As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Identify these WW2 Ribbons?

spool32spool32 Contrary LibraryRegistered User regular
edited April 2022 in Help / Advice Forum
One of my grandfathers was a naval aviator, a navigator. These were in his things - anyone know what they are?

Thanks folks!

y61xm0l468t3.jpeg

spool32 on

• Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    Just so we're on the same page here

What I see is

Left one is Grey, Red, Black

Right one is White, Yellow, Black

Also what country did he serve

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    Haven't found anything matching those ribbons through Googling

Perhaps a records request might shed some light?

https://www.archives.gov/veterans/replace-medals

Actual replacements would come from the US Navy, but a record of what your grandfather was entitled to should be available through the national archives

Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    FiendishrabbitFiendishrabbit Registered User regular
    I'm pretty sure the one on the left is the british 1939-1945 Star

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
    -Antje Jackelén, Archbishop of the Church of Sweden
  • Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    It might help to know which navy your grandfather was in.

• Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    edited April 2022
    Sorry, he was in the US Navy, on the USS Forrestall in the Med, and elsewhere later.

spool32 on
  • Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    The main thing this thread has taught me is there's isn't some website that lets you search though military awards by ribbon patterns.

You'd think of all the mil nerds out there somebody would've cataloged this.

Or maybe they did and it's just lost in the trash of current-day google.

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    FiendishrabbitFiendishrabbit Registered User regular
    spool32 wrote: »
    Sorry, he was in the US Navy, on the USS Forrestall in the Med, and elsewhere later.

The Forrestal is a post-WWII carrier (1955-1993). And the ribbons don't match any US medal or service ribbons that I know of.

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
    -Antje Jackelén, Archbishop of the Church of Sweden
  • Options
    JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular
    Aioua wrote: »
    The main thing this thread has taught me is there's isn't some website that lets you search though military awards by ribbon patterns.

You'd think of all the mil nerds out there somebody would've cataloged this.

Or maybe they did and it's just lost in the trash of current-day google.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Awards_and_decorations_of_the_United_States_Armed_Forces

This has pictures

and I wonder about my neighbors even though I don't have them
    but they're listening to every word I say
  • Options
    Apparently the ribbon thing is called a rack. Not seeing a lot of 3 color ones, and I'm reading that things were not as standardized back in the day, so these might be specific to whatever military unit he was in.

• Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    I did a lot of looking through what was available on Google, and black-yellow-white looks kind of like something they might have given out in the Army

From what I could tell, 3 colors all roughly the same size is pretty rare, but that didn't really help much in tracking down anything definitive.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    Did you find out anything else?

Perhaps you'd have some luck on r/whatisthisthing

• Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    Haven't found anything else out.... checking in with my mother, she never knew her father so apparently some of the lore is wrong!

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    Based on the design I'd wager they aren't official ribbons of any sort, at least not American. Nearly every ribbon since WWII has been symmetrical or had a clear indication of which part is the top.

More likely possibilities are:

Commemorative ribbons. These are basically purchased or commissioned similar to military coins. Which means the design could come from anywhere and be for anything.

Ribbons from a foreign military. Either awarded or, more likely, traded if he was around foreign military. When friendly servicemembers meet it isn't uncommon to exchange decorations, pins, and coins as souvenirs.

• Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2022
    The best hit I got for the black/gold/white is this eBay listing where someone has hand labled a similar ribbon as "west point"
    flmshqb5q35v.jpg

Which, the colors are right at least but that would be an unofficial ribbon and not an award.

I agree the other one is the 1939-1945 Star.

Aioua on
    life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited April 2022
    Quid's theory of a trade would explain a USN guy having the star. Wonder what he'd have traded for it though.

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    TastyfishTastyfish Registered User regular
    edited April 2022
    "Order of the Serpent" is just casually tossed in there...ah, Spanish Civil War vets

Tastyfish on
  • Options
    HadesHades Registered User regular
    Yeah the one on the left definitely looks like the 1939-45 Star that my grandfather had.

A9HOslWm.jpg