As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Chat] with friends.

• KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    🐳
    Early Ultima games have this particular style.
    Talking to people is keyword based. Really, it is a text based game that uses an animated map to represent what is happening.

Then, Ultima 7 switches to a full graphical interface that shows you the keywords to use as they come up in conversation.

Really, if they remade Ultima 9 with a really good plot, people would buy it.

• skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    I have literally had a cup of coffee and then a couple of crackers with cheese to eat today, and that's it

and I still somehow got a little stain on my shirt

wtf

• ZavianZavian universal peace sounds better than forever war Registered User regular
    🐁
    I have literally had a cup of coffee and then a couple of crackers with cheese to eat today, and that's it

wtf

ghost poop

• ZavianZavian universal peace sounds better than forever war Registered User regular
    🐁
    Zavian wrote: »

wtf

ghost poop

vb7e2upduulu.png

• knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    🦬
    I cast Infinity Scarf

Enemy now trapped in a causality loop

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
    edited April 2022
    🐳
    It would actually be great if modern roleplaying games used the keyword system again.
    It is more direct.

I suspect they don't do it because they would have to write more dialogue.

Elden ring uses short phrases. Mass Effect does that too.

Krathoon on
  • TuminTumin Registered User regular
    Krathoon wrote: »
    It would actually be great if modern roleplaying games used the keyword system again.
    It is more direct.

I suspect they don't do it because they would have to write more dialogue.

Elden ring uses short phrases. Mass Effect does that too.

*presses doubt*

I OUGHTA STRANGLE YOU PAL

• nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    The end of Bastian made me tear up

• WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    🐕
    I was a homeowner in Ultima Online

Not even gonna play the housing market is fuuuuuuuuucked

• nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    Abolish the virtual wage system

🐳
    Oh, I forgot. G4 is at PAX.

edited April 2022
    🐁
    we must move past MMO gold currency economies towards NFT barter economy

WTT: NFT of naked kobold wearing sunglasses

Zavian on
    Oh no Tokyo Vice is about a baka gaijin japanophile

• VishNubVishNub Registered User regular
    🐳
    The post-covid or the fuck-it-I’m-tired-of-waiting wedding boom is very real

• OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Including my employer match, I’m contributing 8% of my pay to my 401k since January. And my balance is actually less than my rollover that started this account. My contributions can’t grow it quicker than the market can shrink it lol

Organichu wrote: »
    Including my employer match, I’m contributing 8% of my pay to my 401k since January. And my balance is actually less than my rollover that started this account. My contributions can’t grow it quicker than the market can shrink it lol

You kniw what they say

The first billion takes the longest

🐕
    I spent like twenty minutes plucking away at this dragon with a bow & crossbow, only then it just up and flew away. Then I died and the dragon was back so I just ran over and murdered it with my sword. Like it just crumbled.

🐳
    Ultima Underworld: The Stygian Abyss actually pre-dated DOOM.
    They act like DOOM was so great, but Origin was already doing more complex games with 3D engines.

System Shock pre-dated DOOM.

🐳
    I am always amazed how early 3D games would still fit onto floppies. 3D doesn't take up allot of space. High detail textures and video clips do.

🐳
    Austin Creed has pretty much become the G4 mascot.

• OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    edited April 2022
    They act like DOOM was so great, but Origin was already doing more complex games with 3D engines.

Strike Commander came out in 1993, same year as Doom.

Strike Commander is emphatically a 3D game. Doom is 2.5D at best.

Orca on
    🐳
    Orca wrote: »

Strike Commander came out in 1993, same year as Doom.

Strike Commander is emphatically a 3D game. Doom is 2.5D at best.

They act like Carmack was so great, but people were already making fully 3D games.

I am not dissing Carmack, but he was not cutting edge. He was just keeping up.

🐕
    Playing Doom shareware on the shop class computer

🐳
    Really, the people that made OpenGL were probably more cutting edge back then.

• P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    🐕
    didn't doom 3 have a nutty lighting/shadow system just because carmack went ham

Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
    🐳
    Yeah. I totally missed out on this game.
    https://www.gog.com/en/game/strike_commander

That game was fucking awesome as a kid that was really into military planes and loved Top Gun.

It also brought my 486 DX/33 with 4 megs of RAM to its goddamn knees. I had to learn about TSRs, disk caches, drivers, and custom boots to be able to get it to run.

That stupid game helped put me on the path to becoming a frogrammer, come to think of it.

🐳
    P10 wrote: »
    didn't doom 3 have a nutty lighting/shadow system just because carmack went ham

Yeah. I couldn't really get into Doom 3. I was glad a new team re-imagined it. They did a great job rebooting it. They really play off the campiness of it.

• A Kobold's KoboldA Kobold's Kobold He/Him MississippiRegistered User regular
    🐁
    Zavian wrote: »
    we must move past MMO gold currency economies towards NFT barter economy

WTT: NFT of naked kobold wearing sunglasses

no

Switch Friend Code: SW-3011-6091-2364
  • Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular

The thing about Doom is that it was way faster than those games.

UU is one of my all time favorite games, but even on an adequate machine, it's still a much slower game where the UI takes up like 65% of the screen.

Doom screamed in comparison, and if you had a 486, you were getting like 80% of the screen filled with the gameworld.

🐕
    As a person with horrific sleep disorders Doom 3 was awesome for me. I had bleeding edge PC tech when it released and it was the best kind of nostalgia + spooky

🐕
    The new Dooms I can't get into because it's twitch based combat theatre

🐁

was this the system shock that played like absolute garbage because they hadn’t figured out wasd + mouselook yet

🐳
    Orca wrote: »

That game was fucking awesome as a kid that was really into military planes and loved Top Gun.

It also brought my 486 DX/33 with 4 megs of RAM to its goddamn knees. I had to learn about TSRs, disk caches, drivers, and custom boots to be able to get it to run.

That stupid game helped put me on the path to becoming a frogrammer, come to think of it.

I really missed out on allot of old Origin games back when I had a 486DX2. I even had PC Gamer, but I missed out on some classic games.

GoG and the internet has really exposed me to what I missed. Back in the early days of the internet, it was harder to find out about old DOS games.

• shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    🦕
    Chanus wrote: »
    watching the baseball and just saw a Popeye's commercially advertising their "almost the best selling shrimp in America"

I see that add constantly and all I wonder who is ahead of them.

edited April 2022
    🐕
    What was your first computer that you owned?

Mine was a Sony Vaio desktop, Pentium 2 and on board 3D processing with a 4GB hard drive. Bought it with money from my enlistment bonus for joining the army

Edit: Camp Casey PX, so then I had to cart the whole thing back up to the dmz

Weaver on
    🐁
    The first computer I had was a Gateway desktop of some description that I used to play a ton of games on

Unfortunately it crashed (probs because it had a virus on it) and now I’ll never know what my Civ III saves from when I was 13 look like

TBH they’d probably look like shit

• shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    🦕

The thing about Doom is that it was way faster than those games.

UU is one of my all time favorite games, but even on an adequate machine, it's still a much slower game where the UI takes up like 65% of the screen.

Doom screamed in comparison, and if you had a 486, you were getting like 80% of the screen filled with the gameworld.

The screen realestate made a huge difference.

Weaver wrote: »
    What was your first computer that you owned?

Mine was a Sony Vaio desktop, Pentium 2 and on board 3D processing with a 4GB hard drive. Bought it with money from my enlistment bonus for joining the army.

That was mine specifically? A 300 MHz Celeron (the kind that didn't even have a cache). I nursed that thing for a long damn time since I couldn't afford to upgrade it. At some point I scavenged a 300 MHz Pentium that was getting discarded at work for a tiny boost.

I think I eventually ended up replacing it with some flavor of Phenom Black Edition, probably an X4.

This discussion has been closed.