As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Penny Arcade - Comic - Playlate, Part One

DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin

Playlate, Part One!

Penny Arcade - Comic - Playlate, Part One

Videogaming-related online strip by Mike Krahulik and Jerry Holkins. Includes news and commentary.

Read the full story here

• zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    Is playdate some kind of new tech centric real doll. I’m scared to google on my work computer.

• TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    zepherin wrote: »
    Is playdate some kind of new tech centric real doll. I’m scared to google on my work computer.

It's a tiny little handheld with a black and white screen and a crank controller. I don't personally see the appeal because I'm an impossibly square cranky old man but a lot of folks are very excited.

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2022/04/review-playdate-earns-its-179-price-tag-with-cute-design-memorable-games/

steam_sig.png
  • H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited April 2022
    It's a new 'indie-focused' handheld console that's got a handcrank as one of its controls. It might well turn out to be really good, but what I saw on a quick glance was giving me major Ouya vibes.

Playdate. Little. Yellow. Different.

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    zepherin wrote: »

It's a tiny little handheld with a black and white screen and a crank controller. I don't personally see the appeal because I'm an impossibly square cranky old man but a lot of folks are very excited.

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2022/04/review-playdate-earns-its-179-price-tag-with-cute-design-memorable-games/
    That’s a cute little handheld. I won’t be getting one but I see the appeal.

• dennisdennis aka bingley Registered User regular
    edited April 2022
    It's reportedly good, if hobby stuff like that is your jam. At $179 plus $15 shipping/tax, it's not a trivial purchase for a lot of folks. It looks like this:
    7j8pi3pnpsss.png
    (from the Ars Technica link above)

So an unlit (but very sharp) black and LCD and a novel crank input, which of course plenty of games will try to figure out a way to use.

But that's not something that... turns your crank oh god I'm sorry... Okay, yeah. If you see this and already know you want it, then it's for you. If you don't immediately, it's probably not. I'm in the not category but respect them for doing fun stuff for people who like it.

dennis on
  • H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited April 2022
    $179 seems pretty steep for that, though? Does that include some games?

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    It includes all the games.

edited April 2022
    To be clear, though, you don't get all the games at once. From their webpage:
    The Season.

Here's the truly unique bit. Playdate isn't just an empty system. Once you set up your Playdate, you'll start to receive two brand new games... every week. For 12 weeks.

That's 24 free games, in lots of genres. Some are short. Some are long. Will you love them all? Probably not. Will you have a great time trying them? Absolutely.

dennis on
  • YoungFreyYoungFrey Registered User regular
    edited April 2022
    dennis wrote: »
    The Season.

Here's the truly unique bit. Playdate isn't just an empty system. Once you set up your Playdate, you'll start to receive two brand new games... every week. For 12 weeks.

That's 24 free games, in lots of genres. Some are short. Some are long. Will you love them all? Probably not. Will you have a great time trying them? Absolutely.

There are also 2 free SDKs that have been out for some time. One aimed at experienced devs and a browser based one for others. So there is likely some number of other free games at some point. But I don't think they have said anything about those getting on the handheld.

YoungFrey on
  • el_vicioel_vicio Registered User regular
    So where is Ronia's youtube channel containing powerpoint tutorials, because I feel terribly inadequate

ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    Saw a picture of it first and I was kind of expecting the crank to be used to power the batteries. o_o

“I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
    It includes all the games.
    The Season.

Okay, then the price isn't bonkers.

camo_sig2-400.png
  • RatherDashing89RatherDashing89 Registered User regular
    Yeah I really would have expected the crank to be a power source. Sort of like that $100 laptop that everyone made a huge deal out of and never seemed to go anywhere...

• YoungFreyYoungFrey Registered User regular
    Yeah I really would have expected the crank to be a power source. Sort of like that $100 laptop that everyone made a huge deal out of and never seemed to go anywhere...

I read in a review of the system that for power generation, a tiny crank is not going to cut it. You'd need some chunky pedal thing. Because of physics.

YoungFrey wrote: »

I read in a review of the system that for power generation, a tiny crank is not going to cut it. You'd need some chunky pedal thing. Because of physics.

Turning the crank would restore charge to a battery or capacitor which would then power the device. Hand crank USB chargers are a thing. A safety yellow device with a crank just screams "this crank can be used to power the batteries."

Turning the crank would restore charge to a battery or capacitor which would then power the device. Hand crank USB chargers are a thing. A safety yellow device with a crank just screams "this crank can be used to power the batteries."

umvjzxlk0yyu.png

edited April 2022

umvjzxlk0yyu.png

I mean, I guess if the context of "device" here wasn't electronic devices because we're not talking about fishing rods, sure?

edit: intent

tastydonuts on
  • RatherDashing89RatherDashing89 Registered User regular

I mean, I guess if the context of "device" here wasn't electronic devices because we're not talking about fishing rods, sure?

s-l500.jpg

s-l500.jpg

While that is indeed an electronic device with a crank that does not power or charge a battery, it is not a safety yellow lookingelectronic device with a crank! >_>

I shall end this by simply posting a photo of a safety yellow looking electronic device with a crank that doesn't power it or charge a battery:

9wc4x9ij1r9s.png

I was just being a jokey jokester. No serious point intended.

edited April 2022
    The internet is a serious place with only serious replies!

but yeah, I thought I down-toned my response enough. sorry! :V

tastydonuts on
  • Man in the MistsMan in the Mists Registered User regular
    You know, if Gabe fucks with the Playdate he could claim that it was an act of revenge.

• Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    There's no "if" involved, not with this setup. Gabe is 100% going to fuck with it.

• LtPowersLtPowers Registered User regular
    Is that... is that Ronia's own selfie in that slide? Because she certainly looks old enough to consume content by herself.

Here I was thinking she was still, like... 8.

Powers &8^]

• CrimeRobotCrimeRobot Registered User regular
    You know, if Gabe fucks with the Playdate he could claim that it was an act of revenge.

Thankfully, of course, Tycho was wise enough to keep that purely a joke:
    The comic is literally just the conversation we had, but you should know that I would never do that. It would not be parsed as humor. It would prick him in the dark, violent mist before thought and when he regained volition I would already be dead.

"We programmed him to think only of crime!" - Enrico Matassa
  • Emperor MegamanEmperor Megaman Registered User regular
    Oh, I think I remember seeing this in a article about indie video games consoles projects a long while ago (when it was a project I guess). I had no idea/had forgotten it was now a existing thing, or what it's name was.
    I'm curious to see what games there will be on it.