As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Behold, [Elden Ring]! Don't Give Up Skeleton! (SPOILER WARNING!)

• Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    So is it just me, or does Sellen: Town of Dickery run like crap?

Like seriously, I don't know if my computer is fucking around or if this is a common thing.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    ArmsForPeace84ArmsForPeace84 Your Partner In Freedom Registered User regular
    Bogart wrote: »
    I guess from a technical angle those speedruns are interesting but it's the most tedious thing in the world to watch.

That's fantastic news. The most tedious thing in the world to watch is only 6m 59s.

Joking aside, I found it fascinating because one of the things I love to do in open world settings is try and get into areas that are meant to be blocked by progression through the story. Even when there is far less to do there than in Elden Ring, where you can actually collect the precious items, fight the bosses, and even get to the ending early. Getting to a new island in GTA or scaling the Eiffel Tower early in The Saboteur is tame is comparison.

That doesn't make me want to speedrun the game. But I might create my next character in the unpatched version that I saved to an external HDD, and make use of some tricks the community uncovered to get into endgame surroundings good and early.

Nothing personal. It's just business.
  • Options
    AphostileAphostile San Francisco, CARegistered User regular
    I feel like you can get to the “endgame” zones in about 1-2 hours on a NG+ if you want. Even beat it in that timeframe without doing any zipping or Torrent Pegasus glitching.

Nothing. Matters.
  • Options
    KamarKamar Registered User regular
    I should look up how to safely drop items for myself without getting banned this time around. I'd imagine I need to block EAC from starting like I did early on for performance rather than just doing it offline like usual.

• Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    Chance wrote: »
    I'm up to 145 rune arcs, helping folks as I work through Mt. Gelmir (haven't really touched Atlus) and decide I want to complete the assignments before the boss and completing Rya's quest. I have never farmed up a single level - outside of that one Night Cavalry cheese and the Caelid dragon - so I have to go to the capital, and I remember fighting this guy on my caster and being all kinds of annoyed, but maybe level 131 is too high for the Capital.

https://youtu.be/um4GYDR06dM

I mean, that much co-op is pretty much farming. It’s all content you’re going through multiple times and getting multiple rune rewards for.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    bsjezzbsjezz Registered User regular
    edited April 2022
    I'm up to 145 rune arcs, helping folks as I work through Mt. Gelmir (haven't really touched Atlus) and decide I want to complete the assignments before the boss and completing Rya's quest. I have never farmed up a single level - outside of that one Night Cavalry cheese and the Caelid dragon - so I have to go to the capital, and I remember fighting this guy on my caster and being all kinds of annoyed, but maybe level 131 is too high for the Capital.

I mean, that much co-op is pretty much farming. It’s all content you’re going through multiple times and getting multiple rune rewards for.

i mean other than the fact you're actually making a difference to somebody else's gameplay experience. i do co-op a fair bit and while the runes can occasionally be motivation, it's mostly to pay back for the help i got and build to a positive aspect of the game's unique online tapestry

edit: i'd also argue unlike farming there's no elden ring boss that comes without risk, perhaps even moreso in co-op where you're at the whims of netcode and ai that is almost impossible to predict in chaotic contexts

bsjezz on
    sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    edited April 2022
    I didn’t say it was a bad thing. Co-op is fun times. Just don’t be surprised that lots of co-op massively boosts your level. And it is risk free? You don’t lose your runes when you die in co-op, worst you’ll lose is time.

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    Victory! Elden Beast down. I ended up stacking Holy resist using Haligtree Drake +2, Pearl Drake +2 and Divine Fortification, which made having to chase Nessie the Scared Star Lizard around much easier. I had gotten the Radagon part down pretty well by the final attempt.

Just need to kill Dragon Lord Placidusax for the final boss cheevo.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    Helping other people through bosses is my favorite part of this game. It rules to just zoom in and lend a hand to someone struggling.

Even better when you can demonstrate the little trick of the fight, like with Rykard.

I have 82 rune arcs and I'm not even to Caelid yet.

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular
    I didn’t say it was a bad thing. Co-op is fun times. Just don’t be surprised that lots of co-op massively boosts your level. And it is risk free? You don’t lose your runes when you die in co-op, worst you’ll lose is time.

Yeah I don't really like the idea of farming but that's 100% because I don't want to do a boring thing, and don't really understand why people would do a boring thing. Helping other people killing bosses is a fun thing.

The downside is mostly that you'll lose a lot of time to disconnects and host deaths and only occasionally walk away with a rune arc and some runes.

You get those arcs much faster and more reliably by murdering other players.

Twitch: Thawmus83
  • Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    edited April 2022
    invaded twice so far for the varre quest and both time ran into the same incredibly underpowered solo host

how

not like this
    not like this

Elendil on
  • Options
    ChanceChance Registered User regular

Well I'm gettin' (25% of) the boss's runes, but that's incidental. What I'm doing is grinding Rune Arcs and helping folks (over 150 Arcs, now!). 3 levels in 2 hours is not an xp grind in any direction, to me - it's incidental, and served as the unit of measurement I was prepared to dedicate to helping out on this one boss.

If levels were the objective I could have made those at Moghwyn Palace in fifteen minutes.

'Chance, you are the best kind of whore.' -Henroid
  • Options
    Thawmus wrote: »

Yeah I don't really like the idea of farming but that's 100% because I don't want to do a boring thing, and don't really understand why people would do a boring thing. Helping other people killing bosses is a fun thing.

The downside is mostly that you'll lose a lot of time to disconnects and host deaths and only occasionally walk away with a rune arc and some runes.

1. I would never invade as a recusant and kill a host. Such is my weirdness. When I had to invade to get the Moghwyn invite I actively hunted the other recusants, killed them before they killed the host and then let the host kill me. Video game ethics!

2. Watching the same hosts die over and over to chariots in Gelmir Hero's Grave is some of the most tragic shit in gaming. I don't mind the wasted time, I mind getting summoned there and only there literally 8 times in a row last night. There's all of Mount Gelmir! Lots of dungeons! World bosses! Rune Bears and Fire Drakes! Nope - you get chariots. Again.

3. My first two co-op attempts were disconnects after like 45 seconds and I gave up on multiplayer for my next two... three playthroughs? But I've been co-opping across my entire current playthrough, and I've had maybe 5 of those compared to the 100+ completed dungeons/bosses/etc.

• Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    the last session i did co op i parked in front of a boss i thought would be a solid one and was surprised by how many hosts just get obliterated in one hit. like come on have at least 30 vig for the rest of us

• Options

1. I would never invade as a recusant and kill a host. Such is my weirdness. When I had to invade to get the Moghwyn invite I actively hunted the other recusants, killed them before they killed the host and then let the host kill me. Video game ethics!

2. Watching the same hosts die over and over to chariots in Gelmir Hero's Grave is some of the most tragic shit in gaming. I don't mind the wasted time, I mind getting summoned there and only there literally 8 times in a row last night. There's all of Mount Gelmir! Lots of dungeons! World bosses! Rune Bears and Fire Drakes! Nope - you get chariots. Again.

3. My first two co-op attempts were disconnects after like 45 seconds and I gave up on multiplayer for my next two... three playthroughs? But I've been co-opping across my entire current playthrough, and I've had maybe 5 of those compared to the 100+ completed dungeons/bosses/etc.

This is honestly why I won't send my sign to summon pools. I tend to put it right in front of boss room fog walls for bosses I know I can help kill. I hate getting summoned to do dungeons with people who are gonna die in the process and then I won't get to kill the boss and get a rune arc.

• Options
    edited April 2022
    Nah I don't mind an attempt - a failed attempt tends to be how people figure shit out. Usually.

Edit: like helping a host, watching them fail, getting re-summoned by them and helping them beat this thing that's giving them trouble is a more meaningful and satisfying multiplayer narrative, to me, than a single purely successful run with someone you never see again. /edit.

And then you've got Host of Fingers jubilee last night who only existed to get one-shot by anything Rykard did. Four times. Four times I watched this guy die. DON'T STAND IN THE LAVA JUBILEE. IT'S NOT HELPING YOUUUUUUU (fades away, puts down summon sign again, gets summoned...)

jubilee: Hey!

Chance: Fuck.

Chance on
  • Options
    Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    *me goes into a new dungeon
    *me sees a stone chariot
    *me turns around and walks right back out again

Nope. Just nope. Not interested.

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • Options
    bsjezzbsjezz Registered User regular
    edited April 2022
    big pre-easter boss run tonight since i'm going away for a while and won't be able to play
    cleared all the altus tunnels, elemer, the caelid godskin apostle and the draconic sentinel

all were tough. i expected it from elemer but the other two felt much harder compared to my astrologer run. the draconic sentinel particularly just felt like it was hard-coded to bolt me to death eventually no matter how well i'd done the fight to that point. anyway it ended in mutual destruction, which was apt.

closing in on level 90 now. this wretch goes ok.

edit: oh! forgot about the full-grown fallingstar beast. tough, tough bosses

bsjezz on
    sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    *me goes into a new dungeon
    *me sees a stone chariot
    *me turns around and walks right back out again

Nope. Just nope. Not interested.

I have to do the one on Mt. Gelmir.

Have to.

I want to have the rock throw beast spell for when I get into the capital and when I start dealing with the last few zones in the game (especially Haligtree, JFC).

It gives me so much pain to even consider that I'm going to do this goddamn dungeon, FML, but I need that deathroot.

• Options
    bsjezz wrote: »
    big pre-easter boss run tonight since i'm going away for a while and won't be able to play
    cleared all the altus tunnels, elemer, the caelid godskin apostle and the draconic sentinel

all were tough. i expected it from elemer but the other two felt much harder compared to my astrologer run. the draconic sentinel particularly just felt like it was hard-coded to bolt me to death eventually no matter how well i'd done the fight to that point. anyway it ended in mutual destruction, which was apt.

closing in on level 90 now. this wretch goes ok.

edit: oh! forgot about the full-grown fallingstar beast. tough, tough bosses

Hey I'll be around here tonight if you think you'd have time for the axe trade?

• Options
    GrundlestiltskinGrundlestiltskin Behind you!Registered User regular
    3DS FC: 2079-6424-8577 | PSN: KaeruX65 | Steam: Karulytic | FFXIV: Wonder Boy
  • Options
    mmm level 60 and i'm basically at every every minimum stat i wanted to hit and i got most of my gear lined up (and blessedly, it's almost all somber upgrades)

this is a far cry from my strength/faith build where i was gasping for every crumb i could get up to and past level 100

• Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    Elendil wrote: »
    invaded twice so far for the varre quest and both time ran into the same incredibly underpowered solo host

how

not like this
    not like this

I got through that by invading and immediately using the item that disconnects you from the host's world 3 times. Pretty sure I entered one player's world twice. It still counted for the quest.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    edited April 2022

how

not like this
    not like this

I got through that by invading and immediately using the item that disconnects you from the host's world 3 times. Pretty sure I entered one player's world twice. It still counted for the quest.
    oh i wanted to kill some folks

i waited until i got into hogwarts for my third one and got a 2v1. killed phantom and host. felt good

Elendil on
  • Options
    dporowskidporowski Registered User regular
    Meanwhile, I invaded naked, while wearing a tin-foil hat, and just rolled after people with a pair of whips, bleating like a sheep.

No, in game. IN GAME.

• Options
    for the scythe i had been thinking i'd end up having to use grave scythe or regular, but i remembered that the halo scythe was within reasonable faith req distance and farmed that up. put two more points into faith and ran the talisman.

that thing is a beast. great moveset, bleed, excellent weapon art. A+.

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    So I uh

I called for assistance with Niall because fuck Niall, and one of the dudes just spent the entire fight following me around using the "You're beautiful" Pate.

• Options
    So I uh

I called for assistance with Niall because fuck Niall, and one of the dudes just spent the entire fight following me around using the "You're beautiful" Pate.

Are we not supposed to do that?

Asking for a friend....

• Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited April 2022
    I love how honorable you guys are.

I don't pvp much but when I do I murder the host with the same pragmatic attitude as I would a pve enemy. If they're weak, I just wipe them out. :)

If someone invades me I am fine with them doing the same.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options

I don't pvp much but when I do I murder the host with the same pragmatic attitude as I would a pve enemy. If they're weak, I just wipe them out. :)

I've always thought of Invaders as these skilled assholes who enjoy fucking up other people's games. That's how it felt in DS1 PC which is what I played the most of other than Elden Ring. Invaders would show up with some perfect build and just smoke you immediately. It was also full of cheaters.

That obviously isn't the case on PS4 Elden Ring and I should change my attitude.

• Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    So I uh

yeah... you get the odd bastard. That's what Finger Severer is for.

I got lucky and got a guy that was running that infinite KameHameHa build and actually helped kill Niall

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    edited April 2022
    So I uh

Are we not supposed to do that?

Asking for a friend....

The difference between the actual in-game community and how the community is represented in online groups like Reddit is so starkly different it almost makes me sad. I have so many good interactions in-game with a lot of unique and playful occurrences (even in invasions). That bit, the one last night where I got into a players game who was having trouble with the garg twins and was just curled into a ball by the gate, so I pointed down at the ground until he summoned a third and we easily handed them their collective asses. The host there was just spinning in an estus-drinking circle for the rest of the time I was in his game.

And then I see people in Reddit and Twitter just with the most awful, toxic, bullshit takes on how other people play

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    MegaMan001 wrote: »

I've always thought of Invaders as these skilled assholes who enjoy fucking up other people's games. That's how it felt in DS1 PC which is what I played the most of other than Elden Ring. Invaders would show up with some perfect build and just smoke you immediately. It was also full of cheaters.

That obviously isn't the case on PS4 Elden Ring and I should change my attitude.

Yeah it's not 100% true, but it feels true.

It feels like most people playing Elden Ring are trying to beat Elden Ring, not other players. Invaders are playing a different game, with builds customized to vaporize one enemy type : you. That's an immediately-imbalanced proposal, even when it's two on one. When one of these jerks would come for you in a Souls game just because you beat a boss, maaaan fuck those guys.

And those jerks exist in Elden Ring with their bleed/frenzy specs, teabagging host corpses as if their Custom-Tuned Autokill SuperSmurf 3000 / Full On Cheating build wasn't doing the heavy lifting. Hate those guys, never wanna be that guy, but... experience with co-opping in Elden Ring has shown that those players make up maybe 30% of the invaders I see, and even they aren't unstoppable.

...I should try it. See how honorably I can invade...

...maybe.

• Options
    edited April 2022
    it's very funny to see someone complain about overly optimized invaders and i just got done watching a streamer invade for a couple hours and get almost nothing but hosts with rivers of blood, moonveil, dual naginatas, and 2 overleveled mage phantoms

as if hosts aren't cheesing twice as hard as the invaders

Elendil on
  • Options
    KamarKamar Registered User regular
    When I invade for the quest or, more rarely, just to invade, I'm much more likely to get people who are waiting for me than random players trying to clear a boss.

Realistically, most people who need to summon and become eligible for invasion against their wills are doing bosses and will be going through the fog wall before you're half loaded in.

• Options
    one funny thing he pointed out is that hosts and phantoms don't panic roll as often so a lot of the rollcatch pvp meta doesn't work as well

hosts will take almost their full health and instead of rolling they keep swinging though, because they're used to doing 1200 damage

it's the wild west out there

• Options
    dporowskidporowski Registered User regular
    I just don't enjoy PVP, so if I gotta invade for a quest, it's going to be funny for everyone. Pretty sure nobody thinks the naked whip dude is actually out to get them. Or the naked unarmed dude who just wants to fistfight. (That one went well, lots of boxing was had.)

Maybe I'll dress up like a Godskin Noble and go around buttstomping people. Just the buttstomp. Nothing else. Maybe the roll though, just for authenticity.

• Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    it's very funny to see someone complain about overly optimized invaders and i just got done watching a streamer invade for a couple hours and get almost nothing but hosts with rivers of blood, moonveil, dual naginatas, and 2 overleveled mage phantoms

as if hosts aren't cheesing twice as hard as the invaders

look, it's simple, when I lose it's because they're cheating!

• Options
    edited April 2022
    My Hunter experience, in the meantime, is a d6 roll:

1. I spawn, I run to the host, the host kills the invader before I get there, I get a rune arc.
    2. I spawn, I run to the host, the invader kills the host before the invader gets there, I get nothing.
    3. I spawn, connection error.
    4. I spawn, I run to the host, I attack the invader from behind and kill them.
    5. I spawn, I run to the host, I cross paths with a boss accidentally and fight the boss on my own.
    5a. I kill the boss and continue
    5b. I die to the boss
    6. I spawn, I run to the host, I attack the invader, the invader and I square off, the host and their fingers fuck off, and we have a hell of a duel

I gotta say, also, while a lot of invaders are wielding katanas and doing bleed builds, I still seem to be fucking killing them more than I'm not. And I'm not going to sit here and tell people I'm good. My pet theory is that folks who look up bleed builds for pvp probably need the help.

EDIT: Also, From, for fuck's sake, stop spawning me 300 miles from the goddamn host.

The other day I was spawning above Sellia when the host was in Sellia, and then immediately afterward I spawned in Sellia when the host was above Sellia. And I can't horse, so I had to kill every motherfucker in Sellia to get to them. So fucking dumb.

Thawmus on
  • Options
    For the most part my co-op experiences have been positive.

Hosts, rule number one, just stay alive. Please don't charge in first.

This discussion has been closed.