As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Come talk about the Jaguar, 3DO and Gex in the [Retro Games] Thread

• TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    Jazz wrote: »
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    Betsuni wrote: »
    I love the fact that you paid less for the game now than when it was released.

Funnily enough, that's true of CC's remaster for me. I believe it was $50 on the PS1 when it launched?

It's true of many, but definitely different when it's an arguably collectible original copy (I assume?) of a 40+ year old game.

The guy also included that copy of Zork I. Both are complete with all the feelies, and the Zork 2 is still in plastic.

I think... I think I just robbed somebody.

• KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    Taramoor wrote: »
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    Betsuni wrote: »
    I love the fact that you paid less for the game now than when it was released.

Funnily enough, that's true of CC's remaster for me. I believe it was $50 on the PS1 when it launched?

It's true of many, but definitely different when it's an arguably collectible original copy (I assume?) of a 40+ year old game.

The guy also included that copy of Zork I. Both are complete with all the feelies, and the Zork 2 is still in plastic.

I think... I think I just robbed somebody.

Nah. He just got tired of having it. That stuff piles up. He probably has a backup copy or has it on gog.

Odds are that the floppies are bad. I have had bad luck with floppy games.
    USB floppy drives behave kind of weird. Either that or the one I got is not made that well.

• BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    Taramoor wrote: »
    I’m such a nerd I’m going to stream myself playing through Zork. Why am I like this? It’s ridiculous.

Try not to get eaten by a grue.

And a truly OG version of Zork would be a couple of personally copied off-brand floppies in a zip lock bag with labels written in Sharpie.

I have that somewhere... Knowing me though I probably tossed it in the bin with a bunch of other stuff.

I do have a Mines of Moria homemade game disk, dot matrix printed cover, and plastic case in my desk at work.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    This line of thought reminds me I should dig out my vintage copies of Seastalker, Infidel, and Leather Goddess of Phobos and check the data integrity on the 5.25's

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • JazzJazz Registered User regular
    edited April 2022
    This line of thought reminds me I should dig out my vintage copies of Seastalker, Infidel, and Leather Goddess of Phobos and check the data integrity on the 5.25's

I'll have to ask my dad if he still has The Dambusters on 5.25". It was the one single game he had for the CGA 8086 PC he was using back in the days I had my Atari ST. (Good game too, but as I was then unfamiliar with MS-DOS, coming from a relatively slick and user-friendly machine like the ST with things like auto-booting 3.5" disks and a genuinely good GUI to that clunky-ass PC was a real culture shock. But that's where the business software compatible with his work was, so that's what he needed. Never mind that it was far less machine - power-wise if not size-wise - for far more money than the ST was. It was a weird time.)

Jazz on
    edited April 2022
    I am tempted to get that Amiga mini, but I am kinda running out of room in the apartment. I actually could squeeze it next to the PS5.

Is there anything really good on it? I guess you can add games.

The price seems pretty steep...
    https://www.amazon.com/A500-Mini-electronic-games/dp/B09CM1C3LX/ref=sr_1_1?crid=K585A73S65PS&keywords=amiga+mini&qid=1649793488&sprefix=Amiga+mini,aps,140&sr=8-1

Krathoon on
    I wouldn't mind getting into this game. The 6th one is a little too old. I would have to check if the 6th one is connected to the story of the 7th.
    https://youtu.be/8RcLIQhSibA

edited April 2022
    Krathoon wrote: »
    I am tempted to get that Amiga mini, but I am kinda running out of room in the apartment. I actually could squeeze it next to the PS5.

Is there anything really good on it? I guess you can add games.

The price seems pretty steep...
    https://www.amazon.com/A500-Mini-electronic-games/dp/B09CM1C3LX/ref=sr_1_1?crid=K585A73S65PS&keywords=amiga+mini&qid=1649793488&sprefix=Amiga+mini,aps,140&sr=8-1

It's not the cheapest, by any means. If the C64 is anything to go by it may drop in price. The hardware is nice, good quality stuff. The mini computer itself is gorgeous, the controller is more than acceptable, and the mouse is excellent.

Yeah, you can add stuff to it without much difficulty. The manual (the full one, available for download) covers everything except, obviously, creating or otherwise getting hold of the .lha files.

I've not played everything on it yet, but here's the full line-up - I've bolded some of my favourites. I'm sure I'll be adding more even just from this list.

Alien Breed 3D
    Alien Breed: Special Edition '92
    Another World
    Arcade Pool
    ATR: All Terrain Racing
    Battle Chess
    Cadaver
    California Games
    The Chaos Engine
    Dragon's Breath
    F-16 Combat Pilot
    Kick Off 2
    The Lost Patrol
    Paradroid 90
    Pinball Dreams
    Project X: Special Edition '93
    Qwak
    The Sentinel
    Simon the Sorcerer
    Speedball 2: Brutal Deluxe
    Stunt Car Racer
    Super Cars II
    Titus the Fox
    Worms: Director's Cut
    Zool

Jazz on
    edited April 2022
    It looks like Wizardry 6-8 are a whole story arc.

Anachronox is dirt cheap on gog. Less than a buck.
    https://www.gog.com/game/anachronox

The Bitmap Brothers didn't make allot of games. Here are all of them.
    Xenon (1988)
    Speedball (1988)
    Xenon II: Megablast (1989)
    Cadaver (1990)
    Speedball 2: Brutal Deluxe (1990)
    Cadaver: The Payoff (1991)
    Gods (1991)
    Bike / Triple X / Havoc (cancelled)
    Magic Pockets (1991)
    The Chaos Engine (Soldiers of Fortune) (1993, 2013)
    The Chaos Engine 2 (1996)
    Z (1996)
    Speedball 2100 (2000)
    Z: Steel Soldiers (2001)
    Speedball Arena (cancelled)
    Warbots (unreleased)
    World War II: Frontline Command (2003)
    Brutal Deluxe / ブルータル デラックス (unreleased)
    SpeedBall 2: Evolution (2012)

Krathoon on
    edited April 2022
    https://youtu.be/s28udvMPXeA

Ohhhhh, I can get this for $58 using Visa card points. Hmmmmm...

Krathoon on
    edited April 2022
    That seems like a good deal!

Edit: the first few seconds of that video, oh good grief... 16/32-bit CPU? It was a Motorola 68000, same as the ST and Genesis. Five kilobytes of RAM? Hardly; try 512 kilobytes in Amiga 500 trim. Jeez, some of these Youtubers, I swear. Edit edit: at 0:34, it was not a goddamn console, you utter ignoramus (even if this version sort of is).

Uuuuugh.

Jazz on
    edited April 2022

Edit: the first few seconds of that video, oh good grief... 16/32-bit CPU? It was a Motorola 68000, same as the ST and Genesis. Five kilobytes of RAM? Hardly; try 512 kilobytes in Amiga 500 trim. Jeez, some of these Youtubers, I swear. Edit edit: at 0:34, it was not a goddamn console, you utter ignoramus (even if this version sort of is).

Uuuuugh.

Yeah. He needs to research the hardware. Getting lazy.
    I am hearing there are some sound and graphics issues on some of the side loaded games.
    That is in the NeoGaf thread on it.
    https://www.neogaf.com/threads/the-amiga-500-mini-announced.1615225/page-11#post-265991310

Krathoon on
    Oh, awesome, I'll have to check out that update mentioned there.

To answer your question there, by the way: no, the controller is not wireless.

• cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    I really couldn't get into classic Wizardry. My favorites are the Japanese spinoffs, which feel vastly more playable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ve8scxL6ySA

wVEsyIc.png
    I guess they sold the Wizardry I.P. to a Japanese company.

• cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    I guess they sold the Wizardry I.P. to a Japanese company.

Not even, it's licensed, but they basically have open season to make all the games they want. (And boy did they ever, there's probably more JP ones than Western at this point.)

wVEsyIc.png
    I am surprised they are willing to pay the license. I guess it is a cash cow.

It's practically a religion.

wVEsyIc.png
  • DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular

It's not as popular here as it is in Japan so it may not be very evident, but Wizardry-likes are extremely popular in Japan.

• rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular

Edit: the first few seconds of that video, oh good grief... 16/32-bit CPU? It was a Motorola 68000,same as the ST and Genesis. Five kilobytes of RAM? Hardly; try 512 kilobytes in Amiga 500 trim. Jeez, some of these Youtubers, I swear. Edit edit: at 0:34, it was not a goddamn console, you utter ignoramus (even if this version sort of is).

Uuuuugh.

In fairness, Atari did call it the Sixteen Thirty-two...

edited April 2022
    Dare I play Drakengard? I kind of bounced off of it long ago. It is a pretty elaborate game.
    I have a morbid curiosity about that series. The games are so messed up.
    https://youtu.be/ZG3PnfXFOYY

Krathoon on
    edited April 2022

Edit: the first few seconds of that video, oh good grief... 16/32-bit CPU? It was a Motorola 68000,same as the ST and Genesis. Five kilobytes of RAM? Hardly; try 512 kilobytes in Amiga 500 trim. Jeez, some of these Youtubers, I swear. Edit edit: at 0:34, it was not a goddamn console, you utter ignoramus (even if this version sort of is).

Uuuuugh.

In fairness, Atari did call it the Sixteen Thirty-two...

You know, I'd forgotten that... I guess my memory had just retained the other idea often mooted at the time that it was named after Sam Tramiel.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motorola_68000

And it turns out I apparently need to eat some humble pie myself, even Wikipedia notes it as a "16/32-bit complex instruction set computer (CISC) microprocessor, introduced in 1979 by Motorola Semiconductor Products Sector." :confounded: At the time it was generally just talked about as a 16-bit chip - of course most famously advertised prominently on the Mega Drive / Genesis case itself! But yeah, guess I need to heed my own lesson and be a tad more diligent on research.

I stand by my other grumbles though :wink:

Jazz on
    Drakan is a pain to find on eBay. I have the disc somewhere.

• ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    Dare I play Drakengard? I kind of bounced off of it long ago. It is a pretty elaborate game.

Do not play Drakengard. Just read the LPs.

Definitely play Nier though.

uyvfOQy.png
  • rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    Turns out Retro Games LTD is just the latest company wiping their ass with open source licenses.

Reynolds wrote: »

Do not play Drakengard. Just read the LPs.

Definitely play Nier though.

Strongly disagree. Play Drakengard, experience it firsthand.

wVEsyIc.png

Uuuuugh.

Yeah. He needs to research the hardware. Getting lazy.
    I am hearing there are some sound and graphics issues on some of the side loaded games.
    That is in the NeoGaf thread on it.
    https://www.neogaf.com/threads/the-amiga-500-mini-announced.1615225/page-11#post-265991310

Following up - updating that xml file (listed just above your linked post) has got a bunch of things working that weren't before. Thanks for pointing it out to me! @Krathoon

• MMMigMMMig Registered User regular
    You know what game has passed the test of time?
    Started this again a few months ago (make sure to use the fan-made HD launcher) and it's been awesome.
    u9a34m3c5ytp.jpg

l4lGvOw.png
    Witty signature comment goes here...

wra
    What's that?

Heroes of Might and Magic 3.

There's a decent streaming community on twitch even, and a fan-based competitive scene as well.

l4lGvOw.png

wra
  • BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    I should boot that game back up again. Started it long ago but never finished it.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    MMMig wrote: »
    Heroes of Might and Magic 3.

There's a decent streaming community on twitch even, and a fan-based competitive scene as well.

Played at a resolution never even imagined, much less intended (and frankly, it looks great, I'm getting Warcraft II vibes from it). I'm pretty sure I've never seen the game running higher than 800x600, if that.

It's kind of glorious to see games built for 640x480, 800x600, or at absolute most 1024x768 (which, blimey, is damn close to 720p, and higher res vertically!) running at a modern resolution on a modern display - remember monitors were basically 14", 15", or 17" once upon a time and that was your lot.

Yeah the fan-made mod pumps the graphics even better than the HD version available to buy. It also adds sooooo many UI improvements that makes it a lot easier to manage.

Pretty amazing what a loving community can do for a game.

l4lGvOw.png

wra
    There is this community patch for Drakan: Order of the Flame, but Windows 10 sees that it has a virus.
    I think it is a false positive.

The House of the Dead remake looks good. It still has that campy feel.
    https://youtu.be/R6B7S2e-bOA

edited April 2022
    They did remove all the bats in that one scene. I don't get why.
    It is pretty impressive that they kept it so close. They did not have the source code.
    They might have been able to get the scripting for the scenes from the game files and upgrade it somehow.

Krathoon on
    I finally got Drakan to work in Windows 10. It is a pretty buggy game. I found a fan patch that fixes it up for modern setups.
    It is the AIO patch. They recommend the community patch, but it is getting detected as a virus in Win10.
    https://www.arokhslair.net/wp/downloads/

The game installer does not work in Win10, so I had to install it in my WinXP VM. Then, I copied the game directory to Win10.
    I guess it does not need the registry to run. The game has allot of graphics issues in WinXP. Not certain if it is the Vmware video card.

Really, I would recommend the sequel. This one kind of felt more like a prototype.

edited April 2022
    Gebs always entertains me. She really digs into things.
    https://youtu.be/l53nrH2-n8c

Krathoon on