As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Board Games] Climbing out of our hovels to play in meatspace

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    I found out that they put promos for Space Base in Dead Reckoning.

I really don't want to buy dead reckoning just for promos. Especially given that the promo pack is going for really inflated prices online.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    CaptainPeacockCaptainPeacock Board Game Hoarder Top o' the LakeRegistered User regular
    Oh noes.

My Netrunner group is talking about getting tattoos of the links symbol.

oh yesss

Cluck cluck, gibber gibber, my old man's a mushroom, etc.
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Though I talk about it far more in the warhammer/aos thread. Warhammer Underworlds over the pandemic many of the people who would talk about the game or strategy of deck building or map placement and so on quit the game for various reasons. Most bemoaned how the computer game did not fill that need to play someone face to face. I try not to search for people online talking about these games because all too often you will run into the silly geese [racists/misogynist rather right wing] As I have been half ass looking for people talking about the current edition and the card packs but sighting the previous statement I am wary to click videos
    So oddly a video popped up talking about Masters of the universe battlegrounds on a channel I sometimes watch
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_gJ-tIrdm0A
    It's a skirmish game
    Which is different that Cmon's kickstarter backed one but it's on the same scale?
    just the odd thing was tons more videos popped up but seeing the various languages they were in I guess this for now is only in Europe?

• Options
    CptHamiltonCptHamilton Registered User regular
    Got to try out Project L last night. It's a pretty neat little abstract game that's really made by the component quality. It could technically be playable with flimsy paper puzzle cards and cardboard shape chits but the plastic bits fitting into the double-layer puzzle boards really helps it. I will say, though, that it's one of those games where you play once and feel like you probably need to play 2 or 3 more times to really have any idea how to win on purpose. There's a mixture of building your pool of pieces with simple puzzles and building points with harder puzzles, with a fairly tight action economy to divide between taking and solving puzzles.

PSN,Steam,Live | CptHamiltonian
  • Options
    JonBobJonBob Registered User regular
    The base game is especially tough in that regard because it's really hard to gauge how long the game will be, and it's group-dependent in that regard. I think the Finesse expansion actually eases the learning in that regard, because planning is simpler when you know you have exactly 10 turns to make something happen.

jswidget.php?username=JonBob&numitems=10&header=1&text=none&images=small&show=recentplays&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
  • Options
    JonBob wrote: »
    The base game is especially tough in that regard because it's really hard to gauge how long the game will be, and it's group-dependent in that regard. I think the Finesse expansion actually eases the learning in that regard, because planning is simpler when you know you have exactly 10 turns to make something happen.

Yeah, I've got the finesse and ghost piece expansions but we only played the base. I think both the fixed turn length and the potential flexibility of banking actions via credit tokens would make it easier to do some longer-term planning.

• Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    I got a copy of the Sidereal Confluence remastered edition and I'm very excited to try it this weekend. I've been dreaming of playing this one.

The remaster is a huge aesthetic improvement, too, damn.

• Options
    JonBobJonBob Registered User regular
    Yeah, I've got the finesse and ghost piece expansions but we only played the base.
    If you have everything, there are plenty of puzzles for a 3-4 player game. We've been playing Finesse with the ten turn limit as the only game timer, and treating black puzzles as unlimited. It is simpler to set up than counting out the puzzles, and more exciting at the end.

jswidget.php?username=JonBob&numitems=10&header=1&text=none&images=small&show=recentplays&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
  • Options
    KandenKanden Registered User regular
    edited April 2022
    Anyone have any opinions on tables? I keep eyeing the Jasper over at boardgametables, apparently Rathskellers is gonna spin up another kickstarter next month, so I'll definitely wait to see what they have on offer then. Just curious if anyone has any experience/opinions with one of them fancy boardgame tables

Kanden on
  • Options
    ChaosHatChaosHat Hop, hop, hop, HA! Trick of the lightRegistered User regular
    edited April 2022
    Kanden wrote: »
    Anyone have an opinions on tables? I keep eyeing the Jasper over at boardgametables, apparently Rathskellers is gonna spin up another kickstarter next month, so I'll definitely wait to see what they have on offer then. Just curious if anyone has any experience/opinions with one of them fancy boardgame tables

I have one from boardgametables, it's a custom because I wanted a 3x6 playing area because some games (SW: Armada) require that much and I wasn't going to get a game table and not be able to play all the games.

I really like the table for the most part. If it wasn't for Armada (and honestly with how much we play it NOW it's probably not that great) I would recommend a smaller size. You just generally don't need it. It's nice to have and you can sprawl out, which is nice, and on very rare occasions (for me, 99.99% of plays are with four or less people) you can fit more people around it.

I got the wing shelves which I really like for having a space to put things. They're also fantastic for when we play X-Wing because I just measure out 3 feet, put the wings on either side so we know what the play area is, and put our cards and such on the top of the wings. I would say this is the biggest pro to a big table because a lot of times you're going to want to put boxes, snacks, something, out of the way off the table. They're nice to differentiate things that are "in play" and things that you just have on hand as needed. I think the clip on shelves would do basically the same thing? You wouldn't be able to bisect the table which is something I do use (like in the X-Wing example).

Having said that, I would ALSO get the topper. I even have a dedicated game area in the basement, so this isn't doing double duty as a dinner table so that isn't a concern and that's why I didn't get one initially. Here are the three reasons why I would still want one.
    1. I usually play long term games with a buddy of mine, Arkham LCG for example. A lot of times I would just like to leave that mostly set up between sessions, or even set it up in advance when I have some free time so we can get to business when it's game time. Topper would help keep that more clean and tidy looking.
    2. When I have a more traditional game night, it would be nice to maybe say "screw the clean up" just put the topper on, and then play a second game on top. Then I would clean up everything later when guests are gone.
    3. It would be easier to clean. Now I have to basically vacuum the dust off this sucker periodically, as opposed to just dusting the topper with a swiffer or something.

Another thing I wish I had done was get the sucker bar height. When you're gaming for a while, sometimes I would really like to stand! Just to stretch or whatever. It's very trivial to get taller chairs and then you can do both! Honestly looking at the website they're not that expensive I might ask them to ship me some tall legs.

I got cupholders, I got the slide out double wides in the middle. I would get cupholders again, I think I would rather get slideouts on the sides than in the middle. Looking at the website now though, I think that might be a bit far from the center given how I have the 6ft play area. I don't have drawers, I think they'd be cool but they're not necessary. As I said this is in my basement and my Kallax is basically adjacent to it, and that has drawers so I don't really need them in the table.

I went with speed cloth and I don't see why anyone would go with velvet. As I said above, I do have to vacuum the sucker more than I probably would otherwise but a nice speedcloth surface was really what I had envisioned the entire time.

I know that was a bit of a book, so overall I'd give boardgametables a 10/10, any points I would really subtract are just from my inexperience buying the table. This was about five years ago and back then there were a lot less options and most of them were vastly more expensive. It's a great table for the price and I have no concerns about the durability long term. I have seen other tables at conventions and while they're pretty nice I don't think they're necessarily worth the premium. I mean if money was no concern yeah I'd probably get a wyrmwood.

ChaosHat on
  • Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    edited April 2022
    Kanden wrote: »
    Anyone have any opinions on tables? I keep eyeing the Jasper over at boardgametables, apparently Rathskellers is gonna spin up another kickstarter next month, so I'll definitely wait to see what they have on offer then. Just curious if anyone has any experience/opinions with one of them fancy boardgame tables

I've got a boardgametables custom table, so can't speak to the Jasper, but they've been fantastic.

My table is a bit bigger than ChaosHat, and I went with trestle legs instead of corners. It's our dining table, so I got the topper. It was a gift from family, so it's also tricked out with LED, drawers, USB chargers, and accessories.

He's covered most of the great stuff, and I'd agree. Build quality, playing surface, options are all fantastic. I've contacted customer service a few times and they've been wonderfully helpful.

A few cons I've experienced in the past year, just to balance things out:
    1: The play surface isn't removable on my custom table. I believe the Jasper do have a removable play mat style surface, so that at least shouldn't be a problem there.
    2: The cupholders on mine have to be inserted in a specific location (left side for the long sides, and middle for the ends) and then slid down to where you want them. The Wyrmwood style is a much better solution, but it's not really bad other than warning people who sit near those spots not to accidentally drop their holder out if they reposition it.
    3: Accessories are a bit more limited. If you're looking at all the stuff Wyrmwood offers for their rails, they are definitely the ones who offer the most in the way of accessories.
    4: No inner rail.
    5: If you want a topper, and the poker chip holder, you can't keep the chip holder loaded with chips and put the topper on. I would kinda work, but it's going to either ruin the underside of the topper or the play surface from being pressed into it. They probably should have shaved another 1/8" or so off the chip holder base.

On the topic of different companies:
    I went with BGT because they have a quick turn around. From ordering to receiving my table was about 4 months. They also had the most features I wanted: custom size, moveable cup holders, player desks, dividers, drawers. The USB and lighting was a nice bonus.
    Wyrmwood has quite the wait time. Prophecy is unknown, and MGT you have to wait for the next Kickstarter (August?) and then it depends on when you can get a slot on the schedule.
    Rathskellers looked nice, but they said they use a veneer, which is normal and common in furniture, but I was coming off of an old hand-me-down where the veneer was peeling off. Granted the table was likely 30+ years old, but I just wasn't interested in that.
    Geek'n'Son didn't have the size I wanted, but I liked their stuff next to Wyrmwood.
    The rest of the manufacturers I just didn't like the look of the tables or they didn't offer the size I wanted. I didn't want a "game" only table, so toppers were a must and no exposed/built in cupholders. However, if that's what you're looking for, there are plenty out there. Carolina Game Tables are another big one. I also didn't want to have to wait and back a Kickstarter and then wait even more. I almost backed Wyrmwood's MGT and the tier I was in was for June, but with all the delays I likely would have only just gotten it in the past few months.

edit: Here's a picture of what I got.
    INlmjtBl.jpg

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    I was eyeballing BGT and Wyrmwood for a long while but I think I'm now leaning toward Carolina Game Tables. It's "only" a 6 month wait time, which isn't a lot more than BGT really, and I like the fact that their tables have 1) integrated cupholders and 2) the wide brim around the outside so that there's room for people to keep stuff not down on the play surface. Character sheets/boards, personal chits/cards, etc. that don't necessarily need to be easy to see by other players staying up there, out of the shared space, seems cleaner to me? I dunno. I didn't like the look of it until I actually saw one in person in use and now the narrow edges of the other companies' tables that aren't really wide enough to use for much of anything seem like missed opportunity to me.

• Options
    Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    edited April 2022
    I like my Ikea table a lot personally. It's not going to seat 6 for TI4 or whatever, but also it was $259 vs $4000 so yknow. It serves my needs perfectly ;)

Edit: forgot the link
    https://www.ikea.com/us/en/p/norden-gateleg-table-birch-90423887/

Ah_Pook on
  • Options
    ChaosHatChaosHat Hop, hop, hop, HA! Trick of the lightRegistered User regular
    I was eyeballing BGT and Wyrmwood for a long while but I think I'm now leaning toward Carolina Game Tables. It's "only" a 6 month wait time, which isn't a lot more than BGT really, and I like the fact that their tables have 1) integrated cupholders and 2) the wide brim around the outside so that there's room for people to keep stuff not down on the play surface. Character sheets/boards, personal chits/cards, etc. that don't necessarily need to be easy to see by other players staying up there, out of the shared space, seems cleaner to me? I dunno. I didn't like the look of it until I actually saw one in person in use and now the narrow edges of the other companies' tables that aren't really wide enough to use for much of anything seem like missed opportunity to me.

The wide brim seems like a negative to me. I would want to minimize the amount of reaching you do, which is my primary complaint with my 3x6 playable area. If you have someone sitting on the ends they're really far away.

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Ah_Pook wrote: »
    I like my Ikea table a lot personally. It's not going to seat 6 for TI4 or whatever, but also it was $259 vs $4000 so yknow. It serves my needs perfectly ;)

Edit: forgot the link
    https://www.ikea.com/us/en/p/norden-gateleg-table-birch-90423887/

Quantity (of money still in my bank account) has a quality all of its own.

• Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    edited April 2022
    Oh hey, I know it was mentioned a bit ago, but the Feast of Crows DLC for the digital AGOT implementation finally came out. Looks like they had a bunch of bug-fixes in there as well, desync was mentioned in the patch notes. Hopefully that fixes things?

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Wanna know how to catch my attention?

Announce an Expandable (living) card game.

Made By Pine Box Studios - the folks who took over Doomtown Reloaded.

And have it set in 7th Sea.

Megatron_yeeeeesss.gifv

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    edited April 2022
    Yay! The next Space Base expansion is here. Much like the first one, it is set up so the new mechanics are introduced over a storyline. It picks up after the first set, but gives you all the components you need from the first set.

57Ljxwlh.jpg

Last saga was done over lunches at work, when we all had to be in the office. This one... might be trickier. But I'm still gonna give it a shot, as I adore this game.

The manual and the mystery box are much larger as well.

Edit: Ooooh, this is cool. Spoilers for the main module that comes out of the Saga expansion 1. No story spoilers.

The new expansion includes 15 new Shy Plutonium dice (as far as I know out of the box). These are orange, and are to be used if you don't have saga expansion 1. However, if you do, you add them to the RED Shy Plutonium dice, but still use the PINK Shy Plutonium dice as your starting 6 dice.

So I'm like.. are they different? Turns out... yes. Yes they are.

RgTcyFkh.jpg

It's cool seeing these power curves. Middle of the pack credits, more victory point dice, and a lot more bonus rolls.

I think they also changed up the font/design a bit to make the orange dice easier to read/interpret than the original dice.

The 2nd expansion also adds more ways to gain patrol tokens, which is nice.

Athenor on
  • Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    Athenor wrote: »
    Wanna know how to catch my attention?

Announce an Expandable (living) card game.

Made By Pine Box Studios - the folks who took over Doomtown Reloaded.

And have it set in 7th Sea.

Megatron_yeeeeesss.gifv

Honestly kicking myself a bit for not signing up for the online play tests when I had a bunch of time off work. Sounds pretty dope. Supposed to be dropping at GenCon?

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    AmarylAmaryl Registered User regular
    my Favourite games to play lately have been Brass Birmingham, and Blood Rage, although Blood rage is falling off, because even though my group(s) now know which cards are the good cards so you don't get stupid combos, the possibility space of which cards and strategies are viable are getting whittled down with every play.

The fact that there are 2 of the Loki-cards that steal rage for losing a battle, just makes any strategy that consists of winning fights untenable. as you can't really avoid the player(s) with the card.

I'm also really enjoying my copy of the Great Zimbabwe; if only my friends were into it as much as I am, but apparently that game is just a bit too unforgiving, so its not hitting the table enough.

• Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited April 2022
    EDIT - Damn, you, mobile
    I got a copy of the Sidereal Confluence remastered edition and I'm very excited to try it this weekend. I've been dreaming of playing this one.

The remaster is a huge aesthetic improvement, too, damn.

My top game. An absolute riot every time.

I personally lump in Unity with the Zeth and Yengi as advanced factions because they don't get by with fair trades.

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    Cantido wrote: »
    MrBody wrote: »
    Does it recreate the authentic Dead by Daylight experience with the survivors trolling the killer with endless pallet loops, body blocking, and insta-repair items?

I'm disappointed that it's not hidden movement.

It is, technically.

• Options
    PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular
    Amaryl wrote: »
    my Favourite games to play lately have been Brass Birmingham, and Blood Rage, although Blood rage is falling off, because even though my group(s) now know which cards are the good cards so you don't get stupid combos, the possibility space of which cards and strategies are viable are getting whittled down with every play.

The fact that there are 2 of the Loki-cards that steal rage for losing a battle, just makes any strategy that consists of winning fights untenable. as you can't really avoid the player(s) with the card.

I'm also really enjoying my copy of the Great Zimbabwe; if only my friends were into it as much as I am, but apparently that game is just a bit too unforgiving, so its not hitting the table enough.

We've played blood rage a hundred times in my group

Winning fights definitely doesn't buy you much. Our games are still very fun but it's a competition over yggdrasil, free pillages, quests, and setup for ragnarok points. Axes in particular are meaningless when you have no chance at fewer than 180 points.

We love resurrecting upgraded ships from valhalla, 32 points for losing both the sea serpent and your ship in final ragnarok, and filling the rd 3 ragnarok province in age 2 after drafting the ragnarok doubler. We never see Odin's Throne matter anymore.

That age 1 battle loss card is so much better than age 2 or age 3 battle loss cards!

sig.gif
  • Options
    PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular
    We also love Brass to death but it's so hard to play that we end up announcing legal options to each other when the active player seems stumped. Frequently that unblocks their planning?!?

sig.gif
  • Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    edited April 2022
    We tried Sidereal Confluence last night

I loved it but it takes up an absurd amount of table space, and processing your board state is overwhelming

The winner had 55 points while the rest of us all had 27.5. Literally doubled us. I suspect we did some things wrong here and there but I think we gave him too many good trades.

Honestly this is a real critique: a game that relies so heavily on players processing their many cubes all at once, with a tight cube economy, is very prone to errors and omissions and accidental cube cheats. It takes way too long to through everyone's production individually so you won't do that or verify anyone else's production.

I have a similar concern about something like Gaia Project, which has fewer bits but an even more carefully precise economy where one accidental extra resource (especially early on) can compound into a game-breaking advantage

Maybe I'm being paranoid because the light brown cubes are represented by dark brown icons, and the dark green cubes are represented by light green icons, and it's very confusing and I'm colourblind.

Evil Multifarious on
  • Options
    DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    9 year old and I played Scythe for the first time last weekend, I barely squeaked out a win by 2 points. I have become quite fond of Stonemaier's game design philosophy and it makes games easy to introduce and teach. I'll probably pick up Tapestry at some point in the future to give a spin. But I digress, the 9 year old really enjoyed it and we'll play again soon.

The 7 year old didn't want to play "Big Kid Scythe" so we instead played My Little Scythe during which she crushed me by netting four trophies to my two. Then we played New York Zoo and I finished a turn ahead of her.

I'm thinking Ark Nova would be a good future pickup for these kids once it actually gets in stock, but my next big game will probably be base Too Many Bones and after spending some time learning it in and out I'll introduce it to the kids.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Options
    DrArch that sounds delightful!

sig.gif
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    DoctorArch wrote: »
    Then we played New York Zoo and I finished a turn ahead of her.

did you flip her off and yell BOO YA

• Options
    We tried Sidereal Confluence last night

I loved it but it takes up an absurd amount of table space, and processing your board state is overwhelming.

My few games of it were definitely in the "whoever can parse this overwhelming mountain of shit in front of everybody slightly better than the other players wins" camp. Trying to read the game state was the game. Nobody liked it enough to try to push through that and see if anything was left on the other side.

• Options
    It feels weird for a game as complex and full of rules as Siderial Confluence is, but I feel like it's best approached as a party game.

Not like the kind of game you bust out when everyone is drunk and just wants to sit around giggling at Cards Against Humanity kind of party game, but a game where it is, itself, the party. It takes hours to play and most of the time you probably aren't going to have a solid idea of how you're doing versus other players, but it's (in my experience) a very loud, boisterous game where most of the time people are going to be moving around furiously attempting to trade with one another. If you couple it with enough drinking that you don't care that you don't really know what's going on and so can't really strategize, it works.

Imagining a game where everyone sits at a table and carefully monitors that everybody is producing cubes exactly correctly while trying to judge every other player's board state relative to yours sounds like an awful experience. Three or four hours of beer and snacks, shouting "I need a green! Who's got my greens?! I got aaaallll your browns and blues over here!", on the other hand, is a good time.

• Options
    You could play Pit if you just want to shout at each other, and Pit is easier to teach, more fun when drunk, and much more boisterous.

• Options
    Ah_Pook wrote: »
    You could play Pit if you just want to shout at each other, and Pit is easier to teach, more fun when drunk, and much more boisterous.

Eh. I hated Pit but I loved Siderial Confluence. But I enjoy the fact that it's basically impossible to know for certain what each other player is trying to do and that gauging the value of a trade for the other parties is half guesswork.

• Options
    ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
    I feel like you can also just play Bonanza with that kind of attitude and it's going to be just as bad as SC but at least it too will go a lot faster.
    SC might actually work as a local smartphone game, where it would spare people accidentally cheating and be better about spreading board information. Dare to dream, I suppose.

• Options
    I feel like you can also just play Bonanza with that kind of attitude and it's going to be just as bad as SC but at least it too will go a lot faster.
    SC might actually work as a local smartphone game, where it would spare people accidentally cheating and be better about spreading board information. Dare to dream, I suppose.

Sure, and Bonanza is fun, but you can generally track what each person is trying to do with their hand and it lacks the engine-building aspects of SC.

Unrelatedly:

We played Wonderland's War last night and that is a heck of a solid game. Drafting + deck (bag, really) building + area control and asymmetric player powers with lots of built-in variability in game setup to keep replays fresh. Plus you get to pull chits out of a bag which I have a deep love for, for no obvious reason. It took us probably 2.5 hours to set up, teach the rules, and get through the first round. The second and 3rd rounds went by much more quickly, though, and I could see groups who already know how to play actually hitting the box's '25 minutes per player'. Glad I did the kickstarter deluxe or whatever tier as the plastic chips that go in the bags are excellent quality. I think it'd be fine using the cardboard ones it comes with but the nice, heavy plastic really improves the tactile feel of rooting around in your bag for a chip.

• Options
    Our store has in the KS Deluxe + tokens for that. I'm lucky that I'm not huge on Wonderland, because it really does look pretty. Glad to know it plays well too!

• Options
    edited April 2022
    Whelp. Time for FFG to raise my hopes and then dash them. They're about to do a livestream with Twilight Imperium related "surprise announcements."

Edit: Beginning of the stream, Aconyte book anthology is announced. Say there is a bigger one at the end.

Edit 2: Twilight Inscription, a Roll & Write game. Interesting!

They are teasing this as the biggest roll & write on the market. And they specifically called out all of the 4X quadrants...

N86VaK3h.png

Athenor on
  • Options
    edited April 2022
    Our store has in the KS Deluxe + tokens for that. I'm lucky that I'm not huge on Wonderland, because it really does look pretty. Glad to know it plays well too!

The themeing is well-done but not really relevant. My wife has weird zones of cultural touchstone ignorance, including Alice in Wonderland. She's somehow made it through 30-odd years of life without consuming more than part of the animated film, once. No idea what a Jabberwock is. Aware that Tea Parties are involved but not how. I don't really understand how she functions, sometimes. But it didn't matter to her enjoyment of the game at all. The art is nice* and the asymmetric faction mechanics and "wonderlandian" card abilities are kinda loosely themed on the Wonderland characters but an appreciation for the story is neither necessary nor, I think, any real advantage.

* The Cheshire Cat's castle miniatures are kind of horrifying and I don't understand why Alice's castles and supporter meeples look like dildos, but other than that.

Edit for quote
    Whelp. Time for FFG to raise my hopes and then dash them. They're about to do a livestream with Twilight Imperium related "surprise announcements."

Edit: Beginning of the stream, Aconyte book anthology is announced. Say there is a bigger one at the end.

They are teasing this as the biggest roll & write on the market. And they specifically called out all of the 4X quadrants...

I'm excited to have a game in the roll & write category that's too big and complicated for me to get anyone to play it.

CptHamilton on
  • Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Two weeks of prep and planning for an all-day R&W.

• Options
    DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular

N86VaK3h.png

Oh my, that roll & write looks interesting. Any word on solo play?

Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Options
    DoctorArch wrote: »

N86VaK3h.png

Oh my, that roll & write looks interesting. Any word on solo play?

That is literally the extent of what they teased. No player count, no nothing. I expect we won't hear anything till GenCon.