As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Chat] with friends.

• TuminTumin Registered User regular
    Kamiro wrote: Β»
    Why do people REFUSE to use their phone like a phone and think they are ment to be used on speakerphone

if they weren't meant to be used on speakerphone, why do they come with a speakerphone option?

checkmate, atheists

To tempt sinners obviously

• KamiroKamiro Registered User regular
    🐈
    zepherin wrote: Β»
    I just ate food, my wife was chilling, and the house phone rings, and I’ve never hoped for spam more in my life because I won’t have to get up.

house...

phone

??????

• ZavianZavian universal peace sounds better than forever war Registered User regular
    🐁
    I just ate food, my wife was chilling, and the house phone rings, and I’ve never hoped for spam more in my life because I won’t have to get up.

house...

phone

??????

TIME TRAVELER DETECTED

AGENTS DISPATCHED

• WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    🦐
    9rdm92gbq49p.jpeg

• ZavianZavian universal peace sounds better than forever war Registered User regular
    🐁
    r62laglgqcvz.png

• OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    Elendil wrote: Β»
    malenia in elden ring made me feel v emotional

I suppose frustration and rage at your own inadequacies is an emotion

house...

phone

??????

maybe zeph means a cellphone shaped like a house

• matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    Why do people REFUSE to use their phone like a phone and think they are ment to be used on speakerphone

Because they're inconsiderate assholes who think of no one but themselves. Bam. Next question.

nibXTE7.png
    🐁
    what about the people that use their phones like a phone and talk EXTREMELY LOUDLY about very personal topics while in a public setting, waiting in line, in a restaurant, etc.

phones off in stores/restaurants is too much to ask for

Zavian wrote: Β»
    what about the people that use their phones like a phone and talk EXTREMELY LOUDLY about very personal topics while in a public setting, waiting in line, in a restaurant, etc.

They tend to taste a little off but the meat is tender

It is vitally important that you hear me discuss my yeast infection with my family at 90dB

• matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular

Then you do what Larry David does.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LtdpJlZ07u4

nibXTE7.png
  • RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    edited April 2022
    Undertale made me feel feels. Deltarune's still winding up its pitch but there's good signs

RMS Oceanic on
  • A Kobold's KoboldA Kobold's Kobold He/Him MississippiRegistered User regular
    🐁
    Hades made me emotional, definitely
    Zagreus seeing his mother for the first time and then dying :cry:

And THEN Charon taking Zag & Persephone to the underworld as In the Blood plays

β€œHome / it’s not where you live / but who cares when you’re gone”

Switch Friend Code: SW-3011-6091-2364
  • zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    πŸ•

house...

phone

??????
    Reception at our house isn’t super great. And our jobs need a phone that works 100% of the time.

Hades made me emotional, definitely
    Zagreus seeing his mother for the first time and then dying :cry:

And THEN Charon taking Zag & Persephone to the underworld as In the Blood plays

β€œHome / it’s not where you live / but who cares when you’re gone”

I'm glad it managed to nail that for you. It didn't land for me but they were clearly shooting for it.

• navgoosenavgoose Registered User regular
    🐈
    Reading Kosh's effort post and yeah, jRPGs really do try to do emotional hook. Often clichΓ©, hamfisted, or contrived but they really try.

Add Xenoblade and FFX to his list for me. Also Horizon Zero Dawn and Hades.

edited April 2022
    I got new pants that ride like...1/4" higher than the batch of jeans I rotate through and I feel like they are riding at my nipples

Tumin on
  • HerrCronHerrCron It that wickedly supports taxation Registered User regular
    I got my bloated wreck of a body up and shuffled along the length of the Scotiabank 10k run today.
    And I knocked about a minute and a half off my PB in the process.

The trick was to have a shit PB to begin with *taps head*

sig.gif
  • WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    πŸ•

My partner has zoom voice, I'm like the mic works fine you can just speak normally but she's gotta PROJECT

• ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    🐈

once saw someone shop while screaming at the husband/boyfriend on the phone for cheating

YOU'RE WITH HER RIGHT NOW, AREN'T YOU?

• cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    🦐
    the Halo theme
    Y'know it's definitely more due to me spending nearly two decades deep frying my brain in them than the stories themselves, but there are some moments from those games that get a reaction out of me. Like John and Cortana reuniting in High Charity, or the "It's finished" callback at the end of 3.

🦐
    Cats making goofy faces is the most important thing in my life

edited April 2022
    🐁
    Winky wrote: Β»
    Cats making goofy faces is the most important thing in my life

bvb5228tjboi.pngMluDZS1.jpg

Zavian on
  • Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    I tried killing malenia as a cooperator last night and only managed twice in about 2 hours, still really fun though

I think she is still healing on misses because there were definitely times when she healed after I dodged

The only times we beat her were when we had the dps. Oh and of course so many people died on a single waterfowl dance which they were just standing at and not trying to dodge

People are pretty bad at fighting her!

• AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Oh my god.

I make a post out of exhaustion, then collapse into sleep.. and suddenly the forum spends the entire night talking about Homeworld! I could cry....

Though it's probably best I didn't, as I might've stifled the amazing discourse.. and I definitely wouldn't have slept. :D

As is pretty obvious to everyone on this forum, Homeworld is a very important game to me. It's extremely near and dear. I remember seeing a single screenshot and blurb for it in Sierra's advertising magazine. I joined the IGN forums in order to enter a contest to be in the closed beta, and I won. I got to speak with the heads of studio for Relic, and Relicnews became my first true online community. On release day, I forced my mom to travel to the next city over, in a rainstorm, to pick it up... which she did on the condition that I drove, as I hadn't yet done anything that long distance with my new license.

But in terms of the game's story and impact.. the thing that stood out to me the most?

The manual. I'd gotten really in-depth manuals before, as they were more common back then in PC games. But this was a whole world of factions, details, and lore....

ZHEACzJh.jpg

And all that meant nothing.

That emotional moment, of the planet getting nuked? They kept that hidden from people every way they could. The demo, at the time, ended literally halfway through mission 2, when the raiders started coming at you. The whole story was built around finding the way home.. but not the cost that it would inflict on you. And the manual helped hype this up. The manual went into all this detail about the Kiiths, their histories, all that... and it never mattered in the game, because they all had to band together just to survive.

That level of storytelling is something I've always aspired to. That everything has meaning, and origins and history. It doesn't need to be fantastical and over the top. In fact, mundane is fine! But there still should be a reason behind everything, even if lost to time.

Cataclysm did show a world where the kiiths started to re-emerge and old divisions came back. It was inevitable, but they kind of had to in order to depict this "outcast" or "lesser" clan that no one would believe or listen to.

So... yeah.

That's why even the smallest morsel about HW3 makes me quite excited. :D Because I trust Blackbird Interactive. Heck, I even like taking the hand drawn art of the originals and doing DoK with a more rotoscoped over FMV look! It felt familiar, yet new.

I want for more. I hope for more. Gearbox hasn't been.. kind in this regard, but at least their marketing people are being upfront and honest with us.

But for now? I'll live with this wonderful compromise that supposedly has gameplay implications. :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cYsH8XKL1ns

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
    🐈
    We have an engineer with a soft high-pitched voice. She is nearly impossible to hear in the factory.

On phone she will destroy your eardrums with uncanny loudness.

🐁
    Homeworld 3 is hype, I kind of wish there was early access or something cause Q4/December seems so far away

• AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Homeworld 3 is hype, I kind of wish there was early access or something cause Q4/December seems so far away

Biggest fear in the community at the moment is that it will get pushed back.

... Well, the biggest fear is that it'll get buried and not given the love it should get, being a niche IP. And of course, there's Randy Pitchford. But we make due with what we have.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    navgoose wrote: Β»
    We have an engineer with a soft high-pitched voice. She is nearly impossible to hear in the factory.

??

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xkHwOtTX8cQ

🐈
    emnmnme wrote: Β»
    navgoose wrote: Β»

??

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xkHwOtTX8cQ

Yeah. Forgot about her. Our engineer is a Korean lady.

• emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    TIL Big Band is not its own thing, it's a subgenre of jazz.

• P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    πŸ•
    i didn't find outer wilds emotionally affecting. i got what the ending was going for but i didn't care about any of the characters because i hadn't interacted with any of them enough

Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
  • BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    The most emotionally affecting video game is the one the most people have jerked off to.

• jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    🐍
    Elden Ring whackbonks are whackbonkier than ever thanks to the recent buff

https://youtu.be/a6LVI6VCHnY

• jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    🐍
    Bogart wrote: Β»
    The most emotionally affecting video game is the one the most people have jerked off to.

Dead or Alive: Emotional Masterpiece

• durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    πŸ¦‰
    I cry at all kinds of shit so I don't have too high a bar for emotionally affecting writing.

With games though the major thing that gets me is when I play them alongside someone else. All endings are made more bittersweet when you're like awww this is the end of this part of my life hanging out in this particular way with someone I love.

Also the real hit for me for Outer Wilds was
    Finding out all the friendly aliens doing graffiti didn't actually like mess up, they just were doing interesting superscience and then all died without warning and for no reason.

Also I think of game writing Wildermyth is absolutely the most impressive I've seen because it's fucking semi-random. They manage to make partly randomly generated stories consistently tie together into something with emotional stakes and payoff thanks to clever mechanics and the fact that they can trust the player to participate.

Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
    🐁
    Bogart wrote: Β»

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TVRcxHnQVys

• WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    πŸ•
    I fell super hard for Leliana in Dragon Age Origins and then DAI came out and she wasn't buttering my muffin on the chaise longue

🦐
    P10 wrote: Β»
    i didn't find outer wilds emotionally affecting. i got what the ending was going for but i didn't care about any of the characters because i hadn't interacted with any of them enough

Even without that I felt plenty emotionally invested in the actual plot and happenings
    When you get into the museum in the eye and it tells you that you that you just happened to be unlucky enough to be born at the end of the universe I felt like it was a pretty strong gut punch, and while you might not have gotten much exposure to the characters if you didn't come back to them repeatedly, I still felt something at each of them accepting the fact that this was the end

This discussion has been closed.