn't really thought of that as an option, so I'll probably pick one up, though it would be nice to get another set of cans so I don't have to use my gaming setup. Guess I'm back to the drawing board on this.

Thanks for the info!

Pony wrote:
    I think that the internet has been for years on the path to creating what is essentially an electronic Necronomicon: A collection of blasphemous unrealities so perverse that to even glimpse at its contents, if but for a moment, is to irrevocably forfeit a portion of your sanity.
    Xbox - PearlBlueS0ul, Steam
    If you ever need to talk to someone, feel free to message me. Yes, that includes you.
    So I got some KZ ZSN Pro X's, because I wanted a decent wired headphone + mic for work and I've never really tried IEMs before. I'm a little bummed with them, it seems the in-line multifunction button doesn't work on my Pixel 4A? I tried the normal headphone jack & using a USB to RCA dongle and nothing. They sound pretty decent though. Is it worth trying to replace the cable to get something else that might have a working in-line control + mic, and/or other ear tips (maybe something better for blocking out external sound)? I don't know shit about IEMs and all their features/accessories.

an_alt wrote: »
    I've been thinking about this since the 19th, but not really sure what to do. Okay, answers to all my headphone questions can't be solved with one set. Can't decide if I want to get some decentish closed back gaming headphones like the PC37X or some Bluetooth headphones for work and use the laptop mic.

Thanks for the recommendations for the btr5 and Qudelix 5k. I hadn't really thought of that as an option, so I'll probably pick one up, though it would be nice to get another set of cans so I don't have to use my gaming setup. Guess I'm back to the drawing board on this.

Thanks for the info!

I grabbed a buddy a pair of the PC38X, but the older color. They go on sale for $129 occasionally and he pairs it with a Qudelix 5k with no issue as far as I know. He also uses the headset itself with his xbox and it's apparently crisp.

• ZetxZetx 🐧 Registered User regular
    Looking for some new IEMs and have been out of it for awhile now. Last pair were some FutureSonics Atrio that died on me 3-5 years ago. Any suggestions for something with good noise isolation (plane rides, drumming)? Not sure if the 2 pin or MMCX connectors are better, but I like the idea that I can swap things around get a Bluetooth experience with the same pair too. I liked the sound from the Atrio but it's been so long I am going off reviews on how they're described. Good bass, warm mids?

76561197966849367.png
  • djmitchelladjmitchella Registered User regular
    https://www.dyson.com/wearables/dyson-zone-air-purifying-headphones/announcement

oat8nce0qytj.png

Dyson describes them as "air purifying headphones with active noise cancelling", and while they look super goofy, at least they don't look as bad as their 'we've been working on this for six years' prototypes:

chqkcnsyng69.png

I'm not sure I _want_ air purifying headphones, I'll admit, but it's an interesting(?) idea.

• BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    oh these things
    So, they're actually actively harmful because they only filter air coming in, and blow pressurized unfiltered air out, spewing your aerosols around whatever room you happen to be in. They were designed before the pandemic made the realities of aerosol-transmitted pathogens obvious, and are only designed for mitigating air pollution.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • CruorCruor Registered User regular
    Hey all, does anyone have recommendations for wireless, over-ear closed-back headphones without a mic? I want somewhat decent battery life and it has to fit my stupidly large head, but those are pretty much my only needs. Budget is ~$200 but I have wiggle room.

• Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    edited April 2022
    Hello audio thread, I come to you from the wastelands of SE after DankPods got the bugbite in me and drove me to buy the Meze 99 Classics

Now I'm looking to buy a starter amp/dac for my PC and finally decided on the Fiio K3, but there's a complication

I already have a logitech z533 hooked up from before. It's not bad for the budget, I think? But it already has an integrated amp built into its subwoofer, and I have no idea how that setup will play with the K3

What's your advice? Am I actually fine just hooking up the Mezes to the z533's headphone jack or should I chuck out the logitechs because it's inherently incompatible?

Indie Winter on
    wY6K6Jb.gif
  • BlindZenDriverBlindZenDriver Registered User regular
    Cruor wrote: »
    Hey all, does anyone have recommendations for wireless, over-ear closed-back headphones without a mic? I want somewhat decent battery life and it has to fit my stupidly large head, but those are pretty much my only needs. Budget is ~$200 but I have wiggle room.

I'm a big fan on the offerings from B&O. Amazing sound quality, very comfy for all sizes and the overall quality is just top notch. Budget wise they are a bit of a stretch, but if you look around good offers can be found.

Review of a set of H8, one of the models B&O offer.

Now I am rocking a pair of their wired ones, but from reviews I read their wireless offerings are good also

B&O is short for Bang & Olufsen, it is a company with a 90+ year track record and their offerings also include multi-room systems and ultra high end wireless speakers. Ultra as in a powered speakers with 18 drivers and 3.800 watt that weigh 302 lbs, they essentially celebrated their 90 year putting out something showing what they can do when budget is not a consideration.

Bones heal, glory is forever.
  • BlindZenDriverBlindZenDriver Registered User regular
    I'm considering investing in a big, likely pre-owned, amp to replace my current more normal amp, only I wonder if there is something I need to consider so any experience on living with a big amp (heat, power bill...)?

I'm thinking something like this:
    nakamichi-pa-7e-ii-vintage-highend.jpg
    or this:
    post-133753-0-67761400-1408160454_thumb.jpg

My current more normal unit:
    2584865-c24cbc59-electrocompaniet-ampliwire-ii-power-amplifier-50-wc-legendary-matti-otala-design.jpg

Bones heal, glory is forever.
  • ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    One thing you'll definitely want to consider is a high quality surge suppressor or maybe even a UPS.

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • CormacCormac Registered User regular
    Heat is also going to be a consideration. I have a couple of different Class A headphone amps and they all get HOT.

Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
    Hello audio thread, I come to you from the wastelands of SE after DankPods got the bugbite in me and drove me to buy the Meze 99 Classics

Now I'm looking to buy a starter amp/dac for my PC and finally decided on the Fiio K3, but there's a complication

I already have a logitech z533 hooked up from before. It's not bad for the budget, I think? But it already has an integrated amp built into its subwoofer, and I have no idea how that setup will play with the K3

What's your advice? Am I actually fine just hooking up the Mezes to the z533's headphone jack or should I chuck out the logitechs because it's inherently incompatible?

I mean, you could just run the fio via usb into your computer and bypass the logitech stuff for the mezes and that should be perfectly fine

There's no reason to not use both but separately. Run the Logitech's as you have been from the headphone/speaker 3.5mm out and then the Fiio on USB. When you want to use one or the other switch the output device.

I see no need or reason to try and run the Logitech through the Fiio unless you want to. Connecting the Meze's to the Logitech is doable but again I don't see why you'd want to. It's not a headphone amp. The amp it has is for powering itself and not going to sound anywhere near as good as the Fiio.

• Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    Thanks! last absolute newbie question - is switching the outputs a thing I have to do in the OS (Windows)? Is there dedicated software or is it simply a choice in the default audio settings?

wY6K6Jb.gif
    Thanks! last absolute newbie question - is switching the outputs a thing I have to do in the OS (Windows)? Is there dedicated software or is it simply a choice in the default audio settings?

It's really simple in Windows. It's a little different in W10 vs W11 but it's either a right or left click on the volume icon. Ear Trumpet is a great free program that'll also do it and is actually a far better input/volume control than the standard one.

• SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    I switch things often enough that I learned that Windows key -> Sound Mi (For Sound Mixer Settings) gets you to the right config screen

38fdc395fxiu.png

What is handy is that you can set outputs per application. For instance Apex is the one game I always play with headphones, so it boots into my headphones. You can also set volume per application, but I find this to be a bit of a trap. It's really easy to forget you turned down the volume

Now if only the issue where upon nvidia driver install it defaults to thinking my TV is the goto output device.... maybe? It's been a decade?

Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    oh that's a useful menu I didn't know about

BahamutZERO.gif
  • CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    Hello audio people, my search skills are failing me. I want to get a hard case to protect my Jabra 45h's if I need to throw them in a bag, and yet I don't seem to be finding anything. Maybe my brain is too old I'm using the wrong terms to search on Amazon, Best Buy etc.

:so_raven:
    Corvus wrote: »
    Hello audio people, my search skills are failing me. I want to get a hard case to protect my Jabra 45h's if I need to throw them in a bag, and yet I don't seem to be finding anything. Maybe my brain is too old I'm using the wrong terms to search on Amazon, Best Buy etc.

https://www.amazon.com/UltraShell-Compatible-Headphones-Replacement-Protective/dp/B08NVW9LVW
    https://www.amazon.com/Ginsco-Headphone-Carrying-Storage-XB950B1/dp/B019Z81V3M

• Trajan45Trajan45 Registered User regular

@Cruor I'm assuming you mean boom mic. All wireless headphones will have some sort of mic built in haha. Generally the Sony WH-1000XM4 are considered the top option. They can go on sale for $280, but MSRP is $350 which is well above your budget. Sadly there are not a lot of options in your price range. The Sennheiser MOMENTUM 3 are closer, but there is comments about clamping force, which could be uncomfortable on a large head. The Anker Q30's would be a massive budget option, but seem to be the highest rated of that group.

Origin ID\ Steam ID: Warder45
  • CruorCruor Registered User regular
    Trajan45 wrote: »

@Cruor I'm assuming you mean boom mic. All wireless headphones will have some sort of mic built in haha. Generally the Sony WH-1000XM4 are considered the top option. They can go on sale for $280, but MSRP is $350 which is well above your budget. Sadly there are not a lot of options in your price range. The Sennheiser MOMENTUM 3 are closer, but there is comments about clamping force, which could be uncomfortable on a large head. The Anker Q30's would be a massive budget option, but seem to be the highest rated of that group.

Yeah, I meant a boom mic. Thanks for the info! I looked at the options and decided that wireless wasn't really that important for me, and I went with a wired set - the Philips Fidelio X2HR. I was a little skeptical about an open back set since I've pretty much always gone with closed back, but I'm really liking these.

Yeah wireless is only really useful for me for music on my phone. For chores and things like that. For gaming, I'm always close enough a cord will work (which ends up being safer since windows bluetooth sucks).

Hey, so I'm currently rocking Aeon RT Closed has my daily drivers but I want a nice pair of open back's that are a worth while upgrade over the HD6xx.

I've got a budget of about $1500 USD. I'd like to keep it at $1000 but there are a bunch around that line.

Currently looking at the:

Audeze LCD-X
    Focal Elex (I was looking at clear but most reviews say they are near identical)

Anything else I should be considering? Anyone have personal experience with either of these two?

• minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    I've had the LCD-X and the LCD-2C. Both are amazing and are easily the best headphones I've ever used. Seemingly against everything the internet says, I preferred the 2C's, so I returned the X's, but honestly if I hadn't compared them directly, either one would have been amazing. If you enjoy nice huge soundstages, and a pretty incredibly tight thumpy bass (for open backs), I think you'd love them.

Previous/other headphones that I was upgrading from include Beyerdynamic 990 Pro, Sennheiser HD6xx, Sennheiser HD700, Sennheiser HD800s AKG K702, Hifiman Sundara.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
    Oh nice, that's great feedback. I was looking at HD800's but that's good to hear you preferred the LCD's over them.

I'll check out the 2C's, I haven't looked into those yet at all.

• CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    Cormac wrote: »
    Corvus wrote: »

https://www.amazon.com/UltraShell-Compatible-Headphones-Replacement-Protective/dp/B08NVW9LVW
    https://www.amazon.com/Ginsco-Headphone-Carrying-Storage-XB950B1/dp/B019Z81V3M

Thanks, I order the geekria one.

:so_raven:
  • Mai-KeroMai-Kero Registered User regular
    So I know this doesn't strictly fall under audiophile territory as they don't compare to the nicer, more expensive sets of headphones, but does anyone have any recommendations for a good wireless gaming headset? USB or optical with a mixer are either fine. I know the Astro A50s used to be pretty well regarded back in the day, but reviews don't seem to happy with them recently even with Dolby Atmos included.

Dixon wrote: »
    Hey, so I'm currently rocking Aeon RT Closed has my daily drivers but I want a nice pair of open back's that are a worth while upgrade over the HD6xx.

I've got a budget of about $1500 USD. I'd like to keep it at $1000 but there are a bunch around that line.

Audeze LCD-X
    Focal Elex (I was looking at clear but most reviews say they are near identical)

Anything else I should be considering? Anyone have personal experience with either of these two?

Have you thought about going to CanJam? https://canjamglobal.com/

In another year or 2, I too will be looking for a massive upgrade. But I can't see myself dropping $800+ without testing them out first. If corona can stay tempered, I want to hit the NYC one next year.

Mai-Kero wrote: »
    So I know this doesn't strictly fall under audiophile territory as they don't compare to the nicer, more expensive sets of headphones, but does anyone have any recommendations for a good wireless gaming headset? USB or optical with a mixer are either fine. I know the Astro A50s used to be pretty well regarded back in the day, but reviews don't seem to happy with them recently even with Dolby Atmos included.

Arctis 7 Wireless are pretty good, or at least were (my buddy has a pair). Rtings still seems to rate the Astros though.

Trajan45 wrote: »
    Dixon wrote: »

Audeze LCD-X

Have you thought about going to CanJam? https://canjamglobal.com/

In another year or 2, I too will be looking for a massive upgrade. But I can't see myself dropping $800+ without testing them out first. If corona can stay tempered, I want to hit the NYC one next year.

Hmmm I'll check that out. I could probably hit up the Chicago one if it remains open.

I'm in Toronto so would need to be the Chicago or NYC option.

We only just recently lifted our Covid rules but I the one store I went into still wasn't allowing people to try out cans. Understandable and they didn't have a time frame when they would allow it.

audio update: I actually managed to get the Fiio K3 for stupid cheap, just 30 bucks (finally AMEX points are good for something)

now I hooked up the Meze Classics into this little guy and I'm having a blast

next up when I get the funds and a way to get it over here without the insane shipping costs, something from Schitt Audio

my next newbie question, looking at their site: they only list amps with DACs as part of their "gaming" product line. Do the more specialized AMPs they have also come with DACs or are they completely different products at that level?

wY6K6Jb.gif
  • webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    audio update: I actually managed to get the Fiio K3 for stupid cheap, just 30 bucks (finally AMEX points are good for something)

now I hooked up the Meze Classics into this little guy and I'm having a blast

next up when I get the funds and a way to get it over here without the insane shipping costs, something from Schitt Audio

my next newbie question, looking at their site: they only list amps with DACs as part of their "gaming" product line. Do the more specialized AMPs they have also come with DACs or are they completely different products at that level?

The non gaming stuff is split up.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • V1mV1m Registered User regular
    I'm considering these Anker P2 bluetooth earbuds for when I'm travelling and want to watch films and stuff on my laptop. Good? Bad? Indifferent?

I should add that my hearing is not the greatest so I don't really care about achingly pure high frequency fidelity and stuff. Reliability, battery life and easy controls are the main priorities.