As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Chat] with friends.

• WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    🐕
    Zavian wrote: »
    bring back hot sweaty LAN parties with giant monitors
    unugel37o0ta.png

So many of those kids got fresh haircuts thinking they'd finally get laid.

• JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular
    Orca wrote: »
    JebusUD wrote: »
    Orca wrote: »
    Weaver wrote: »
    What was your first computer that you owned?

Mine was a Sony Vaio desktop, Pentium 2 and on board 3D processing with a 4GB hard drive. Bought it with money from my enlistment bonus for joining the army.

That was mine specifically? A 300 MHz Celeron (the kind that didn't even have a cache). I nursed that thing for a long damn time since I couldn't afford to upgrade it. At some point I scavenged a 300 MHz Pentium that was getting discarded at work for a tiny boost.

I think I eventually ended up replacing it with some flavor of Phenom Black Edition, probably an X4.

I don't think I owned my own computer until like 2009. I think it was a secondhand dell laptop.

I had access to computers through school or my girlfriend, or work, but didn't own one.
    I bought xbox consoles because the entry point was much lower.

Hell, I didn't have a cell phone until 2007. Goddamn I was broke. Dunked on by the economy and a lack of any parental help and basically being just cast off into the wild with about 300 dollars to my name. I'm lucky I didn't become homeless.

Anyhow, this is why Jebustina and I put money away every month for our kids when they grow up, sp yhey dont have to struggle. That reminds me, I need to invest it in something wise.

I suggest Legos.

Maybe a Lego NFT

I write you a story
    But it loses its thread
  • OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    unugel37o0ta.png

So many of those kids got fresh haircuts thinking they'd finally get laid.

Sausage-fests, gotta love it

• RonaldoTheGypsyRonaldoTheGypsy Yes, yes Registered User regular
    I got my first PC in like 2005 when I graduated high school with gift money.

• ZavianZavian universal peace sounds better than forever war Registered User regular
    🐁
    what happens at a LAN party stays at a LAN party

• japanjapan Registered User regular
    Krathoon wrote: »
    I heard they military has special laptops that filter out sand so they can be used in the desert.

I have always had a vague idea that my ideal garage setup would involve a Panasonic toughbook

• OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    what happens at a LAN party stays at a LAN party

But the sweaty nerds don't stay at the LAN party, I should know

• KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    🐳
    Nowadays, it is just cheaper to buy a laptop with a docking station. You can get one with a decent GPU without blowing a bunch.

Really, you can still get by with a GTX 1080 in a desktop. I am still using mine. Still plays the current games fine. I can still upgrade it too. Just need to swap the power supply and video card.

• amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    🐕
    Hey chat, what's good this afternoon?

I gassed out choring this afternoon and stopped about an hour or so ago. Did manage to drop off the month's recycling, clean out some stuff in the house and put it in the shed, and had a good lunch with the wife

are YOU on the beer list?
  • SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    Amiga 500+ (second hand around 1991), Pentium I 60mhz (1996), Pentium II 233mhz (laptop, 1999), AMD Athlon 3ghz (2003, first dedicated GPU), Core2Quad (2008, i5 4th gen (2013), AMD 3600 (2019)

Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • japanjapan Registered User regular
    Watching Feel Good

Man this is brutal

🐕
    Nearly forgot that I won a PAX drawing from Mythic, back when Warhammer online was a thing

So I had an alienware case for a while

F7146A7A-1C81-4B53-A6A6-881CF7B6C09A-683-000000911384CC3E_zps92497d94.jpg?width=590&height=370&fit=bounds

• SummaryJudgmentSummaryJudgment Grab the hottest iron you can find, stride in the Tower’s front door Registered User regular
    🦉
    Organichu wrote: »
    Including my employer match, I’m contributing 8% of my pay to my 401k since January. And my balance is actually less than my rollover that started this account. My contributions can’t grow it quicker than the market can shrink it lol

Stocks are on sale man

There is a single (1) day paper $ value of your account matters - the day you cash it out

("there's actually a number of days, as your fund manager begins mixing you into non-volatile instruments as you approach your TRD, but whatever cost average GANG GANG")

Some days Blue wonders why anyone ever bothered making numbers so small; other days she supposes even infinity needs to start somewhere.
  • A Kobold's KoboldA Kobold's Kobold He/Him MississippiRegistered User regular
    edited April 2022
    🐁
    Dad (or maybe someone else IDK) left the dog out on a runner by herself and I had to come down to sit with her so that she wouldn’t howl

Rousey is not a dog that likes being alone

Double edit: it’s not an especially hot day so Rousey’s not going to be overheated and she’s in the shadow of the house to boot

A Kobold's Kobold on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-3011-6091-2364
  • SummaryJudgmentSummaryJudgment Grab the hottest iron you can find, stride in the Tower’s front door Registered User regular
    🦉
    I'm home from a 3 hour ride and a bike meet

margaritas were acquired, and a bunch of tasteful older dudes slobbered over my bike while the kids were unsure what to make of it

Shure 215's wedged deep + a neck gaiter folded double to lock them in has resolved wind noise issues + got my tunes back

bike is wonderful and just PULLS through 2nd and 3rd but it's never punishing, and 1st will take you up to 30mph easy for city bopping. Brilliant.

Some days Blue wonders why anyone ever bothered making numbers so small; other days she supposes even infinity needs to start somewhere.
  • KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    🐳
    What happened is that laptop GPUs are not as expensive as desktop video cards.
    That is starting to change though.
    Mainly, you can get good deals on RTX 3060 laptops. Maybe a 3070 one.
    An RTX 3060 runs Elden Ring great on max settings.

🦉
    I'm halfway through Free Guy

I didn't expect it to be about horny AIs

oh, he found the button

🦉
    Jodie Comer dressed down like a geek is some good stuff

• JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular

Yeah but do they overheat and throttle down to nothing making them essentially useless?

I write you a story
    But it loses its thread
  • zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    🐕
    I had a beer and a burrito bowl for dinner, and now I want a nap.

• ZavianZavian universal peace sounds better than forever war Registered User regular
    🐁
    JebusUD wrote: »

Yeah but do they overheat and throttle down to nothing making them essentially useless?

my 2080 Max-Q runs fine and doesn't overheat or throttle down, but I use MSI Dragon Center to manage settings and an external fan stand which helps with temps

🦉
    the se215s are great and quiet but I just want M O R E

helmet sensory deprivation chamber please

(Comply isolation tips might do this!)

• TuminTumin Registered User regular
    the se215s are great and quiet but I just want M O R E

helmet sensory deprivation chamber please

(Comply isolation tips might do this!)

They do well with babies and high frequency stuff, less well with vibration type stuff. Mine make my earbones ache sometimes walking.

🦉
    the comply tips or the 215s? What are you using them on?

• TuminTumin Registered User regular
    edited April 2022
    the comply tips or the 215s? What are you using them on?

Comply tips on some GR07BE for a long time and now on Starfields

I settled on the T200 I think? I just have a big baggy of them.

Mostly I wanted zero power isolation on airplane, I dont ride., if that isn't obvious.

Tumin on
  • ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • JokermanJokerman Everything EverywhereRegistered User regular
    🐳
    Hakkekage wrote: »
    @Aioua the fact that there are no horsies in the op poll is proof enough that this is a boys club only

Horse or I walk/canter 🐎

Neigh.

margaritas were acquired, and a bunch of tasteful older dudes slobbered over my bike while the kids were unsure what to make of it

Shure 215's wedged deep + a neck gaiter folded double to lock them in has resolved wind noise issues + got my tunes back

bike is wonderful and just PULLS through 2nd and 3rd but it's never punishing, and 1st will take you up to 30mph easy for city bopping. Brilliant.

TELL ME ABOUT THIS GOSHDARN BIKE

edited April 2022
    🐕
    Digging through ancient photobuket account, and this is Chiana and Pilot from Farscape

DSCN5146_zpsf16a9c21.jpg

Weaver on
    🦉
    Jokerman wrote: »
    @Aioua the fact that there are no horsies in the op poll is proof enough that this is a boys club only

Horse or I walk/canter 🐎

Neigh.

9JfBUSAh.jpg

I'm the 2021 Yamaha XSR700 on the left

689cc twin, it's a MT07 with the 70s heritage setup

• emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aIEDWGT7gsk

Wait, don't turtles bury their eggs in the sand? How many nests is this guy crushing by picking up plastic bottles on the beach?

🐕
    also a lot of this
    2nv47jzrvcsg.png

DSCN4824_zpsed863a13.jpg

DSCN4829_zpsd2fda507.jpg

🐁
    i've built a bunch of desktop PCs and repaired even more, but laptop repair remains super scary to me

• nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    Back in the day Glide was a revelation

🐕
    i've built a bunch of desktop PCs and repaired even more, but laptop repair remains super scary to me

It was rough!

• Havelock2.0Havelock2.0 Sufficiently Chill The Chill ZoneRegistered User regular
    🦕
    unugel37o0ta.png

peeps in the lower right hand side using arrow keys and mouse

My god

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe
    🐕
    There were times before WASD

• Havelock2.0Havelock2.0 Sufficiently Chill The Chill ZoneRegistered User regular
    🦕
    Half Life taught me WASD

It was like learning arcane hand gestures

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe
  • JokermanJokerman Everything EverywhereRegistered User regular
    🐳
    Jokerman wrote: »

Horse or I walk/canter 🐎

Neigh.

9JfBUSAh.jpg

I'm the 2021 Yamaha XSR700 on the left

689cc twin, it's a MT07 with the 70s heritage setup

:drool:

It's so beautiful. Was it insane getting a new bike rn?

• RonaldoTheGypsyRonaldoTheGypsy Yes, yes Registered User regular
    true

I remember them

but then I also used arrow keys and xc sd ( with a and f for l and r) for the four buttons of an snes controller for the very legitimate snes games I had on my pc

• ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    What was your first computer that you owned?

Mine was a Sony Vaio desktop, Pentium 2 and on board 3D processing with a 4GB hard drive. Bought it with money from my enlistment bonus for joining the army

Edit: Camp Casey PX, so then I had to cart the whole thing back up to the dmz

Mine was an intel 286 IBM PC/AT clone

no 3d processing whatsoever, with a 5.25" and fancy 3.5" floppy drives, and a 20MB hard drive. It was handed down to me by my dad after he got a Pentium machine.

fuck gendered marketing
This discussion has been closed.