As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Come talk about the Jaguar, 3DO and Gex in the [Retro Games] Thread

• SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    Krathoon wrote: »
    The House of the Dead remake looks good. It still has that campy feel.

That's pretty cool. The original Saturn version is kinda rough, if I remember right Sega farmed it out to a b-team so it doesn't look or perform as well as something like Virtua Cop 2. It's still a lot of fun though.

• KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    All the Batman is $10 on gog. It seems PC worthy.
    https://www.gog.com/en/game/batman_arkham_knight_premium_edition

I was looking at pinball games on Steam. They are really stingy with those. Only 3 tables per game.

edited April 2022
    There were actually 3D games on the Amiga that pre-date DOOM. Ha. There were programmers smarter than Carmack.

Edit: Well, not really, Citadel came out after DOOM. Still, it was on an Amiga and similar quality to DOOM.

Well, I wish the guy that made Yaba Sanshiro mentioned this in his app. There was a new core long ago that can run House of the Dead, but it is not set as the default. So, it makes you think it can't run it.
    https://youtu.be/HqC9nUJV9zM

Krathoon on
    Installing Mac OS Snow Leopard in Virtual Box is a pain in the butt.

• cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    FYI, I'm reading that the Simpsons 1UP cabs have been marked down to $199 if anyone has a Walmart near them and wants to go hunting.

Not a big deal to me, since I don't think it's that great a game, TMNT would be another story.

wVEsyIc.png
  • DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    Not a big deal to me, since I don't think it's that great a game

The United States Coin-operated Laundromat Alliance has just put a bounty on your head.

Really, they need to release a Konami arcade collection on PC with the Simpson, X-Men, and TMNT fighters, but they will never do it.

• cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    Donnicton wrote: »
    Not a big deal to me, since I don't think it's that great a game

The United States Coin-operated Laundromat Alliance has just put a bounty on your head.

The last time I played it, it just felt janky and cheap, like most beat'em'ups of the era. The main selling point is the style.
    Really, they need to release a Konami arcade collection on PC with the Simpson, X-Men, and TMNT fighters, but they will never do it.

No way in hell, the licensing would be a nightmare.

wVEsyIc.png
  • TimFijiTimFiji Beast Lord Halfway2AnywhereRegistered User regular
    FYI, I'm reading that the Simpsons 1UP cabs have been marked down to $199 if anyone has a Walmart near them and wants to go hunting.

Not a big deal to me, since I don't think it's that great a game, TMNT would be another story.

Really? I've only seen 399 around here!

Switch: SW-2322-2047-3148 Steam: Archpriest
      Selling Board Games for Medical Bills
    • rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
      Reminder that Konami is releasing most of their Turtles games in a Cowallection this year for current systems.

edited April 2022
      TimFiji wrote: »

Really? I've only seen 399 around here!

https://brickseek.com/walmart-inventory-checker?sku=620999169
      PXL_20220418_153303357.MP.jpg

cj iwakura on
      wVEsyIc.png
      It might be a good idea to buy Ms. Pac Man on Steam.
      https://youtu.be/f6JG2kSCDo8

I see they have a Terminator 2 cabinet now, so I guess light guns are open season...
      k5um2nvg0vc9.png

What's the over/under on finally getting a Time Crisis release?

wVEsyIc.png
    • ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
      What's the over/under on finally getting a Time Crisis release?

That and MvC2 are heavily rumored to be the next big cabs they announce.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
    • BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
      They really need to stop making me regret buying toys and Lego instead of using that space for a mini arcade!!!

oosik_betsuni.png
      Steam: betsuni7
      edited April 2022
      Installing Mac OS X in VirtualBox is an annoying process. You have to use this iBoot loader to get it to work.
      Are there any old Mac only games worth playing?

Fun fact: Apple still supports Snow Leopard. The OS had software updates after I installed it.

Krathoon on
      edited April 2022
      Yeah. Apparently, there are really not much good Mac exclusives. Mac gaming kinda sucks. That amuses me.

The update to Snow Leopard inverted the mouse. I will try installing the other updates and see if it fixes it.
      That does not bode well that the update introduces a bug.
      There is a fix where you copy some files off the install dvd.

Krathoon on
    • emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    • ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
      WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
      edited April 2022
      I think Mac OS X in VirtualBox doesn't even have hardware accelerated graphics.

WinXP in VMware is pretty handy for those games from the early 2000s that Win10 doesn't support. Win10 dropped some DRM support and broke allot of games.

You can still activate WinXP. There is this website that lets you do it.

Krathoon on
      Here is a pretty good summary about what happened with Ultima 9.
      https://youtu.be/HkA1YmqTHxA

Executive meddling!

• StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
      I still feel the pain from Ultima IX
      the hype was so great

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
      camo_sig2.png
      the hype was so great

I never played it but I'm glancing at some playthroughs on youtube and the graphics appear more impressive than its fantasy contemporaries like 1998's Ocarina of Time.

edited April 2022
      emnmnme wrote: »
      the hype was so great

I never played it but I'm glancing at some playthroughs on youtube and the graphics appear more impressive than its fantasy contemporaries like 1998's Ocarina of Time.

It is not a horrible game. It is just buggy and chopped down to rush it out the door. Also, they butchered the Ultima lore. There is this museum in it that has all these powerful items that were destroyed after they were used in Ultima history. I guess you can argue that they are replicas. The fancy tapestry of the Avatar's adventures is also inaccurate.
      The game was made by a team that really did not know Ultima that well.

I really wish some people would take the original script for it and make a remake. I think the original script is on the internet somewhere. It would be worth a read to learn how it was really intended to end.

That lets play I posted is really good, but you might as well play that game for yourself. Really, the game is kinda like a Zelda version of Ultima.

Krathoon on
      edited April 2022
      This was when Ultima peaked. Ultima 7 parts 1 and 2. Really, Ultima 8 is also good, but it was rushed out the door like Ultima 9. Still, they managed not to drastically chop down the story.
      https://youtu.be/4ttf9YrkBdQ

Krathoon on
      edited April 2022
      I am not certain if Ultima 4-6 is a story arc or if they are standalone games.
      Ultima 6 looks good to me. 4 and 5 are pretty simple graphics wise.

Edit: Yeah. It is supposed to be the second trilogy. 4 and 5 are just so damn low tech.

You definitely have to print out the documentation if you play these games. GoG also has a cassette recording of Richard Garriot as a bonus.

Krathoon on
      edited April 2022
      Here is a current article on Richard Garriott.
      https://www.pcgamer.com/lord-british-is-now-lord-blockchain/

It kind of sounds like Little Big Planet, but with an MMO.
      I don't know if that will work.

Actually, I would recommend eXoDos for Ultima, you get more documentation and the box art.
      Buy the games on GoG for a legal copy.

I need a list of top DOS games of all time. See if I missed anything.

I made an Ultima thread on NeoGaf.
      https://www.neogaf.com/threads/avatar-it-is-the-ultima-thread.1635094/

Krathoon on
    • Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
      edited April 2022
      The House of the Dead remake looks good. It still has that campy feel.
      https://youtu.be/R6B7S2e-bOA

I'm waiting on someone to make a lightgun shell for the joy con before I try this. I'm also hoping for a patch that enables reloading by aiming off screen instead of it being a button push. If I can't play it that way then I'd rather play the original on a CRT or something.

Not that I'm a CRT purist, I just tried running my Super NT through my 55LGC1 and my god it was so beautiful. I get the whole argument about retro games being specially designed with the effects of CRT's in mind but there's also something to be said about experiencing these games in a new light using modern technology. The improvement in visual quality to some of these games make them feel like remakes if you have the right settings enabled on the right hardware. It's why I prefer to play on Analogue mode w/ the Pocket most of the time. With Gameboy games, especially using the custom color palletes, it's almost as if you are playing a modern day homage to the very game you are currently running.

Handsome Costanza on
      Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
      Resident 8bitdo expert.
      Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
      Yeah. I got Analogue's SNES and Genesis consoles. It is good to have some enhanced hardware since the hardware emulation is probably more accurate than software emulation.

I got an AVS for NES games since it was cheaper.

I think HotD has an option to reload by pointing away (one reviewer didn't realize you could even reload with a button). However whether that's actually off-screen is always an issue with gyro.

• SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
      ...If I can't play it that way then I'd rather play the original on a CRT or something.

Not that I'm a CRT purist, I just tried running my Super NT through my 55LGC1 and my god it was so beautiful. I get the whole argument about retro games being specially designed with the effects of CRT's in mind but there's also something to be said about experiencing these games in a new light using modern technology. The improvement in visual quality to some of these games make them feel like remakes if you have the right settings enabled on the right hardware. It's why I prefer to play on Analogue mode w/ the Pocket most of the time. With Gameboy games, especially using the custom color palletes, it's almost as if you are playing a modern day homage to the very game you are currently running.

Honestly my Saturn and an S-Video cable are the only reasons I still have a CRT. In a world where 50" 4K TVs are like $350 I oftentimes look at the giant boulder of metal, plastic, and glass that sits on a TV stand in my living room and envision how nice it would look with a flatscreen sitting there, but then I'll fire up Sega Rally or a Samurai Showdown game or something and that destroys that feeling for a while.

I know that there are a lot of options for upscaling old 240p and 480i video to make it look better on a modern television, but none of them give you the same image you can get on these old dinosaur screens.

I found my feelies for Ultima 9. It came with a journal, spell book, map, mural, and cards.
      The mural is a little infamous since it gets some things wrong. Maybe they are retcons.

Here is what I am talking about. Ultima 9 is the bizzaro Ultima.

https://wiki.ultimacodex.com/wiki/Tapestry_of_Ages

I know that there are a lot of options for upscaling old 240p and 480i video to make it look better on a modern television, but none of them give you the same image you can get on these old dinosaur screens.

240p has a look you can't quite fake (yet.) Not to mention the motion clarity.

Fuck 480i jitter/blur though. I would rather 480p all day even on a flatscreen.

• Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
      edited April 2022
      Yeah. I got Analogue's SNES and Genesis consoles. It is good to have some enhanced hardware since the hardware emulation is probably more accurate than software emulation.

I got an AVS for NES games since it was cheaper.

My hope is there will be an eventual NES core released for the Pocket, which I can then utilize with my TV via the dock.
      I think HotD has an option to reload by pointing away (one reviewer didn't realize you could even reload with a button). However whether that's actually off-screen is always an issue with gyro.

Oh interesting, now I'm back to just needing a lightgun shell. Etsy where you at?

Handsome Costanza on
      Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
      Resident 8bitdo expert.
      Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
    • NamrokNamrok Registered User regular
      edited April 2022
      Speaking of cabs, I built a thing.
      gv7dfarkj4tz.jpg

I got the very last, full sized DIY kit from my local Microcenter. Clearance prices too, less than $400. I also had a spare Pi3 to run it, which is nice since Raspberry Pi boards are almost impossible to find anymore. Grabbed a cheap 32" TCL screen, since mame has no need for 4k output or HDR. Also a kit of controls, speakers, amp, etc.

I ended up having to swap out all the microswitches that came in the controls kit, since they were the hottest of cheap chinese garbage that proliferates on Amazon. But the actual buttons aren't terrible. I really want to replace the joysticks too though. Been eyeing some nice IL models, but they are always out of stock everywhere. Because supply chains.

I had left the top gaping open for like a month, while I was figuring out what to do with it. I had originally wanted to do it up like a Galaga cabinet, but the geometry of the sides just wasn't going to work. Then I remembered the Polybius cabinet is generally thought of as all black, and I found a place that prints the marquee. I used some scrap wood in the workshop that was sitting around when I bought the house, and threw some LED strips on it for the light box. I'm super happy with how it all came out.

At some point in the far flung future I may try to add a trackball to the middle. But I increasingly doubt it.

Namrok on