As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[League of Legends] Here comes the Smolder

• Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular
    The split push item was good when it was designed for Quinn and like, two other top lane Ad assassins.

The split push item being for all top laners and turning them into little side objectives that perma push with no worry sucks.

• ChaosHatChaosHat Hop, hop, hop, HA! Trick of the lightRegistered User regular
    edited April 2022
    Oh shit I just gained 15 LP. Is my nightmare over? Also my last two ranked games were against teams that were basically all silver except for me. Hmmm.

The enemy team banned Diana and Nocturne so like a drunk little league dad I said "Wukong get in there and win this game" and he said "But Hat you've only played me in like three normals and you lost all of them maybe you should do Vi or Amu-" to which I replied "BATTER UP!"

I'm pretty sure it was my 1/0/3 stat line that won this game. It wasn't the fact that the opposing jungler was a Teemo which means his decision making is terrible. It definitely wasn't the Yasuo who was 8/2/1 at 19 minutes. Don't even bring up the 10/0/3 Jhin. All monkey power.

ChaosHat on
  • PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    Honestly, the talk about split pushing makes me miss Banner of Command sometimes.

Make my turret minion GROW!

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
    I think I've learned something about the monkey and it's that he's actually not a super great initiator like Diana. Maybe that's too generous to Diana's initiation. He's not a pretty good initiator like Diana.

See, Diana gets in quickly and groups them up. She can do it in the blink of an eye and then it fires. You use her movement ability to get in, which is fine because the cooldown is nonexistent off the Q. If you use monkey gap close to ult (W then E), then you have a little problem, because you really need his abilities to reposition DURING the ult and between casts. You also kind of want the ability to get out if needed. Diana is a one way door, that's just how she is, but you're not really building Zhonya's on monkey.

• IvelliusIvellius Registered User regular
    ChaosHat wrote: »
    I think I've learned something about the monkey and it's that he's actually not a super great initiator like Diana. Maybe that's too generous to Diana's initiation. He's not a pretty good initiator like Diana.

See, Diana gets in quickly and groups them up. She can do it in the blink of an eye and then it fires. You use her movement ability to get in, which is fine because the cooldown is nonexistent off the Q. If you use monkey gap close to ult (W then E), then you have a little problem, because you really need his abilities to reposition DURING the ult and between casts. You also kind of want the ability to get out if needed. Diana is a one way door, that's just how she is, but you're not really building Zhonya's on monkey.

A few comparative observations:

Diana's ultimate pulls people together, which helps set up some really nice combos (like Orianna ult, Yasuo ult, or even like a Xayah E to name a very few), where Wukong is more about disrupting a team fight over a longer period. His burst is also lot lower than Diana's, who will mostly wreck a team on her own, and you get two casts of the ult, so it's basically about slowing people down to get beat on by the rest of your team. I wouldn't say he's as good as Diana, but he's still pretty solid for opening up a fight, and then you can screw up their counter-response, too.

In terms of gap-closing, though, I don't know if that's an entirely fair comparison: I think W+E from monkey gets you more distance than Diana's E (I could be wrong), so a better comparison would just be one of the abilities singly. A lot of times you probably shouldn't need both for monkey (impulse is always strong to blow everything you have: I get it), so you can save one for the target you really need to hit.

I should pick up Wu for a bit though.

Me elsewhere:
    Steam, various fora: Ivellius
    League of Legends: Doctor Ivellius
    Twitch, probably another place or two I forget: LPIvellius
    edited April 2022
    Ivellius wrote: »

A few comparative observations:

Diana's ultimate pulls people together, which helps set up some really nice combos (like Orianna ult, Yasuo ult, or even like a Xayah E to name a very few), where Wukong is more about disrupting a team fight over a longer period. His burst is also lot lower than Diana's, who will mostly wreck a team on her own, and you get two casts of the ult, so it's basically about slowing people down to get beat on by the rest of your team. I wouldn't say he's as good as Diana, but he's still pretty solid for opening up a fight, and then you can screw up their counter-response, too.

In terms of gap-closing, though, I don't know if that's an entirely fair comparison: I think W+E from monkey gets you more distance than Diana's E (I could be wrong), so a better comparison would just be one of the abilities singly. A lot of times you probably shouldn't need both for monkey (impulse is always strong to blow everything you have: I get it), so you can save one for the target you really need to hit.

I should pick up Wu for a bit though.

Monkey definitely gap closes farther and definitely has the advantage that W doesn't need a target, although I'd say for the most part Diana will have Rocketbelt and the CD is short enough to be comparable with W. The difference is that Wukong needs the abilities more in the fight than Diana does. You want the extra DPS, repositioning, and slight confusion you can get from W. You want the E AS steroid and attack reset because that will help your Q come off cooldown faster.

If Wukong can be your second guy in the fight you're in a really strong position I think. If you're starting the fight with him, he's definitely easy to CC off and prevent you from getting the double tap on your ultimate. It's not that Wukong CAN'T initiate, but if I was making a tierlist of initiators for the jungle I think he's probably B/C.

Also I've won five ranked in a row (14-6 in my last 20) and I'm currently at B1 71 LP so I'm nervous I'm due for a 1-3 set and will lose most of my LP. Really really trying to just be cool about it, they're just random internet points, who cares, you get there eventually, blah blah. It's just a little more nerve wracking when you're still in a scenario where your gains can be wiped out really quickly.

ChaosHat on
    Oh shit I just gained 15 LP. Is my nightmare over? Also my last two ranked games were against teams that were basically all silver except for me. Hmmm.

The enemy team banned Diana and Nocturne so like a drunk little league dad I said "Wukong get in there and win this game" and he said "But Hat you've only played me in like three normals and you lost all of them maybe you should do Vi or Amu-" to which I replied "BATTER UP!"

I'm pretty sure it was my 1/0/3 stat line that won this game. It wasn't the fact that the opposing jungler was a Teemo which means his decision making is terrible. It definitely wasn't the Yasuo who was 8/2/1 at 19 minutes. Don't even bring up the 10/0/3 Jhin. All monkey power.

One of the most invaluable skills in ranked is knowing when and how to let yourself get carried.

Nothing worse than winning lane hard only for your top bruiser to play suicidal because being on weak side put him on tilt.

• pyromaniac221pyromaniac221 this just might be an interestin YTRegistered User regular
    Might transition from permabanning tryndamere to permabanning lux

psn tooaware, friend code SW-4760-0062-3248 it me

One of the most invaluable skills in ranked is knowing when and how to let yourself get carried.

Nothing worse than winning lane hard only for your top bruiser to play suicidal because being on weak side put him on tilt.

Oh I'm very aware. People have no idea how to play from behind. I think there's a lot of mentality of "you gotta carry every game or else" which, to be fair is how I go into every game. But if you have a shit start then you need to be able to pivot to "I need to do as well as I can without feeding to try to be relevant later and allow my teammates to do something." Also your opponent will make mistakes. You don't need to force anything. At most elos they will give you opportunities to get back in the game.
    Might transition from permabanning tryndamere to permabanning lux

I'd be interested to see what everybody would ban if they could control all the bans. In bronze jungle I would probably do:

Master Yi (ban every game as is)
    Warwick (I am bad vs Warwick)
    Lux
    Pyke
    Blitz

Most of those are ones that just murder bot lanes and then I'm sad. I could also see sylas as a fifth pick because I swear he goes off every single game. I think people underestimate his sustain at low hp.

edited April 2022
    Oh I'm very aware. People have no idea how to play from behind. I think there's a lot of mentality of "you gotta carry every game or else" which, to be fair is how I go into every game. But if you have a shit start then you need to be able to pivot to "I need to do as well as I can without feeding to try to be relevant later and allow my teammates to do something." Also your opponent will make mistakes. You don't need to force anything. At most elos they will give you opportunities to get back in the game.

Totally won a game a couple of nights ago that I was trying to surrender because I was frustrated and tilted (it was normals and in a 5-stack and 2 inhibitors down, so it was fine), but our ADC was adamant that we not and that he could carry. We just sent everyone to peel for him in fights (we may have had tank Karma mid and a Morde to help) and he murdered everyone and it was pretty great. Enemy team was so salty afterward.
    I'd be interested to see what everybody would ban if they could control all the bans.

Do I have an old timer story for you...

More seriously, in the olden times before we had 5 bans per team (edit: we had 3 for each team, and you'd alternate) this is how it worked. First pick (supposedly determined by top MMR in the lobby) would get to choose all the bans. Also role selection wasn't a thing so you had to respect pick order for who was playing what. There's a reason I became a support main for a couple of seasons very early on.

Ivellius on
    Me elsewhere:
    Ivellius wrote: »

Totally won a game a couple of nights ago that I was trying to surrender because I was frustrated and tilted (it was normals and in a 5-stack and 2 inhibitors down, so it was fine), but our ADC was adamant that we not and that he could carry. We just sent everyone to peel for him in fights (we may have had tank Karma mid and a Morde to help) and he murdered everyone and it was pretty great. Enemy team was so salty afterward.
    I'd be interested to see what everybody would ban if they could control all the bans.

Do I have an old timer story for you...

More seriously, in the olden times before we had 5 bans per team this is how it worked. First pick (supposedly determined by top MMR in the lobby) would get to choose all the bans. Also role selection wasn't a thing so you had to respect pick order for who was playing what. There's a reason I became a support main for a couple of seasons very early on.

Man I remember bans being picked in order too, instead of the current "blind ban." You would use their bans to try to figure out what they wanted to pick. I don't remember anyone actually selecting all bans. That would probably be a nightmare in modern league.

• credeikicredeiki Registered User regular

ooh interesting question

I think right now if I'm playing botlane what I would ban is

Tryndamere -- fuck splitpushers
    Garen -- also
    Yorick -- similarly
    Samira -- ...I clearly cannot correctly judge the damage output here and play aggressively even in situations where she wins
    Kassadin(?) -- been seeing a resurgence in Kassadin play and I want neither the 0-10 My Team's Kassadin nor the unbeatable ticking timebomb of Their Team's Kassadin
    or maybe Irelia (?) -- unstoppable splitpush carry

If I'm playing midlane, I have a whole different set (because I want to play Lux)

Tryndamere still (I'm so mad at Tryndamere)
    Zed -- hard to play Lux into
    Yasuo -- likewise
    Xerath -- likewise, providing they actually know how to play Xerath and aren't just picking for the counterpick
    Fizz -- same as with Xerath

I'm not too worried about the hook supports or murder supports botlane. Not saying that I don't int into them on occasion, but I certainly know how not to, and a lot of the time I pick Leona as a counter, if I pick after them. (done picking Morgana because I can't land the Q in lane and it just gets embarrassing).

I kind of get the Lux bans you guys talk about but I kind of don't. She's very easy to shut down (but then again, she's very easy to play and pretty easy to play well, so maybe that is the problem--she outputs more damage than similar carries because her stuff is just easier to land, at our skill level).

Steam, LoL: credeiki
  • LoserForHireXLoserForHireX Philosopher King The AcademyRegistered User regular
    If I had all 5 bans

Yasuo (I ban him every game anyway, I hate him with the fire of a thousand sons yes I know he isn't the strongest it's not about that)
    Yone (the actual stronger of the two of them)
    Yuumi (fuck it, just everyone with a Y name, also I never want to have a Yuumi on my team and I for sure don't want an enemy unkillable heal and damage bot)
    Yorick (everyone with a Y name means everyone. also hullbreaker fucking sucks and I even hate winning the game with my yorick just split pushing forever and taking down the nexus)
    Garen (why can he do a billion damage even when he has nothing? how is it that he is unkillable and just runs away shedding all the movement effects on himself? i don't want the answers, i just want him gone)

"The only way to get rid of a temptation is to give into it." - Oscar Wilde
    "We believe in the people and their 'wisdom' as if there was some special secret entrance to knowledge that barred to anyone who had ever learned anything." - Friedrich Nietzsche
    Oh, I didn't answer on the bans part. I was going to type my stuff out but Loser is almost convincing me...

Nah, anyway:
    • Tryndamere, probably--he's game-warping and popular enough that this seems logical. I lost a Clash game in which we were ahead because we just could not deal with that split pressure, and as a jungler it's almost impossible to be the one to counter (from both a budget and a "if I'm matching him we will lose objectives" perspective).
    • Akshan - I do not win games against Akshan. Seriously, I was something like 3-17 last season against that champ. I thought I was going to go the whole year without playing against one, but I finally had to last Clash weekend (but thankfully we won but also no he's not getting through).
    • Yasuo probably, for always times' sake.
    • Yone is the same champion but now I'm having to waste two bans on him. Oh well. You'll never convince me against the idea that part of his release was to free up Yasuo from some of the bans.
    • Pyke. Like a combination of Shaco and Blitzcrank...

Me elsewhere:
  • pyromaniac221pyromaniac221 this just might be an interestin YTRegistered User regular
    The reason I'm thinking of permabanning Lux is because she's insanely oppressive to lane against as an ADC. Her E is not dodgeable unless the player is bad, you're entirely reliant on your support to keep you in the game and having to rely on your teammates is always a losing proposition, and even if you make it out of lane, she can reliably 100% you in the mid/late game even if she has zero damage items because her base values are insanely high). I also get the Yasuo effect with Lux, which is to say that every Lux on my team acts like they have never touched the champion before and picks her on autofill because she's the main character of League of Legends for some reason.

• RozRoz Boss of InternetRegistered User regular
    Y'all are crazy not having shaco as your #1 Perma ban

Roz wrote: »
    Y'all are crazy not having shaco as your #1 Perma ban

He's not worth banning, especially at bronze ELO. Shaco is a really difficult champion to actually play well so if they were capable they wouldn't be in bronze.

The only ban I would make for me is Warwick. The rest of the bans are for the champs I'm afraid my team will just int into continuously with some consideration for how likely they are to be picked. So mostly stopping bot murder supports.

• PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    edited April 2022
    Honestly I feel like it's time to re-learn Lux, it's been ages and would probably be a decent thing to have in my pocket. Would give me a chance to actually use this Prestige Battle Academia Lux 2022 skin... <_<

So my support stable is something like:
    Senna for usual YEE HAW times.
    Nami if I think my Bot is going to be Lucian.
    Leona if I think my team is competent and will actually take advantage of my all-ins.
    Janna if (see above re: competent team) and I want to try to save them from the enemy's all-in.
    Lux would be a nice choice for "the rest of your team is physical damage and hopefully the enemy team doesn't buy Thornmail" times.

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
    edited April 2022
    My top laners in my past two games have combined for a scoreline of 0/16/0. I need to start dodging more.

edit: Four games in, I'm having one of those sessions that makes you wonder why anyone plays this role at all.

pyromaniac221 on
    edited April 2022
    My top laners in my past two games have combined for a scoreline of 0/16/0. I need to start dodging more.

I just went 1/7/1 top in Clash, AMA

Edit: Apparently that was the warm-up for 1/6 later and an 0/7/0 flex game

Ivellius on
    Me elsewhere:
    surprised lfx's banlist isn't just x5 Yasuo

I'm also thinking, my banlist is really arrogant, in that it suggests that I personally don't have much in the way of bad matchups and it is my team that sucks! Which--sort of true while I'm climbing and largely playing with people worse than me but also, come on, me, let's not pretend I don't ever lose lane
    PMAvers wrote: »
    Honestly I feel like it's time to re-learn Lux, it's been ages and would probably be a decent thing to have in my pocket. Would give me a chance to actually use this Prestige Battle Academia Lux 2022 skin... <_<

So my support stable is something like:
    Senna for usual YEE HAW times.
    Nami if I think my Bot is going to be Lucian.
    Leona if I think my team is competent and will actually take advantage of my all-ins.
    Janna if (see above re: competent team) and I want to try to save them from the enemy's all-in.
    Lux would be a nice choice for "the rest of your team is physical damage and hopefully the enemy team doesn't buy Thornmail" times.

Lux is a great choice for this

coincidentally my support stable is:

Leona when I think my adc will be aggressive with me
    Senna as a safe filler pick
    Zyra if we have little magic damage and a frontline and I won’t get hooked in lane
    Lux if we have little magic damage and want a pick initiate, or if we have Ezreal-type poke lane
    Nami if the rest of my team has enough damage and we’re missing the big teamfight engage
    Karma if my lane requires me to provide all presence e.g Vayne or something, and I don’t trust the rest of my team (I also have…a very low winrate on karma, because she’s my vote of no confidence pick)

so quite similar to you! Except I have no choice targeted at protecting the adc lel. I do peel on the champions I play, I just won’t play a Lulu or Janna or Braum.

I feel like if I'm gonna start banning support mages Brand and Swain are way higher up than the lady that has to auto attack me to poke properly.

• LoserForHireXLoserForHireX Philosopher King The AcademyRegistered User regular
    I feel like if I'm gonna start banning support mages Brand and Swain are way higher up than the lady that has to auto attack me to poke properly.

Brand is probably a better pick than Lux and does more, but he legit feels less oppressive and it feels much easier to dodge his shit.

He also doesn't have the thing where he is a mile and a half away from you just lobbing huge bombs never running out of mana.

"The only way to get rid of a temptation is to give into it." - Oscar Wilde
    "We believe in the people and their 'wisdom' as if there was some special secret entrance to knowledge that barred to anyone who had ever learned anything." - Friedrich Nietzsche
    edited April 2022
    Hullbreaker is extremely bad for this game. I do not know why they have not removed it.

e: I have played 3 games today. In the first 15 minutes of these games, my top laners have combined for a scoreline of 1/21/1.

pyromaniac221 on
    edited April 2022
    You know sometimes you have a bad or mediocre game and you just mentally buckle down and say I'm gonna get it together and I'm gonna kick ass this next one.

And then you do it, and it feels so good. The Ivern's team does a level 1 invade on your red? That's fine I can out farm him and bully him in his own jungle. And you do that, and you get off some ganks, and you're 2/0/1 at 12 minutes with a 75% kp and you have a 20 CS lead on the Ivern who dared to come at you in the first place.

Meanwhile your bot lane is 0/20 before 20 minutes and you have to surrender. THAT'S LEAGUE FOR YOU.

Just...sigh, deep breath. All about working on my game and what I can control, improve my shit and the results will come, blah blah blah.

Edit: oh also the bot APC Vladimir finished his Mejai's when he was 0/8 so...I guess good mental game buddy. You're gonna turn it around.

ChaosHat on
    Hullbreaker is extremely bad for this game. I do not know why they have not removed it.

e: I have played 3 games today. In the first 15 minutes of these games, my top laners have combined for a scoreline of 1/21/1.

I dunno it’s pretty fun to play weak side tank Lilia vs hull breaker sett and jungle Diana.

Only half the ganks work, I’m too immortal and have too much wave clear for his hull breaker to get him anything.

By the time mid game comes around they have one tower to show for it and we’ve dumped every other lane.

You know sometimes you have a bad or mediocre game and you just mentally buckle down and say I'm gonna get it together and I'm gonna kick ass this next one.

And then you do it, and it feels so good. The Ivern's team does a level 1 invade on your red? That's fine I can out farm him and bully him in his own jungle. And you do that, and you get off some ganks, and you're 2/0/1 at 12 minutes with a 75% kp and you have a 20 CS lead on the Ivern who dared to come at you in the first place.

Meanwhile your bot lane is 0/20 before 20 minutes and you have to surrender. THAT'S LEAGUE FOR YOU.

Just...sigh, deep breath. All about working on my game and what I can control, improve my shit and the results will come, blah blah blah.

Edit: oh also the bot APC Vladimir finished his Mejai's when he was 0/8 so...I guess good mental game buddy. You're gonna turn it around.

have you considered the tactical lobby dodge?

Depending on how much you want to trust your gut here, you might be able to just be able to tell that your team is going to lose (because of your bot vlad)(or because someone is already loudly tilting) and if you are worried about loss of mmr, it can be worth it to just leave the lobby.

I think it’s something like first dodge is 5(3?) LP penalty and 5 minute timeout, second dodge within 20(?) hours is a 15 LP penalty and a 30 min timeout

credeiki wrote: »

Depending on how much you want to trust your gut here, you might be able to just be able to tell that your team is going to lose (because of your bot vlad)(or because someone is already loudly tilting) and if you are worried about loss of mmr, it can be worth it to just leave the lobby.

I think it’s something like first dodge is 5(3?) LP penalty and 5 minute timeout, second dodge within 20(?) hours is a 15 LP penalty and a 30 min timeout

I have considered this often actually. Part of it is that I'm definitely losing LP for free so maybe I'd rather play it out. Also lots of dumb shit works at this ELO, and much higher, so why am I gonna crush someone's dreams because they want to play off meta? 100% I'd rather someone play something off meta they're very comfortable with than play something meta they have no experience doing.

I guess I should be combining this with the use of Porofessor to see what their track record is like with these picks though.

credeiki wrote: »

I have considered this often actually. Part of it is that I'm definitely losing LP for free so maybe I'd rather play it out. Also lots of dumb shit works at this ELO, and much higher, so why am I gonna crush someone's dreams because they want to play off meta? 100% I'd rather someone play something off meta they're very comfortable with than play something meta they have no experience doing.

I guess I should be combining this with the use of Porofessor to see what their track record is like with these picks though.

yeah, it comes up a lot for me in botlane because someone’s offmeta support pick can really tank my enjoyment of the game, never mind my winrate

but if I look on op.gg and yes fine they’ve actually played 50 games of Rengar support this season with a 51% winrate, then ok, I guess I’ll play it out

I don’t dodge unless something really suspect and also unexplainable occurs.

Shaco support is like the ur example because it’s both a suspect pick and I don’t think it’s justified ever.

• The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    Huh. I've heard from multiple sources that shaco support is one of the best off-meta picks of the season

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
    Eh I basically never trust it.

It's awkward to play around and doesn't do much in team fights unless the Shaco's ahead.

edited April 2022
    So it looks like I should be able to get my cool Diana prize from the mythic essence store. I need 390 more tokens, I'll do another 250 token weekly quest thingy when that pops, and in the process of doing that I should get another 50. So just 90 extra tokens should be pretty doable right? I feel like it's roughly a game and a half on average to complete the repeatable?

Definitely in a bit of a slump right now. 3-7 in my last 10, and 50% wr in my last 20, so it's just totally gone upside down. Still managing to barely hang onto bronze 1 so far. Just a matter of grinding through it. Like this shit happens, gotta keep my head down and getting better. Focus, blah blah.

ChaosHat on
    Huh. I've heard from multiple sources that shaco support is one of the best off-meta picks of the season

depends what you're trying to achieve as support. Impactful roams, deep wards, gank setup (box behind adc): yes. Peel for your adc: nope. Consistent poke: nope.

also, in order to play it, you need to be 1. good at Shaco 2. good at support, and the number of people who are both these things is not so large. I often see Shaco supports who decide they're a second, shittier jungler, or who do things like go take over top lane, evicting their toplaner and fucking over everything in the process (fine shaco mechanics, garbage support), or support players who don't really get what to do and drop a couple boxes in the bushes and then throw a knife once in a while (fine support skills, bad shaco mechanics).

Most times one would just rather have a support that does something else. That said, it's a common enough pick that I don't assume my support is trolling if they pick Shaco.

edited April 2022
    Hey everyone I have an itemization question: should I be building void staff on Diana if they aren't building MR? Does void staff just counteract their mr, or if they have no mr and I have void staff now they're turbo fucked?

If it matters I'm basically always building rocket belt into zhonyas first.

ChaosHat on
    I think I just played with someone letting their little sibling use their account, but for a ranked game? That was very bizarre.

• Moridin889Moridin889 Registered User regular
    Hey everyone I have an itemization question: should I be building void staff on Diana if they aren't building MR? Does void staff just counteract their mr, or if they have no mr and I have void staff now they're turbo fucked?

If their team is likely to build MR it's good. If you can afford it, deathcap is probably almost always better. Voidstaff devalues their natural MR and makes their defensive buys less efficient but if they are a bunch of squishy assassin types anyways won't matter much.

And on the subject of Shaco support. No. Just no. He's only good if the enemy team is all thoughtless aggression. Which it's soloqueue so might be the case. But he can't teamfight and provides no protection for the adc.

The enemy team picking shaco support is one of the few times in the current game state where I feel like I have agency as an ADC. I love it and wish they would do it every single game.

Because it's % pen, no, not really (unless they have a bunch from passives and shards and such). Shadowflame is better if they have basically none.

Me elsewhere:
    Moridin889 wrote: »

If their team is likely to build MR it's good. If you can afford it, deathcap is probably almost always better. Voidstaff devalues their natural MR and makes their defensive buys less efficient but if they are a bunch of squishy assassin types anyways won't matter much.

And on the subject of Shaco support. No. Just no. He's only good if the enemy team is all thoughtless aggression. Which it's soloqueue so might be the case. But he can't teamfight and provides no protection for the adc.

Hmm. Okay good to know. So if I build something like Shadowflame that's probably pretty sufficient with Rocketbelt and Sorc Boots unless they're really stacking MR?

I think the game overall could do a better job of explaining how all of these work. I have more magic resist. Great, how much less am I actually taking? I also think the game could show you in the shop some kind of realtime update of "hey with this item your Q will do X more damage per hit against this champ" or give you a dps number. Like I don't wanna look at everyone's shit and do math during a back. Also lethality is a terribly named stat. It makes you...more lethal. Cool I guess.