As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

I Really Hope the [Kids] are alright

• #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    edited April 2022
    My wife was so excited to do an egg hunt for the first time
    c3yiksd1wsrq.jpg

Then Bean wasn't particularly into it. He didnt know what the hell we were on about 😅

#pipe on
  • KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular
    edited April 2022
    #pipe wrote: »
    My wife was so excited to do an egg hunt for the first time
    c3yiksd1wsrq.jpg

Then Bean wasn't particularly into it. He didnt know what the hell we were on about 😅

I mean, I get that feeling, both sides. I know Toby would have zero idea what an egg hunt was unless I showed him clear footage of an egg hunt, which could easily be frustrating. I'm also vaguely remembering having to be more or less led to eggs when I was younger because I just didn't quite get the point. :sweat_smile:

Kalnaur on
    I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
  • lazegamerlazegamer The magnanimous cyberspaceRegistered User regular
    MegaMan001 wrote: »
    I'm gunning for the "no word. Except for a few exceptions, is off limits given context" teaching method.

Yeah, I explained to my child that no words are off limits. It's what you're trying to accomplish with the words that matters. You can find all kinds of ways to be hurtful without using 'bad words', and that is clearly worse than saying fuck when you stub your toe.

This leads in to a discussion of what taboos are and how they are different from right and wrong. Just because a societal taboo around some words might be silly, you should still be aware of them if you want to get along with other people.

I would download a car.
  • Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    Didn’t @Fishman make a collated post of all of the other easter hunts?

• ProlegomenaProlegomena Frictionless Spinning The VoidRegistered User regular
    Blake T wrote: »
    Didn’t @Fishman make a collated post of all of the other easter hunts?

Yes but you're going to have to tell us the password.

• QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited April 2022
    Helping fill plastic eggs for the nieces and nephews today and I made sure to have each one consist entirely of M&Ms except for a single near identical sour jelly bean and vice versa.

After the egg hunt they poured all their gains into a single bucket to share, quickly catching the difference between the two.

Those commie bastards.

Quid on
  • sponospono Mining for Nose Diamonds Booger CoveRegistered User regular
    The boy loves hunting for eggs, perhaps too much so

We've done four egg hunts in the last week

640qocnq4ske.gif
  • MulysaSemproniusMulysaSempronius but also susie nyRegistered User regular
    I read this thread early Sunday morning, realized we hadn't hidden eggs.
    But the kids were already awake. So we had to do some shenanigans to get them out of the living room to hide the eggs, then bring them back in.

My 8-year old wasn't fooled, but didn't spoil it for her younger brother because she knew that pretending the eggs magically arrived while they were out was the key to getting extra candy from eggs. I'm not sure how much he actually still believes. It's not important that they do, and if they ask, we're honest. But it's a little bit of fun.

If that's all there is my friends, then let's keep dancing
  • DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    edited April 2022
    A few Christmases back, my cousins were over, and my little cousin asked me "what's the scoop on Santa?" and I was like "well, that's a weird way to ask that." but the whole room got silent while everyone in my family waited to see if I was gonna teach this seven-year-old some hard truths.

I told him that Santa died a long time ago, and it was indeed his parents and family that left him presents, but they did it to honor Santa's memory because he was so beloved.

he nodded sagely and said "it's good that we do that. Santa was good."

edit: it's so weird that we give kids these stories about holiday personages even though the inevitable result is having to tell your child that magic isn't actually real and you've been lying to them.

Depressperado on
  • QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    A few Christmases back, my cousins were over, and my little cousin asked me "what's the scoop on Santa?" and I was like "well, that's a weird way to ask that." but the whole room got silent while everyone in my family waited to see if I was gonna teach this seven-year-old some hard truths.

I told him that Santa died a long time ago, and it was indeed his parents and family that left him presents, but they did it to honor Santa's memory because he was so beloved.

edit: it's so weird that we give kids these stories about holiday personages even though the inevitable result is having to tell your child that magic isn't actually real and you've been lying to them.

Gotta start out believing the little lies before moving on to the bigger ones.

• KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular

I look at this in the same way that I look at the Venus de Milo statue. It's not Venus. It's just a statue of a woman, sans arms. We've decided it's a goddess. So does Venus actually exist? Yes, because we made her up. Is she a physical reality? In art yes, but in person, not that I've seen.

Santa, as the concept exists, is every parent, every gift given in good will, every truly felt saying of Merry Christmas. Santa isn't a single being, at least that I've ever seen, but Santa is a concept, and one that we embody. And that's true magic, because that true good will feels rare sometimes, but can easily bring out the best in others. It feels like magic. But the magic isn't a fat man making toys at the North Pole, it's our using that mythic being as a reason to be as jolly and kind as the being we made up. Most of the modern holiday myths are of that vein, beings representing what we want to convey on that day.

The basic answer I'd give to my kiddo if he ever asks is that Santa isn't a single person, if he ever was, but all of us who embrace kindness and goodness et al in the spirit of a holiday.

I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
  • ThroThro pgroome@penny-arcade.com Registered User regular
    Santa isn't real in our house. You can play pretend with it if you want, that's fine. Also some kids believe he is real, and that's ok too that's their family's choice. You let them do their thing. So there's a reasonable lesson about tolerance in there which works out ok.
    But then there's grandma. See, to get presents from Santa via his helper grandma, you have to believe in Santa, apparently. And so it has come to pass that she has taught her own grandchildren to knowingly lie to her in order to get more stuff. Now I don't know quite how I feel about this lesson. Seems a little cynical for a 4-year old. But also, very accurate?

• RanlinRanlin Oh gosh Registered User regular
    spono wrote: »

Hah yeah when our kiddo was younger she loved hunting down eggs and would have us rehide them over and over while she hid.

• lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Santa is for other people's houses.
    Santa does not come to our house.

is Santa real? That depends on what each person thinks. Ellie doesn't think he is, but she likes the idea of a person encouraging others to be kind to people. (her words and decision). And she knows that Thomas thinks that Santa is real, so she won't make him Sad by saying he's not.

She gets enough of all of that at School.

I need to really start working with her on Jewish holidays.

• BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    spono wrote: »

Apparently I hid one of the eggs to well, and so we found one tonight playing outside. Sapling was a little bummed that I had to throw out the candy (it's been drizzly on and off), but then started carrying it around everywhere calling it "Eggy", hiding and then finding it.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • SharpyVIISharpyVII Registered User regular
    edited April 2022
    Son eats a bit of his sandwich.

One minute later he bursts in to tears and has a full meltdown because someone ate his sandwich.

Kids...

Also we all have covid....

SharpyVII on
  • DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    How the hell did Athena pee her pants and completely avoid getting the crotch of her jeans wet

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• CroakerBCCroakerBC TorontoRegistered User regular
    Kiddo wakes up this morning and cranks out two poos in the hour before daycare. OK, we think, maybe he was bunged up.

Then he goes to daycare and drops two more in two hours.

Then they, understandably, send him home until Friday.

He comes home, inhales lunch while I cancel two days worth of meetings, then has another poo.

By now he has a very sore diaper-rash bottom and is not on the best mood. But we struggle through and have dinner and he goes to bed.

And proceeds to scream the house down for a half hour, before collapsing, presumably exhausted.

I really hope tomorrow isn’t as strong as this, I’m really very tired.

• MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    A stomach bug has been running rampant through our house. It originated from my son’s preschool and got him. Two days of him being sick and throwing up meant little to no sleep for me.

Then I got it yesterday. Shivers, bad stomach, and a fever. Thankfully, it passed in a few hours.

Then my daughter threw up all over her floor at 1am. More puke clean up for me. She seemed to be doing better, but unleashed some more bile onto her bed before lunch. Nothing in her tummy, so it was mostly liquids.

Now I’m crossing my fingers my wife doesn’t get it…

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    It's always such a struggle to figure out things to do during the many vacations my kid has. He has ~12 weeks off per year, and then another few random days off for various other things. We have family of my partner living nearby who like to have him over, but I always feel awkward about asking them for specific days. Currently one aunt is excited to have him over for King's Day, but that's the only day of the week I know for sure I can entertain him and I have that day off (bank holiday).

I'm really looking forward to him being a bit older and more independent. At the moment I just can't do anything on my own, as the kid just wants my attention unless he watches TV or is playing at a friend's house.

• VivixenneVivixenne Remember your training, and we'll get through this just fine. Registered User regular
    edited April 2022
    Aldo wrote: »
    It's always such a struggle to figure out things to do during the many vacations my kid has. He has ~12 weeks off per year, and then another few random days off for various other things. We have family of my partner living nearby who like to have him over, but I always feel awkward about asking them for specific days. Currently one aunt is excited to have him over for King's Day, but that's the only day of the week I know for sure I can entertain him and I have that day off (bank holiday).

I'm really looking forward to him being a bit older and more independent. At the moment I just can't do anything on my own, as the kid just wants my attention unless he watches TV or is playing at a friend's house.
    Are there school holiday programs being run in your area? Lots of places over here roll out free or low-cost special stuff just for school holidays - food safari at the shopping centre, fairs, craft events, art classes, vacation sports programs, workshops (anything from candle making to STEM to woodworking), special movie sessions, etc. If they’re old enough to be at a friend’s house maybe you and his friends’ parents can rotate taking them to different events?

Vivixenne on
    XBOX: NOVADELPHINI | DISCORD: NOVADELPHINI #7387 | TWITTER
    Vivixenne wrote: »
    Aldo wrote: »

Are there school holiday programs being run in your area? Lots of places over here roll out free or low-cost special stuff just for school holidays - food safari at the shopping centre, fairs, craft events, art classes, vacation sports programs, workshops (anything from candle making to STEM to woodworking), special movie sessions, etc. If they’re old enough to be at a friend’s house maybe you and his friends’ parents can rotate taking them to different events?

There's some stuff, last time we went to an event to try it different sports, for example. We also bought museum passes that give access to 400+ museums.

I don't think he's ever bored, but it sure involved a lot of planning on my part.

Soccer fields were too soggy for her very first practice/match so we played some tennis with her cousin instead

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    a sassy stance, as befits a tennis champ

• #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    Ups and Downs in the hashpipe household this week!

In bad new, Bean has a cold, and he's proving right all of the ASD literature that says kids with ASD tend to lash out and misbehave when they're sick. This morning after I woke up, his mum needed to go back to sleep because she'd been waking up with him every couple hours, and when I wouldn't let him go and wake her up he raked his fingernails down my face and drew blood.

In good news, we're about to start his behavioral therapies and we've been trying to hire someone to come and work with him a few times a week. This role is called a Behavioral Interventionist, they follow the plan created by the Behavioral Analyst and work directly with the child to execute this plan by playing and working with them on specific tasks towards a specific set of goals. They may also do things like take the child out on transit, help with potty training and self-dressing, help them interact with other kids and so on. To me this seems like a really hard job that would need a lot of training, but most BIs are just like... Early childhood education students or glorified baby sitters with no other qualifications. It's been really had finding anyone we feel good about.
    But we did! We found the absolute perfect person. She's coming for a tester session on Friday where she and Bean will just hang out and see if they vibe. We're gonna pay her so well and treat her so right if it works out.

• lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Ellie brought me home a mug that she coloured on for mother's day and I legit just sat and cried for a good five minutes.

I've never been comfortable with being on the traditional Mom place. It never feels like it fits me. I'm not the primary parent, never have been. My relationship with her is rocky, bumpy. We argue a lot and make each other cry more. She always chooses her father first and I'm honestly ok with it.

But as a result I never really expected to get any kind of heartfelt mother's Day stuff from her. It just didn't seem like how our relationship would work.

And then she comes home with this mug. It's got my name on it, in her writing, and lots of love hearts, in my favourite colours. And she was so very proud and excited and just overflowing with love to give it to me and it's all honestly just a bit too much.

I'm so fucking lucky.

• SharpyVIISharpyVII Registered User regular
    Bluey made me cry today.

Think the Covid exhaustion is getting to me.. :p

• DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    Something I've never noticed before is that my house is on top of a hill. Not a big hill, mind you, but big enough that when my youngest takes off on her bike she travels about a half a mile and then when she turns around to go home it's too hard and I have to go pick up her bike from someone's front yard.

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • MulysaSemproniusMulysaSempronius but also susie nyRegistered User regular
    oofta. My son is not doing well at school. He's angry, sad, anxious, depressed.. and he's six years old. He's in Kindergarten. And it is causing him distress every day.
    He is very bright, but also possible ADHD/possibly Autistic/ possibly both. Getting conflicting messages from different people, and there are months-long waitlist to see a regular psychiatrist that takes our insurance, so we have to wait to see somebody who will do more than take an evaluative snapshot.
    He gets highly dysregulated at school in ways we do not see at home or during camps he attends during school breaks. Yes, school is different than home or camp, but also, it's Kindergarten. He will have meltdowns at school, regularly. That we, again, do not see anywhere else. He is in a co-teaching classroom (so, one general education teacher, and one special education teacher in the classroom) and has a 1:1 paraprofessional. He gets counseling. He gets OT for his sensory processing. And I just.. I dunno what else we can do on our end, as we do not see this behavior outside of the school setting. What ever are they doing.

So yeah, applying for other schools, and we may even get him into a private school. I never thought I'd be the type to go outside the public school system, but here we are. Knocking up against hard walls.

If that's all there is my friends, then let's keep dancing
    So yeah, applying for other schools, and we may even get him into a private school. I never thought I'd be the type to go outside the public school system, but here we are. Knocking up against hard walls.

Gotta do what's best for you and yours. If you could change the system, fix the inequalities and dump a few trillion into public education you would have. But your own son only has two parents who can help him get started on this planet.

We can all discuss the systemic unfairness of public vs private education until the cows come home, but we all got kids who need us.

• honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    What's a good present for a 9 year old boy who has to rest his arm and can only eat puréed food for 6 weeks because he broke 4 teeth?

Kid of a coworker had a rather nasty fall last week and we wanted to give him a little something. Don't know him enough to know of any hobbies or preferences sadly.

• m!ttensm!ttens he/himRegistered User regular
    A few months subscription to Audible would be a nice gift for someone who has to take it easy and has all the time in the world to spend.

m!ttens wrote: »
    A few months subscription to Audible would be a nice gift for someone who has to take it easy and has all the time in the world to spend.

Along those lines, a nice pair of headphones?

• honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    Thanks. That's a good option.

• StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    My niece told me to stop saying she’s pretty because she already knows that.

I need that kind of confidence.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular

To reiterate, this is the reason why private schools should exist, which is to provide education to students whose needs aren’t being met in the public system.

As a public school teacher, I’ve pretty consistently said, I don’t have a problem sending my kid to a private school, but if need an actual reason to do it, be it behavioural or educational.

Athena's been coughing herself sick just at night lately and maybe it's just because she's laying down but then she sleeps on the couch with no coughing at all, so what if maybe somehow her room is making her sick and every time she coughs in her bedroom I'm simultaneously worried that she's going to get into a coughing fit that makes her vomit and that her being in her room is making it worse.

She already has a daily inhaler for asthma, but it always seems worst at night.

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    edited May 2022
    *cross-posting from the D&D parenting thread*

When our daughter was 6 months old, we gave her solid foods for the first time. I recommended applesauce, but the wife was steadfast that we start with something healthy and insisted on green beans. I recorded it and it went as well as you'd expect.

Her first bite ended up having her experience betrayal for the first time and her faced showed it. I made a gif of that moment, but can't post it her due to the size. So here's a direct link instead:

https://imgur.com/mvTrR6I

MNC Dover on
    Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page