As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Maybe the real [Heroes of the Storm] were the friends we made along the way

• MMMigMMMig Registered User regular
    milk ducks wrote: »
    Furnace can be the right pick occasionally.

Welp. Nice knowing ya.

l4lGvOw.png
    Witty signature comment goes here...

wra
  • MrBodyMrBody Registered User regular
    I struggle to think of the situation where that would be the case.

The very tricky to land damage of Furnace vs the extra damage you (not to mention your team) will be able to apply with an easier to land Lamb?

To say nothing of how infinitely more useful the lvl 20 upgrade to Lamb is.

• The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    wouldn't it take like five minutes of practice to always reliably land furnace on someone you've onslaughted

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
    And along a similar vein, going back to Valeera...

I can't think when you'd ever want to use Ambush over her stun+blind or silence. The silence ends up doing more total damage by itself and prevents escapes. The stun similarly so. The silence/blind takes them out of the fight better if you can't insta-kill them.

Can't think of an instance where the -10 armor would end up being more damage than all the extra hits the stun or silence would allow you to land. If the rest of your team was about to land a bunch of nukes the exact instant you use Ambush and the extra 10% would make the difference in an instant kill???

• The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    CC Is Good, yes

if I had to guess the armor shred could be useful if your team is trying to kill a low-mobility tank? but generally speaking choosing CC is the way to go

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • WhelkWhelk Registered User regular
    Furnace is THE pick for Butch. It does damage. Damage is the only thing that kills people.

Don't @ me.

Speaking of gods...

Goblin not only protec, he also attak
    2tewzmdzqke9.jpg

AKA: SURE VARIAN I WILL AA YOU WHY TANK YOU

l4lGvOw.png

wra
    Whelk wrote: »
    Furnace is THE pick for Butch. It does damage. Damage is the only thing that kills people.

Don't @ me.

Why attack heroes? Attack the core. Killing the core is the only thing that wins games.

edited April 2022
    CC Is Good, yes

if I had to guess the armor shred could be useful if your team is trying to kill a low-mobility tank? but generally speaking choosing CC is the way to go

I suppose. But with the added condition that the tank also not have an ability that's going to save them, or at least mitigate more damage than the 10% armor debuff.

Or I suppose the instance when the target is already CC'd and has a bunch of team damage incoming.

But then you take into account that the blind/silence talents make Ambush inferior in even that circumstance, and that circumstance isn't often enough to devote talents into an Ambush build.

MrBody on
    Actually wait... furnace helps you clear camps faster, especially knight camps.

and at 20, furnace makes it go even faster! You could solo clear a camp in like 1 minute!

Yup... I'm convinced.

l4lGvOw.png

wra
    So as dumb as I felt thinking about this earlier...

You want butcher in.. say.. 5 out of 100 games, ya? That's being generous, too.

From that, in any butcher game you'll want furnace maybe 1 out of 15 times? Also a little generous imo.

That means you'll want to see furnace in 0.33% of your games? That's all speculation but frankly... sounds about right.

l4lGvOw.png

wra
    This guy in AI went AFK mid-lane and kept disconnecting and coming back, on purpose.

Because Li Li wouldn't heal him.
    (she's been healing a ton)

he then went on a long tirade trying to justify why he's going afk, and to carry him
    THIS IS AI

oh my...

l4lGvOw.png

wra
    edited April 2022
    I don't want butcher in any of my games, friend or foe

The Escape Goat on
    9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    Guy in draft went super toxic and then even moreso in game because "Lili is just for stats you can't heal with her"

Shockingly enough, he spent the whole game throwing himself into 1vbunches and getting deleted.

Oh well. His day to day life is probably revenge enough for me.

vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
    Honestly there are times it might be worth it, if you're wading into a troupe of melee or if you're good at the timing to take down a squishy in a couple seconds. I just can never rely on my team to get picks, so the pick-taking ult is better.

The level 20 upgrade for Furnace also kinda sucks. I think having him Q every target, a weighty slow or even a DOT would be more fun.

• milk ducksmilk ducks High Mucky Muck Big Tits TownRegistered User regular
    edited April 2022
    I'm not implying that Furnace is strictly better than Lamb; but it is occasionally a better pickup at 10 (unlike, for example, Tormented Souls, which should genuinely, very sincerely, never be chosen in its current state).

milk ducks on
  • SmrtnikSmrtnik job boli zub Registered User regular
    MrBody wrote: »
    I struggle to think of the situation where that would be the case.

Fan B2GM.

Check. Mate.

steam_sig.png
    I'm not implying that Furnace is strictly better than Lamb; but it is occasionally a better pickup at 10 (unlike, for example, Tormented Souls, which should genuinely, very sincerely, never be chosen in its current state).

I think most of these times are like when you pick something because it will help immediately, and the hope is that it helps you snowball. I can see Furnace winning a teamfight if you're up 10-9 or something like that and trying to keep the lead.

edited April 2022
    If the enemy team is melee-heavy, the value of being able to charge in and isolate someone with Lamb is diminished, because they're all just going to collapse on you. In that situation, you might get more value from being able to Furnace Blast multiple heroes reliably.

Lamb might be able to Silence a team like that later on, but you'd have to first make it to 20, and then wait for the God Lamb opportunity, and then also hope that they're not AA-focused because AA melee don't give a shit about Silence.

Also, if the other team can reliably Blind your engage, Furnace is usually better.

Say you're up against a Mei -- Butcher charges in, eats the Snowball Blind the instant he connects and tosses Lamb. He has no follow-up. Then she tosses a Blizzard to force him out of position, so he can't even wait the Blind out; he has to move away from his Lamb target or get Frozen.

And failing that, she could then just boop him away with Ice Skate.

Maybe he gets to 20 and AoE Lamb is a threat; she just plays outside of her team a little and does the exact same thing to shut down his initiation. And there's always an Avalanche or Ice Wall in the back pocket to force a disengage if he catches her without her other cooldowns.

And that's just like, one character Butcher might be up against. There are any number of Heroes that can hard peel him / mitigate when he engages with Lamb.

Sometimes, Furnace is just easier and more reliable.

milk ducks on
  • MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    If the enemy team is melee-heavy, the value of being able to charge in and isolate someone with Lamb is diminished, because they're all just going to collapse on you. In that situation, you might get more value from being able to Furnace Blast multiple heroes reliably.

Lamb might be able to Silence a team like that later on, but you'd have to first make it to 20, and then wait for the God Lamb opportunity, and then also hope that they're not AA-focused because AA melee don't give a shit about Silence.

Also, if the other team can reliably Blind your engage, Furnace is usually better.

Say you're up against a Mei -- Butcher charges in, eats the Snowball Blind the instant he connects and tosses Lamb. He has no follow-up. Then she tosses a Blizzard to force him out of position, so he can't even wait the Blind out; he has to move away from his Lamb target or get Frozen.

And failing that, she could then just boop him away with Ice Skate.

Maybe he gets to 20 and AoE Lamb is a threat; she just plays outside of her team a little and does the exact same thing to shut down his initiation. And there's always an Avalanche or Ice Wall in the back pocket to force a disengage if he catches her without her other cooldowns.

And that's just like, one character Butcher might be up against. There are any number of Heroes that can hard peel him / mitigate when he engages with Lamb.

Sometimes, Furnace is just easier and more reliable.

This is good advice, but it should be noted that it doesn't apply to QM or any rank under Platinum.

I mean, imagine a Mei holding abilities. :)

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
    https://youtube.com/shorts/-IpY7tmNnHY

Can we talk about how Jo survived?

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • SeGaTaiSeGaTai Registered User regular
    Jo dies if hanzo arrows as soon as her unstoppable ends, think it keeps her out of anduin pull range - instead he holds and arrows the DK??? - NA arrow confirmed

PSN SeGaTai
    Speaking of Butcher Furnace...

https://youtu.be/PJUPV6LxtrM

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    SeGaTai wrote: »
    Jo dies if hanzo arrows as soon as her unstoppable ends, think it keeps her out of anduin pull range - instead he holds and arrows the DK??? - NA arrow confirmed

ehhhhh

Like be honest, if you were in a game and you saw a Stitches Gorge someone and then get punted all the way back to your Core, behind a Keep and fully intact Keep Wall, you'd be pretty confident that person is DEAD. Ulting them seems like overkill in the moment. Now obviously in retrospect we can reason away why the ult was the best move (Jo still had unstoppable, Anduin was able to pull, etc). But a lot of people would make that mistake I think.

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
    It's Jo... frankly that's not that surprising. Stitches faced down for some reason which gave her an extra second, that's a lot.

Jo didn't even have an ult to escape. If she did, it would've been even easier.

BW never polied her after her shield ran out. There was literally no CC follow up.

I wouldn't have wasted hanzo arrow. Poly and stitches pointing up would have been enough.

l4lGvOw.png

wra
  • SeGaTaiSeGaTai Registered User regular
    No I don't think I burn arrow there either, it was the easiest thing to point to of just the team not actually trying to kill her - so the escape isn't that impressive/unexpected. And others pointing out other cc not really being used.

I mean when I see stitches walk up and gorge that Jo - I'm typing gg in chat and yoloing top lane

PSN SeGaTai
    I'd say stitches 100% screwed that up.

If he had been facing up, he could have body blocked her some. Even with unstoppable she can't walk through heroes.

Still no guarantee, though. Jo is a ton of fun BECAUSE she's the unkillable tank.

l4lGvOw.png

wra
  • fortyforty Registered User regular
    MMMig wrote: »
    It's Jo... frankly that's not that surprising. Stitches faced down for some reason which gave her an extra second, that's a lot.

Jo didn't even have an ult to escape. If she did, it would've been even easier.

BW never polied her after her shield ran out. There was literally no CC follow up.

I wouldn't have wasted hanzo arrow. Poly and stitches pointing up would have been enough.
    Brightwing did Poly, by the way.

Well this was unbelievably hilarious.
    waqth7cfrcz7.jpg
    kycug9pi3lwt.jpg
    aniy79c6mng2.jpg

l4lGvOw.png

wra
    Two Muradins short of the perfect team.

edited April 2022
    They won, right? There's no shot that a team with that much beef and the potential for infinite stuns loses. Waveclear isn't even an issue, since it's ARAM.

milk ducks on
    edited April 2022
    They won, right? There's no shot that a team with that much beef and the potential for infinite stuns loses. Waveclear isn't even an issue, since it's ARAM.

The true Muradin won.

Thunder burn
    Stoneform
    Healing static (which benefits from both thunder burn and Avatar)
    And rewind for even more stupidity

Gotta admit, it was a little warm and uncomfortably moist being surrounded and pounded on by 4 big hairy dudes.

MMMig on
    l4lGvOw.png

wra

The true Muradin won.

Thunder burn
    Stoneform

Gotta admit, it was a little warm and uncomfortably moist being surrounded and pounded on by 3 big harry dudes.
    Their team has 100% beard representation.

The true Muradin won.

Thunder burn
    Stoneform

Gotta admit, it was a little warm and uncomfortably moist being surrounded and pounded on by 4 big hairy dudes.

Long ago, the four Muradins lived together in harmony … then everything changed when they ARAM'd. Only the Avatar, master of all builds, could stop them, but when the world needed him most, he hearthed.

MrBody wrote: »

The true Muradin won.

Thunder burn
    Stoneform

Long ago, the four Muradins lived together in harmony … then everything changed when they ARAM'd. Only the Avatar, master of all builds, could stop them, but when the world needed him most, he hearthed.

I bet you that Mediv guy did this...

l4lGvOw.png

wra
  • DraevenDraeven Registered User regular
    i would like to apologize to anyone who has played late nights around 11cst, im usualy hammared and only play ARAM, needless to say im hammaerd

Morskitter wrote "Spikes, choppas, tentacles, magic? Can't hold a candle to Sergeant Pimp here."

• H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    So I dabbled a bit with this game quite a while back, but never really tried to learn anyone besides Raynor and Nazeebo. I'd kind of like to dip back in again, but with some different characters, is there any particular site that serves as a good resource for beginner's guides to characters? Icy Veins was what I remember people using when I played before, are they still recommended?

If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    H3Knuckles wrote: »
    So I dabbled a bit with this game quite a while back, but never really tried to learn anyone besides Raynor and Nazeebo. I'd kind of like to dip back in again, but with some different characters, is there any particular site that serves as a good resource for beginner's guides to characters? Icy Veins was what I remember people using when I played before, are they still recommended?

Icy Veins has a lot of good content. I'm not sure it's super up-to-date but to be frank it's not like the game has undergone massive changes in the past couple of years, so the bulk of the info is probably still good. Just keep in mind that specific talent/build evaluations may be off. But the overall hero descriptions and strategies are likely unchanged.

• A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    My best source of tips and guides, general and hero specific, is here. Not even joking. I don't do YouTube stuff generally and I can't stand twitch, so I've gotten a ton of help reading these threads and occasionally asking for help with certain heroes.

vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
    Icy Veins is good for getting ability and talent descriptions, but I wouldn't recommend their talent builds. Either go to a site like HeroesProfile or ask here. As for learning content, I'd recommend starting with NotParadox. Once you feel comfortable on how a hero's abilities and talents work, start watching Fan's YT or streams to see how a high-level player executes strategies with that hero. You'll learn a ton, but he won't always break down what or why he's doing something.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page