As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[D&D ?E] The Vastness Beyond - End Times

Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
edited August 2023 in Critical Failures
w0ung5jrsjab.jpeg

Welcome to The Vastness Beyond, a Play-by-Post adventure through the fog to a broken realm of much neglected beauty and terrible deeds best left buried.

This is the sign up period. No rush. Ask questions. Say what you’d like to see, and what you don’t. Chat amongst yourselves. Eat a bagel.

What system are we using?
The World’s Best Advertised Roleplaying Game, Dungeons & Dragons Fifth Edition.

How much do I need to post?
Once a day would be nice, but no one will be left behind unduly. Some days we’ll get a good flow going and finish a dungeon in two hours, some days we’ll be frozen at the door for the weekend. It’s ok.

I want to talk out-of-character.
A spoiler tag is grand for a big paragraph, but I’ve actually found writing a sentence in italics works great, as you can slip it between in-character narration easily rather than putting all your thoughts at the bottom of your post and without the hassle of making the font green or whatever, which a player on their phone might not be able to see anyway.
Lunaire leaps from the edge!

This is a terrible idea.

“This is a fantastic idea!”, bellows Lunaire.

So I’m thinking of making a Wizard.

I want to be MASSIVE.
Well, you’ve got a ways to go, because we’ll be starting at 1st level. I’d like the heroes of our tale to appear human for aesthetic reasons, but behind the scenes any race will do. Likewise, no real limit on classes.

Stats?
Place 15, 14, 13, 12, 10, 8 as you like.

Any house rules?
Oh yes.
Speed Combat:
In The Vastness Beyond, all weapon attacks, ranged attacks and spells that require a roll to hit are an automatic success. You don’t roll a d20 to hit, you just do it. This is true for your enemies too!

If what you’re doing forces the target to make a saving throw that remains per the standard rules.

As the Play-by-Post format is going to put hours between posts this is foremost to save time on the back and forth discussing whether you’ve hit, but it also changes how you engage in battle. A surprise round is a golden opportunity. Being outnumbered, even by the weakest of foes, is a harrowing experience. You will take damage when you engage in combat, so should you? And if so, who do you take out first? Teamwork becomes vital.

Basically, say what you’re going to do, then roll your damage.

Heavy Metal:
You’re wondering about Armour Class, right? In this game whatever your AC would be, it is now a bonus amount added to your maximum HP. Any troubles, simply ask.

Next up is shields. What purpose do they serve now? A basic shield (the one you could start the game with) can be used as a ‘get out of damage card’. Narrate when you use it to take the full force of an attack, then drop it. It’s broken. You’ll likely find stronger shields as you traverse the Vastness Beyond.

Batch Initiative:
We will use regular initiative when that’ll be the most fun, but often I’ll define if your opponents have the drop on you (they go first), are on equal footing (you go first) or if you’ve ambushed them (surprise round, then go first). Like speed combat, this is so I can take the enemy’s turns in a row and we’re not waiting days between Player A’s turn, one creature’s turn and then the next player, and so on.

As such you’ll usually be able to take your turn within any point of the party’s collective turns, rather than waiting for someone in particular.

Creative Momentum:
Whenever you use your action in combat to do something improvised rather than attack or cast a spell, I’ll give you a tangible benefit such as:
  • 1d6 to use during any roll, even damage.
  • Recover 3 HP.
  • Stun a target until the end of the round.
  • An extra action next round.

Why? So you attempt that Intimidation skill check. So you bother to swing from that chandelier. So you kick over a barrel from a ledge instead of firing an arrow for the fourth time. So you cut the rope and hold on for dear life!

Conquest Advancement:
Forget experience. Instead the world is cut into pieces and as you complete an important piece you level up. Besides that each piece will hold something vital upon completion, such as access to faster means of travel, a feat for each member of the party or the ability to upgrade equipment. How you prioritise map completion will define your tale.

I’ll post the map later today. You’ll have an honest insight into each area and their bonuses so you can make informed choices on where to delve and where to avoid, as it suits you.

What’s the lore?!?
Generally human:
You are a mortal, a human-like thing of flesh, bone, blood and guts, with a heart that burns with ambition, an ounce of courage in your back pocket and a shard of want in your eye. You came from outside The Vastness Beyond, from one of the hundreds of kingdoms that rise and fall like the tides. Define or leave blank your homeland—we’re not going back there.

Just chilled out spooky vibes:
The Vastness Beyond is a known quantity. It isn't a myth; anyone can cross the threshold in search of glory and knowledge… it’s just that no one comes back. Accounts differ, but the story more or less goes that a king, or queen, attained truest nobility and was gifted, or took, the Crown Eternal, becoming the first Enthroned, sovereign of the entire world, and poured down celestial arcana from the heavens and out to the horizon—if there was magic before their reign it was surely trifling in comparison to what came after. This was many ages ago.

Since then wars and plots on a scale not seen since—but the scars deep—shattered the Crown and encircled The Vastness Beyond in impenetrable fog… save you dared that ghost-cold wall and crept through winding, blinding cracks to arrive… somewhere long forbidden…

Keep why you’re here a dramatic secret. You don’t have to figure out why at the start of the game.

I like swords:
While there may be large metal contraptions on occasion, we’ll mostly be going for that vaguely medieval fantasy with Gothic architecture look. Like a cold, dark painting; the mountains foreboding and distant, the forest black and livid, the palace all the more grandiose for its melancholy degradation. Folks pack halberd and shield, or have a sidearm wand hidden beneath layers of robes. A knight wanders in circles, unsure of what his weathered banner signifies. Something brutal lays on its side, crows picking at the rotten meat as it whispers to a master long dead. You’ve played Dark Souls, right?

Last thing for now. If you aren’t aware already, this very forum has a built in dice roller named Geth. Just type something like…

Geth roll 1d6 for Damage
Geth roll 1d20+2 for History
Geth roll 1d4+1d8 for Deranged Laughter

And they’ll shake it out for you. What’s more, the results won’t change if you edit your post!

Further Examples:

Format

XdY to roll X dice of Y sides.
Prefix N# to roll the dice N separate times.
Operators allowed are +, -, *, and / which follow order of operations. Division rounds down. Use parentheses if needed. Full format is any number of terms combined with the operators, where term is a literal number or a roll. N can be a term itself.
Combinatorics are possible as well. N-choose-K results can be of the form NcK, the value will be the number of combinations to choose K items from a set of N items, and return a random one of these sets in the details. (i.e. 4c2 might result in 6 [4c2=1,3]) Permutations are possible in the form NpK. These terms are useful for generating sequences.

Options

Append the following modifiers as desired, if using multiple then they must be added in the order below. Some combinations may be invalid.

rZ - reroll die if result is Z or lower
roZ - reroll die only once if result is Z or lower
mZ - count result as Z if roll is lower than Z
eZ or oZ - extra / open roll when the die is Z or higher, extra grants one bonus roll only
kZ or lZ - keep the highest / lowest Z rolls, drop others
tZ - target number Z, count rolls that meet or exceed Z as successes (if Z > Y, implicit oY)
hZ - hits Z, count rolls that meet or exceed Z as successes, max roll grants bonus roll (implicit oY) (WoD)
xZ - hits Z, count rolls that meet or exceed Z as successes, max roll grants bonus success (Exalted)
uZ - under Z, count rolls that are equal to or under Z as successes
! - when at the end of any roll, turns on verbose mode (shows all dice rerolled and modified)

Some D&D roll examples:

2d20k1+5 for a roll with Advantage and a +5 modifier
2d20l1+5 for a roll with Disadvantage and a +5 modifier
1d12ro2+3 for a Great Weapon Fighting style damage reroll where you reroll once if the first result is a 1 or 2 (in this example the character has a +3 modifier to their damage roll)
1d20+1d4+5 for a roll with Bless and a +5 modifier
1d20-1d4+5 for a roll with Bane and a +5 modifier
5#1d20+1 for rolling 1d20+1 five times

Damage:
1d6 1 [1d6=1]
History:
1d20+2 6 [1d20=4]
Deranged Laughter:
1d4+1d8 7 [1d4=3] [1d8=4]

Endless_Serpents on

• Options
    x1v59ij3nh35.jpeg
    8x0tferccuj1.jpeg
    458gj2q4vkdn.jpeg
    liv9yv0ilass.jpeg
    d52oobov5sr4.jpeg
    mk5vxywr8b6h.jpeg

• Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    AC is gonna scale pretty badly and be significantly less important than normal, yeah? Trying to make sure I am grasping the math here correctly.

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    kime wrote: »
    AC is gonna scale pretty badly and be significantly less important than normal, yeah? Trying to make sure I am grasping the math here correctly.

Yeah, without that chance to hit or miss AC is a vestigial element of this system. I’ll make up for it by having the heaviest armour provide the best resistances and other effects, to make proficiency in it worthwhile.

• Options
    discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    So
    No crit hits then?
    And since when does kime read OPs

• Options
    discrider wrote: »
    So
    No crit hits then?

To be fair I didn't finish it :D

Steam profile
  • Options
    So
    No crit hits then?

No. But when you think about it, the damage dice alone can be used narratively. If you roll your highest possible damage, there’s your crit. If you end up dealing just 1 damage, that’s as if you clocked them right in the shield and took the wind out of them.

• Options
    ZomroZomro Registered User regular
    If attacks do not require attack rolls, does that mean there are no critical hits? If so, how would this affect class or racial abilities that modify critical hits, like a Half-Orc's Savage Attacks or a Champion Fighter's Improved Critical? What about spells or abilities that would normally apply advantage or disadvantage on an attack roll? Or attack modifiers in general, like Archery Fighting Style?

If AC is a bonus to HP, I assume that means that temporary bonuses to AC are the same. So Mage Armor would effectively be like a personal Aid spell increasing the caster's max HP for the duration.

Are Feats being used and, if so, are any not allowed? With no attacks rolls, I'm just going to assume that Great Weapon Master and Sharpshooter are basically a no go as they become no brainers otherwise.

• Options
    edited April 2022
    Zomro wrote: »
    If attacks do not require attack rolls, does that mean there are no critical hits? If so, how would this affect class or racial abilities that modify critical hits, like a Half-Orc's Savage Attacks or a Champion Fighter's Improved Critical? What about spells or abilities that would normally apply advantage or disadvantage on an attack roll? Or attack modifiers in general, like Archery Fighting Style?

If AC is a bonus to HP, I assume that means that temporary bonuses to AC are the same. So Mage Armor would effectively be like a personal Aid spell increasing the caster's max HP for the duration.

Are Feats being used and, if so, are any not allowed? With no attacks rolls, I'm just going to assume that Great Weapon Master and Sharpshooter are basically a no go as they become no brainers otherwise.

No critical hits, just high or low damaging rolls.

This system is very much jury-rigged for Play-by-Post, so it is going to hit obstacles. Thankfully I’ll only have to make rulings for whatever the party brings to the digital table. I might have to straight up alter a race, or decide how to make a certain class feature worthwhile.

Good call on the Mage Armor—that’s right!

Advantage and disadvantage will play out narratively with opportunities and troubles for the most part, while abilities that give you something for getting advantage, such as Sneak Attack’s extra damage will still trigger that extra damage.

There will be no feats at character creation (unless you’re going human variant I suppose). There will be ways to get feats once we’ve begun, as I can tip the scale should the party pull anything that could be considered unbalanced. I don’t mind player attempts to become powerful, I can slide the difficulty as needed.

Endless_Serpents on
  • Options
    It's more, without to hit rolls, there's no crits.
    Without crits, there's no double damage dice.
    Which breaks Rogues and Monks and Barbarians and anyone else whose gameplan is about getting spiky with the double d.

Maybe I'm overthinking it.

• Options
    It's more, without to hit rolls, there's no crits.
    Without crits, there's no double damage dice.
    Which breaks Rogues and Monks and Barbarians and anyone else whose gameplan is about getting spiky with the double d.

Maybe I'm overthinking it.

Nah, perhaps you’re right, but it seemed pretty fun the last time I used this, which was ‘The Temple of Yonth’ on this forum.

• Options
    Yeah, if it's fun, I'm definitely overthinking it.

• Options
    AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    Psssh. Thinking about characters. You gotta just pick something and regret all your choices from that moment forward!

• Options
    Zomro wrote: »

No critical hits, just high or low damaging rolls.

This system is very much jury-rigged for Play-by-Post, so it is going to hit obstacles. Thankfully I’ll only have to make rulings for whatever the party brings to the digital table. I might have to straight up alter a race, or decide how to make a certain class feature worthwhile.

Good call on the Mage Armor—that’s right!

Advantage and disadvantage will play out narratively with opportunities and troubles for the most part, while abilities that give you something for getting advantage, such as Sneak Attack’s extra damage will still trigger that extra damage.

There will be no feats at character creation (unless you’re going human variant I suppose). There will be ways to get feats once we’ve begun, as I can tip the scale should the party pull anything that could be considered unbalanced. I don’t mind player attempts to become powerful, I can slide the difficulty as needed.

So advantage / disadvantage doesn't really have an effect on combat, is that right? That's fine if so, just trying zero in on what types of characters to create. For example, if I were to create a more "tanky" character, one that protects the party, instead of using, let's say, the Protection Fighting Style (impose disadvantage), the Interception Fighting Style (reduce damage) would be the better option.

Thanks for the clarification!

• Options
    I was about to roll up a Paladin, then I realized I did that in Endless's Yonth game.

So, I have a human wizard I'll be throwing spells on to finish up. Very boy-scout/I've read about this type. Lots of book knowledge, no practical.

• Options
    What's the party size we're going for here?

Steam profile
  • Options
    edited April 2022
    What's the party size we're going for here?

3 to 6 will do. I’m not expecting many more folks will turn up from now until we start… Which could be as soon as tomorrow night, but will probably be Monday. I’m in no rush.

Edit: Everyone that has already posted is in if they’re down, plus I have someone that expressed interest before I posted this thread, so looks like we might have 5.

Endless_Serpents on
  • Options
    edited April 2022
    Arthur Lightbelly
    Sheet

eai6u9kq1scr.png

Arthur is noticeably young, especially in the way where he looks overly hopeful. He's here with a purpose, not that he has shared it, but he hasn't had a lifetime of disappointments to temper his expectations. He's smart, but in the way where he can recite what he has learned. It's painfully obvious that he doesn't have that many life experiences to draw off of, he is leaning on what he's read instead of what he's done.

AustinP0027 on
  • Options
    mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    edited April 2022
    I would be interested in creating any of these guys to add to the the final roster, based on what appropriately fills out the group and/or what sounds interesting to the host/other folks involved in the game:

- Ardentis Lux, Forsaken (Fighter-Cavalier if Horses will be involved/Champion if not)

- Korr, Bloody-Fiend of the Scorched Lands (Barbarian- Path of the Zealot)

- Ivory-Knight Verylin (Paladin-Oath of Conquest)

- Fenly-Rook, Flaggelant Priest (Cleric- Death Domain)

- Ancient Sage Gebinon (Wizard-Order of Scribes)

- Tarn, Raised-by-Wolves (Ranger-Beastmaster)

- Evil-Eye Gruush (Thief-Assassin)

- Mad Albert of the Northern Heights (Sorceror-Wild Magic)

mrpaku on
  • Options
    nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    edited April 2022
    Simon, The Last Wytch-Knight(lvl 1 fighter soon to be Eldritch Knight)

54kipduwbr6v.jpg

Simon claims a legacy membership in the legendary Wytch-Knights who were said to serve the true nobility with their combination of classic Knightly swordplay and dark arcane ritual. Although his pilgrimage through this holy land serves a greater end he does hope he will discover the secrets of Wytch-Knight sorcery along the path. The Wytch-Knights have a reputation of non-specific betrayal or deception which he dismisses as superstition or slander.

hahahahahah

haha

https://www.dndbeyond.com/characters/71679409

nightmarenny on
    Quire.jpg
  • Options
    You’ve played Dark Souls, right?

Actually, no.

But regardless, thinking of a Cleric. Gonna browse some other (sub)classes and see if anything sticks out. Bladesinger was actually the next thing on my list I wanted to try, but that feels weird in a world with auto-hits and no real AC :D

Steam profile
  • Options
    edited April 2022
    Solomon Felhand, the Sword of Retribution
    Paladin (aiming for Oath of Vengeance or maybe Oath of the Crown)

o1h9p992d5eu.jpg

Solomon is a man possessed of a strong, dour, conviction. Once a sworn defender, Solomon protected his nation with unwavering loyalty. Carrying the grim, yet all too necessary, duty to dispense justice to traitors and deserters, Solomon performed his duties faithfully and without regret. Now exiled from his homeland, Solomon has ventured into The Vastness Beyond, whether out of shame or some other purpose is unknown.

Character Sheet done, uploaded the PDF. I'll make and upload new copies when leveling up. As a note, I took Variant Human to start with a feat (Heavy Armor Master). I put a +1 in STR and CHA and Heavy Armor Master also gave another +1 STR.

Zomro on
  • Options
    You’ve played Dark Souls, right?

Actually, no.

But regardless, thinking of a Cleric. Gonna browse some other (sub)classes and see if anything sticks out. Bladesinger was actually the next thing on my list I wanted to try, but that feels weird in a world with auto-hits and no real AC :D

No worries, that was just an easy reference. This is going to be its own thing, plus you’re not all undead. When I said that I mean the world looks like this:

dkp71cq0q49k.jpeg
    927oubbqa5lh.jpeg
    iwicqaohzhyx.jpeg
    ocptjh57oy8b.jpeg
    3mrk985vcpkl.jpeg
    5t6weyxcwx0v.jpeg
    rwa4mt6clvbo.jpeg
    c82b7qed7kbp.jpeg
    e1v3klx2gu2k.jpeg

But while it will be harrowing and life threatening for our heroes, it’s not going to stay that serious, no good game ever has!

• Options
    Later on I’ll post the map, some detail on each area and the benefits of conquering them, as well as a selection of starting gifts for you to choose for your characters!

• Options
    edited April 2022
    I’ll post this again tomorrow once everyone is ready to play, but as a head’s up, here is the map. Perhaps each of you has a cheaply made map bought from some babbling fool or smiling charlatan—none of them are perfectly to scale.

c1qq4hblwiig.png

fou3fywjrka5.png

Space is mutable in The Vastness Beyond, so rather than a hex-crawl, I’ve just roughly hashed this out so you can see what area neighbours what.

For every area of the map you conquer—by defeating the Enthroned that rules it—every member of the party will level up! Plus, doing so will grant the party a tangible benefit that won’t be found elsewhere. It’s a day’s travel from one area to the next, and the areas themselves take days to cross without prior knowledge of safe routes and shortcuts.
    1. Nameless Belfry Grounds. This is where our tale will begin. Surviving your first day in the Vastness Beyond will award you a safe haven amidst a dangerous world.
    2. Oudru Catacombs. Blasphemous acts have awoken the dead deep within this mountainous region. Conquering this area will award the party the means to craft, enhance and maintain mundane equipment.
    3. Drossmire. A putrid waste broken by poisonous lakes and burnt out ruins. Conquering this area will award the party an accord with the only merchant caravan in the Vastness Beyond.
    4. Wolfen Run. Heavily guarded, the forests of the Wolfen Run are home to savages. Conquering this area will award the party with quick, safe passage to all neighbouring areas.
    5. Twinned Gardens of Estelinnia. A land of dark solitude shielded from the machinations of others. Conquering this area will award the party the means to conduct rituals and greatly improve magic equipment.
    6. Misbegotten Fringes. Deep snow buries what little remains here. Conquering this area will award the party a minor following and access to bloody mercenaries.
    7. Arden’s Deathbed. A towering fortress stands amidst fields of swords. Conquering this area will award the party higher social standing will every faction in the Vastness Beyond.
    8. Sunken Magor Venge. Once proud capital of the giants, their flames extinguished. Conquering this area will award the party with lessons in feats of gigantic power.
    9. Celestial Aerie. Sung throughout the wider world as the most beautiful place ever brought forth. Conquering this area will award the party with greater means to heal their wounds and transmogrify curses.
    10. Forge of Brilliance. A shattered mountain turned colossal forge and divine mechanism of true nobility. Conquering this area will award the party with wonders untold.
    11. Pharaste Royal Outskirts. The hills and rivers dotted with settlements clinging to the ambitions of nobility. Conquering this area is required to reach the Looking Glass Palace.
    12. Still Sea Coast. Tideless and gentle, drifting out to the fog, a blood blackened water. Conquering this area will award the party a faster means of travel and an abundance of wealth.
    13. ???
    14. ???
    15. The Loss. Called the ‘City of Victories’ thrice turned ages ago; misfortunes befall any that dare look upon it. Conquering this area will award the party terrible power.
    16. Looking Glass Palace. It cuts into the sky, all the better to draw down the stars. Ascend to end your tale.

The areas are numbered vaguely in order of difficulty, but of course, I’m just making this up on the fly for fun, so I wouldn’t want to one-shot the party. I’ll try my best to make everything seem grandiose and far reaching, but each area is actually going to be quite small, because I don’t think giving each dungeon 50 rooms is going to work online. With that in mind you’re going to level up every week or so I bet! I figure you’ll end the adventure somewhere between 10th and 15th level.

Endless_Serpents on
  • Options
    fadingathedgesfadingathedges Registered User regular
    Hmmm this looks really fun. Are you full up?

It looks like you have:

Austin - wizard
    Renny - fighter
    Kime - cleric
    MrPaku - almost anything
    Zomro - paladin

If you want a 6th, I could play a sorcerer (maybe sprinkling cleric depending on what Kime makes), or a ranger - I was thinking a 2h STR ranger instead of a DEX build, but you might have 2h-front-guys covered already here, so maybe not.

If you're full no worries!

• Options
    Hmmm this looks really fun. Are you full up?

It looks like you have:

Austin - wizard
    Renny - fighter
    Kime - cleric
    MrPaku - almost anything
    Zomro - paladin

If you want a 6th, I could play a sorcerer (maybe sprinkling cleric depending on what Kime makes), or a ranger - I was thinking a 2h STR ranger instead of a DEX build, but you might have 2h-front-guys covered already here, so maybe not.

If you're full no worries!

Hmm…

I’m calling it here! You are the final member of the party!

I’ll make the first in-character post as the DM tomorrow at about 1000GMT.

• Options
    edited April 2022
    @AustinP0027
    @Zomro
    @kime
    @mrpaku
    @nightmarenny
    @fadingathedges

Welcome to the Vastness Beyond. What single trinket did you bring with you as you crossed the fog?

Roll 1d20 or simply pick one (don’t fret about duplicates among the party, take what you like):

1. Calcified Ambition (1 use)
    Hardened chunk of raw ambition that refuses to perish. It provides warmth when clutched to the chest.

As a bonus action, absorb raw ambition to accomplish one of the following:
    • Recover 3d6 HP.
    • Increase your damage by +1d8 until your enemies are felled or fled.
    • Recover from all exhaustion and make an addition action this turn.

Once absorbed, you will receive a goal to complete before the next nightfall. Fail in this task and reap a fitting curse.

2. Intoner Catalyst
    A dagger that splits like a snake’s tongue. Ceremonial in use.

As per a basic dagger (1d4 damage, piercing, finesse, light etc.), it may also be used as a holy symbol.

When you deal a killing blow with this dagger the victim will answer one question truthfully before they fall, if they can understand you.

3. Moonlit Fragment
    Pale ore stone said to have fallen from the heavens. It is always cool to the touch.

Only a master smith could forge from such a malapert metal, but were they to…

4. Kharimiv Warrior Tassel
    Waxed, crimson horse hair tassel tied to a bronze clasp. It was by these trinkets that Kharimiv rose and fell.

During a short or long rest, you may attach the tassel to a mundane weapon. It instantly ignites with green, smokeless flame. Doing so causes the weapon’s damage type to become fire damage.

As a bonus action, you can twist and feint, drawing your opponent’s eye away with the tassel, which will cause them to deal -1d4 damage on their next turn should they engage you.

Once attached, the weapon will bend and warp with heat after a day, becoming utterly useless.

5. Ancestral Effigy
    A figure made of twigs holding a small seashell.

Likely useless.

6. Nightmaiden’s Favour Ring
    A black iron ring worn precariously thin.

While you wear this ring, creatures aligned to the Nightmaiden are neutral to you and your allies, rather than their usual ferocious stance towards ‘invaders’ that have crept through the fog into the Vastness Beyond.

7. Dancing Imp Kettle
    An small enchanted kettle depicting many imps frolicking around a fire. The kettle stands on four silvery dog-like legs.

As a free action, you can command the kettle to flash boil whatever it currently contains.

As a bonus action, you can command the kettle pour it’s contents until you bid it stop, or move up to 10 feet.

The kettle has 1 HP, deals 1 damage, can move up to 10 feet and becomes inert if it takes any damage, but may be mended with the proper spell-craft.

8. Mummified Mage Head
    The shrunken head of a once proud and feared wizard. Rarely, its lips twitch. It is tied to a leather belt by its stark white hair.

When you make an Arcana skill check, if you first declare you are listening to the head’s raspy murmurings, you gain advantage on the skill check. The DM will mark down each use of the head, and at the seventh mark you must face the consequences.

9. Fire Eater Talisman
    A arched effigy made from compacted ash tied to a beaded necklace. A sacred symbol of the long dead fire eaters.

While you wear this talisman you reduce fire damage you suffer by 1d6.

As an action, you may crush the talisman to cast the Fireball spell once.

10. Graveward Root (3 uses)
    A sickly looking root which coils around itself.

As a bonus action, you can chew on the root to ignore the effects of any poison, ailment or curse until you next take a short or long rest.

11. Radiant Splendour (1d4 uses per long rest)
    A glowing potion resting in a tall crystal bottle. The magic of the stars defies the rule of pitiable nature.

As an action, you can drink this potion to recover 3 + your current level HP.

While this potion is on your person creatures aligned to the Incandescence can perceive you out to a distance of 90 feet without fail, and you have disadvantage on Dexterity, Intelligence and Wisdom saving throws made against them.

The potion very slowly refills over time, but is poisonous until it fills completely.

12. Gossamer Knightly Banner
    Once deep blue, long faded, it depicts a rose born on a shield held aloft by a bird.

While you bear this banner you have advantage on Persuasion and Deception skill checks against members of the Knights of the Cerulean Rose.

13. Crawling Key
    A long, intricately designed iron millipede thinner than a finger. Millipedes have long represented the depravity of mortal life.

As a bonus action, you can command the key to attempt to unlock a door in your stead. Roll 1d20+6 as it picks the lock. Traps sprung will hit the key first.

The key has 1 HP, deals 1 damage, can move no worthwhile distance and becomes inert if it takes any damage, but may be mended with the proper spell-craft.

14. Demon Hunter Spyglass
    To better study their prey, hunters will first stalk from a distance. Nondescript, unadorned, yet still expensive.

By holding the spyglass to your eye you are able to see things much further away in greater detail. Through the spyglass creatures whose form has been altered are revealed by their misshapen aura, but their intentions remain concealed.

15. Patrolman’s Half-Cloak
    A fine, mottled black half-cloak fastened with a doe head badge denoting a low ranking station.

While you wear this half-cloak you have advantage on Stealth skill checks made across and within architecture.

16. Mourning Veil
    In the Lands of the Vine, such a veil signifies respectful grief, and is worn for many months.

Useless?

17. Purple Stone Ring
    A large silver ring with a purple stone inset, polished to a shine. Only six such rings were ever made, or so they say.

While you wear this ring you have resistance to thunder damage.

18. Cracked Marble Elephant
    A figurine of a bygone era. It’s tiny eyes are lifeless orbs.

Useless?

19. Snowfall
    A slightly curved blade from across the Dawn Sea. The hilt is bright white and the steel exudes potential.

Snowfall is a magic katana (1d8, versatile (1d10) slashing damage).

By choosing this weapon you have proficiency with katanas, even if you are otherwise lacking in martial weapon proficiency.

20. Ruby Topped Branch
    Wand styled after that of a long dead wizard king’s—a gaudy tribute.

An arcane foci, this wand also grants the ability to cast the Message cantrip to any touching it.

In addition, when at rest the wand will levitate vertically an inch from the surface beneath it, and can be called to return to your side as long as it is within 10 feet of you. Ownership of the wand is passed through the ritual of combat.

Endless_Serpents on
  • Options
    edited April 2022
    Too many cool choices .

Geth, roll 1d20

Edit: Purple Stone Ring

1d20 17 [1d20=17]

AustinP0027 on
  • Options
    mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    So to get the best bang for our adventuring buck, I'll be choosing between a Thief-Assassin, a Barbarian-Path of the Zealot, or a Sorcerer-Wild Magic/maybe Ranger-Beastmaster (depending on which way Fadingattheedges decides to go with their character). If anyone has any opinions on which of these would serve the party best, let me know! Leaning Thief, mainly for utility/cutthroat flavor. Any thoughts?

• Options
    Go for flavor!

• Options
    edited April 2022
    I do not have anything purchased on DnD Beyond, and couldn't really figure out a way to just custom-add things to it? But I do have things on Roll20! There's not really a great way to export the whole sheet, but it'll at least help me calculated things. Can also include a screenshot of the more important parts spoilered below. Anyways...

Kirina Hearthsgrave (Cleric, Twilight Domain)

2nvvtuybm94n.png

Kirina's friends once touted her undying hope that a single person could make a difference, that the world could be changed, that the darkness was fleeting. But... something changed; she's not the same anymore. Kirina continues to try and comfort those falling into darkness, but her heart isn't in it anymore. Whether the Vastness Beyond is related or offers any relief remains to be seen.

Character sheet snippet:
    44m3pncu86a6.png

As a side note, we doing anything special for HP rolls and such?

Geth roll 1d20 for TREASURE!

Edit: Calcified Ambition, that could be interesting...

TREASURE!:
    1d20 1 [1d20=1]

kime on
    Steam profile
  • Options
    Use whatever means to make a character sheet you have to hand. I’m happy enough with a screenshot or a PM with the basics written down if you don’t have a whole sheet available to link to.

Nothing unique for HP rolls. With AC as extra HP you’re all going to be quite healthy for 1st level adventurers!

@AustinP0027
    Man, it’s weird how random chance can line up with things, that ring goes with the rest of your outfit!

@kime
    That’s a big damn hero moment in the making. I didn’t think anyone would end up with it…

• Options
    Let's go random as well

Geth roll 1d20 for the novelty.

the novelty:
    1d20 12 [1d20=12]

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    Geth roll 1d20 for treasure

treasure:
    1d20 1 [1d20=1]

• Options
    @nightmarenny
    That is going to work surprisingly well with your character.

@fadingathedges
    I don’t think it’d be unfair to allow you one reroll if you want to be different, but it’s a fine item!

• Options
    Hmm I'm not worried about duplicating, but is variety more fun?

@Endless_Serpents I'll let you decide to have me take the Ambition as well, or assign/reroll me a different item if you think it's more exciting

• Options
    Hmm I'm not worried about duplicating, but is variety more fun?

@Endless_Serpents I'll let you decide to have me take the Ambition as well, or assign/reroll me a different item if you think it's more exciting

Naw it’s cool if you’re happy with it!

• Options
    Rolling two 1's already, off to a fabulous start :D

Steam profile
  • Options
    edited April 2022
    I always like choosing an option that would be potentially useless, but I'll leave it up to chance

Geth roll 1d20 for trinket

Intoner Catalyst, it is! Actually fits Solomon fairly well. Could have been used when executing the more... grisly portions of his duty.

I also edited my previous post with Solomon's character sheet. Just noting that I've done so here, just in case.

trinket:
    1d20 2 [1d20=2]

Zomro on
  • Options
    @nightmarenny
    That is going to work surprisingly well with your character.

@fadingathedges
    I don’t think it’d be unfair to allow you one reroll if you want to be different, but it’s a fine item!

Definitely hits a vibe!

Quire.jpg