As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[MTG] One Ring Four Mana

• VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »
    Oh boy I hope it's another format that uses digital-only cards because people definitely loved that.

Sarcasm aside, Pioneer-lite is the likely answer here. They've run "What Was Written" for a couple of midweeks (including today/yesterday) and might have interesting numbers although I can't imagine this week's would have much impact on the data.

nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
    AC:NH Chris from Glosta SW-5173-3598-2899 DA-4749-1014-4697 @vyolynce@mastodon.social
  • Kevin CristKevin Crist I make the devil hit his knees and say the 'our father'Registered User regular
    Yeah, supposedly a pioneer-lite format without any alchemy/digital only/historic anthology/jumpstart/strixhaven archives cards that are not already pioneer legal.

Hopefully we'll hear something about pioneer masters or anthology as well.

acpRlGW.jpg
    Steam: YOU FACE JARAXXUS| Twitch.tv: CainLoveless
    I guess the other option is Gladiator but I'm not sure WotC considers it different enough from 100-card Historic Brawl.

nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
    AC:NH Chris from Glosta SW-5173-3598-2899 DA-4749-1014-4697 @vyolynce@mastodon.social
  • Ivan HungerIvan Hunger Registered User regular
    Do you think when they eventually go back to Mirrodin they'll finish killing it or actually bring it back to at least degree? Because I'll be honest Mirrodin was always my favorite setting in all the planes and I kind of don't give a shit about the Phyrexians personally.

Before the last few years, my guess was that it would be a two-set story were the first set is about relocating the surviving uncorrupted Mirrans to an "uninhabited" plane, then using new technology based on Feroz's Ban and the Immortal Sun to quarantine New Phyrexia from the rest of the Multiverse. The Mirran refugees would start terraforming their new home into a metal world like Mirrodin was, which would become a source of conflict when it turns out the plane wasn't as uninhabited as they thought. Meanwhile, the threat of Phyrexia would be preserved in case it was ever needed for future stories.

But now we have two plot devices that we didn't have back then, halo and Phyrexian planeswalkers. For the first time since Urza died and took the secrets of the legacy weapon with him, we have a "silver bullet" weapon that specifically targets Phyrexians and is harmless, beneficial even, to everything else. The purification of Mirrodin is a real possibility now. And the existence of Phyrexian planeswalkers means that even if New Phyrexia is wiped out, it could always be restarted again somewhere else, which allows Wizards of the Coast to keep their options open.

It'll be interesting to see how things turn out. Urabrask is a real wildcard in the situation, as he always has been. He doesn't share Elesh Norn's vision of a multiverse united under phyresis, but he presumably doesn't want to see his own people be exterminated either. It could be a great source of narrative conflict if the Gatewatch is divided on whether they should betray Urabrask after he stuck his neck out for them by annihilating the Pyrexians entirely or wether they should look for some other solution that would allow his more tolerant subspecies of Phyrexians to find their own place in the world.

• PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    The Legacy Weapon wasn't some magical silver bullet. It was a magical Death Star more or less.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
    The New Capenna Devil Token is super cute.

en_49SZEaNNQW.png

• Up JobUp Job Registered User regular
    Feeling cute, might deal 1 damage to any target later.

edited April 2022
    Honestly that token art needs to just be an actual card. It's dripping with personality.

Edit: Unrelated news, another bunch of Baldur's Gate cards leaked. One of them has reminder text for Choose a Background, which confirms that it is in fact a Partner variation like people thought.

Polaritie on
    Polaritie wrote: »
    Honestly that token art needs to just be an actual card. It's dripping with personality.

I wouldn't be surprised if was intended for a card that had to be cut for some reason, but they rescued it by putting it on the token. There's just a lot going on in that art, which isn't normally the case for token arts.

• Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    Do you think when they eventually go back to Mirrodin they'll finish killing it or actually bring it back to at least degree? Because I'll be honest Mirrodin was always my favorite setting in all the planes and I kind of don't give a shit about the Phyrexians personally.

Before the last few years, my guess was that it would be a two-set story were the first set is about relocating the surviving uncorrupted Mirrans to an "uninhabited" plane, then using new technology based on Feroz's Ban and the Immortal Sun to quarantine New Phyrexia from the rest of the Multiverse. The Mirran refugees would start terraforming their new home into a metal world like Mirrodin was, which would become a source of conflict when it turns out the plane wasn't as uninhabited as they thought. Meanwhile, the threat of Phyrexia would be preserved in case it was ever needed for future stories.

But now we have two plot devices that we didn't have back then, halo and Phyrexian planeswalkers. For the first time since Urza died and took the secrets of the legacy weapon with him, we have a "silver bullet" weapon that specifically targets Phyrexians and is harmless, beneficial even, to everything else. The purification of Mirrodin is a real possibility now. And the existence of Phyrexian planeswalkers means that even if New Phyrexia is wiped out, it could always be restarted again somewhere else, which allows Wizards of the Coast to keep their options open.

It'll be interesting to see how things turn out. Urabrask is a real wildcard in the situation, as he always has been. He doesn't share Elesh Norn's vision of a multiverse united under phyresis, but he presumably doesn't want to see his own people be exterminated either. It could be a great source of narrative conflict if the Gatewatch is divided on whether they should betray Urabrask after he stuck his neck out for them by annihilating the Pyrexians entirely or wether they should look for some other solution that would allow his more tolerant subspecies of Phyrexians to find their own place in the world.

I just think it would be a shame if Mirrodin's whole aesthetic and the interesting world and lore associated with them never came back in some form.

Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • Kevin CristKevin Crist I make the devil hit his knees and say the 'our father'Registered User regular
    https://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/magic-digital/mtg-arena-premier-play-2022-04-21
    When much of public gaming around the world closed down in early 2020, Magic: The Gathering Arena became one of the most practical ways for many players to engage with Magic, and especially with Magic's competitive system. With the return of the Pro Tour and high-level tabletop play, MTG Arena had an opportunity to update its role in the greater Premier Play system—while also offering its own unique events for digital players.

Alongside new events, we are refreshing how the MTG Arena competitive path works. During the past two years, playing the ranked ladders has been the primary way for a player to begin their competitive journey. As part of reworking our system, and looking to offer a greater variety of paths, we're de-emphasizing ladder play while creating new, flexible pathways for players to find their competitive footing on MTG Arena. Whether you play daily or only once in a while, we hope to have a competitive path that works for you.

more in link.

acpRlGW.jpg
    The only part of that article I cared about was Bo3 Drafts paying 250 gems and a pack for a 1-2 instead of the current nothing.

Good luck to you more competitive types, though!

nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
  • UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    Rules question, I think I know the answer but want to make sure

would tapping Glittering Stockpile for mana count for things that care about "mana from a treasure spent to cast", even though it's not being sacrificed the way other treasure/tokens are?

I assume yes, because the type is still "Treasure", but just want to make sure. Having a repeatable Treasure bonus enabler seems kinda handy.

qa8rvg5ymwb5.png

edited April 2022
    Ooh, good catch, but yes, it would. That was already clearly a really nice mana rock too.

Polaritie on
  • UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    sweet.

There's not a ton of uses for that particular case, main ones I can think of are Kalain's bonus to creatures summoned with treasure mana, or Security Rhox's reduced casting cost (or both :D ), the other cards with that text are all kinda bad even if you could get their bonus more reliably

I also want to drop some big stupid hasty thing with the mana from a loaded up Stockpile's second ability and a Kalain out

• I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    https://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/magic-digital/mtg-arena-state-game-streets-new-capenna-2022-04-21?st

As people guessed, the new format is Pioneer. However, until it reaches card parity with Pioneer*, it will be referred to as Explorer.

*specifically, card parity of Meaningful Cards
    We want to stress that supporting Pioneer on MTG Arena will take several years to accomplish. "All the cards that matter" means we'll be working toward all of the cards that are regularly played in Pioneer decks, much the same way that Vintage on Magic Online doesn't contain every 2/2 for two ever printed, but it does contain all the cards needed to mimic the paper Vintage format.

There are also a lot of cards in Pioneer-legal sets that were intended for Limited or multiplayer formats that aren't relevant to Constructed play or have become obsolete as better versions of the card have become available. Cards like that, as well as cards that have a high development cost with little or no play in the Pioneer format, are low on our priority list. Never say never, but our priority on card implementation will be driven by what we see in the Pioneer Constructed meta.

Now, on to the ban list. We plan to adhere to the Pioneer ban list, though there may be a times where a card becomes problematic in Explore because of the current differences in card pools. If that happens, we will not rebalance or suspend the card; we will ban it.

liEt3nH.png
  • DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    did they jam Alchemy in to this too?

I know I'm one of the few here that do like some of the Alchemy content, but it'll be nice to play Explorer too. I do like Pioneer a lot, just dont like to play on Magic Online.

Just one request for Anthology 6.

acpRlGW.jpg
    still thinking about Kalain + Glittering Stockpile

it's exactly the sort of dumb janky combo I will happily lose repeatedly to pull off 1 game in 6, though I think there's room for an aggressive Jund treasure deck that keeps getting value from Kalain's bonuses, stuff like the new Security Rhox, or Shatterskull Charger, or obvious things like Goldspan

the dream though? Kalain + Glittering Stockpile + Cragplate Baloth

it doesn't need to be all treasure mana, it doesn't even need to use the kicker, but the potential for shenanigans on this will be worth multiple losses

DanHibiki wrote: »
    did they jam Alchemy in to this too?

Alchemy is not pioneer legal, so no.

acpRlGW.jpg
    This is specifically the eternal format they made for people who don't want Alchemy

liEt3nH.png
  • XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    Which is what Historic should have been. Instead we get original Historic, but with less cards. Color me less than totally enthused. I guess this way more people will feel the need to keep buying newer sets.

That...would have been the case with Historic, as well?

liEt3nH.png
  • initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    I swear this was going to be what historic built into before someone was like “what if we sold bundles of cards to players of random shit we thought would be cool” so we could make money off of post rotation things still.

In fact when Historic was first announced people were angry that it wasn't Pioneer.

liEt3nH.png
    I'm going to miss exactly one card from my current Historic deck:

m3xie5wl0r5b.jpeg

This thing is hilarious. Eating a Witch's Oven has been my favorite play but erasing a Platinum Angel was a close second.

nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif

I just think it would be a shame if Mirrodin's whole aesthetic and the interesting world and lore associated with them never came back in some form.

I'm optimistic about it. Whenever WotC makes a drastic change to a plane, they almost always leave themselves a backdoor so they have some way of returning to the prior version of the plane when they want to. That policy came about because of a few embarrassing retcons they had to make, Mirrodin already being one of them.

Remember how the original Mirrodin story ended with all organic life on the plane being sent back to wherever Memnarch had plucked them from? Once they realized they wanted to do Scars block, they couldn't just leave out all the iconic tribes from the first block, so they retconned the story to say that only the original generation of organics were sent back to their planes of origin, while their offspring who were born on Mirrodin remained.

Likewise, they've already quietly retconned away the ending of Lorwyn/Shadowmoore's story where the two versions of that plane merged together, because they want any future returns there to have the same duality that was the defining feature of the plane the first time around. And they've said they've already thought of a way to restore everyone's memories of Tarkir's original timeline since that was far and away the more popular version of Tarkir.

With all that in mind, I'm pretty confident they'll find a way to bring back Mirrodin Classic in some form while also keeping the Phyrexians around somewhere else.

• XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular

People could have had a deck they were happy with in Historic. No more cards needed. Now Historic is nuked, start over in Pioneer which is just going to end up where Historic started with less cards.

There has to be some reason they screwed with it and money is the reason behind everything.

• admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    I swear this was going to be what historic built into before someone was like “what if we sold bundles of cards to players of random shit we thought would be cool” so we could make money off of post rotation things still.

Historic was announced alongside the first Anthology, which already had cards that weren't in Pioneer. Historic was always going to be something weird that wasn't exactly Standard+ but wasn't Pioneer either.

I was down with that until, y'know, Alchemy.

• milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    Xeddicus wrote: »

People could have had a deck they were happy with in Historic. No more cards needed. Now Historic is nuked, start over in Pioneer which is just going to end up where Historic started with less cards.

There has to be some reason they screwed with it and money is the reason behind everything.

Historic... still exists? This is like saying Pioneer itself destroyed Modern.

I ate an engineer
    Xeddicus wrote: »

People could have had a deck they were happy with in Historic. No more cards needed.

that is not how eternal formats wind up working

liEt3nH.png
  • initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    admanb wrote: »

Historic was announced alongside the first Anthology, which already had cards that weren't in Pioneer. Historic was always going to be something weird that wasn't exactly Standard+ but wasn't Pioneer either.

I was down with that until, y'know, Alchemy.

ahh. I couldn't remember and just always contextualized it as "the thing that happens when rotation happens" or a Wild equivalent. Guess it was just never that.

• turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular

I'm optimistic about it. Whenever WotC makes a drastic change to a plane, they almost always leave themselves a backdoor so they have some way of returning to the prior version of the plane when they want to. That policy came about because of a few embarrassing retcons they had to make, Mirrodin already being one of them.

Remember how the original Mirrodin story ended with all organic life on the plane being sent back to wherever Memnarch had plucked them from? Once they realized they wanted to do Scars block, they couldn't just leave out all the iconic tribes from the first block, so they retconned the story to say that only the original generation of organics were sent back to their planes of origin, while their offspring who were born on Mirrodin remained.

Likewise, they've already quietly retconned away the ending of Lorwyn/Shadowmoore's story where the two versions of that plane merged together, because they want any future returns there to have the same duality that was the defining feature of the plane the first time around. And they've said they've already thought of a way to restore everyone's memories of Tarkir's original timeline since that was far and away the more popular version of Tarkir.

With all that in mind, I'm pretty confident they'll find a way to bring back Mirrodin Classic in some form while also keeping the Phyrexians around somewhere else.

If we do end up with Urbrask's faction of chill phyrexians being a long term thing (finger's crossed) you don't even have to totally remove Phyrexia from Mirroden. Just like, dial it back from literally the whole plane to like, an extant biome on the plane.

X22wmuF.jpg
    turtleant wrote: »

If we do end up with Urbrask's faction of chill phyrexians being a long term thing (finger's crossed) you don't even have to totally remove Phyrexia from Mirroden. Just like, dial it back from literally the whole plane to like, an extant biome on the plane.

It could be as simple as Mirrans on the surface and Phyrexians in the core, since Mirrodin is hollow to begin with.

while i'm generally not particularly interested in the phyrexian plot, they've opened enough doors for it that i actually don't know how it'll end, which i think is neat. like the gatewatch stuff, i could tell you that eventually they're gonna show down with bolas, probably on ravnica, and one of 'em die. phyrexia could go a lot of ways! they're all fairly cliche, but having the option of moving in the direction of any of them is still nice

liEt3nH.png
  • KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    There is only one way the Phyrexian story can end: severed head laser eyes

2x39jD4.jpg
  • jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    Went undefeated tonight at my local’s weekly Legacy tournament with burn. Always feels good to take the top spot with a deck that costs less than a single copy of the cheapest OG dual land.

Kwoaru wrote: »
    There is only one way the Phyrexian story can end: severed head laser eyes

Knock it off, un-set Urza! We know it's you!

Dangit I’m getting excited about brewing Explorer decks, dust off some old favourites and see what new tricks are available

First up is a Feather deck with the new shield counter + scry instant, and the 2-mana double strike that connives whenever you target it with a spell

After that… need to find the best 4CMC or less non-human in Mardu colours to mutate Snapdax onto

Dangit I’m getting excited about brewing Explorer decks, dust off some old favourites and see what new tricks are available

First up is a Feather deck with the new shield counter + scry instant, and the 2-mana double strike that connives whenever you target it with a spell

After that… need to find the best 4CMC or less non-human in Mardu colours to mutate Snapdax onto

don't forget to not just look ahead, but also back

in pioneer right now feather decks get to play monastery swiftspear and favoured hoplite

liEt3nH.png
This discussion has been closed.