As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The [TV] Thread, what a concept!

• OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    Zonugal wrote: »
    Quark, upon learning that he was misdiagnosed with a terminal illness, yelling that he gets to sue his doctor for malpractice is maybe the happiest I have ever seen a TV character get?

https://youtu.be/GyBaV1jQn-E?t=216

Look at this asshole. So fuckin' ecstatic

Correct me if I'm wrong because it's been forever since I've seen this but the big bid was from Odo, right

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • MatevMatev Cero Miedo Registered User regular
    Olivaw wrote: »
    Zonugal wrote: »
    Quark, upon learning that he was misdiagnosed with a terminal illness, yelling that he gets to sue his doctor for malpractice is maybe the happiest I have ever seen a TV character get?

https://youtu.be/GyBaV1jQn-E?t=216

Look at this asshole. So fuckin' ecstatic

Correct me if I'm wrong because it's been forever since I've seen this but the big bid was from Odo, right

ctk77j8njw8r.png

"Go down, kick ass, and set yourselves up as gods, that's our Prime Directive!"
    Hail Hydra
  • MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    I have finished Our Flag Means Death and I cried a lot.

• nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    Well I just finished "Body Parts". And it was so good I think I'm gonna stop the binge for today.
    This was one of the most touching things I've seen. Quark has helped a lot of people on the station, albeit while being greedy and cynical, but he always had a heart in there. I was not expecting him to actually become a destitute pariah...and I was equally surprised by the sudden influx of help from the station.

I said it before, but this show is at its best when it is dealing with relationships and politics. Season 4 is all killer no filler.

Yeah, that's the episode that really won me over on Quark. While he never really becomes a totally different person or anything, he definitely has some wonderful moments sprinkled throughout the next few seasons.

I think it says a lot of really interesting stuff about Quark that
    He put himself so in danger during the occupation.

Quire.jpg
  • Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    4 episodes of Halo in and
    no grunts no halo. Cortana basically doesn't have a part.

In the games, at least the first trilogy, there's this strong "last days of mankind" atmosphere. The war with the Covenant has been going on for decades, every battle is lost. Its basically just a matter of time until they find Earth and everyone left dies.

In the show the Covenant come across as little more than high tech border raiders. They mention a planet getting glassed at one point but they're really not presented as any kind of existential threat whatsoever.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular

In the games, at least the first trilogy, there's this strong "last days of mankind" atmosphere. The war with the Covenant has been going on for decades, every battle is lost. Its basically just a matter of time until they find Earth and everyone left dies.

In the show the Covenant come across as little more than high tech border raiders. They mention a planet getting glassed at one point but they're really not presented as any kind of existential threat whatsoever.

I wonder how much of that is because
    in the games, especially the early ones, rendering aliens is a lot easier (and less expensive) than humans - the whole uncanny valley thing.
    In live action, or live action + CGI, it's the other way around.

in the games, especially the early ones, rendering aliens is a lot easier (and less expensive) than humans - the whole uncanny valley thing.

They've had like ten years to work on this and something more than most movies right? Anyway its not like the games had no(or even not many) human characters. This is another very specific narrative that the games made and that made them cool.
    Like, I can't understate how important Halo 2 felt when it came out. It was like they'd skipped right to the climax of the movie and that was the whole thing. The aliens that had murdered every major population center in the galaxy arrive in earth atmosphere and NOBODY is ready or knows what to do. Its the goddamned end times. The marketing for Halo depicted MC entering the fight as a fucking miracle. Soldiers talking about how completely fucking boned they are and then Master Chief shows up and they talk about him like a literal holy figure.

Quire.jpg
  • OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular

They've had like ten years to work on this and something more than most movies right? Anyway its not like the games had no(or even not many) human characters. This is another very specific narrative that the games made and that made them cool.
    Like, I can't understate how important Halo 2 felt when it came out. It was like they'd skipped right to the climax of the movie and that was the whole thing. The aliens that had murdered every major population center in the galaxy arrive in earth atmosphere and NOBODY is ready or knows what to do. Its the goddamned end times. The marketing for Halo depicted MC entering the fight as a fucking miracle. Soldiers talking about how completely fucking boned they are and then Master Chief shows up and they talk about him like a literal holy figure.

Halo 2 felt like the climax to a movie up until the actual climax, which might as well say [SCENE MISSING] before smashing to credits

And yeah they had ten years, but these specific people didn't work on this project for ten years, it's been passed around over and over again. These are just the only people who managed to actually finish it and bring it over the finish line somehow

The show is clearly trying its best but it is working with some mediocre scripts and mediocre showrunning and that's really hurting it. Which is sort of how I felt about the original Halo narratives, to be honest, except that those have the excuse of being video games in the early 2000s when cinematic production values were like "check out these lips moving on these characters" and the high bar for writing was in vastly different genres

I mean c'mon they aren't even using the goddamn theme music for their own goddamn theme music, we just gotta accept that this thing is never gonna feel like Halo

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • GrisloGrislo Registered User regular
    Taskmaster is back, and it was a really solid first episode.

Very promising start for this series, and the contestants are great.

This post was sponsored by Tom Cruise.
  • MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    I maintain that Sisko should have spaced Quark in season one.
    When he's trying to evacuate the station because the Cardassians are returning, Quark sells fake transportation off of the station. He literally sells fake tickets to refugees promising them safety.

Imagine getting to your space port and finding out your family doesn't actually have a way off.

I'm certain I focused on that way more than other people and yes, it was season one, which might as well be a mulligan for most Star Trek, but it really left a bad impression on me.

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    edited April 2022

I mean it’s clearly building up to something. It’s not saying this is all the status quo. And frankly it’s telling a halo story that’s new, In a new era, why would it be treading the same ground as the games? Why would it feel like the era of the games if it’s an origin story?

It’s 4 episodes in and it’s an origin story, it’s clearly building all this stuff up. There’s every indication that is where it’s going, every line of dialogue and every character set up supports this. Like why would a show about the beginning of the covenant war feel like the games that are set during and after a covenant war? Cortana is there but at this stage she’s still Halseys tool, and so it’s being set up that she’s going to side with the chief, but they can’t show that if they don’t give time to Halsey first. It’s just bizarre to expect the show to have cortana be the secondary character when it’s about them first meeting and developing their relationship in the context of johns initial overbearing relationship with Halsey. The show is spending more time on Halsey rather than cortana because without establishing the weight of the Halsey relationship you don’t fully appreciate the bond between chief and cortana. It’s like yeah the show isn’t just master chief and cortana walking around, because it’s not the narratives of the game. If that isn’t your thing that’s fine, but it’s still a legitimate take on halo as a franchise

Also the Covenant are 100% presented as an existential threat, every time they’ve shown up they’ve slaughtered everything but the Spartans. They took over a military cruiser effortlessly, and every bit of dialogue is basically the brass shitting themselves at what’s coming. The show is conveying that a larger confrontation is coming.

Like it’s understandable if people would prefer it was set later in the timeline, but it’s set before the war breaks out and before the majority if humanity really knows what the covenant are. That’s part of the established lore so it’s not even like the shows changing that

Also on a side note the theme music is briefly used in the intro, tho not enough

But I mean it’s halo. It has small changes here and there and is exploring a different era of the narrative but it’s Halo ass Halo and there’s every indication it will get even Haloeir as it goes on because all the table setting is indicating that

Prohass on
  • PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    How many jokes in that there Halo show

• ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    How many jokes in that there Halo show

I mean I’ve laughed once or twice, and there’s some lore nods and references that are fun if you’re into halo. It’s not grim dark but it’s not super light either

I genuinely don't know what "grimdark" means any more given the last time I tuned into Halo discourse it was talking about how many kids the show kills

• TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Olivaw wrote: »

Halo 2 felt like the climax to a movie up until the actual climax, which might as well say [SCENE MISSING] before smashing to credits

And yeah they had ten years, but these specific people didn't work on this project for ten years, it's been passed around over and over again. These are just the only people who managed to actually finish it and bring it over the finish line somehow

The show is clearly trying its best but it is working with some mediocre scripts and mediocre showrunning and that's really hurting it. Which is sort of how I felt about the original Halo narratives, to be honest, except that those have the excuse of being video games in the early 2000s when cinematic production values were like "check out these lips moving on these characters" and the high bar for writing was in vastly different genres

I mean c'mon they aren't even using the goddamn theme music for their own goddamn theme music, we just gotta accept that this thing is never gonna feel like Halo

It's the very first part of the opening credits music, and they use the theme in the soundtrack at least once in every episode, including in ep 4 right as they said the word Halo the first time.

steam_sig.png
  • minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    There’s definitely a few more jokes in the subsequent episodes than in the pilot, but it takes itself pretty (overly) seriously. For the most part, all the main POV characters are in pretty non-great places so far, so it doesn’t leave itself a lot of breathing room for gags.

For the record, no kids killed this episode. But there were plenty of child soldiers. So…

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    The science is based on the Child Murder to Chuckle Ratio. The Golden ChiMChuRa.

You should know this stuff!

vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
    While fully admitting that I come into the conversation with deep personal and professional grudges, I have yet to hear even a single scrap of anything that justifies the show's existence, let alone its GDP-of-many-countries development budget or its decade lead time.

Coulda had a decade of interesting, surprising shows, coulda had a dozen chances to fall in love, and instead there's one big bucket of reheated corporate slurry Because Brand Recognition. Even if the show hadn't negatively impacted me personally, I think I'd find it hard to muster anything but resentment for a show that so ably represents the worst impulses and tendencies of an industry hell bent on smothering and flattening itself.

• Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    edited April 2022
    The long form ad for Halo 3 with the museum and old vets was wildly more compelling than the show is.

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular

Coulda had a decade of interesting, surprising shows, coulda had a dozen chances to fall in love, and instead there's one big bucket of reheated corporate slurry Because Brand Recognition. Even if the show hadn't negatively impacted me personally, I think I'd find it hard to muster anything but resentment for a show that so ably represents the worst impulses and tendencies of an industry hell bent on smothering and flattening itself.

Feel free to ignore those this one but is this a story that you can tell her then (or want to).

edited April 2022
    Blake T wrote: »

Feel free to ignore those this one but is this a story that you can tell her then (or want to).

Oh I've alluded to it, but maybe never said outright, but enough time has passed that it's probably in the clear

My very first professional writing gig was on a Showtime show, back when Halo was still at Showtime. It was a high-fantasy action show, a prequel to a popular "series" (being generous with that term, honestly) of novels. Lin-Manuel Miranda was writing original songs for it, even demoed one. There were jokes and queer folks and the writers room was diverse as hell and filled with brilliant people (but also me, so let's not give them too much credit on that count). We had a full season scripted, ten episodes, we were ready to go.

But Showtime was bleeding money on Halo, and they had nothing to show for it. And they started axing shows in development left and right, putting more and more eggs in their Halo basket. And then they didn't even make Halo, it went to fuckin' Paramount. All those years, all those dead shows, for something they didn't even end up making. Because Brand Recognition.

Poorochondriac on
  • minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    Oof, what a raw fuckin’ deal, man.

• WheatBun01WheatBun01 Face It, Tiger Registered User regular
    edited April 2022
    Edit: I probably shouldn't mention what I think the project was like that, sorry

WheatBun01 on
    WheatBun01 wrote: »
    Edit: I probably shouldn't mention what I think the project was like that, sorry

I gave Mr. Policeman all the clues, for sure. Just don't wanna put anything that could get scraped by a bot or whatever, ya know

• ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    Can't believe Halo robbed us of a Goblins in the Castle television series.

• Munkus BeaverMunkus Beaver You don't have to attend every argument you are invited to. Philosophy: Stoicism. Politics: Democratic SocialistRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Finished "The Ship" and had to stop again. I actually shed a tear at the end of the episode, after the line
    We will both keep the predators at bay.

So simple, and yet. And yet.

Humor can be dissected as a frog can, but dies in the process.
  • rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    Oh shit, I know what show you’re talking about and now I’m mad too and I’m not even involved in its production.

I wanted to watch that!

rhylith wrote: »
    Oh shit, I know what show you’re talking about and now I’m mad too and I’m not even involved in its production.

I wanted to watch that!

I totally forgot it was in production until LMM got mentioned and now I feel robbed all over again.

Quire.jpg

I wanted to watch that!

I totally forgot it was in production until LMM got mentioned and now I feel robbed all over again.

Never made it to production, got killed in between the writers room wrapping and production starting.

• KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    ChicoBlue wrote: »
    Can't believe Halo robbed us of a Goblins in the Castle television series.

the Bruce Coville book?

• tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular

I wanted to watch that!

Probably the only way I was ever gonna consume that series, let's face it

• Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Anyone watching Moon Knight? Is it any good?

• A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    Anyone watching Moon Knight? Is it any good?

I am! I'm really enjoying it. A bit biased because I'm a fan of the character anyway. And I'm a filthy Marvel entertainment lover.

But the performances are good, the concept is done well and it's got F Murray Abraham!

vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
  • ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    After two episodes I kinda hate Moon Knight. It seems to have chosen all the parts of the comics I don't like to adapt, and the bits I do like it's done very poorly.

uyvfOQy.png
  • MagellMagell Detroit Machine Guns Fort MyersRegistered User regular
    I'm pretty meh on Moon Knight so far.

On the other hand I started watching Winning Time and I love it, but I'm also a big basketball fan so that definitely helps.

edited April 2022
    One neat thing about Moon Knight if you’re watching on a surround sound setup: the audio for Khonshu’s voice is mixed entirely to the rear speakers and subwoofer. Really neat way to do a startling “voice in the back of your head” feel with some clever audio engineering.

minor incident on
    Unfortunately otherwise he's just really, really loud, which isn't fun when dealing with the usual horrible audio mixing nowadays.

uyvfOQy.png
    In conclusion, Moon Knight is a land of contrasts.

Heh

vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
  • DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    I just love how big an edgelord loser Konshu is

Basically I was hoping for 80s-90s Moon Knight that I'm familiar with, and we're getting 2010s on Moon Knight I never cared for. The one cool part I do like from that, they made into a big joke.

uyvfOQy.png
This discussion has been closed.