As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Chat] with friends.

• ZavianZavian universal peace sounds better than forever war Registered User regular
    edited April 2022
    🐁
    Weaver wrote: »
    What was your first computer that you owned?

Mine was a Sony Vaio desktop, Pentium 2 and on board 3D processing with a 4GB hard drive. Bought it with money from my enlistment bonus for joining the army

Edit: Camp Casey PX, so then I had to cart the whole thing back up to the dmz

i dont remember the specs but I remember the hard drive was smaller than a CD-Rom

but at least it ran AOL Online and Warcraft II

Zavian on
  • ZavianZavian universal peace sounds better than forever war Registered User regular
    🐁
    also a lot of this
    2nv47jzrvcsg.png

• WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    🐕
    Orca wrote: »

Mine was a Sony Vaio desktop, Pentium 2 and on board 3D processing with a 4GB hard drive. Bought it with money from my enlistment bonus for joining the army.

That was mine specifically? A 300 MHz Celeron (the kind that didn't even have a cache). I nursed that thing for a long damn time since I couldn't afford to upgrade it. At some point I scavenged a 300 MHz Pentium that was getting discarded at work for a tiny boost.

I think I eventually ended up replacing it with some flavor of Phenom Black Edition, probably an X4.

Slot based processors lol

• A Kobold's KoboldA Kobold's Kobold He/Him MississippiRegistered User regular
    🐁
    have you ever had a day where just doing anything that requires any sort of concentration at all is a big ask

because it feels like i’m having one of those days

doesn’t help that getting a refill on my meds seems to be taking its sweet time

Switch Friend Code: SW-3011-6091-2364
  • japanjapan Registered User regular
    My first computer was the mighty Amiga 500+

🐕
    japan wrote: »

You owned it?

• Havelock2.0Havelock2.0 Sufficiently Chill The Chill ZoneRegistered User regular
    edited April 2022
    🦕
    Krathoon wrote: »
    Ultima Underworld: The Stygian Abyss actually pre-dated DOOM.
    They act like DOOM was so great, but Origin was already doing more complex games with 3D engines.

System Shock pre-dated DOOM.

Stygian Abyss blew my mind when I somehow played a demo of it as a kid.

I can talk to the goblin behind the locked gate and get him to let me in instead of hunting down a key??? What???

Havelock2.0 on
    I've seen things you people wouldn't believe
    japan wrote: »

You owned it?

I still do!

• OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    Still blows my mind that my current CPU has more L2 than the 486 had DRAM. It's got more L3 than the Pentium 133 that replaced it had DRAM.

I bet your average USB controller has more horsepower than that old thing

🐕

Mine was a Sony Vaio desktop, Pentium 2 and on board 3D processing with a 4GB hard drive. Bought it with money from my enlistment bonus for joining the army.

That was mine specifically? A 300 MHz Celeron (the kind that didn't even have a cache). I nursed that thing for a long damn time since I couldn't afford to upgrade it. At some point I scavenged a 300 MHz Pentium that was getting discarded at work for a tiny boost.

I think I eventually ended up replacing it with some flavor of Phenom Black Edition, probably an X4.

I started learning tech by taking that PC apart, and I had some builds after that I did myself but I don't recall the tech progression.

I currently have this gigantic black behemoth of a water-cooled case I'm sure I'll just be swapping parts out forever.

🐁
    Well, as it turns out, we still have the dusty husk that was my old computer because we here at the kobold family are apparently fucking hoarders. Also we never took off the promotional stickers on the front, so it still proudly says that it’s a Gateway 838GM. It also says that it comes with Windows XP and AOL!

• KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    🐳
    Krathoon wrote: »
    Ultima Underworld: The Stygian Abyss actually pre-dated DOOM.
    They act like DOOM was so great, but Origin was already doing more complex games with 3D engines.

System Shock pre-dated DOOM.

Stygian Abyss blew my mind when I somehow played a demo of it as a kid.

I can talk to the goblin behind the locked gate and get him to let me in instead of hunting down a key??? What???

There was allot going on under the hood with Ultima games. Fallout 1 and 2 leaned into that with conversations.
    The Outer Worlds is more like the old Fallout games.

🐕
    Well, as it turns out, we still have the dusty husk that was my old computer because we here at the kobold family are apparently fucking hoarders. Also we never took off the promotional stickers on the front, so it still proudly says that it’s a Gateway 838GM. It also says that it comes with Windows XP and AOL!

No turbo button?!

🐁

I’m STILL using the speakers from that thing and I hate them because of all the wires. It is so past time to upgrade from those fucking things.

🐁
    I'm halfway through Free Guy

I didn't expect it to be about horny AIs

edited April 2022
    🐕
    This is my case

7xfgx9vbc5ce.jpg

Also, bonus for putting up with me, this is Lola

sel8qwm6qk3s.jpg

Weaver on
    edited April 2022
    🐳
    My new laptop has a turbo button. I dare not try it.
    It is an Acer Predator Helios 300. Seems pretty solid so far.

Totally not certain what the button does. Maybe shifts more power to the GPU?

Krathoon on
    🐁

No turbo button?!

No, but it has an Intel Pentium 4 processor 630 (supporting HT technology processor speed 3.0GHz, 800MHz FSB, 2MB L2 cache), a 200GB SATA HD (7200 RPM with 8MB cache), 512 MB DDR dual-channel memory, Double-layer 16x Multi-Format DVD+/-RW and 48x CD-ROM drives, 3 Firewire and 7(!) USB ports, Intel Graphics Media accelerator 900 (PCI-Express ports available), Intel PRO 100 Mbps LAN, and a digital memory card reader (8-in-1)!

🐕
    Back in 2002 army days I was presented with a computer than was having, um issues, I opened the case and a rock fell out.

• 21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    🦉
    Back in 2002 army days I was presented with a computer than was having, um issues, I opened the case and a rock fell out.

What is a computer if not a very smart rock?

edited April 2022

I started learning tech by taking that PC apart, and I had some builds after that I did myself but I don't recall the tech progression.

I currently have this gigantic black behemoth of a water-cooled case I'm sure I'll just be swapping parts out forever.

Not buying a new case with every build? Get outta here.

My progression was:

* Dell 486 DX/33 w/4 megs of RAM, a 240 meg HDD, dual 3.5 and 5.25" floppies, SVGA graphics, and a 2400 baud modem. It came with a 14" monitor, which was the style at the time. $2500 and our first household PC when Mom got tired of shuttling us to use work computers any time we needed to type something up and we complained too much about using the mechanical typewriter. That PC is burned into my memory since it was so formative for me.
    * Dell Pentium 133 with somewhere between 16 and 64 megs of RAM (I seem to have forgotten the amount at some point). 2.5 gig HDD, CDROM(!!!!!), SB AWE32(!!!), and a 15" Trinitron display that was amazing. I think we paid around $3000 for that thing? Eventually added more HDDs, maxed out the RAM, and dropped a 33.6Kbaud modem in there. My sister took that computer to college eventually. Added a 17" Trinitron before she took it.

This is the point at which I began custom builds since I could get what I wanted for a cheaper price.

* The aformentioned Celeron 300 which I upgraded by eventually maxing out the RAM, getting a TV tuner, and putting several more HDDs into. I think I also eventually managed to get my hands on a Voodoo 3, and that was pretty great. This was the computer I took to my first unsuccessful stab at college. I also got a 17" Trinitron, which felt vast at the time.
    * The AMD Phenom whatever that I seem to have forgotten all specifications for. I think at this point I finally got myself an LCD monitor.
    * Intel 4790K, 16 gigs of RAM, nVidia GTX 260, first tiny SSD (64 gigs or something stupid tiny), with 3+ HDDs chained to it. Eventually upgraded to 512 gig SSD and a GTX 1080 Ti (which was hilariously overbuilt for a CPU that old--I obtained it for something like $400 from a bitcoin miner who was dumping his video cards, lol). The computer I rewarded myself with at the end of my internship.
    * Intel 9900K, 16 (or up to 64?) gigs of RAM, took the GTX 1080 Ti with it, 1 TB SSD, a couple HDDs
    * AMD 5950X, 64 gigs of RAM, RTX 3080, 2x2TB SSD, HDDs from previous builds now living in a NAS. My first build from a system integrator. Definitely overpaid, but that was the only way to get my hands on the 5950 and 3080 without paying a scalper or playing roulette trying to beat the bots.

Orca on
    🐕
    AGP ports

well that's clearly obsolete

we've moved on from rocks that think to sand that thinks

edited April 2022
    🐕
    Once networked Unreal 3 local with IDE/serial cables

Weaver on
    🐳
    You get more bang for your buck with Acer computers. They are usually lower price in retail.
    For some reason, they are expensive if you buy directly from them.

🐁
    at least it was a rock and not spiders

Once networked Unreal 3 local with IDE/serial cables

You haven't played until you've used a serial direct connection to wire two computers together.

• JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular

I don't think I owned my own computer until like 2009. I think it was a secondhand dell laptop.

I had access to computers through school or my girlfriend, or work, but didn't own one.
    I bought xbox consoles because the entry point was much lower.

Hell, I didn't have a cell phone until 2007. Goddamn I was broke. Dunked on by the economy and a lack of any parental help and basically being just cast off into the wild with about 300 dollars to my name. I'm lucky I didn't become homeless.

Anyhow, this is why Jebustina and I put money away every month for our kids when they grow up, sp yhey dont have to struggle. That reminds me, I need to invest it in something wise.

I write you a story
    But it loses its thread
    JebusUD wrote: »

I don't think I owned my own computer until like 2009. I think it was a secondhand dell laptop.

I had access to computers through school or my girlfriend, or work, but didn't own one.
    I bought xbox consoles because the entry point was much lower.

Hell, I didn't have a cell phone until 2007. Goddamn I was broke. Dunked on by the economy and a lack of any parental help and basically being just cast off into the wild with about 300 dollars to my name. I'm lucky I didn't become homeless.

Anyhow, this is why Jebustina and I put money away every month for our kids when they grow up, sp yhey dont have to struggle. That reminds me, I need to invest it in something wise.

I suggest Legos.

🐳
    I heard they military has special laptops that filter out sand so they can be used in the desert.

And yeah, computers are an expensive luxury when you're just trying to keep a roof over your head. A console has made a lot more sense bar a few brief years in the 2000s when you could credibly build a $600 PC that wasn't garbage.

• SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    The other part that is annoying is that

Rocks aren't supposed to think and the internet is the rocks taking revenge by driving humanity insane.

Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
    🐁
    bring back hot sweaty LAN parties with giant monitors
    unugel37o0ta.png

• ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    🦉
    shryke wrote: »
    Chanus wrote: »
    watching the baseball and just saw a Popeye's commercially advertising their "almost the best selling shrimp in America"

I see that add constantly and all I wonder who is ahead of them.

i would guess like Red Lobster or Captain D's maybe

Allegedly a voice of reason.
    🐁
    SanderJK wrote: »
    The other part that is annoying is that

Rocks aren't supposed to think and the internet is the rocks taking revenge by driving humanity insane.

life grew out of rocks

now the rocks are back to take it back

• JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular
    edited April 2022
    No wait, I totally forgot I bought a computer with a graphics card from someone for like 150 dollars in 2004. It was alright, it played UT2k4 and Counterstrike 1.6

Then the house got hit by lightning one day and it fried it.

Edit: I don't remember the graphics card exactly but it had Voodoo in the name.

JebusUD on
    I write you a story
    But it loses its thread
  • HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    🐈
    My first PC was a Gateway that I bought with high school graduation money and came with Windows ME installed.

It was actually a decent PC once we fixed the OS situation though I still probably paid $300 too much for it because Gateway.

Fun fact: that Gateway store is now a Dollar Tree

🐁
    shryke wrote: »
    Chanus wrote: »
    watching the baseball and just saw a Popeye's commercially advertising their "almost the best selling shrimp in America"

I see that add constantly and all I wonder who is ahead of them.

hzz1jvagv1zw.png

This discussion has been closed.