As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Playdate] or what if Warioware Inc. made a console?

Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
2zseqbva796i.png

PLAYDATE! The most Nintendo thing to not be made by Nintendo.

What is it?:

A teeny tiny handheld console with all kinds of quirky features. Chief of which is that one of the inputs is a hand crank and it has a low-res monochrome screen.

But what games will it have?

It's a mystery! All kinds of people (including some pretty well known names) have made bespoke unique games for this thing, and with your purchase you'll get two a week beamed to you via wi-fi until you have the full first season of 24 games. More seasons will hopefully follow if the whole project doesn't crash and burn. It's also going to be widely open for homebrew and is planned to have browser based devtools released for free to all.

How much?

$179. Yup it's a comfortably well off man's toy. Make peace with it. If you think that's wild wait until you see the speaker/dock/pen holder.

When is it out?

SOON! Pre-orders open up on the 29th July. No set date for shipping but it should be this year hopefully.

Where can I find more info than this crappy OP?

https://play.date/

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2021/07/playdate-preview-you-wont-believe-how-fun-this-dorky-179-game-system-is

https://www.polygon.com/22587175/playdate-impressions-release-date-pre-order

https://www.theverge.com/22587172/playdate-hands-on-preview

MhCw7nZ.gif

• Options
    So anybody else pumped? I'm pumped. This speaks deeply to the Nintendo fan in me and I'm going to be camping out that pre-order page ready to get mine in.

It looks like it captures the pure simple joy of computer games as play things in a way that I am very on board for.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    I know it's supposed to appeal to a specific audience and isn't targeting the same feel and is much cheaper, but I still feel this is poorly timed with the Steam Deck on the horizon.

I could get one of these for $180...or pay double for a machine that plays any PC game up to the modern era and will probably be able to emulate this console and others like it comfortably.

The only thing it lacks is a hand crank.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    I actually was super interested in pre-ordering one of these because I like gadgets, and toys, and games.

But I'm not going to pre-order because the company is taking the full $180USD from you immediately upon pre-order, not when the device ships. The company says anyone who wants to cancel the pre-order at any time will get a full refund, but that still gives me pause.

Now, i'm like 95% sure this is a real product that is going to ship, but there's still a chance that this goes belly up and no product ships.

I just really don't like taking the full amount 6+ months before the product is actually available. I'll consider picking one up when I can just buy it, but I'm passing on a pre-order.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Yeah, this is basically a Kickstarter and therefore is on my hard no list.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    Does this do 4K/HDR?

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    Yeah, this is basically a Kickstarter and therefore is on my hard no list.

Not really. This isn’t some ambitious start up with an idea collecting dev funds for something that currently only exists as plans and could all amount to nothing due to development issues. It’s a well established company taking orders for the final production of a product that has been finalised after years of development.

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    Maybe I’m just lucky but out of like 40-50 Kickstarters I think only one or two failed and vanished into the ether. I may preorder this.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    I swear I remember seeing this like 4 years ago or something. How long have they been working on this?

• Options
    There was a big announcement in Edge magazine back in 2019 when they thought it was imminently to be out. Then it got a combo of standard unexpected delays plus all the fun of 2020 and here we are.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    Pre-orders are open.

Honestly, it's such a weird device that... after the hellscape that the last year and so have been, just looks fun? And it's something I can use right about now. Was able to snag a pre-order for a Late 2021 delivery one.

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    It's neat, and I know simplicity is the point of it, but I still sort of wish it was backlit. I just can't justify the price though.

• Options
    BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    Maaannnnn, such bad timing. I was super excited to pre-order one of these this year... until I suddenly needed a new phone. Not sure if it's a good idea anymore.

• Options
    EntriechEntriech ? ? ? ? ? Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    I was really excited about this and hopped onto the shop as soon as it opened up, but apparently their international shipping plugin provider (Shopify) wasn't anticipating the demand, so many trying to buy internationally were stuck on error screens. By the time it was resolved, they sold out of their 2021 allotment. Sour enough taste in my mouth that I'm just going to pass on getting one now.

• Options
    Welp, sold out of their initial 20k units in around 20 mins apparently. I bloody left my phone with the alarm set upstairs and had a nap! By pure chance happened to go into the bedroom about 10 past order opening, saw the alarm message and dashed to the computer. Got my order in at 14 mins past and managed to just get in on the first batch. Seems I was double lucky as lots of international orders were having issues but mine was a breeze.

Roll on ‘late 2021’!

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    akjakakjak Thera Spooky GymRegistered User regular
    I might have pre-ordered one, but I wasn’t “get an alert and goooo” so… fuck me I guess.

Switch: SW-4133-1546-2720 (Thera)
    Twitch: akThera
    Steam: Thera
  • Options
    BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    I was walking my dog and happened to turn on my phone and open twitter at 1004am and immediately saw a playdate post saying the preorders were open.

So I get a first batch one, as well!

Excited for this stupid little toy

• Options
    edited November 2021
    A little news and shipping update:

Good news; the first wave made it to the US. Yay!
    Bad news: they were QA testing them and they noticed the battery capacity wasn’t quite right, and that a few units weren’t powering on or charging when drained. Which was weird, since they were the same batteries the Dev units were using and they weren’t having the same problem. So they’re taking a bullet and ordered a new batch of batteries from a different supplier that tested fine and are looking to might actually be better? But they have to ship the first wave back to the factory to have them changed out, and that’s going to take time, bumping the release back to Early 2022.

Covid News: Hey, you’ve heard there’s a chip shortage out there? Probably?

Yeah, apparently they can’t get more of the CPU’s the Playdate uses for two literal years. So they decided to do a motherboard revision for newly made units with a new CPU that’s actually widely available. There shouldn’t be any changes to the experience between the two… but that’s a thing that happened.

Actual Good News: The SDK’s almost ready to release to the public! The Pulp SDK should be dropping in January, and the full SDK should be dropping in February.

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
  • Options
    Yeah, that was a roller coaster ride of an update. Not that I wasn’t expecting a delay at this point, but you’ve got to feel for them.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
  • Options
    persona4celestia.jpg
  • Options
    Anyone in group 1? I only made group 2.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    YoungFreyYoungFrey Registered User regular
    Anyone in group 1? I only made group 2.
    Group 1 here. No communication from them yet.

• Options
    edited April 2022
    Review units are starting to go out to some outlets.

A Twitter thread with some of the stuff people have been doing. Heads-up that there's some spoilers in there for the Season One games and the first-time boot-up sequence in there, but they seem to be pretty well labeled.

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
  • Options
    Yeah, I'm in the slightly odd position of being excited about imminent PlayDate and wanting to read and talk about it, but also knowing I'm in dispatch group 2 so will be waiting a little a longer and wanting to preserve the fun of surprise on the new games as they get delivered to me.

I think maintaining the surprise is the better option long term so I'm steering away from reading or watching much for now.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    I'm group one and trying not to learn anything about it. It is very hard not to click on articles or twitter threads.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    MrBlarneyMrBlarney Registered User regular
    Meanwhile, I'm in Group 5, hoping to get mine by the end of the year. And in the meantime, thinking if I should get off my butt and commit to spending some of my precious free time to learning how to work with the SDK and create a simple game...

4463rwiq7r47.png
  • Options
    Approx 1 month of seething jealousy. I think I can live with that.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    Assuming the same number shipped each day (this assumption should be more accurate the closer you are to the end of this group), that is 139.5 shipped per day.
    Today+Your Number/139.5

• Options
    Trying to estimate to that level, that way madness lies.

I'm just on about them saying in the tweet that they reckon they might get group one shipped within a month and I'm in group 2.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    A PSA, in case anyone has one coming soon: some units may be a bit sleepy and batteries drained due to all the travel they’ve been doing. If it doesn’t turn on immediately , plug it in and let it charge for like a hour first.

persona4celestia.jpg
  • Options
    For the first group of 6000, my estimate should be an outside bound

I'm just on about them saying in the tweet that they reckon they might get group one shipped within a month and I'm in group 2.

Mine just shipped yesterday. Which means they have averaged over 330 units shipped every day. So they are well on track to get group 1 out before mid May. And that is 18 (working) days per group.

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Mine will arrive Monday.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular

Did you see the elaborate spreadsheets and calculators people made for estimating the shipping dates of Steam Decks? The internet is already fully into the way of madness.

• Options
    My Playdate arrived! It is extremely cute! Sideloading games is very easy and mine is now downloading some 3rd party stuff.

• Options
    I've tried some 3rd party games so far. All from Itch.io.
    • Life's Too Short ($1) is a cute little adventure game where you play as a ghost going into a mansion to help. It is short but neat.
    • Bloom ($9.99) is a solid recommendation. There is some real time elements with weather, planting flowers, talking to people via text message, a story, and really really good graphics. Like, legitimately good. You play it for a couple minutes a day and then check back the next day. It is the most "game" of any of the 3rd party stuff I've seen so far.
    • A Joke That’s Worth $ 0.99 ($0.99) I am really bad at. You got to bounce a little dude on an in game Playdate crank using the real Playdate crank and while keeping a volley going it starts to tell you a joke.

• Options
    Seething jealousy

I’d already earmarked the 0.99c joke game based on the trailer (sound on)

https://youtu.be/F7Gc6cTXloE

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    Got my address confirmation email from playdate, group 2 order number ~12000.

Says confirm address before June 8th, so still a few weeks before shipping, but getting closer

• Options
    Same here!

MhCw7nZ.gif