As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Getting CO2 for a Soda Stream without supporting Soda Stream

21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short![They/Them]Registered User regular
Hey all.

I drink a lot of carbonated water and my sister got me a Soda Stream. Very nice gift except I hate the company (political reasons). That's why i never got one in the first place.

My understanding is that i'm supposed to exchange CO2 canisters at licensed vendors to get more but, uh, i don't really want to do that.

Do I have any good options?

Thanks in advance.

• Capt HowdyCapt Howdy Registered User regular
    There are places that do CO2 refills, but I couldn't tell you if your local places can handle that bottle type. Just do a quick search for CO2 refill near me and call to ask.

Steam: kaylesolo1
    3DS: 1521-4165-5907
    PS3: KayleSolo
    Live: Kayle Solo
    WiiU: KayleSolo
  • That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    Sodastream CO2 carts are proprietary and can't be refilled without special adapters. Frankly the whole system is a giant scam.

• 21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    Would there be a way to mod the machine then?

• BlazeFireBlazeFire Registered User regular
    I can't vouch for how well the solutions work, but googling "sodastream hack" brings up lots of hits. This one was first for me: https://sodastreamhack.weebly.com/

• webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    My local paintball place was able to refill the tanks for a couple bucks. I know you can get a 5lb gas cylinder and run a line with a basic adapter and you'll have gas forever.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    Those adapters are expensive. At that point, how much money are you really saving by making your own soda at home? Your sodastream would probably totally break down before you even came close to recouping the cost of investment.

• KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    That_Guy wrote: »
    Those adapters are expensive. At that point, how much money are you really saving by making your own soda at home? Your sodastream would probably totally break down before you even came close to recouping the cost of investment.

I'd been thinking about getting a Sodastream lately (although I had been unaware of their West Bank shittiness and will have to look into alternatives). Mainly for environmental reasons and to be able to make better sugar free options for our kids though. Saving money is pretty low on the list of reasons for getting one for us.

• BlazeFireBlazeFire Registered User regular
    That_Guy wrote: »

Plethora of adapters on Amazon for $16-$35.

• JaysonFourJaysonFour Classy Monster Kitteh Registered User regular
    Did some digging on Amazon and there are a few other non-Sodastream models on the market- I saw one from Philips for ten bucks cheaper.

steam_sig.png
    I can has cheezburger, yes?
  • adytumadytum The Inevitable Rise And FallRegistered User regular
    edited February 2022
    I did this a few years ago, because of the expense of purchasing seltzer and the massive amount of waste from store-bought seltzer. Note that when I looked, all the online info from blogs, etc., was out of date, so I had to guess on a few steps. Here's what I did:

1) bought a reconditioned 10-lb steel co2 tank, see: https://gascylindersource.com/product-category/co2-carbon-dioxide-cylinders/ The 10-lb lasts for months (~4-6 months for me, with multiple people drinking a reasonable amount of seltzer daily), and is a reasonable size to carry solo. The 20 lb tanks are enormous / heavy, but last forever. DO NOT BUY NEW, when you go to 'refill' your tank, they will take your empty tank and give you a full, used tank. DO NOT BUY ALUMINUM, they are much lighter, but also more expensive, and like 99% of co2 tanks are steel, so when you go to swap it, you will almost certainly end up with a used steel cylinder anyway.

2) bought a sodastream - CGA320 tank adapter & steel braided hose off ebay.

3) when it arrived, called around to find a compressed gas company that swaps co2 tanks. Airgas, Roberts Oxygen, etc. There are plenty.

4) stuck tab A into slot B and tightened with a wrench. It's a pretty simply install.

Total costs: Cylinder - $60 shipped, Adapter - $40 shipped, Cylinder refill, $30, twice a year.

Feel free to PM me if you have detailed questions!

edited to add that you can also look for used / reconditioned co2 tanks locally on craigslist or FB marketplace, but when I was looking it was slim pickings, and easier to buy from the source linked above.

adytum on
  • DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Dunno where you are but any suspect, immigrant owned bodega will 100% have an off license refill station.

What is this I don't even.
  • CaedwyrCaedwyr Registered User regular
    JaysonFour wrote: »
    Did some digging on Amazon and there are a few other non-Sodastream models on the market- I saw one from Philips for ten bucks cheaper.

When I last did some research on this, the non-SodaStream systems were quite inferior in the quality of carbonated water they created. Back then, it was use the Soda-Stream patented system or don't bother. The best option for affordable CO2 was to use a modified adapter like adytum recommends.

• Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Registered User regular
    So here in Germany you can use a sodastream and buy generic cylinders from most grocery stores that are not sodastream but actually a generic company so first I would ask your local grocery stores or check Aldi if you have it.
    Otherwise you can totally order sodstream compatible but not sodastream run cylinders and just screw them in with no need for modifications.

https://drinkmate-canada.com/pages/co2-exchange
    http://www.sodamod.com/?gclid=Cj0KCQiAuvOPBhDXARIsAKzLQ8FOTMJPbDxYwESB0Qlo7nrE127Xayf_TTje1e0pP5-4cpNneS9vNXEaAhGxEALw_wcB

You could also try SodaKid who lives in Canada and refills canisters as part of a charity service.

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-other-home-appliance/calgary/soda-kid-soda-stream-canister-exchange-service/1338772920

• CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular
    You can get knock-off sodastream tanks because my local store started stocking them when they had supply chain issues with the real deal.

• webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    edited March 2022
    I think when I did the ROI on my soda stream originally (plus two larger containers and cheap gas refills and syrup) I was looking at a savings of 50 cents per drink, so about 200ish drinks to break even on the initial investment and I know I hit that before the paintball place closed down and I stopped getting refills for the machine.

webguy20 on
    Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • SimpsoniaSimpsonia Registered User regular
    edited March 2022
    If you have a second fridge, you could also look at just ditching sodastream infrastructure entirely and switching over to kegging seltzer homebrew-style. You can get a used 5 gal corny keg for $30-40, a regulator for $50ish, and then do tank swaps at your local homebrew/hydroponics store or Airgas or whomever services the restaurants in your area for CO2. One of the nice things about kegging is that you can easily adjust your mineral profile (as long as you know your starting profile, we use our RO water as our source) to mirror/clone famous mineral waters from around the world such as San Pellegrino or Topo Chico. My wife and I got through 5 gallons of Topo Chico clone every 3 weeks or so.

If you're interested, I'd be happy to walk you through everything.

Simpsonia on
  • WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    edited April 2022
    Instead of a carbonation habit, I have an ice habit. My partner even got me a counter-top ice machine. Sometimes it's a a carbornated sugar free soda over ice, sometimes it's a Mio infusion, lots of times it's just plain lemon juice concentrate, filtered water and ice.

edit: I had just blindly sat back down at my computer and replied, this isn't helpful, sorry Pixel.

Weaver on
  • 21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    Weaver wrote: »
    Instead of a carbonation habit, I have an ice habit. My partner even got me a counter-top ice machine. Sometimes it's a a carbornated sugar free soda over ice, sometimes it's a Mio infusion, lots of times it's just plain lemon juice concentrate, filtered water and ice.

edit: I had just blindly sat back down at my computer and replied, this isn't helpful, sorry Pixel.

It's ok... At least we're on the same levels with ice and mio. :)

• DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    Hey all.

I drink a lot of carbonated water and my sister got me a Soda Stream. Very nice gift except I hate the company (political reasons). That's why i never got one in the first place.

My understanding is that i'm supposed to exchange CO2 canisters at licensed vendors to get more but, uh, i don't really want to do that.

Do I have any good options?

Thanks in advance.

I converted mine with an air hose I bought online, something like this: https://www.amazon.com/Upgraded-Kit,60in-High-Pressure-Stainless-Hose,4500PSI/dp/B08HCPHBDC?th=1

And attached it to a 20lb food grade co2 tank I bought from a homebrew store $80-100 and costs about $10 to refill through airgas

I've refilled it once in 2 years but that was with a leak issue for the first 6 months.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    Sometimes I sell my stuff on Ebay