As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[TV] Thready Ready

• PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    tynic wrote: »
    Is it nine eps? Somehow I'd picked up the vague idea it was 10.

Everything I'm seeing says it's a niner

I really gotta sit down and dial in why the pacing on the season hit me so weird

• MatevMatev Cero Miedo Registered User regular
    First 3 episodes of Tokyo Vice are up on HBO Max.

It's ok, I like it well enough, though it does make me want to read the book it's based off of more than anything. Didn't expect to actually enjoy the Hostess Club sideplot, but all that time managing the Sunshine in Yakuza 0 gave me enough context to make it worth the while.

"Go down, kick ass, and set yourselves up as gods, that's our Prime Directive!"
    Hail Hydra
  • tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2022
    tynic wrote: »
    Is it nine eps? Somehow I'd picked up the vague idea it was 10.

Everything I'm seeing says it's a niner

I really gotta sit down and dial in why the pacing on the season hit me so weird

My app froze after the recap and just left me sitting with a silent black screen. Took me three minutes to realize that wasn't a directorial choice.
    I kind of want to watch the season again now I can pay attention to its arc as a whole, see how i feel about the choices they made. But for me, the last episode was at least up there with Defiant Jazz as a crafted piece of television. I especially appreciated that while each of the four individual narratives were all driving tension to a frenetic peak, they did so using different emotional registers, so the final beats of the ep were like a really voluminous swelling dissonant chord of heart-string-tugging stress.

It wasn't subtle writing, and probably the only actual surprise of the episode is that Cobel didn't chuck the kid out of the window of the car or something, which she seems well capable of, but for me at least it was very effective

Edit: also Devon and Ricken's friends continue to be the absolute worst people imaginable.

tynic on
  • ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    edited April 2022
    Really liked episode 3 of halo, its actually shaping up to be a very cool show especially for a halo fan

Prohass on
  • PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    So Paramount+ finally shows up on the Aus Xbox store when I search for it... But with "Not currently available" where "install" should be. So soon, hopefully, I want to catch up on Discovery and be ready for SNW.

• The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular
    This youtube channel has compiled a bunch of Taskmaster interstitial music, should anyone so desire.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-vFw5ZONYAARzHkxo3ky3w/videos

https://youtu.be/c3m-2T8N6oE

BLM - ACAB
  • OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    Matev wrote: »
    First 3 episodes of Tokyo Vice are up on HBO Max.

It's ok, I like it well enough, though it does make me want to read the book it's based off of more than anything. Didn't expect to actually enjoy the Hostess Club sideplot, but all that time managing the Sunshine in Yakuza 0 gave me enough context to make it worth the while.

I am angry that it has Ansel Elgort in it because that guy sucks but I will probably check it out

The book is indeed a great read, by the way, though it’s a much better read than a listen. The author read his own audiobook and while he seems like a cool guy he is not an aesthetically pleasing speaker

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    I enjoyed Tokyo Vice when I read it a few years ago but word has been spreading that Adelstein exaggerated or straight up fabricated a lot of the stuff in that book

• minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    I enjoyed Tokyo Vice when I read it a few years ago but word has been spreading that Adelstein exaggerated or straight up fabricated a lot of the stuff in that book

I just assume all writers are always lying.

I bet Crichton never saw a fucking dinosaur.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Lost CanuckLost Canuck World's Greatest Escape Artist Doctor Vundabar's Murder MachineRegistered User regular
    I got the feeling when I read Tokyo Vice that Adelstein was being really self-aggrandizing, especially with how much women he met supposedly wanted to fuck him.
    Despite enjoying the book, because of that I'm forced to recognize his article where he played Yakuza 3 with real yakuza as his real magnum opus.

https://boingboing.net/2010/08/10/yakuza-3-review.html
    M: Kiryu is the way yakuza used to be. We kept the streets clean. People liked us. We didn't bother ordinary citizens. We respected our bosses. Now, guys like that only exist in video games.
    S: I don't know any ex-yakuza running orphanages.
    K: There was one a few years ago. A good guy.
    M: You sure it wasn't just a tax shelter?
    K: Sure it was a tax shelter but he ran it like a legitimate thing. You know.

QYW8SHm.jpg
    Nintendo Switch friend code: SW-4012-4821-3053
  • Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    The Yakuza 3 article, I'm sorry to say, is also completely bogus

• Lost CanuckLost Canuck World's Greatest Escape Artist Doctor Vundabar's Murder MachineRegistered User regular
    Yeah, that tracks.
    It's something I wish was true.

QYW8SHm.jpg
    Nintendo Switch friend code: SW-4012-4821-3053
    I have watched the pilot of the Halo TV show and yeah, it's about what I expected

It's yet another incredible example of Halo being a thing with cool ideas and some cool execution that is just consistently failing to live up to its own promise
    For example, they have Master Chief take off his helmet at the end of the first episode, and keep it off, and it's like... yeah I get it? I know the narrative purpose that move serves, and I understand the utilitarian purpose of "our actor needs his face to act" but given the history of never showing Chief's face ever, it feels unearned happening at the end of your friggin' pilot episode

Same with him going AWOL against the UNSC, which again, is a great idea for a moment that needs so much more setup to make it work! I appreciate they're trying to make the UNSC the bad guys, that's right and correct, but it happening again at the end of the very first episode also feels a bit unearned, though it suffers more if you have the context of the games, but even within the context of the backstory the show is trying to establish, it also feels unearned because a weird super-soldier who had his memory wiped is going to get over decades of brainwashing because he touched a magic rock once

And then you get into stuff like... I think Pablo Schreiber is doing a decent job, he's working with the material he's given, but all I could think watching him once his helmet came off is that Kurt Russell in Soldier did a way better job with this exact conceit! Like, he has one facial expression in that movie, and it works because they take the time to establish that war and soldiering is all he's ever known, and there's even a subtlety to it. Meanwhile Schreiber is playing it like... well like he's a human being, which he isn't right now, the whole arc should be him rediscovering that gradually, that's like the character's whole thing, but we're ending episode one and he's basically already there! Where is there left for the character to go?

Even simple things, like Chief calling people by name. Unless they are his direct subordinates, everyone should be "sir" or "ma'am," up to and including civilians, even during crisis situations. That and a more robotic delivery would establish so much about the character without you having to change much of anything else in your script!

And yeah there's lore stuff in here that's definitely diverging from canon, but I don't care about that really! It's not like Bungie or 343 have ever been good about actually communicating that lore in their own material anyway, so whatever! All I care about is telling a cool story with some neat ideas, and they're already stumbling. Though I guess it's a bit better than the game stuff, because at least here we're getting like... exposition, and aren't necessarily expected to read a trilogy of novels to know what's going on. At least, not yet, I'm sure that's coming soon

Man, I don't know why I get so frustrated with Halo

I guess it's because the worst sort of thing is the thing that you can absolutely see could be great, but just keeps tripping over its own dick constantly

signature-deffo.jpg
    Also, and this is absolutely damning: how do you make a Halo TV show and your opening theme song is the most concentrated nothing song I've ever heard?? You have some of the best and most iconic music in pop culture and this is what you decided to lead with, honestly

Even if there's some legal issues with Marty O'Donnell or something, then just use the 117 theme that Halo 4 had! That's at least got a recognizable motif!

signature-deffo.jpg
  • minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    I started Severance.

I meant to start it from the beginning and other stuff kept coming up and I wasn’t in the right headspace, but at least now I get to binge it all over the next few days. It’s very much my thing so far. That opening sequence (after the cold open) of Adam Scott’s character walking through an endless, apparently spatially impossible hallway was enough to make me feel uneasy. It was very The Shining. Very Ashtray Maze. But sterilized and unnerving in a different way. It was a small bit but it set the tone incredibly well.

I loved how the antagonistic architecture was so ever present. From the huge soulless office building to the unnervingly empty offices with just a bit too much open space to the cookie cutter community of townhomes Scott’s character lives in.

I’m only one episode in, but I’m pretty anxious to jump back in and see where this goes.

Also, I will note that as of episode 3, the majority of Halo episodes have started off with children being murdered. Now, I’m unsure if this is a trend that will continue, but at least someone has the courage to splatter children’s brains on tv week in, week out.

Also, what a weird show. I’m enjoying it pretty well. I’m not sure I’d call it great tv or anything, but I have to give it credit for at least taking some pretty decent swerves in direction nearly every episode.

And so far Grunts have been mentioned twice but not shown. Show us the Grunts, you cowards!

• ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    edited April 2022
    Ally McBeal update:

Last episode John Cage was visited by Barry White and he has become a new man. He's been transformed by the mere presence of Barry White. Now? Now John Cage has found a well-spring of confidence and he is horny as FUCK.

This episode was so horny... Jesus Christ... Richard Fish fingers Ling's knee-pad during a staff meeting. Later on John Cage demands to learn this secret from his best friend, and proceeds to use it on Ally McBeal's best-friend/roommate at the cocktail bar beneath their law firm, causing her to stuff Peter MacNicol's head into her breasts. Near the end of this episode Portia de Rossi wants to know what's so special about it, so Richard Fish does it briefly to her during trial and her hair shoots up like in a Tex Avery cartoon.

The B-plot of this episode? Billy and Georgia are in couples therapy due to the fallout of Billy kissing Ally. Their therapist? Its obviously Rosie O'Donnell, who spends every therapy session just shit-talking Billy straight to his face. She eventually demands that Billy bring Ally to their next session and when that occurs, O'Donnel insults Ally so fiercely that McBeal stomps on her foot (breaking her big toe).

The C-plot? Elaine's swing-dance partner is suddenly unavailable and the regional qualifiers are tomorrow! She needs a new partner immediately. Thank god that Ling is great at swing-dancing (Ling is good at everything in this show, she's the legal sitcom equivalent to Batman), so the two of them practice and then dance well enough to the music of Big Bad Voodoo Daddy to qualify for the regionals.

Ally-Mc-Beal-Lucy-Liu-Fedora.jpg

God bless you, Lucy Liu

Zonugal on
    Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • GrisloGrislo Registered User regular
    I've watched Ally McBeal exactly once, and it's amazing how I remember everything when I read the recaps.

The overriding memory is that Portia de Rossi was amazing.

(Lucy Liu was okay, too)

This post was sponsored by Tom Cruise.
  • MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    The Geek wrote: »
    This youtube channel has compiled a bunch of Taskmaster interstitial music, should anyone so desire.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-vFw5ZONYAARzHkxo3ky3w/videos

https://youtu.be/c3m-2T8N6oE

I was just telling my wife how I would love this random stuff to play when I come into a room and like...start the coffee pot.

I am in the business of saving lives.
    Also, I will note that as of episode 3, the majority of Halo episodes have started off with children being murdered. Now, I’m unsure if this is a trend that will continue, but at least someone has the courage to splatter children’s brains on tv week in, week out.

Also, what a weird show. I’m enjoying it pretty well. I’m not sure I’d call it great tv or anything, but I have to give it credit for at least taking some pretty decent swerves in direction nearly every episode.

And so far Grunts have been mentioned twice but not shown. Show us the Grunts, you cowards!

The show is so strange and is making so many mediocre choices, but then it does shit like pop teenagers like blood balloons or have genuine puppets on screen and I can't write it off entirely

But having made it through the third episode I am absolutely baffled that, in the wake of the success of The Mandalorian, they decided to have Master Chief out of his armor and without his helmet on like 99% of the time he's on screen

signature-deffo.jpg
    The staying out of armor stuff is actually a choice I don’t mind at all. I mean, there’s no sensible reason he would stay armored and helmeted up 24/7, so I’m okay ditching a video game conceit that was made for technological reasons 20 years ago. Plus, I mean, dude is still a 6 and a half foot tall walking brick shithouse even without the armor, and it gives the armor a little more impact when it does get brought out.

The staying out of armor stuff is actually a choice I don’t mind at all. I mean, there’s no sensible reason he would stay armored and helmeted up 24/7, so I’m okay ditching a video game conceit that was made for technological reasons 20 years ago. Plus, I mean, dude is still a 6 and a half foot tall walking brick shithouse even without the armor, and it gives the armor a little more impact when it does get brought out.

Plus the show would have netted a NC17 rating for all of the implied robosexual hand jobs

• JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    edited April 2022
    "Isn't that right, Master Chief? Master Chief?"

6z338yu2wvna.png

"Oh, god. Sorry, Master Chief, I'll...I'm gonna be right over there. Until...for now. Sorry."

Jedoc on
    GDdCWMm.jpg
  • nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    I haven't seen the show so I don't wanna pretend I'm commenting on the shows choices. I'm not. Maybe the choice to keep him out of the suit more is good. I'm very resistant to that though and I flat reject the idea that MC was only armored all the time because of the limits of videos games or those games. There are a lot of good thematic and character reasons for MC never taking off the suit. As of the game they've been fighting an existential war that never ends. His life for the past five years has been fighting a battle, going into stasis, and fighting another battle. The facelessness and the treatment of him represents way the UNSC has turned him into a weapon. It also represents a sort of mystical hero vibe. In the myth people tell after the war he doesn't have a face. He is a miracle made flesh. I think if you emphasized that and THEN did a story about his need to reclaim his humanity and be more than the symbol he has become, if you address the crime that was and is done to him, I think that's all interesting. I don't super see the value straight up ignoring the value of that part of the MC's character right off the bat.

Quire.jpg
  • Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    Olivaw wrote: »

The show is so strange and is making so many mediocre choices, but then it does shit like pop teenagers like blood balloons or have genuine puppets on screen and I can't write it off entirely

But having made it through the third episode I am absolutely baffled that, in the wake of the success of The Mandalorian, they decided to have Master Chief out of his armor and without his helmet on like 99% of the time he's on screen

Mando may he an unfair comparison. It's willing to buck prestige t trends and have episodes that are disconnected from "The main plot" and be 7 samurai with krill where halo s very much " movie in multiple parts"

• Dex DynamoDex Dynamo Registered User regular
    Today in Columbo, Johnny Cash almost, ALMOST got away with it. But once Columbo gets in your head... you're done for.

Dex Dynamo wrote: »
    Today in Columbo, Johnny Cash almost, ALMOST got away with it. But once Columbo gets in your head... you're done for.

How many more things were there

• ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    Okay, Johnny. We've got a perfect role for you.

He's a country singer. He wears all black. He's an ex-con. He's a murder, which is a given. He's also a pedophile, which is a first for Columbo. Sound good?

edited April 2022

Okay, yeah! Sure, okay, yeah! Yeah to all of this!!

Poorochondriac on
  • ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    Those folks must've gone to the same red carpet smile coach.

Bloods End wrote: »
    Olivaw wrote: »

Mando may he an unfair comparison. It's willing to buck prestige t trends and have episodes that are disconnected from "The main plot" and be 7 samurai with krill where halo s very much " movie in multiple parts"

You know what? You’re not wrong! No one else has the guts to do episodic storytelling anymore, it’s all serialized to create cliffhangers that promote bingewatching and I’m coming to hate it

But it did prove you can have effective and compelling characterization out of a guy whose face you never see, which I think is a reasonable point of comparison when you’re making a show about fuckin’ Master Chief, the most faceless of dudes

signature-deffo.jpg
    ChicoBlue wrote: »
    Those folks must've gone to the same red carpet smile coach.

I had a half second where I thought the last photo was Fred Armisen and thankfully it wasn't, but it also would have made perfect sense.

edited April 2022
    I haven't seen the show so I don't wanna pretend I'm commenting on the shows choices. I'm not. Maybe the choice to keep him out of the suit more is good. I'm very resistant to that though and I flat reject the idea that MC was only armored all the time because of the limits of videos games or those games. There are a lot of good thematic and character reasons for MC never taking off the suit. As of the game they've been fighting an existential war that never ends. His life for the past five years has been fighting a battle, going into stasis, and fighting another battle. The facelessness and the treatment of him represents way the UNSC has turned him into a weapon. It also represents a sort of mystical hero vibe. In the myth people tell after the war he doesn't have a face. He is a miracle made flesh. I think if you emphasized that and THEN did a story about his need to reclaim his humanity and be more than the symbol he has become, if you address the crime that was and is done to him, I think that's all interesting. I don't super see the value straight up ignoring the value of that part of the MC's character right off the bat.

I mean you should wartch the show, because its what theyre doing, just slightly differently executed. Its absolutely not ignoring anything like you suggested, just addressing the same themes differently. Hes still "faceless" to the rest of humanity, even when hes not wearing his helmet and not actually obscuring his face, the thematic effect is the same, just achieved through his anonymity, lack of human contact, demenour, stature, etc. He has no past or identity, hes not a person, to the rest of humanity and even to himself. The show makes that clear, and its about him first starting to grapple with this fact after a decade of being a super soldier fighting rebels and the covenant (in relative secrecy fighting the covenant, but openly fighting the rebellions). I really recommend giving the show a shot if you get the chance, because thats all part of it.

This is an origin story for the cheif, pre war total war with the covenant. But hes been fighting since he was a kid, and is already a symbol to the UNSC, and a symbol of fear for the rebels. It works. Hes in his armour when hes in combat or about to go into combat or could even potentially be in combat (hes basically only unarmoured when on Reach and the story has him "stood down"). He keeps his helment on a lot, and his armour on more, but he removes his helmet where appropriate. The show isnt shy about having him stomp around in intimidating armour for a lot of screen time. And not for nothing I actually think the first removal of the helmet works really well, not just as a "oh my god we're doing it!" but as a great way to show not tell about his character and who he is and the tensions the show will be exploring and how itll be exploring it. Nothing amazing, but just solid and confident.

I think it definitely works, and its weird that people are like "its unearned". Having your main character show his face, when theres no reason why he wouldnt, isnt something you need to earn. The Mandalorian has a cultural code and rule not to remove his helment as part of the show, mastercheif has no such rule, even in the games and books. Hes enigmatic and seperated from humanity well by the show, simply by his demenour and stature, the fact that he doesnt always have his helmet on, or suit, doesnt change that.

It definitely works. Like theres lots to criticise the show for, but the whole not wearing his helmet all the time is a non issue when you watch it.

Also the opening credits does have a halo song, but its remixed into something bland and definitely a missed opportunity. Also theres a great sequence in the first episode of the spartans arming up, and they should have used something like that for the visuals of the opening instead of the kind of pixel water effect they use.

Overall honestly its not perfect by any stretch, but not at all the disaster i expected and probably the best we couldve hoped for given the tortured production, in that its got a lot that makes Halo great but is also doing its own things, most of which work, and those that dont quite work still have potential (its only 3 episodes in!)

Prohass on
  • DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    they definitely should have made the show about the ODST

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3S5I0_hjS3c

Dex Dynamo wrote: »

How many more things were there

By my estimation, there were three "One More Thing"s deployed throughout the episode

edited April 2022
    The representations of the Covenant have been great so far, especially the elites and Mgalekgolo. No grunts yet, but an offhand line about how theyre chatty. Im guessing they wont have them speak english, but will keep the squeaky voices and silly disposition.

Also the Cortana/Halsey stuff has been great and works really well which was the main thing I was worried about, Cortana especially. But I also was relieved they didnt overtune Halsey and turn her into some machevelian schemer. Her character is kept a bit more simple, only real difference to the games is shes more warm, but that warmth also makes her disregard of moral qualms more compelling to watch, and doesnt feel feigned as some grand plan, but just works as part of her complexity as a character

Prohass on
    Also, Halsey’s assistant is a freaky little pervert.

Which is to say, I assume he’s a stand-in for the gamers.

edited April 2022
    Columbo facts brought to light in the Johnny Cash episode:

- Columbo & Mrs. Columbo attend Country & Western concerts together
    - Columbo served in the Military Police in the Korean War (which technically makes a Columbo/MASH crossover possible)
    - Mrs. Columbo does all the shopping, worries about Columbo getting into danger, and also cries when she loses at bowling

Dex Dynamo on
    Prohass wrote: »
    The representations of the Covenant have been great so far, especially the elites and Mgalekgolo. No grunts yet, but an offhand line about how theyre chatty. Im guessing they wont have them speak english, but will keep the squeaky voices and silly disposition.

Also the Cortana/Halsey stuff has been great and works really well which was the main thing I was worried about, Cortana especially. But I also was relieved they didnt overtune Halsey and turn her into some machevelian schemer. Her character is kept a bit more simple, only real difference to the games is shes more warm, but that warmth also makes her disregard of moral qualms more compelling to watch, and doesnt feel feigned as some grand plan, but just works as part of her complexity as a character

See I really don’t think the Halsey performance is nearly sociopathic enough to work, at least for me. Like she’s not nearly irritated enough at everyone for getting in the way of her doing crimes against humanity

One of the few storytelling things that works in the games is her portrayal in Reach, that stuff was exceptional, she is a cold and alien motherfucker there and her dynamic is genuinely compelling! In the show she feels too… pleasant, I guess

signature-deffo.jpg
This discussion has been closed.