As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[D&D 5E] The Crown of Charon - The Eviscerator

MatevMatev Cero MiedoRegistered User regular
edited June 2022 in Critical Failures
Since the time when the gods first created mortal life, Charon, the infernal boatman, has ferried the dead across the River Styx and into the afterlife. In exchange, he has collected an eternity’s worth of tolls, ranging from the simple copper coins of peasants to the mythic and mystical relics wielded by those who shaped the land of the living.

It is these treasures that you seek to claim. Legend holds that those who pass away without a proper burial are cursed to wander the shores of the River Styx, unable to cross into the Exalted Domain of Elysium. It is on this river that Charon’s pyramid exists, a grim monument attracting all who seek to escape their purgatory.

For a share of the spoils, the Dread Priestess of the Ashen Cloister agrees to poison you and lay you out, unburied, in her courtyard for one night. You will die, only to descend into the underworld in an attempt to enter Charon’s lair. You have until sunrise to liberate all that you can carry from his pyramid, chief among the prizes being an artifact known only as the Crown of Charon. With this relic, one can commune with and seize control of the spirit of any mortal that has passed into the kingdoms of the gods.

When morning’s light breaks, the Dread Priestess will use a ritual to call your spirit and any treasures you have claimed back to your living frame.

Will you plumb the pyramid of all it's spoils, or will you return, poorer, wiser, and rightfully fearful of what lies beyond the veil?

ME Productions presents....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lyk9Y61nR4M

The Crown of Charon

FAQs

So... what system is this being run in?
Why Dungeons and Dragons 5e, as if there was any other system in this world? (Oh god it burns)

Posting Requirements?
Try to post once a day as you can, and of course I know it'll be slow going on the weekends, but in general, as long as someone is interacting, we'll keep things moving.

is OOC chatter ok?
Totally. If Ron Howard narration spoiler tags is easier for you, fine. If you prefer the soto voce italics peppering your post, whatever floats your boat. You are encouraged to confer both in and out of character to navigate Charon's Pyramid.

What's the Starting Level?
This adventure assumes you're big enough deals that you're ready to start challenging the gods and committing other fun acts of hubris and begin to be able to back it up.

Your characters will be Level 13.

Give them a story, feel free to make them badasses, cause they are. Charon's realm is not easily steaded like so many mortal fastnesses.

Build Rules
WotC published mats, no Unearthed Arcana. Point buy for your stats. Starting equipment will be:
5,000 gp plus 1d10 × 250 gp
Three uncommon magic items
One rare item
Normal starting equipment to fill out any gaps. (REMINDER: Retainers and non class feature pets will not be hardy enough to traverse the veil, so plan accordingly)

Anything non-standard about this game's rules
Quite.

Standard KGM Mutators
Knee-Deep in the Dead - When you score a critical hit, max out your regular damage roll, roll critical damage as normal.
Hurt Me Plenty - When a monster scores a critical hit against you, it's regular damage roll will be maximized.
Glory Kill - A sufficiently described monster kill that exceeds lethal HP by 30% of the monster's max HP or more will be granted Inspiration and a free action 2nd wind (Heal 1 hit die +13). If the final blow misses, the monster teleports up to 40 ft.
Killing Spree - Killing 2 or more monsters in the same turn grants Inspiration and an extra action.

Non-Standard Mutators
No Rest For the Wicked - No long rests may be taken. Short rests may be taken as necessary with buy in from the whole party.
Spawn In - If a character perishes, their replacement will join the party as soon as it's convenient (Post-Combat or immediately if not in initiative order). New characters are assumed to be fresh with all spells and features fully charged, unless countermanded during play. This mutator deactivates when the final arena is entered.
High Score - Objectives achieved and rooms explored will contribute to the party's overall score. Each new character that spawns in will incur a 50 point penalty towards the final score.
Quarter Up - New Players are allowed to join from the Forbidden Feast so long as overall party size is maintained between 4-6 with agreement between all players.
The Night Stretches On - This game will have a loose time limit of about 3 Months (With possible extension depending on circumstances) If the Crown is not claimed in this time, the characters will be revived with whatever treasures they have looted from the Ferryman and will have the baleful gaze of the gods on them forevermore.

Any particular lore?
The World is one made as the gods wished for a place of stability and order away from the roiling maelstrom of Chaos from which they were spawned from. While they do love and adore the world and al lthey have created to live on it, much of their attention is spent preventing Chaos from encroaching on the cosmos to consume all that is and will be, which can lead to the rise of evil and injustice in the World.

Feel free to fill in gaps as you like.

To roll, our lovely local murderous bot can help. Just beseech it thusly:

Geth, roll 1d20 for Death Saving Throw
Geth, roll 2d8+9 for Longsword damage

and so on and so on.

Playerlist
1. Bursar
2. The Brayster
3. Endless_Serpents
4. AustinP0027
5. kime
6. fadingathedges

Quartered Up

Death Saving Throw:
1d20 11 [1d20=11]
Longsword damage:
2d8+9 15 [2d8=3, 3]

"Go down, kick ass, and set yourselves up as gods, that's our Prime Directive!"
Hail Hydra
Matev on

• MatevMatev Cero Miedo Registered User regular
    And sure, mood board:

4veo5h7vmsza.png

r6pgtpxeksm0.png

4a3b09e99cdj.png

3iyh8045zrph.png

w0rpdochyq4q.png

j0lptbgwoqhq.png

Hail Hydra
  • BursarBursar Hee Noooo! PDX areaRegistered User regular
    Oh, this sounds fun. I'm interested!

GNU Terry Pratchett
    PSN: Wstfgl | GamerTag: An Evil Plan | Battle.net: FallenIdle#1970
    Hit me up on BoardGameArena! User: Loaded D1
    egc6gp2emz1v.png
    Geth, roll 1d10 for Starting Gold

Starting Gold:
    1d10 5 [1d10=5]

GNU Terry Pratchett
    egc6gp2emz1v.png
    I have an interesting concept for a Barbarian (Storm Herald) former temple guard, but the "No Rest For the Wicked" option makes that a very risky proposition.

GNU Terry Pratchett
    egc6gp2emz1v.png
    edited April 2022
    Bursar wrote: »
    I have an interesting concept for a Barbarian (Storm Herald) former temple guard, but the "No Rest For the Wicked" option makes that a very risky proposition.
    The by-blows of the gods' wills are often forgotten by the deities themselves, and are usually left behind for mortals to clean up the mess. The birth of a minotaur to otherwise human parents is not unheard of, but it is taken as a sign that one of the gods had taken displeasure on the poor child's bloodline at some nebulous point in the past. The infant is immediately taken away by the Temple and raised in piety, to serve the gods and hopefully cleanse its parents and siblings of any future genetic wrath.

Brygos was one such child, and was immediately whisked off by the local Temple to be raised in pious solitude at a monastery in the desert. While he initially showed interest in religious doctrine, his teachers instead preferred that he become a holy warrior for the Temple's various causes. Without a teacher capable of matching Brygos's natural strength, his combat abilities are nearly entirely self-taught and rely on his powerful physicality and a eerie communion with the harsh desert environment.

Though devout, Brygos proved dull in his studies and was deemed unfit for more "creative" combat applications (assassin, crusader), and he served as a Temple guardian for many years. News of the latest endeavor to plumb the treasures of the Underworld reached word of Brygos's superiors, who ordered him to attend to the Ashen Cloister to be part of the next expedition, ensuring the return of lost relics and powerful cthonic knowledge.

q85m471zt9xi.jpg

Character sheet: https://www.dndbeyond.com/characters/71809716

With over 6k gold burning a hole in my pocket, I bought some uncommon magic items at the max price listed in DMG. If I need to pay more or can't have these, let me know!

Starting Gold: 5k + (5 x 125) = 6125

Starting Magic items:
    Bracers of Defense (Rare), attuned
    Maul of Warding (Uncommon), attuned
    Cloak of Protection (Uncommon), attuned
    Efficient Quiver (Uncommon)

Purchased items:
    Longbow (50)
    Arrows x60 (3)
    Bag of Holding (500)
    Goggles of Night (500)
    Ring of Water Walking (500)
    Boots of Elvenkind (500)
    Potion of Healing x9 (50 x 9)
    Potion of Healing (Greater) x6 (250 x 6)
    Pole of Angling (100)
    Parchment x 30 (3)

Cash on hand: 2019 GP

Bursar on
    GNU Terry Pratchett
    egc6gp2emz1v.png
    Nice, I love the idea of this Minotaur who’s like, a reliquary guardian and has been fending off rival sects and pillagers cause the priesthood didn’t have a use for him elsewhere

Hail Hydra
  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    I’ll let others fill the spaces first as I’m kinda busy, but if it seems like you’re low on party members I will deploy Conquering King Bïgdiache “Biggie” Shwyngïng, high elven barbarian/druid.

ah3lzocbf05f.jpeg

Magic item ideas:
    Boots of Elvenkind (uncommon)
    Cloak of Elvenkind (uncommon)
    Eyes of the Eagle (uncommon)
    Ring of Regeneration (rare)

Just because he is the most elf, not especially for power.

The elfest elf to ever elf out of elfland (they really hate when you call a kingdom of the forest that)

Hail Hydra
  • The BraysterThe Brayster UKRegistered User regular
    Put me down as Very Interested.

I have a couple of character ideas so I'll commit them to paper when I sit down for longer than 10 minutes.

Steam: TheBrayster
    PSN: TheBrayster_92
    edited April 2022
    Still working out some smaller details and balancing numbers, but I have a core concept to share:

Azara Pentaghast - Half-Orc Bard.
    uzeeh07ada1m.jpg

Character Sheet: https://www.dndbeyond.com/characters/71901524

I haven't bought any supplementary material so a couple of things aren't reflected on there - Azara is part of the College of Valor, granting proficiency in medium armor, shields and martial weapons. At lvl 13, it also grants Combat Inspiration and Extra Attack.

Equipment:
    Dragon slaying Scimitar (Rare)
    Scimitar +1 (uncommon)
    Adamantine Scale Mail (uncommon)
    Cloak of Protection (uncommon)

Bag of Holding (500GP)
    Potion of Healing x 10 (500gp)
    Climbers Kit (25gp)
    Healers Kit (5gp)

Remaining GP: 4735gp.

Born of the union of a Human Nobleman and an Orcish Chieftess, on paper Azara had the potential to be brought up as a pillar of noble society among the humans, or in a position of strength and respect among the orcish clans. Being the offspring of both races, however, ensured that Azara would receive neither. Among the humans she would be ostracised as a brutish animal, a barbarian among civilised peoples. Among the Orcs, she would be seen as weak, impure, a laughingstock to those who would value the strength of bloodlines above all else.

From her Father, of whom she has no waking memory, she has inherited a name, and name only. From her Mother, she has inherited the blood-right to a hereditary tattoo (that is, a tattoo of imagery representing the family line, passing from Father to Son, or Mother to Daughter), carved upon her shoulder. Her inherited image is that of a Cricket, which further compounded her ridicule through her adolescence, for what Orc could say they were proud to be represented by such a 'weak' creature. What none of them could have anticipated, however, was the latent power that lay dormant within, which would only reveal itself over time through the many trials Azara would face leaving her tribe behind for the wider world.

Over time, Azara has been a part of a number of mercenary groups and adventuring parties. Along the way, she discovered she was capable of feats she couldn't explain, until eventually she and her fellows came to a realization - her tattoo was reacting to, and seemingly feeding off of, music. Azara, from her background, certainly was no stranger to war drums and battle cries, but she now faced the prospect of improving her musical skills in a more... traditional manner, to improve her abilities in combat, and her capacity for aiding her comrades. This meant studying at courts and academies across the realms, which also required blending in the societies for which her heritage made her an outsider, changing everything from her style of dress to her manner of speaking. Not one to abandon her true passions, however, Azara learned to incorporate her musical learning into her combat role, earning her the moniker of "War Poet" among those who knew of her.

Geth, roll 1d10 for extra gold

extra gold:
    1d10 3 [1d10=3]

The Brayster on
  • AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    edited April 2022
    Same as Endless, put me down in the Quartered up section so others get a shot first (but I can jump in if you need more people).

Sylborin "Sy" Hardbrook
    Half-Elf Swashbuckler
    "Steal from a god and they'll remember you forever"
    Sheet: ddb.ac/characters/59380733/blMxWC
    twrt0w45xvo4.jpeg

Items:
    Starting GP: 7500

Cloak of Displacement (rare)
    Boots of Elvenkind (uncommon)
    Rapier +1 (uncommon)
    Stone of Good Luck (uncommon)

Purchased:
    Bag of Holding (500)
    Potion of Greater Healing x 5 (250x5= 1250)
    Potion of Healing x10 (50x10 = 500)
    Studded Leather Armor (instead of starting leather) (45)
    Driftglobe (500)
    Gauntlets of Ogre Power (500)

Total Spend: 3,295

Sylborin Hardbrook was the product of a bored elf maiden finding excitement from a tryst with a human adventurer. His father had quite the way with words and songs, and soon after, his mother found herself with a surprise while his father found himself tied down to one place (mostly through threats from elven family members). Sylborin was born, and knew nothing of the politics of the world, but they affected him the same. His family came from an olden generation of elven society that still shunned half-breeds, and so he and his mother were unofficially forced to leave, now traveling with his father across the lands.

Sy (shortening his name to fit in with humans better) grew up with all of his father's charisma and all of his mother's elven grace. But he directed it in ways that neither of them approved of. Fast with words and even faster with his fingers, Sy found himself in an ever escalating game of one upping his own achievements. Anything that he wanted, he tried to have, and the more he was told he was supposed to, the harder he tried.

As he got older, he quickly learned that moving from place to place kept most of the trouble he caused at bay, but he started to collect bigger bounties on his name as his escapades escalated. His fame grew amongst the Thieves world, just as the disdain of the upper class grew every time he stole something valuable. His last job had been to steal the famed Jewel of the Three Rivers from some lord who had more money than sense, but it also brought the highest bounty on his head yet. Sy needed to lie low for a while, but he wasn't willing to just disappear into some obscure village. So, he need a big job, something to set him up with enough riches that he could buy an estate off in the countryside to let the heat burn down enough until he could plan his next big adventure.

Feels like every big heist group needs the one guy who just wants the money.

I'll deal with magic items and stuff later if he ends up getting pulled in (have a couple but not finalized). Edited in up above.

AustinP0027 on
    Nice, and there is a lot of money in that pyramid (As written, you each walk away with 1,000 gold of stuff for every room in the pyramid you get into. cause we assume you're grabbing anything not bolted down)

Hail Hydra
    Geth, roll 1d10 for Gold

Gold:
    1d10 10 [1d10=10]

edited April 2022
    We’ll see if we get a few more bites over the weekend and no one else jumps by Wednesday, we’ll see about slotting in our quartered up crew and get rolling.

Matev on
    Hail Hydra
  • kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    What's KGM?

Anyways I'd probably be interested! Sounds like fun. Have to think of a character. If it fills up no biggie, I'm also in Endless_Serpent's game :D

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
    KGM is Killer GM, which is what I post gaming stuff under on Twitter, is all.

Just throw something together on your time, no rush.

Hail Hydra
  • fadingathedgesfadingathedges Registered User regular
    This premise is fun! I am also in Endless's PBP, so I'll play only if there is space after folks who aren't in a game have a chance to play. It looks like everyone 'quartered' may end up being in, though.

No long rests - wow, that's a curveball. I would select a class to fill the party's need, but leaning towards something that adds to overall party endurance, given this rule.

Also:
    Hi Matev! It's been so long that I can't remember what we played together, was it BSG board game or a PBP or SC2? All three?

I am planning on making a Warlock, because a) no long rests so let's just abuse short rests muahaha!, and b) I've actually never played a Warlock before, so this'll be new. I'm kind of learning some of their mechanics for the first time here :D

Steam profile
    No long rests - wow, that's a curveball. I would select a class to fill the party's need, but leaning towards something that adds to overall party endurance, given this rule.

Yeah, I had multiple characters I was playing with (lvl 13 gives a ton of choices), but ended up just deciding to play a melee to not think about spell slots or anything fancy like that.

Question @Matev : Do abilities that last until or recharge 'at dawn' ever reach that point, given that there are no long rests / we are in the underworld / is there a dawn?

They do not. As written, this adventure takes place over 1 long night, so at dawn, you are revived by the priestess and the quest ends.

Not certain the last time we thinged but the by, I haven’t played any of the BSGs and it’s been a couple years since I’ve done a pbp.

Hail Hydra
    I’m very much happy for others to play, but if I do have to come off the bench I think I’ve changed my mind. It was a funny bit, but I don’t think I want to play an arrogant high elf king in hindsight. Instead I reckon I’d go straight monk/open palm called Big Fat Dang. To avoid death, simply choose not to get hit!

I was halfway expecting a "after every level, touch this orb and get the benefit of a long rest before entering the next area" kind of situation; I'm not sure why. Maybe it was the Doom level on the image board. :sweat_smile:

I'll swap out my selected feat for "Durable," which will provide a boost to any short rest recovery.

GNU Terry Pratchett
    egc6gp2emz1v.png
    Was it Solium Infernum?

Gotcha, re the long night. To follow up on Bursar's question - what can we spend gold on? Are some number of scrolls fair game?

It looks like you have:

Bursar: barbarian (storm herald)
    Brayster: bard
    Austin: rogue (swashbuckler)
    Kime: warlock
    Endless: monk (open hand)

I think this group needs an Order cleric, I'm leaning that way.

I did run the Solium Megagame a bit back, that would track.

Yah, some folks have bought some extra magic gubbins with their cash, and that's fine. Anything out of the books you can dosh out.

Hail Hydra
    edited April 2022
    OK I think I've got a Warlock created and leveled up to 13 properly. That was hard :lol: . I'll look at items and then the hardest part, a name, later today.

Edit: I forget if you can roll in an edit...

Geth roll 1d10 for bonus gold

bonus gold:
    1d10 3 [1d10=3]

kime on
    Steam profile
    edited April 2022
    Alright, let’s make a proper character.

Big Fat Dang

https://www.dndbeyond.com/characters/72283846

Big Fat Dang has been many things. Farmer, brick layer, cook, calligrapher, sake brewer and currently, and much to his amusement, a high ranking abbot at his nation’s most sacred temple. He spends much of his time wandering from village to village, fixing what is broken and breaking those that cause the villagers problems.

When the time came, his nation had only two candidates in mind. The crown prince, an uppity kid who was itching to try out his sword, or his Holiness. Fearing the power he could bring back with him and lamenting the more likely death of his good friend the Emperor’s only son, he will venture beyond the black gates for his countrymen.

Couldn’t find a good picture online so I just doodled one real quick.

m8d28skw17h4.png

He is a sumo wrestler dwarf monk.

Geth roll 1d10 for Pocket Change

Pocket Change:
    1d10 1 [1d10=1]

Endless_Serpents on
    I am making a Mountain Dwarf Sorcerer 12 / Order Cleric 1. I'm up to the point of picking spells and items.

Geth roll 1d10 for sweet sweet cash

sweet sweet cash:
    1d10 6 [1d10=6]

Naxtori (Warlock)

r2v4z3oefntn.png

Naxtori always loved to travel. Her goal was to see the world.... and then see it again to find out what changed! She figured she could just keep doing that on repeat indefinitely. Naxtori's acquaintances from her village were less confident in her plan. "Capable" and "strong" were not words used to describe her. Nor were words like "well-balanced" or "possessing common sense". And yet things worked out in Naxtori's favor, in a manner of speaking! She stumbled upon a ritual to summon <REDACTED>, and accidentally found herself as the focus for receiving the being's power. Thus, months later, she returned home to share the stories of her adventures to her very-surprised neighbors, and Naxtori was positively glowing with excitement. Seriously, when she got to the climax of her stories her eyes glowed a dark red...

As the years passed, Naxtori continued to travel and gather new stories. Mysterious lands were visited for the first time in centuries, and mighty monsters defeated (although Naxtori wasn't very detailed on "how" she was victorious). Naxtori made sure to return home occasionally to share her deeds. On one visit, people noticed that she seems to laugh oddly and at strange moments. She talked to herself (at least, that's what the villagers hoped was happening...). She would give entire stories in languages no one could recognize. Several years after Naxtori first left, her face and body changed during parts of the story: looking like an elderly human man, then a tall dwarven women, then a tiefling similar to Naxtori's "normal" appearance but with only one eye, then back to another dwarf, then again and again and again.....

Once, Naxtori realized that she didn't really know how to get back home. And that she hadn't known for several "homecoming visits." Could it be that she was wandering into a new, random village each time she returned "home," acting to these strangers as though they were friends of many years? No, surely not, even she wasn't that silly! And besides, she recognized everyone. They were just the same as they were last time. Probably. And anyways, surely someone would speak up and say something if she didn't belong, that would only be polite. No, they always listened with rapt attention, and only occasionally died (of sudden illness? accidents? Naxtori was never quite sure, but at least it usually happened to the rude ones).

And she knew her tales and adventures were appreciated! This trip into the underworld would be something unparalleled in her journeys, and is only possible because the Dread Priestess knew of her success and ability to see this through!

The above is told mostly from Naxtori's perspective. After all, who else's perspective could there be?

Character Sheet: https://ddb.ac/characters/72082700/DbuqUh (I think I got everything right....)

Items:
    Starting magic items: (1 rare and 3 uncommons)
    Rod of the Pact Keeper +2 (rare, attunement)
    Pearl of Power (uncommon, attunement)
    Necklace of Adaptation (uncommon, attunement)
    Gem of Brightness (uncommon)

Starting Gold: 5750 (5000+3*250)

Purchased Items:
    Potion of Healing x10 (500 gp)
    Potion of Healing (Greater) x4 (1000 gp)
    Bag of Holding (uncommon, 500 gp)
    Dust of Disappearance (uncommon, 500 gp)
    Wind Fan (uncommon, 500 gp)
    Immovable Rod (uncommon, 500 gp)
    Lantern of Revealing (uncommon, 500 gp)
    Robe of Useful Items (uncommon, 500 gp, DM needs to determine how many/what the extra patches are I think)

Remaining Gold: 1250 (5750-4500)

Steam profile
    I’ll have our starter post up this evening, should be a blast

Hail Hydra
    You are received at the Ashen Cloister with as much fete as it's somber walls can muster. White flecks of the ash of burned tomes waft down from the air, sweet smelling smoke wisping into your nostrils as the doors open wide, the Sisters of the Ashen Cloister waiting to guide you to the great hall, where a feast has been prepared for your arrival.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WQxXyF-UIW4

The feast is sumptuous. Meats dripping with the juices of the fruits they have been cooked with, crusted with spices brought from the across the Western Mountains. Salads of vegetables grown in the fertile soils of the cloister, dressed with crumbled cheese cultivated in the nearby town. A hearty stew of vegetables and a different blend of spices crafted to inflame the senses, a recipe brought from the Kingdom of the Stone People. An elf-traded wine accents the meal with a dark, rich, nutty flavor, it's crimson color speaking to the night of bloodshed you fear awaits. Dessert is a light affair, fruits from the Far South, fresh from the market and chopped and mixed with a sweet cream purchased in town, garnished with a liqueur distilled in the Cloister, lit afire briefly to lightly braise the concoction. The result is a sweet treat with the occasional caramelized section that makes each bite a surprise, an exploration.

qkj08q6qs7u0.jpg

As the meal subsides, the question arises when will you imbibe the poison which send you on your way to Charon's realm.

"Oh, sweet children of this world, who have learned to fear so little, you ingested the poison as we feted you, your final repast in this lifw before you challenge the Ferryman. Worry not, the pain will come soon, but it shall be swift and you will not suffer long." Intones the Dread Priestess with a beatific smile. It is only then you recognize the warmth flowing through your body is not merely the flush of drink, but the fire of a fever expertly crafted to catch you by surprise. The Dread Priestess is right, it is quite painful, hacking as your body tries to get you to vomit up the poison, trembling violently as the venom takes it's terrible. Another cup is lifted to your lips as you are borne out into the courtyard of the cloister.

"Drink, for you will not want to be awake for the end." The creamy milk of a poppy trickles down your constricted throat, you feel the fire begin to be bound in cotton. And then, you know no more.

Your eyes flutter open, though no air fills your lungs.

2n722bngpq7d.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ehHYiYrqeY

The odor of rust and salt hangs on a breeze stained black by the polluted air spewing from smokestacks at the corners of the upside-down pyramid, which stands taller than any structure in the mortal realm.

Orbiting high above the pyramid is an iron satellite the size of a boulder, its gaze cast down on the throngs of pilgrims. An array of antennae, spikes, and rods jut from its armor plating, each crackling with lightning.

mt91cwwbckeh.png

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=re0A23CSvpw

The sky is thick with charcoal-colored clouds from which acid rain falls. The sounds of drop-forge hammers and churning machinery echo through air heavy with ashen mist.

A moat of thick sludge surrounds the base of the structure. Pus-soaked effluent foams where the moat laps against the marshy ground.

avoghlk9pewb.jpg

As you survey the place in which you have found yourselves, the noise of a thousand thousand people reaches your ears. Milling around the moat's edge, are countless people dressed in dirty rags or patchwork armor. You catch snatches of prayer, beseeches to the Ferryman for passage to a final rest, and some cries to bring loved ones back from beyond.

You mingle among the seeking and the lost from some time. From them, you gather tales about the trials and tribulations that lurk within Charon's Pyramid. With this information in hand, you approach the complex.

Rumors have been sent to you! You may share these rumors as you see fit! There 13 rumors, 3 Proven, 5 Reliable, 5 Unreliable. Proven rumors are always True. Of the Reliable rumors, 4 are True and 1 is false. Of the Unreliable rumors, 4 are False and 1 is True.

As you approach the pyramid from the west, you see 4 areas of interest:

-A crumbling, enclosed area sitting atop a crooked chunk of earth that has punched into the silt alongside the moat, as if the entire structure and the ground beneath it had fallen from the sky.

dsl3wayaq2v3.png

-A 16-foot tall pyramid of salt stands near the edge of the polluted moat.

wv8ya8wpnxny.jpg

-A bridge leads across the moat towards a gate with a monstrous skull

keik3oqmk7s6.jpg

-Another bridge leads across the moat to loop around the perimeter of the pyramid.

The adventure begins!

Hail Hydra
    edited April 2022
    Brygos's eyelids quiver and he takes a heaving breath as he awakens, more out of habit than anything else, apparently. While a youth spent studying holy texts had prepared him somewhat for what to expect on this side of what he chose to think of as "the veil," it was clear that the authors had either chosen to leave out much about one's arrival on the shores of the Styx or they had simply been making things up as they went along.

Brygos turns around a few times, trying to get his bearings: there's the Pyramid, though someone had tipped it on its side as a joke; and there's the River, for a very generous definition of "liquid." The throng is far less orderly than he had been expecting, so he settles for trying to locate his dinner companions by looking at the faces around him and nodding at anyone who looked familiar. Let them come to me, he reasons; the towering bull-man is probably hard to miss in this section of the crowd.

The shade of a wizened old man elbows Brygos and points upwards. It takes Brygos a moment to realize that the man is trying to direct his attention to the spiky, sparking creation circling the sky above them. But this isn't out of fear; the man is gabbing happily in the hopes that Brygos will share in his fascination and they can have a conversation about it. While the two of them share a language, Brygos still only understands about half of the words coming out of the man's mouth. He's clearly an academic in some field so specialized that not even death can make him shut up.

Brygos eventually leaves the learn'd thanatostronomer to his observation and strikes out to the edge of the mob, the better to find those who might be looking to join him. The Pyramid dominates the eye, but something about the thousand-ton salt lick is calling out to the minotaur in a very basic way he would be embarrassed to admit, even under demonic torture.

Those who don't want to immediately sneak away are welcome to join Brygos, as he is trying to make himself somewhat obvious in the hopes that the others will recognize him in the crowd more easily.
    If nobody has an immediate idea of where to go, Brygos will suggest the white pyramid nearby. It's right here, so we ought to check it out. That's all, honest.

Bursar on
    GNU Terry Pratchett
    egc6gp2emz1v.png
    Big Fat Dang

With a rev of witchcraft and whisper of the command word “Lebkuchen.”, Big Fat Dang straddles his broomstick and rises 15 feet into the air. He’d taken this wondrous item from an infamous forest hag after a glorious battle. Then he carried it to the golden carp of Saikhan Zagas Lake to be purified, and since then it had been ever slung over his back. Saves on walking.

One of my 3 uncommon magic items, to my own surprise a Broom of Flying isn’t rare.

A Minotaur with that distinctive look all bags of holding share tied to its belt is below. Ah, yes. The one that ate all the salad. He looks around for the rest, but not too hard. Beneath him the throng of dead carries on.

He ponders. Then he flies near to the tall pyramid of salt and flicks a single ball bearing into the polluted moat.

Or at close as I can before something stops me.

Sy Hardbrook

Sy opens his eyes and sits up. A single thought resonates through his head. Who surprise poisons someone? It takes a few moments of blinking in silence for him to realize how idiotic that would have sounded if he had said it aloud. Pulling himself to his feet, his hands quickly pat around his person, the constant check for possessions you have when you're adept at taking them from other people. Everything seems to be where it should be, so he lets himself look around.

He would like to say he understood even half of what he was seeing, but that would be an outright lie. Instead, he mulled with the crowd, slipping in casually, listening to bits and pieces of conversation, picking up what might be valuable information. After a bit, he starts to think that it makes sense to seek out the others that were supposed to come with him. His eyes start scanning the crowd, but it was the figure that popped up above it that drew his attention. Yeah, none of this normal lot would have a flying broomstick. He starts to slide through the crowd, careful steps to avoid drawing attention, unsure of how the assembled mob might react if they caught even an inkling of the plan that had been hatched.

Making his way over to stand next to Brygos, who he found at the edge of the group as he followed the broomstick riding fellow he had met earlier. "That's, uh, that's a lot of salt."

"Poizshun cannae touch a Dwar . . . a Dwarven . . . heart."

Thane blinked. As his eyes opened, he realized he was horizontal, and on another plane. He rose and steadied himself, feeling the new senstations of temporary ... death? undeath? Something in between, perhaps. He remembered hunger, and therefore hungered. He remembered old aches and pains, and therefore ached. No meal would sate, no annointed bath would soothe, he knew. Death, he decided, was Not Great.

i am editing a pdf character sheet on a tablet while on vacation, so its a bit slow going to mull through spells, but I'm getting there. Items will likely be Shard of the Shadowfell (R), Bloodwell Vial +1, a few other bits, and I'm spending my gold mostly on scrolls.

Azara Pentaghast

"Well... I think that seems... a bit rude..."

Azara opened her eyes with a squint, beholding the wonderous horrors that surrounded her.

"I better not actually be dead, or someone is going to suffer. Well, other than me".

The horde of waiting and praying individuals did not hold Azara back for long before she bore witness to a dwarf rising upon a flying broom. She was pretty sure that wasn't a daemon, so decided to follow on from there.

Naxtori

Naxtori sits up. Looks around. Cups her hands around her mouth and shouts, "HELLOOOOO?" There were lots of people around, but no one that looks like anyone at the feast they were just (poisoned) at. She looked down at herself. Come to think of it, she doesn't look like anyone at the feast either. Naxtori currently resembles a slender half-elf woman with short blonde hair.

She shrugs and gets up. "I'm sure to find them eventually!" She walked around a bit, listening to some of the people around her (and interjecting occasionally with her own "interesting" tidbits).

"There!" Naxtori (now looking like a half-orc man) sees a tall, familiar-looking minotaur. Moments later, a large dwarf flies up into the air on a... broomstick? "Huh." She starts running over to the minotaur first, waving her hands in the air and not really paying attention to anyone she may be bumping into on the way.

Brygos would not recognize Nax at all right now.

Steam profile
    edited April 2022
    Brygos

In Brygos's experience, unfamiliar folk running at him waving their arms are usually carrying some kind of weapon and itching to get to whatever he is currently standing in front of. He had dropped into a ready hunch on instinct, but relaxes now as Nax approaches, based on the idea that he's not actually guarding anything worth killing over for once (Sorry, Sy.). His weapon isn't giving off signals of alarm, either, though Brygos is unsure if it can tell what would be considered a threat here in any case.

He looks at Sy standing beside him. "Friend of yours?" he asks. He keeps an eye on the form of Fat Dang cruising above them, just in case something sudden happens.

Bursar on
    GNU Terry Pratchett
    egc6gp2emz1v.png
    Sy

Sy is busying looking up at the flying dwarf, and only notices someone approaching when Brygos crouches. Looking back down, he sees someone running towards them, hands waiving. His hand goes to his rapier hilt, but he doesn't draw it, not here, not in sight of this crowd who may or may not have weapons on their own.

"No one that I recognize" he replies to Brygos "Though, none of this other lot seem to be that interested in us specifically, so there must be more going on right there."