As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Anime] and Ani-you and Manga too!

• IronKnuckle's GhostIronKnuckle's Ghost Registered User regular
    cj iwakura wrote: »

This is great!

It is decided! Kamen Rider ZO, I choose you! (To be my first Kamen Rider show.)

• King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Lars wrote: »
    Since my brain categorizes webtoons as manga-adjacent for some reason, I will continue to post about Wayne Family Adventures here since I don't think we have a comics thread anymore anyways.

Today's chapter, like most chapters, was pretty great. This one was focused on the GCPD's first meetings with all the various Robins (including Stephanie as a Robin, as she should be).

63goo2dwi3ni.jpg

This is delightful.

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Since my brain categorizes webtoons as manga-adjacent for some reason, I will continue to post about Wayne Family Adventures here since I don't think we have a comics thread anymore anyways.

Today's chapter, like most chapters, was pretty great. This one was focused on the GCPD's first meetings with all the various Robins (including Stephanie as a Robin, as she should be).

63goo2dwi3ni.jpg

This is delightful.

I've been reading it after seeing it recommended here and it is a wonderful and wholesome comic.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • SkeithSkeith Registered User regular
    Not that I mind, but there's still a webcomic thread in this very board.

What's a webcomic?

Serious answer: I 100% did forget we had a webcomic thread. Though oddly my brain still categorizes webcomics and webtoons differently. Probably because I first encountered webtoons as the South Korean comics.

Were you around when Super Secret and Fluttering Feelings were being posted in there? Good times.

aTBDrQE.jpg
  • OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    edited April 2022

This is great!

Film. ZO was one of three Kamen Rider films between the two major eras of shows.

https://youtu.be/lc4bHpLa2Xk

Not that he's sore about being a one-shot Rider.

Owenashi on
  • IronKnuckle's GhostIronKnuckle's Ghost Registered User regular
    I stand corrected!

• DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    How is "Zo" pronounced?

Zoh?
    Zee-oh?
    Zed-oh?

DarkPrimus wrote: »
    How is "Zo" pronounced?

Zoh?
    Zee-oh?
    Zed-oh?

The middle one's already taken up by Kamen Rider Zi-O here, himself an anniversary Rider.

Yv5gWuB.png

• cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    Owenashi wrote: »

This is great!

Film. ZO was one of three Kamen Rider films between the two major eras of shows.

https://youtu.be/lc4bHpLa2Xk

Not that he's sore about being a one-shot Rider.

Its fine, he's still the best one.

wVEsyIc.png
    How is "Zo" pronounced?

Zoh?
    Zee-oh?
    Zed-oh?

The middle one's already taken up by Kamen Rider Zi-O here, himself an anniversary Rider.

Yv5gWuB.png

Now there's a hero that always knows the most dramatic time to show up to the rescue.

How is "Zo" pronounced?

Zoh?
    Zee-oh?
    Zed-oh?

Yv5gWuB.png

Now there's a hero that always knows the most dramatic time to show up to the rescue.

You should see his potential evil future-self, Ohma Zi-O.

jZ7Fj1e.png

• PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    How is "Zo" pronounced?

Zoh?
    Zee-oh?
    Zed-oh?

Zet-oh.

• GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    So we're watching SSSS.Dynazenon and just hit the episode where
    the kaiju makes everyone disappear, leaving only their shadows behind.
    And, boy... that's a fitting, but grim reference.

• Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    It's so funny to me that it seems like the Kamen Rider franchise went all in on increasingly intricate belt-based gadgets for a show that started as being about a guy tooling around on a cool motorcycle

• BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited April 2022
    I assume they make money off the toy sales so the character gimmicks became increasingly toy-based
    that seems to be true for most hero shows, and magical girl shows too

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
    It's so funny to me that it seems like the Kamen Rider franchise went all in on increasingly intricate belt-based gadgets for a show that started as being about a guy tooling around on a cool motorcycle

Gotta make more toys to sell more toys. Though Toei hasn't exactly been promoting them right in recent after-show films. Case in point, what happened in the second 01thers movie...
    ...with Kamen Rider Valkyrie. She only got one additional form to use which was kind of insulting when she had access to a third Progrise Key (the show's transformation trinket) around the second half of the series. Then comes this movie which finally gave her a new upgrade....

https://youtu.be/eGur2lLfAkI
    ...and it lasts for all of TWO MINUTES before it and the rest of her gear gets wrecked, putting her out of commission for the rest of the movie in which she's meant to be one of the two main characters of.

• ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    I should probably give Gaim and Drive another chance, but otherwise everything after Fourze has held very little appeal for me.

I gotta get caught up on Donbrothers though, I was enjoying that for the first few episodes. There's apparently a live action MAL equivalent, but it looks just as bad...

uyvfOQy.png
  • Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular

I do think it's hilarious that one of the first bikes I ever bought, a Honda CRF250L dual-sport, is one of the most common bikes they *do* use these days

• cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited April 2022
    Definitely worth the wait.

akxc21lncunc.png

The book is gigantic.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    Just finished Evangelion 3.33 with the kiddo and holy fuck I forgot it ends with an Utada song

Goddamn so good

Still very ambivalent about the movie itself though

Although I still have a massive love on for then mechanical design in these movies and the people who designed and animated it were face deep in the good drugs

• TryCatcherTryCatcher Registered User regular
    edited April 2022
    I assume they make money off the toy sales so the character gimmicks became increasingly toy-based

Yep (though, to be fair, series have always been about selling toys, check Sailor Moon commercials). Part of it is more advanced electronics, so can put more complex noises on the toys. But, in particular, I blame Super Sentai, in specific the transition from Go-Busters, a series with more subdued toys and low sales:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rYaCs45EeVw
    To Kyoryuger, a series with very loud toys and high sales:
    https://youtu.be/5D7pFxrzyqM
    The latter sold A LOT more toys, so loud it is. And I like Kyoryuger.

TryCatcher on
    Just finished Evangelion 3.33 with the kiddo and holy fuck I forgot it ends with an Utada song

Goddamn so good

Although I still have a massive love on for then mechanical design in these movies and the people who designed and animated it were face deep in the good drugs

The thing about 3.33 is that the real back third of the film is in 4.0+1.0

• bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular

Goddamn so good

The thing about 3.33 is that the real back third of the film is in 4.0+1.0

Yeah, absolutley

• augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    9uh0syf3bk45.jpeg

Misato Kitsuragi is the true unsung millennial icon.

• chocoboliciouschocobolicious Registered User regular
    Glal wrote: »
    Boy, there sure are a lot of manhwa with Villainess in the title, huh.

It is a whole genre.
    I'll just live on as a villainess
    The villainess is a marionette
    The grand duchess of the North was secretly a villainess
    The villainess's days are numbered
    The enchanting villainess
    The villainess behind the mask
    Villainess in love
    I'm a martial arts villainess
    The scorned villainess survives in the wilderness
    Angel or villainess
    The villainess lives again
    The villainess's maker
    The villainess turns the hourglass
    Princess villainess
    The villainess flips the script
    What it takes to be a villainess
    Today the villainess has fun again
    Beware the villainess
    A villainess for the tyrant
    When the villainess loves
    This villainess wants a divorce
    A villainess no more

Those are just the ones with it in the title that I've read. I'm sure there are almost as many that have one that don't have it in the title.

steam_sig.png
  • silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    This week in Kaguya anime we meet
    Maki Shijo, whose existence is suffering.

Did not disappoint.

• SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    edited April 2022
    This week in Kaguya anime we meet
    Maki Shijo, whose existence is suffering.

Did not disappoint.
    "Auntie"

I died.

Sorce on
    sig.gif
  • The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular

Part of it is also i believe a safety thing - The shows are being more directly marketed to kids/young teens, so while the bike has stuck around because it's kinda tradtional, they really do not seem to wnat to encourage kids doing the rider part of things.

Only the slaying monsters bit.

This is why i do sometimes wish we got more high budget/aimed at adults Kamen Rider stuff that wasnt relying on To Sell Toys - it can be a lot of fun, but often the best concepts kinda get drowned out by the need to sell toys and hit specific beats. At this point there's even been a repeating forumla of "The rider gets an upgrade that makes them beserk and evil in this episode" (usally early 20s), and then gets an upgrade that Purifies/Fixes that so they can use it properly X episdoes later.

Upgrade forms are still dope as hell though. Mostly. Save for the really silly ones

Anyway, bring on Shin Kamen Rider, i'm hoping it's good

Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
  • ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    Garo is basically the adult tokusatsu.

Well if you want adult there's way, way more actually...

uyvfOQy.png
  • Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    https://youtu.be/MedjuejIJ14

Of course Isekais are part of this video.

Anyway, I'd just finished going through Black Lagoon again before watching this, and I had a strange thought: is Black Lagoon basically an Isekai? Because Rock's character arc certainly is the arc of an Isekai main character.

ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • NeveronNeveron HellValleySkyTree SwedenRegistered User regular
    Black Lagoon is more just in the broader genre of "fish out of water" stories, I think. Isekai are the extreme example where you're thrust into an entirely unfamiliar world*, but there's plenty of examples of milder stuff where someone just gets a weird job or moves out to the country/city or whatever that still follows a lot of the same beats.

* Except for the subgenre of isekai where you're just transported into the very familiar world of the media you like, but those also tend to trade in entirely different tropes that are more related to what you see in historical time travel fiction and whatnot. In some ways, My Next Life as a Villainess: All Routes Lead to Doom has more in common with Star Trek's The City on the Edge of Forever than it has with That Time I Got Reincarnated As A Slime.

• RT800RT800 Registered User regular
    edited April 2022
    Iseakai are disappointing in the sense that it almost never actually matters that the protagonist is "from another world".

Like it's usually never even mentioned again by about episode three.

In which sense I guess Black Lagoon does make a better Isekai than most.

RT800 on
    RT800 wrote: »
    Iseakai are disappointing in the sense that it almost never actually matters that the protagonist is "from another world".

Isekai are dissapointing because a lot of them are "what if Sword Art Online had less likeable protagonists, more T&A and the more recent and disturbing trend of adding slavery". Which, gross.

Also I tend to get very bored every time that a show or a manga spend a lot of time on magic technobabble or even worse, gamer magic technobabble.

• NeveronNeveron HellValleySkyTree SwedenRegistered User regular
    LitRPGs also have a tendency to get really tedious when written by bad authors... which are kind of abundant in the web novel/light novel space.

If you ever pause a story to have the main character grind levels and show them grinding levels, oh boy. And no, I don't need to see a nigh-identical charsheet at the end of every chapter.

edited April 2022
    Neveron wrote: »
    LitRPGs also have a tendency to get really tedious when written by bad authors... which are kind of abundant in the web novel/light novel space.

If you ever pause a story to have the main character grind levels and show them grinding levels, oh boy. And no, I don't need to see a nigh-identical charsheet at the end of every chapter.

Is almost always padding. Movies and TV shows can cheat and show nice visuals or the music they are paying for, but manga/LN/text can't do that. Change perspective, show some character development, something. And I specially despise technobabble since most of the time is only there to show how special the protagonist is since he's able to ignore a good chunk of it anyways. If the author really doesn't care about sticking to the rules of his system, why should readers care about it?

TryCatcher on
    TryCatcher wrote: »
    RT800 wrote: »

Isekai are dissapointing because a lot of them are "what if Sword Art Online had less likeable protagonists, more T&A and the more recent and disturbing trend of adding slavery". Which, gross.

Also I tend to get very bored every time that a show or a manga spend a lot of time on magic technobabble or even worse, gamer magic technobabble.

Remember the anime second season of sword art where Asuka became a helpless damsel kept in a cage to be menaced by a sexual predator? Are you sure sword art had none of the slavery angle?

BahamutZERO.gif
  • ArcTangentArcTangent Registered User regular
    Or the protagonist thing.

Or the T&A stuff.

Or the technobabble.

ztrEPtD.gif
    To be fair, protagonist likeability is entirely personal taste

BahamutZERO.gif
    edited April 2022
    ArcTangent wrote: »
    Or the protagonist thing.

Or the T&A stuff.

Or the technobabble.

I said more on most of that, but on the slavery thing, I (and this is my opinion is fine that you don't share it) give leeway to shows doing bad stuff if is the villain doing it, it doesn't lean too much on it and is made clear that is a bad thing. So is a whole different game than, let's say, Shield Hero or GATE, that have protagonists doing the bad stuff and going "is not that bad and is ok if the "good" guys do it".

TryCatcher on
This discussion has been closed.