As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Penny Arcade - Comic - The Eldest Ring

DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin

The Eldest Ring!

Penny Arcade - Comic - The Eldest Ring

Videogaming-related online strip by Mike Krahulik and Jerry Holkins. Includes news and commentary.

Read the full story here

• Options
    ironzergironzerg Registered User regular
    Don't say it.

You shouldn't say it.

I didn't want to say it.

But I'm going to say it.

Someone has to say it.

"contain"

• Options
    GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    Does Sony have a problem when having a PS5 is the most implausible part of a story that involves time travel?

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • Options
    dennisdennis aka bingley Registered User regular
    GONG-00 wrote: »
    Does Sony have a problem when having a PS5 is the most implausible part of a story that involves time travel?

Well, he was able to travel to 2029 first. There it only costs 10x MSRP to buy one.

• Options
    V1mV1m Registered User regular
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Don't say it.

You shouldn't say it.

I didn't want to say it.

But I'm going to say it.

Someone has to say it.

"contain"

We should all appreciate what it likely to be the best euphemism used this week.

• Options
    T-DangerT-Danger Registered User regular
    Watching a sub six minute speedrun of Elden Ring, and I can definitely agree, this strip is very accurate.

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Only speed run of this I really am interested in is all rune bearers no glitches. Then you have to actually play the game.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    Play the game? In a speedrun?

how droll

• Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    I REALLY want to see one of these speed runs, but I don't want to spoil any late game bosses. So I must wait, while I continue my 100+ hour game.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    RatherDashing89RatherDashing89 Registered User regular
    First we need to talk about parallel universes.

• Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    Sometimes you gotta Keister a PS5. At least it is tapered. The PS4 has that groove that you’d need to tape over or it would catch.

• Options
    McFodderMcFodder Registered User regular
    I would've thought "containment" would be the best argument for an Xbox Series S.

Or at least a PS4 Slim.

Switch Friend Code: SW-3944-9431-0318
    PSN / Xbox / NNID: Fodder185
  • Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
  • Options
    Armored ChocoboArmored Chocobo Registered User regular
    You can skip Radagon if you warp into the QPU where he became a physical therapist instead of an Avatar of the Golden Order

• Options
    EvermournEvermourn Registered User regular
    Yeah, when I saw that this had been done I assumed it was by actually playing the game - but it's all glitching and such. It's impressive that they worked it out, but it doesn't seem an accurate description of what was achieved.

• Options
    DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    Yeah, I feel like glitch-based speed runs aren't really impressive. The glitch is doing 95% of the work here.

• Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited April 2022
    I still think the highlight in speedrun tech is the whole zelda BOTW technique of stasising an object, smacking it enough to send it flying into outer space in the right direction, and gripping onto it for dear life.

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular
    For me it really depends on the glitch. Single frame or otherwise short window? Impressive. Long, complicated and very exact setup? Impressive. Haven't actually looked at an for Elden Ring yet.

sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion
  • Options
    Like, I get that discovering and even executing glitches can be difficult. But like, lets say you devised a way using holograms and stealth camouflage to make it look you ran a race really fast, when you actually hopped on a moped and rode it to the finish line. I would be impressed as hell, but I wouldn't think that should count as being faster than the other people that really ran it.

• Options
    Dirty wrote: »
    Like, I get that discovering and even executing glitches can be difficult. But like, lets say you devised a way using holograms and stealth camouflage to make it look you ran a race really fast, when you actually hopped on a moped and rode it to the finish line. I would be impressed as hell, but I wouldn't think that should count as being faster than the other people that really ran it.

It doesn't "count" as being faster. No one is running a Speedrun and saying "I'm so much better at this game then people who play it normally." And games have glitchless and glitched categories. Which is more popular or gets more development has to do with which one has more interesting tech to run or is more interesting to watch. People who run glitched runs are just saying that they are faster than other people in the same category. No speedrunner is out there bragging about their times being faster than a separate category of run.

• Options
    I know there are different categories, but at the end of the day, the runs that get the most attention are the ones with the lowest times, and those are almost always glitch runs.

• Options
    Dirty wrote: »
    I know there are different categories, but at the end of the day, the runs that get the most attention are the ones with the lowest times, and those are almost always glitch runs.

There are a ton of games where the fastest run is not the most popular. Particularly those with credits warps, including Ocarina of Time.

Super Mario 64 has a very popular 120 star run. It's not glitchless, but neither is it "the lowest time". And it absolutely showcases skill at playing the game, not just utilizing glitches.

• Options
    PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
    The idea that something doesn't take any skill anymore because it involves glitches is ridiculous

• Options
    H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    Platy wrote: »
    The idea that something doesn't take any skill anymore because it involves glitches is ridiculous

Well then it's a good thing absolutely nobody said that.

• Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Glitch speedrunning, much like rare moth collecting, takes a great deal of skill, dedication, patience, and life commitment.

Both also bore me to absolute tears and I wouldn't even really be interested in chatting with someone about that hobby, when normally I'm interested in hobbies. Moth collecting would probably be slightly more interesting to hear about.

What is this I don't even.