As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Penny Arcade - Comic - Beyond D&D

DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin

Beyond D&D!

Penny Arcade - Comic - Beyond D&D

Videogaming-related online strip by Mike Krahulik and Jerry Holkins. Includes news and commentary.

Read the full story here

• LttlefootLttlefoot Registered User regular
    Tim Sweeney of Epic owns the ampersand. It was in ZZT

• QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    Even though it probably can't be addressed retroactively I hope, hope they start bundling digital and physical versions. The current setup is maddening.

• Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    Based on the timing of the conversation, Tycho ate an entire bunny head between sentences

I don't know if I prefer the image of one jaw-unhinging chomp or just a manic omnomnomnom

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    Not completely eaten. He's got it chipmunked into his cheeks.

• TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Based on the timing of the conversation, Tycho ate an entire bunny head between sentences

I don't know if I prefer the image of one jaw-unhinging chomp or just a manic omnomnomnom

Like that video of the ducks just going to town on that bowl of peas.

steam_sig.png
  • HevachHevach Registered User regular

If he managed to take both those ears in one bite he's on the wrong kind of website.

• TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Re: The newspost
    I loved 4th edition. Aside from latter era content bloat making it harder to sift through, and the huge amount of boring "required" bonus feats (+1 when using this specific weapon, etc) it was so much fun to build characters for. I think I made like 3 dozen only a few of which were ever actually played.

The greatest shame was that while one of the biggest complaints people had was "it's too video gamey", Wizards absolutely squandered the video game license by selling it to Atari who did shit-all with it. There were so many companies out with experience making TRPGs and it was the heydey of the DS. It would have been so rad to get something in the vein of DS versions FFTA or Disgaea but with the D&D license and 4e mechanics. That extra screen was built for that kinda stuff.

Do I harp on this point every time the topic of 4e comes up? Yes.
    Will I continue to do so? Also yes.

steam_sig.png
  • RatherDashing89RatherDashing89 Registered User regular
    Wait until you get into the licensing difference between Wizards of the Coast and WizKids (which is not, as it may seem, WotC stuff but 4Kidz), who makes the D&D stuff but isn't WotC but is maybe owned by them but still has to use a license to make their stuff or something?

• StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    Hollow bunnies?

Cowards.

YL9WnCY.png
  • H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited April 2022
    Wait until you get into the licensing difference between Wizards of the Coast and WizKids (which is not, as it may seem, WotC stuff but 4Kidz), who makes the D&D stuff but isn't WotC but is maybe owned by them but still has to use a license to make their stuff or something?

WizKids is the tabletop miniatures game company set up by Jordan Weisman after he left FASA (his previous company that made Battletech/Mechwarrior, Shadowrun, and Crimson Skies, among others). They started with a fantasy wargame called Mage Knight, then made Mechwarrior Dark Age, Heroclix, and a bunch of other stuff that didn't do as well IIRC. They were bought by Topps (yes, the baseball card company), but since 2009 WizKids is now owned by a company called NECA, which as far as I know isn't a subsidiary of any other business (neither Wizards of the Coast, nor WotC's parent, Hasbro).

WizKids has a license to produce some stuff for D&D, but that's the entire extent of that relationship.

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Armored ChocoboArmored Chocobo Registered User regular
    TECHNICALLY Hasbro acquired D&D Beyond, not WotC.

They're both subsidiaries that will very likely be merged later.