As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Youtube Thread celebrates 15 years of You, Time's Person of the Year

19495969798100»

• Options
    facetiousfacetious a wit so dry it shits sandRegistered User regular
    That SAT video is the sort of thing I'd normally never watch but I did because I've been following Wirtual since before he blew up, and it's kind of neat to see him enter the larger youtuber sphere. It was pretty good!

"I am not young enough to know everything." - Oscar Wilde
    Real strong, facetious.

Steam: Chagrin LoL: Bonhomie
  • Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    Doodmann wrote: »
    Delzhand wrote: »
    Glal wrote: »
    Brainleech wrote: »
    Phil Fletcher plays Hacker T dog and is this hour long video talks shop
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hxctpuhxduI
    "The final 20% of work on anything will only be 2% of the final product, so just declare it done and invest that time into the next project" is fantastic advice.

Warning: does not apply to software or security thereof

Have you looked at most software interfaces? It absolutely applies and is done in spades.

That doesn't make it good advice!

• Options
    PwnanObrienPwnanObrien He's right, life sucks. Registered User regular
    Meanwhile: In Zbrush...

Zk0B9qRUPqRSAq0IN72Fv0Xq3KM_tZyYTr7MpdOcnC4.gif?format=png8&s=27518f7268f9588a3cfe3ce68502fb336e2651bd

Mwx884o.jpg
  • Options
    halkunhalkun Registered User regular
    edited April 2022
    Blender would like to have a word...

zardpq9liwqy.png

halkun on
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    zbrush and blender are pretty different tools

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    It's important to adjust the layout in your tabs and then save your preferences so you can have a nice neat setup.

Then you can make a goddamn mess in the node editor.

8ik9mqyv8d3r.png

(This is actually a pretty clean node setup for me.)

• Options
    edited April 2022
    zbrush and blender are pretty different tools

Less and less so over time though, Blender's cheap as free knockoff tools have come a long way since they first added sculpting.

Zbrush is a weird program with a long and complicated history though and that really shows in how much vestigial content is still in there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ia0SUL93WM

Also this channel, Outgang, is pretty great in the same way that channels like New Frame Plus are for animation. Even if you don't give a shit about the technical side it's an edutaining watch.

PwnanObrien on
    Mwx884o.jpg
  • Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    Aistan wrote: »

It is. The SAT is not! Since it was literally created by IQ-citing eugenicists to justify their belief that minorities are mentally inferior. IQ was also created for this purpose. The biggest predictor of what a person's SAT score will be is what ZIP code they live in.

Naturally it was Reagan who brought them back to popularity and made them so key to the modern education system.

In the game of the USA the free space is Racism.
    While location and wealth are excellent predictors, race plays a much bigger role with the mean scores of the poorest white students being higher than the mean scores of black students at all levels of family income up to $100,000. In America, with segregated housing, "location" is just a euphemism for race.

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    ChicoBlue wrote: »
    It's important to adjust the layout in your tabs and then save your preferences so you can have a nice neat setup.

8ik9mqyv8d3r.png

I was gonna say, that's a nice well laid out shader node tree actually

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    OptyOpty Registered User regular
    I'm so happy I finished standardized testing before they added an essay to the SAT.

• Options
    Special shout out to Maya, a program that allows you to code in it's own proprietary MEL or Maya Embedded Language which the program is also built out of. It's sort of the software equivalent of that line from the Venture Brothers...
    Lincoln's Ghost:
    That's not Uncle Sam, it's me! Wouldn't lay a glove on it if it weren't. I can only move things in the material world that bear my image. Wait! That penny in your pocket, Dean! I was able to get that through the forcefield! That's it!

Hank:
    We build a gun made out of pennies!

Lincoln's Ghost:
    Exactly! Wait, no, that's insane!

Mwx884o.jpg
  • Options
    ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    ChicoBlue wrote: »

8ik9mqyv8d3r.png

I was gonna say, that's a nice well laid out shader node tree actually

Yeah, it's just layering SDFs on top of each other. Someone recently put out an add-on that has one of the more comprehensive lists of 2d SDFs that I've found and when you tab into those nodes they look like:

OgEHOq3.png

Which is him translating:
    float sdMoon(vec2 p, float d, float ra, float rb )
    {
        p.y = abs(p.y);
        float a = (ra*ra - rb*rb + d*d)/(2.0*d);
        float b = sqrt(max(ra*ra-a*a,0.0));
        if( d*(p.x*b-p.y*a) > d*d*max(b-p.y,0.0) )
              return length(p-vec2(a,b));
        return max( (length(p          )-ra),
                   -(length(p-vec2(d,0))-rb));
    }

and gosh bless him.

This discussion has been closed.