As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Come talk about the Jaguar, 3DO and Gex in the [Retro Games] Thread

• KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    edited April 2022
    https://youtu.be/pCueGe63cL8

This has kind of a Scott Pilgrim art style to it.

Krathoon on
  • wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    This is both retro and new, but Sega is bringing a Sonic Origins Package to PC, Xbox, Playstation, Switch. Includes "original" versions as well as remasters

https://www.shacknews.com/article/129895/sonic-origins-remastered-collection-gets-june-release-date

Includes Sonic 1, 2, Sonic 3 + Knuckles, and Sonic CD.

Notable because Sonic 3 + Knuckles rarely gets re-releases because of soundtrack license issues, and Sonic CD hasn't had a proper re-release in over 10 years.

This excites me.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
    Well. Sonic CD was totally remastered with a new engine.

Yeah. I may get both the steam and switch versions of Sonic Origins and Shredder's Revenge.
    Hope they don't mess up Origins.

It looks like you can only pre-order the Cowabunga Collection.
    Sonic Origins and Shredder's Revenge will not let you order yet.

I don't generally pre-order games as a rule, so I'll just wait until I can actually buy.

I have no idea what platform I'm going to buy on. On one hand it feels like a perfect switch game/collection... but I do have a shiny Steam Deck so buying it on Steam is possible for many of the same benefits.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    wunderbar wrote: »
    I don't generally pre-order games as a rule, so I'll just wait until I can actually buy.

I have no idea what platform I'm going to buy on. On one hand it feels like a perfect switch game/collection... but I do have a shiny Steam Deck so buying it on Steam is possible for many of the same benefits.

Probably comes down to whichever d-pad is less garbage... neither are too encouraging.

Probably comes down to whichever d-pad is less garbage... neither are too encouraging.

I actually don't hate the dpad on the steam deck. It's fine. And I could also play it on PC that way, with an Xbox controller. on switch... yeah the joy con excuse of a dpad isn't great, but can play on TV with the pro controller which does have an execellent dpad.

Though considering it feels like a game(s) I'd play mobile/portable a lot more.... steam deck and good dpad might be the winner right there.

• JazzJazz Registered User regular
    edited April 2022

I have yet to try the Steam Deck d-pad (*glares at empty email inbox, drums fingers*) but at its worst it's gonna be ten times better than trying to use the standard joycon one.

Still, maybe they'll tune stick control on the Switch so it's okay. But yeah, one of those things the Switch should be ideal for, except for its control shortcomings. Pro controller or proper d-pad left joycon recommended, I think.

Jazz on
    edited April 2022
    These also seem great to play on a laptop. I am tempted to go for the Switch and PC versions. I wish you can put Steam on a console and stream to it.

I found a good list of DOS games. It also has some from the 80s.
    https://www.reddit.com/r/gaming/comments/vj5t4/100_amazing_dos_games_this_was_my_childhood/

Krathoon on
  • DirtyDirty Registered User regular

I actually don't hate the dpad on the steam deck. It's fine. And I could also play it on PC that way, with an Xbox controller. on switch... yeah the joy con excuse of a dpad isn't great, but can play on TV with the pro controller which does have an execellent dpad.

Though considering it feels like a game(s) I'd play mobile/portable a lot more.... steam deck and good dpad might be the winner right there.

Hori makes a decent off-brand joycon that gives you a better d-pad for handheld mode. And I love using the SNES pad for playing retro games docked

Remember this game? A classic.
    https://youtu.be/8b9u_316Ex8

• MMMigMMMig Registered User regular
    Namrok wrote: »
    Speaking of cabs, I built a thing.
    gv7dfarkj4tz.jpg

I got the very last, full sized DIY kit from my local Microcenter. Clearance prices too, less than $400. I also had a spare Pi3 to run it, which is nice since Raspberry Pi boards are almost impossible to find anymore. Grabbed a cheap 32" TCL screen, since mame has no need for 4k output or HDR. Also a kit of controls, speakers, amp, etc.

I ended up having to swap out all the microswitches that came in the controls kit, since they were the hottest of cheap chinese garbage that proliferates on Amazon. But the actual buttons aren't terrible. I really want to replace the joysticks too though. Been eyeing some nice IL models, but they are always out of stock everywhere. Because supply chains.

I had left the top gaping open for like a month, while I was figuring out what to do with it. I had originally wanted to do it up like a Galaga cabinet, but the geometry of the sides just wasn't going to work. Then I remembered the Polybius cabinet is generally thought of as all black, and I found a place that prints the marquee. I used some scrap wood in the workshop that was sitting around when I bought the house, and threw some LED strips on it for the light box. I'm super happy with how it all came out.

At some point in the far flung future I may try to add a trackball to the middle. But I increasingly doubt it.

Ummmm... this is amazing.

l4lGvOw.png
    Witty signature comment goes here...

wra
    I installed Decent into Undermountain to see how bad it was.
    https://youtu.be/YJFJlZuOV_Y

• ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    It was bad!

But I have fond memories of the game because that was when tech support existed. I was running a Cyrix 6x86 at the time, and I spent three hours on the phone with a guy from Interplay's tech support trying to get the game working and, after mudding back and forth, we finally got it stable. Not great, because the game was still broken, but it ran without crashing instantly. He said he was going to write up some docs for internal use to support customers in the future, which 20ish year old me thought was neat at the time.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    It was bad!

But I have fond memories of the game because that was when tech support existed. I was running a Cyrix 6x86 at the time, and I spent three hours on the phone with a guy from Interplay's tech support trying to get the game working and, after mudding back and forth, we finally got it stable. Not great, because the game was still broken, but it ran without crashing instantly. He said he was going to write up some docs for internal use to support customers in the future, which 20ish year old me thought was neat at the time.

Yeah. It was running slow in DoxBox for some reason. I set the CPU to Max and it fixed it. Touchy game.
    The Interplay logo video plays slow and stutters for some reason.
    I will have to look at the manual, it is not intuitive to play. I don't see how you talk to people.

Sometimes you don't! And a lot of the times the bodies of enemies float in midair or disappear upward through the geometry. Seems that using the Descent engine to make an RPG-ish game with gravity was a bad idea!

edited April 2022
    You can get Dungeon Siege 1-3 on gog.
    I will leave it up to you to figure out how to get the expansions.

I patched Decent into Undermountain to v1.3. I guess I patched it right. It was one of those that didn't have an installer.

Krathoon on
    edited April 2022
    I don't know. The game seems interesting.
    https://youtu.be/YJFJlZuOV_Y

Edit: The ending is massively broken.
    https://youtu.be/sLKIms3PWOg

Krathoon on
  • JazzJazz Registered User regular
    emnmnme wrote: »

4:33 in that video, oh god yes. Mouse-pointer-y menu control using a console controller needs to die in a fire (looking at you, Ubisoft).

edited April 2022
    It is funny how some of these DOS games crap the bed when you exit them. The graphics get corrupted on exit for some reason.

Also, DOS games sometimes have weird ways to exit games, like using Alt-X.

Krathoon on
    Krathoon wrote: »
    Here is what I am talking about. Ultima 9 is the bizzaro Ultima.

https://wiki.ultimacodex.com/wiki/Tapestry_of_Ages

Just reading this. It's in game. I could certainly justify it with "people who make murals are unreliable narrators."

What they did to develop Spelljammer is amazing.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spelljammer:_Pirates_of_Realmspace

• DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    9 years ago is retro now?

• MMMigMMMig Registered User regular
    According to my knees and back pain, oh yeah.

l4lGvOw.png
    Witty signature comment goes here...

wra
  • SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    MMMig wrote: »
    According to my knees and back pain, oh yeah.

I only awesome'd this post because we don't have :bro: anymore.

What's the deal with airline food all of these handheld retrogaming devices that are all over the place now? I'm currently using a Vita 1K to get my "I want to play Sonic 2 but while laying down on my couch" sorta fix, but are there any alternatives that are impressive enough that I should consider looking at them as an alternative?

• MercadeMercade Registered User regular
    edited April 2022
    Get a Sega Nomad. And a bulk order of AA batteries

Mercade on
    Switch: SW-1909-0466-9585
  • rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    Ayn Odin. A bit pricey but it brings enough power to open up the 6th gen consoles.

• SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    Mercade wrote: »
    Get a Sega Nomad. And a bulk order of AA batteries

I had a Nomad when I was in High School (back in the early 2000s, not when it was commercially relevant). Sometimes I'd take it to school and play Shinobi or Phantasy Star II or Super Hang On during my lunchbreak (with a Genesis power adaptor).

Sadly one day I was putting it back into my backpack and dropped it, shattering the screen. This was about a year before the GBA was launched, so the concept of being able to play home console games in a portable system (even if they were a couple generations behind what was current) still blew my mind.

• LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    Ouch.

I remember wanting one as the Saturn and PlayStation were taking over, and I thought that surely that was the best way for me to get into the Genesis library.

Then I saw the price.

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifJZuC7sH.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    My biggest memory of sega handhelds is how my family and I used to go camping all the time, and when my Game Gear would inevitably drain its 6 AA batteries in an hour or two, my parents would make me an offer to give me fresh batteries if I spent an hour reading a book or something while they used the Game Gear TV tuner to see how the football game was going for a bit, lol

There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • NitsuaNitsua Gloucester, VARegistered User regular
    Ouch.

I remember wanting one as the Saturn and PlayStation were taking over, and I thought that surely that was the best way for me to get into the Genesis library.

Then I saw the price.

I think I lucked out buying my Nomad, Virtual Boy and a handful of Gamecube games in 2007-2008. I paid at most $50 for a nomad and an ac adapter for it and paid $100 for two Virtual Boys and about 10 games - thinking that I could link them together.

Now all of that is worth a lot more and I’ve been considering selling off the VB and its games (I had given one away with a couple games to a friend of mine who has never played one before). But they’d have to pry the Nomad Out of my cold, dead hands. I recall wishing I could get that from the first time I saw it and the SEGA CDX in a ToysRUs ad back when it released. It doesn’t have the best screen, but playing actual Genesis cartridges on a portable still blows my mind a bit to this day.

• emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2fc7NFhiREo

Strider was the second arcade game I ever played. It probably cost me 4 quarters to get to the first Ivan Drago miniboss bus man was it a pretty game back in the NES days.

• Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    edited April 2022
    Jazz wrote: »

I have yet to try the Steam Deck d-pad (*glares at empty email inbox, drums fingers*) but at its worst it's gonna be ten times better than trying to use the standard joycon one.

Still, maybe they'll tune stick control on the Switch so it's okay. But yeah, one of those things the Switch should be ideal for, except for its control shortcomings. Pro controller or proper d-pad left joycon recommended, I think.

My main interest in the steam deck is to use it to play retro and retro-inspired FPS games. The Switch is perfect for them in handheld and I'd have to imagine Steam Deck performs similarly with a much larger library of games to choose from. Although gyro controls (the main advantage of playing on the Switch) might be a problem. I'm not sure how all that works on the Steam Deck.

Handsome Costanza on
    Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.