As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Behold, [Elden Ring]! Don't Give Up Skeleton! (SPOILER WARNING!)

• ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    edited April 2022
    locking the rune farming bird behind mandatory invasions is fromsoft's way of lowering the average skill level for invaders

Elendil on
  • GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    So what is it about Occult weapons that From thinks they should not be buffable? Why am I being penalized for arcane scaling but where, say, a boss is immune to bleed, I can't switch to Occult for base scaling and then buff my weapon with a grease, like a quality/heavy/keen user would be able to? I feel like I get completely locked out of handling certain bosses and enemies, and unlike other playstyles who can often change up their Ashes of War and scaling for at least some tactical advantage, I can't because... reasons. Even though Occult weapons only deal physical damage like the other non magic/fire/holy types.

Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
  • Alistair HuttonAlistair Hutton Dr EdinburghRegistered User regular
    Fire Giant down at level 84. Me an my Bro Big Pot Alex took him down.

Re-ashing my weapon from frost to bleed was the key

I have a thoughtful and infrequently updated blog about games http://whatithinkaboutwhenithinkaboutgames.wordpress.com/

I made a game, it has penguins in it. It's pay what you like on Gumroad.

Currently Ebaying Nothing at all but I might do in the future.
  • ChanceChance Registered User regular
    In one hour I was able to make 4 invasions - 1 in Mt. Gelmir, 2 in Atlus Plateau and 1 in Capital Outskirts. Went 3W 1L, far better than I expected, and the best one was easily against this bleed katana guy who was using the Taunter's Tongue to get multiple invaders - but like Genghis Khan, I don't want them to get it on with nobody else but me, so together we fought off a Bloody Finger before resuming our honorable duel.

Far, far less efficient source of rune arcs than assisting, in my experience - it just takes way longer to successfully find a game to invade (weird) - and given that I look at my rune arc stack as a tally of the folks I've helped with bosses, somewhat counterproductive.

Also it just doesn't feel nice. The one vs the Taunter felt... okay (except for what happened to the Bloody Finger), but it definitely doesn't provide the satisfaction that helping someone down a boss does. I'm up to 172 rune arcs and I think I'll pop 3 just to keep the count pure.

'Chance, you are the best kind of whore.' -Henroid
  • dporowskidporowski Registered User regular
    Elendil wrote: »
    locking the rune farming bird behind mandatory invasions is fromsoft's way of lowering the average skill level for invaders

It's not, actually. Just if you want to get there before you've made it to the Snowfield. So far I've found back ways into basically every special/quest zone, I think. (Some of them are giant pains in the ass, but they exist.)

Like, Ranni's coffin roller coaster was WAY better than getting to deeproot via the fuckin' platfall beam hellmouth.

• ArmsForPeace84ArmsForPeace84 Your Partner In Freedom Registered User regular
    Godskin Apostle at the Divine Tower of Caelid was the perfect boss for a while, for testing out all the new spells I've picked up and haven't used. As well as trying out some weapons that look good on paper. But today, at long last, I agreed to release him from my service in this regard. We threw a very nice farewell party, Jellybro and I. Played some staggeringly loud rock music, which was a big hit.

Later, I crashed Radahn's party, but wasn't feeling it. I boned out early.

Nothing personal. It's just business.
  • surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    edited April 2022
    Godskin Apostle at the Divine Tower of Caelid was the perfect boss for a while, for testing out all the new spells I've picked up and haven't used. As well as trying out some weapons that look good on paper. But today, at long last, I agreed to release him from my service in this regard. We threw a very nice farewell party, Jellybro and I. Played some staggeringly loud rock music, which was a big hit.

Later, I crashed Radahn's party, but wasn't feeling it. I boned out early.

ui31xp370xb2.png

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
    Also a certain unnamed boss needs a fucking cooldown on how often she can spam a certain move consecutively.

"Oh, you did that 5x in a row? I guess all your health is indeed back now, yes!"

• DibbitDibbit Registered User regular
    edited April 2022
    MegaMan001 wrote: »
    For the most part my co-op experiences have been positive.

Hosts, rule number one, just stay alive. Please don't charge in first.

But I have twice the amount of health potions!

Dibbit on
  • JusticeJustice Registered User regular
    Cranked up the bird farm for the first time. It's worse than a can of Pringles: Why yes, actually, I could find room for just one more stat point!

Although, there was more fighting than I'd been led to believe. Fighting is not my strong suit, but I guess that's why they invented the Moonveil.

Justice wrote: »
    Cranked up the bird farm for the first time. It's worse than a can of Pringles: Why yes, actually, I could find room for just one more stat point!

Although, there was more fighting than I'd been led to believe. Fighting is not my strong suit, but I guess that's why they invented the Moonveil.

Eh, depends. If you just pop the bird over the ledge, no fighting involved. If you want to soak up all the delicious runes from the albinaurics, you gotta fight a little, yeah. But they're not too bad.

• ZavianZavian universal peace sounds better than forever war Registered User regular
    fifanyozgizf.png

edited April 2022
    i think my game plan now is gonna be to cap my weapon levels at like, +12/+5 so i don't blast through midgame

i leapfrogged a lot last time by just pushing through the plateau after raya lucaria

Elendil on
  • ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Thawmus wrote: »
    EDIT: Also, From, for fuck's sake, stop spawning me 300 miles from the goddamn host.

Yeah, this. The 5-minute run to the action is just annoying - especially when you start out on the cliffs above the ravine where the host actually is, and you can't use Torrent to get down to them.

• DibbitDibbit Registered User regular
    edited April 2022
    dporowski wrote: »
    Also a certain unnamed boss needs a fucking cooldown on how often she can spam a certain move consecutively.

"Oh, you did that 5x in a row? I guess all your health is indeed back now, yes!"

If only we knew her name and who's blade she is. Alas.... From is being typically mysterious about it.

Dibbit on
  • MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited April 2022
    i think my game plan now is gonna be to cap my weapon levels at like, +12/+5 so i don't blast through midgame

i leapfrogged a lot last time by just pushing through the plateau after raya lucaria

idea: only upgrade as far as your access to ball bearings lets you

i have a feeling that mysteriously the game will work out just fine at a decent level of difficulty but not too hard for the entire playthrough ;)

there may be a few places you'll have to come back later, but that's normal in an open world with no level scaling.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    no bully shit the out of the game

break the ai teleport into the ground give the enemies a wedgie

dark souls games are about reclaiming ur power as the true alpha predator in a high school and giving the mobs a swirly

obF2Wuw.png

i have a feeling that mysteriously the game will work out just fine at a decent level of difficulty but not too hard for the entire playthrough ;)

there may be a few places you'll have to come back later, but that's normal in an open world with no level scaling.
    but the game lets you go past that! the mine that gives you the bell bearings gives you better stuff!!

• jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    edited April 2022
    Dark Souls games are about looking swag af

ibnqr7dy2qud.jpg

jungleroomx on
  • TelMarineTelMarine Registered User regular
    Someone in the previous thread mentioned it, but the super large bears are the worst. Tons of health, hard to take down, super aggressive, and only give like 3k runes. Harder than a lot of bosses.

3ds: 4983-4935-4575
  • Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    I would just like to say: fuck basilisks. TYVM.

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited April 2022

but the game lets you go past that! the mine that gives you the bell bearings gives you better stuff!!

so? just try it

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • DisrupterDisrupter Registered User regular
    There’s a bear at the start of a cave that was literally top 3 hardest fight in the game for me. I figured it’d drop a fancy item or at least not respawn after I killed it. Nope.

I hate that bear.

616610-1.png
    "just try it" - said by a dude with a bunch of bloodhound steps in a tattered jacket under a bridge in stormveil, just before ur life slides downhill

obF2Wuw.png
    Disrupter wrote: »
    There’s a bear at the start of a cave that was literally top 3 hardest fight in the game for me. I figured it’d drop a fancy item or at least not respawn after I killed it. Nope.

I hate that bear.

pretty sure that bear was meant to be a stealth encounter, its hitpoints and damage are beyond merely inflated and there's bushes all over that cave you can use to sneak past it

• jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Revenants remain the stupidest fucking enemies in the game

Counterpoint: Giant bears.

edited April 2022

The giant bears don't have a 30 hit unbreakable combo like that motherfucker does. He will straight up play a blast beat on your greatshield and then turbofuck half your HP with a single hit, then vomit poison that hits for 10% of your health each tick.

If you don't have an AOE heal you're toast

jungleroomx on
  • KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular
    invaded twice so far for the varre quest and both time ran into the same incredibly underpowered solo host

how

not like this
    not like this

I got through that by invading and immediately using the item that disconnects you from the host's world 3 times. Pretty sure I entered one player's world twice. It still counted for the quest.

Ugh, there's a quest where you have to invade? That's what he wanted me to do with those things? Blegh.

I'm having much more fun seeking out every single boss and area I can find to kill them all. I really wish I had better fire damage, but that's all over in faith minus a few magma spells and I don't think I can reach them quite yet. Ah well, I'll just have to settle for things like the Rock Throw and that one giant eff off bow spell.

I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
  • GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular

Yeah, the bears can suck. But revenants flail around like a giant centipede jacked on cocaine an as previously mentioned, will swiftly melt your stamina bar followed by your health bar.

There is a point in the game where you have to deal with 3 of them at once and it is absolutely miserable.

Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
  • Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    Kalnaur wrote: »
    invaded twice so far for the varre quest and both time ran into the same incredibly underpowered solo host

how

not like this
    not like this

I got through that by invading and immediately using the item that disconnects you from the host's world 3 times. Pretty sure I entered one player's world twice. It still counted for the quest.

Ugh, there's a quest where you have to invade? That's what he wanted me to do with those things? Blegh.

I'm having much more fun seeking out every single boss and area I can find to kill them all. I really wish I had better fire damage, but that's all over in faith minus a few magma spells and I don't think I can reach them quite yet. Ah well, I'll just have to settle for things like the Rock Throw and that one giant eff off bow spell.

tbf you only have to invade three times and the outcome doesn't matter so you can just let the host kill you or throw yourself off a cliff or whatever

• ArmsForPeace84ArmsForPeace84 Your Partner In Freedom Registered User regular

It seems to me the secret is to absolutely scour every new area you unlock. Because if you have to come back for some optional bosses, then depending on your build, it won't take a full FP bar or Stamina bar.*

*May not apply to parts of Caelid, or to overstuffed bears in general.

Nothing personal. It's just business.

so? just try it
    okay i used a +18 heavy executioner greataxe in mountaintop of the giants and i can confirm that shit sucked raucously

• EmperorSethEmperorSeth Registered User regular
    I just started playing Elden Ring, so don't expect me to actually, you know, LOOK at this thread right away. But I want to share my adventure as it's gone so far. Spoilers for anyone who hasn't played the first couple hours, I guess.
    Elden Ring start! Took me only half an hour to pick my character. I was initially thinking Samurai but ended up with the Church Intelligencia lady, cause Sword + Magic.
    Intro Lore dump. Yeah, I played Dark Souls, I know this is just the Megaman boss select screen.
    Okay, doing some early exploration, seeing if I can figure out how to get to the upper floor of the starting church (nope) or open the barred gate (also nope.)
    Oh hey! A boss! Is this one of the classic you're going supposed to die but could theoretically beat it if you get really luck...
    ...three seconds later, I wake up in a different graveyard. I get on the elevator and immediately get off to check for secrets. No luck, but it's a good habit to maintain.
    Ah, the tutorial dungeon. Still shit at parries, but that Block/R2 attack is pretty nice.
    As demonstrated on the "boss," who I use that exact technique and kill him in one combo. I find the first dangly treasure, but can't find the way to the second yet. But fine, time to start the actual game.
    Oh, hello, weird fire/"grace" NPC. Thanks for giving me the directions to go.
    Hello, horse guy. Are you a regular enemy or a bos...
    ...three seconds later, I decide to take a different route. There seems to be some need stuff on the beach, but working on a way to get there.
    Giant guy with stomp attacks! I missed you dudes. I'm a bit rusty, so it takes two tries.
    Make my way to the beach and immediately run into some of those dumb slimes from Dark Souls 1. I chip damage them to death and move on.
    Oh those skeletons respawn. Time to pick another direction.
    Land octopi aren't much of a threat if I can wear them down and hit their weak spots each time.
    Campfire guy, why couldn't you be cool. The other campfire guy was a merchant!
    Oh, I missed a dungeon entrance? Might as well check it out.
    Oh good, a double boss. At least they don't fight me simultaneously but their mooks are a pain.
    This took me far more tries than it should. I was going to give up and try another route, but I had almost 4000 souls/"runes" stranded in the boss room with no Homeward Bone equivalent yet.
    Fine, I'll go the actual route. Immediately ran into a church with a merchant selling the crafting box and the anvil to buff my weapons/armor. Fine, this was the right route.
    Took down a camp full of knights, then rested in the nearby gracepoint. Oh, this is where the lady who lets me level up has been hiding! And she gave me a horse! I bet the Demi-Human Chiefs would have been a lot easier if I went this way first. On the plus side, I gained like five levels at once.
    Now that I got a horse, I decided to head back to take on the Horse Douche at the start, Horse Douche vs. Horse Douche. He wasn't so tough when I had magic meat armor to ride.
    Then I explored some bit and immediately died. I reclaimed my runes and decided to call it a night.
    Oh, one last funny thing happened. I found the Horse Launch point by the beach and decided to give it a try now that I was mounted. I vaulted 100 feet in the air ... and immediately landed in the water and drowned. I laughed so hard it scared the cat.

Day 2 in my adventures in Eldenia!
    Now that I gained levels and a horse, I decided to explore some of the missing caves and stuff I past on the way. First up is the cave leading to the gate camp. There are wolves! But not particularly threatening wolves. The boss, Beastman Somethingorother? is a combo matchine, but dude, I already beat up to Demi Human chiefs. he put up bit of a fight, but went down on his first try.
    Next, back to the coastal cave, since I didn't get to the end of it this time. Just a few demi-humans, and I have a torch now to actually look at the place.
    Oh hey, it's a path to that island to the South! I was wondering how I was going to get there. There's a shrine offering dragon blood, but I'm blood-less. I picked up a few neat items and booked it.
    On to the Southeastern Swamp. Lots of dudes talking about "feral fire" or something like that, but they die pretty easily. I should be pretty overleveled to handle things WHATHEHELLISTHAT?
    Okay, I'm teleported to a cave full of gem dudes who I can barely hurt. Should I be able to handle this place?
    ...one massive magic barrage later, the answer is clearly no. I might get lucky and kill one dude, but I'm not supposed to be here. Time to teleport...
    Okay, I'm cursed and teleportation is not an option. I really need to get out of here.
    On the plus side, running away is not as hard as it sounds. The way out is within sight, and I can take a Grace nap. So teleporting is re-established, but since I'm here, I might as well.
    Well, blood red skies, poison fountain blobs, a wolf that I can barely scratch. Okay, this is an advanced area I shouldn't be at, but what the hell, might as well grab some stuff. Oh, and there's a Grace.
    Oh, the inevitable maiden's here and can teleport me to someplace called the Roundtable. That sounds neat. Here's all your classic Darksouls NPCs. Buff blacksmiths, spellcasting mentor, all the fun stuff. I have enough Runes to get a fire spell as is required for my first playthrough.
    More fate-temping in some city of wizards and such. Lots of spells to dodge and invisible wizards-thieves, but even though it takes a lot of hits, I can at least take a few of them down.
    Still, even I know I'm pushing it, so I find my way out and horse my way down the beach. Some sword monster dehorsed me, but I took it out using shieldplay and said "Okay, back to where I'm SUPPOSED to be."
    I teleported back to the Grace point just east of the gate camp by the telescope and made my way to the Northern half of the swamp, since I saw a possible cave/dungeon over there.
    Ah, THERE'S the fabled crabs I heard so much about. They're not too bad, at least in this starting area.
    Oh hey, it's the dungeon from the demo! My fire spell does some real damage, especially on the ones with exploding barrels.
    Oh, now I know what the giant monsters are called: trolls! This boss is similar to the overworld troll I met earlier, just, you know, harder. The game was not expecting me to lob fireballs, so while it took a few tries, the troll went down.
    Done with the dungeon, I explore the rest of the swamp, and see some guys standing around a campfire. I wonder what they want OHDEARGODADRAGON!
    Theoretically, I could win against him if I widdle his health down on horseback. It will take a while, but it can be done!
    Then he started breathing fire and I was like "Let's try again later."
    There's still some stuff on the southeast part of the map, so I headed that way. Ran into some dudes, saw a horse-launcher, but decided to save until I checked out the gatehouse to the south. Oh, they have a catapult. That's ... that's great.
    I made a beeline for the catapult to kill the operator, played keepaway with the cards until I could get some distance, and then used guard-counters to finish them off one at a time.
    Next, I made my way to the a new map area. Oh, hi sad princess! Yes, I'll happily deliver this letter to your dad! In about 20 hours or so...
    I horselaunched up to the southern cliffs and had a really fun fight where I tore ass through an entire enemy camp, leaping on top of ruins to fight spellcasters and circlestrafing armored dudes. I also checked out the west side and teleported into some jail (gaol,I guess,) where some Bloodhound-dude attacks me. He can definitely wait until a later day, and I had like 4000 runes to spend.
    Before I finished up, I ended up visited a new, mysterious forest area. I found a poison, laser-shooting flower and some gigabears, but those definitely are for another day.
    Finally, I hopped back to the church near the beginning to enhance some of my weapons at the anvil since I had a grab bag of Smithing Stones, but a witch gave me a bell that apparently lets me use my ashes. Sadly, I still couldn't figure out it. Save it for another night.

You know what? Nanowrimo's cancelled on account of the world is stupid.
  • KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular

how

not like this
    not like this

tbf you only have to invade three times and the outcome doesn't matter so you can just let the host kill you or throw yourself off a cliff or whatever

It might happen if I have to do it to get a spell or an item or something, but otherwise, meh. I loathe even the idea of participating in the PvP thing, even if it's just to come in naked, sit emote, and wait for the end.

I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
  • Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    edited April 2022
    it's very funny to see someone complain about overly optimized invaders and i just got done watching a streamer invade for a couple hours and get almost nothing but hosts with rivers of blood, moonveil, dual naginatas, and 2 overleveled mage phantoms

as if hosts aren't cheesing twice as hard as the invaders

I'm sure it doesn't help now that afk rune farming invaders has become a strategy now in addition to gank squads. That said, people summoning help are often going to be people having trouble with PvE solo and not prepared for an invader even with help so I really don't have much sympathy for people invading anyone not using the Tongue.

My particular invasion locations sent me to a pretty small area with a boss so even if I wanted a fight there's a good chance I wouldn't make it to the host before they engaged the boss anyway.

It's not, actually. Just if you want to get there before you've made it to the Snowfield. So far I've found back ways into basically every special/quest zone, I think. (Some of them are giant pains in the ass, but they exist.)

Like, Ranni's coffin roller coaster was WAY better than getting to deeproot via the fuckin' platfall beam hellmouth.

It's not just the birb farm, there are some useful drops/pickups for some builds there. That's mostly why I did the quest. Being able to farm runes while waiting on hold with customer support was just a bonus.

how

not like this
    not like this

See my note about immediately using the item that sends you home from multiplayer. The quest does not care about the outcome of the invasions, just that you entered a host's world as the Bloody Finger invader. Hope the host enjoyed the free runes and rune arc. I sure have enjoyed getting an Incantation and armor drop useful for Arcane/Bleed builds early.

Steel Angel on
    Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
    edited April 2022

how

not like this
    not like this

It might happen if I have to do it to get a spell or an item or something, but otherwise, meh. I loathe even the idea of participating in the PvP thing, even if it's just to come in naked, sit emote, and wait for the end.

If you gesture a whole lot as you walk up, like Erudition or other similarly showy things, it generally means "I would like to have a proper scrap, good sir" and y'all just go at it all orderly-like, 1:1.

I mean sometimes you also get blowed up mid-gesture, but "proper duel" is indeed a thing, if it helps. (Pls note I did 3 and that's it, but I really do think I might turn my dude into a Godskin Noble cosplay and go invading for a bit, for laughs. Pity I can't quite use his spell though.)

dporowski on
  • JusticeJustice Registered User regular
    So, how do people do co-op with randoms? Probably the biggest thing I enjoy about Souls games is the suspenseful, tactical exploration. I feel like having someone around to help, who I couldn't even talk to, would make it not very chill.

• AvalonGuardAvalonGuard Registered User regular
    Justice wrote: »
    So, how do people do co-op with randoms? Probably the biggest thing I enjoy about Souls games is the suspenseful, tactical exploration. I feel like having someone around to help, who I couldn't even talk to, would make it not very chill.

I had a blast romping around stormveil with randoms with my second character. It’s actually more chill because a lot of the singular pressure is removed. Nearly every single one of my rando co-op partners has been pleasant enough.

Except for the one guy that insisted I cleared stuff for him. That was a little weird, but I went HAM in the courtyard on purpose to see what I could handle and he got overconfident and tried to do the same thing.

• TelMarineTelMarine Registered User regular
    edited April 2022
    Fire Giant down. Got it to like 1 health and was like "don't invoke your special ability to die when a boss has one health". Took me so many tries.

TelMarine on
    3ds: 4983-4935-4575
This discussion has been closed.